Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old People in Shops/Banks etc.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I'm not whinging about old people.
    I'm whinging about old people who have no consideration for others.

Yet you seem to show no consideration for others. Huh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

starling wrote: »
    Yeah let's be fair everyone, it's only the slow ones he hates.
    Just wondering OP how do you feel about disabled people?

not entirely sure what you mean by that.

shleedance wrote: »
    Yet you seem to show no consideration for others. Huh.

Course I do, provided they show consideration for others, which people holding up a queue definitely don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

I'm not whinging about old people.
    I'm whinging about old people who have no consideration for others.
    Oh, the ironing is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

not entirely sure what you mean by that.

I mean what if your valuable time is being frittered away waiting in a queue because the person in front of you needs more time because they have the sheer effrontery to have a disability?
    Genuine question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I was once the other person behind the counter. Dear god I used to dread the old people coming to the counter. They talk about every single thing that they have going on in their lives, who they saw on the way up, what the grandkids and kids are up to, what the doctor said...

These were people I don't even know! I had no problem getting things for them and even carrying some stuff home for them but I seriously didn't want to hear every detail of their lives! A little chat is fine but these would talk for 10 or so minutes!
    As if a job in a supermarket wasn't soul destroying enough...

starling wrote: »
    I mean what if your valuable time is being frittered away waiting in a queue because the person in front of you needs more time because they have the sheer effrontery to have a disability?
    Genuine question

That's fine, once they're doing their best to get finished as quickly as possible. If they're stopping for a chat with the assistant, then no it's not ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

I can sympathise a little with the op, although I've never targeted the old for this complaint, for me its always been women, who will inevitably use a credit card which wont work evvvvery time.

But I draw the line at the doctors office bit, its not their fault they're knackered and need more time in there.

(the the the card thing wont work...no madam you have to turn it the other way...but it wont fit in sideways, ill just try upside down, or no ill try vertical, how about diagonal ...oh ive pressed the wrong button..try now ..oh but i already (click - bang) a man killed himself today in a supermarket, its believed he couldnt handle the overflowing rage and simply wanted 1 fcking chocolate bar)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I was ages in a queue because of 2 old people holding it up today, and that shop assistant was the only person I've spoken to since yesterday morning, but I still didn't hold anyone up.

Ever been in the doctor's and you've only one person ahead of you in the queue, so you think, this is great, I won't be here long, but the old person who goes in ahead of you ends up staying in there for a whole fu*king hour.

Seems to me like you could do with a bit more interaction and conversation in your life, OP, to stop you becoming a bitter old person who'll go around muttering the youth of today.

I'm not old but there are times now that I count out the change in my hand twice and then hand it to the person behind the counter asking them to count it and mutter to myself I'm turning into my mother. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 sugar_fiend

while its never come close to irritating me , ive found it amusing that on numerous occasions when finding myself queing behind an old person in a shop , they seemed completely taken aback that they had to actually pay once they reached the counter , cashier would say five euro ten , old person slightly jumps in surprise and then goes rooting through their bag for money for the next two mins , I usually have my money at the ready in those circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

What's really annoying is when people (young and old) queue for ages for an ATM, and when they actually get to the ATM, they spend ages looking for their bank card. Could they not have been looking for it while they were in the queue.

I've noticed the same phenomenon in fast food restaurants, where people only look at the menu above the counter, and wonder what they want, when they get to the top of the queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

I feel your pain OP...never mind old people holding up a queue, wait until your stuck behind a fookin hunchback & it keeps nudging you with it's hump...fookin hunchbacks :mad: :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

That's fine, once they're doing their best to get finished as quickly as possible. If they're stopping for a chat with the assistant, then no it's not ok.

Here's a thought: Why not have a quiet word with the person next time? Or is it just easier whining like a bitch on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I will never allow myself to be in such a way that I will hold up other people unnecessarily.

Ha ha, like you'll have a choice in the matter! The spa is strong in this one.

Ha ha, like you'll have a choice in the matter! The spa is strong in this one.

Course I'll have a choice in the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 30,349 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I will go to the shop/Post Office/ bank for them whenever possible, so they won't be holding up others who have to get on with their daily lives.

OP, I say your parents will disown you with an attitude like that. Oh your to slow to go their so I'll do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Course I'll have a choice in the matter

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I don't. I've a serious problem with them holding me up for no good reason though, and yes, I'm aware I'll get old, but I won't make anyone else suffer for it

I'm only half way to being old, and I already want young folks to suffer. I can only imagine how satisfying it must be for old folks to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Here's a thought: Why not have a quiet word with the person next time? Or is it just easier whining like a bitch on here?

Damn right. Stop being a baby, pull yourself together and grow up, then write old people a sternly-worded letter like a man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Whenever I see old people in a queue, I stand behind them and try to fart.
    If succesful I then immediately move to another queue, and make tut-tut noises in their general direction and watch as they squirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

I have had a few memorable experiences with elderly people over the years. I was on the dole for a while once and used to go down to the post office on a Friday morning after 9am to collect payment. Massive queue, maybe 100+, a couple of elderly people always at the front, collecting their pensions etc. They would have had to start queueing around 8.30am in the winter etc.

Both on Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann I have encountered some elderly people with the most offensive body/clothing odour, like an unbearable foul stench, like the supposed smell in the autopsy scene in Silence of the Lambs. I clearly remember the offenders and the paralysed faces of fellow bus travellers, a bit like WW1 gassing victims.

At the Superquinn fish counter on a Friday and Thursday they buy in dribs and drabs, a bit of herring, a bit of plaice, a bit of banter, too slow.

A Dublin Bus came one time and I was behind an elderly couple. They were boarding on the left with their travel passes. I went to enter on the right to validate my commuter ticket. Elderly male hand stretches out blocking me getting on the bus, saying we are first in the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

Whenever I see old people in a queue, I stand behind them and try to fart.
    If succesful I then immediately move to another queue, and make tut-tut noises in their general direction and watch as they squirm.

There'll come a day when you'll take a chance, try to fart and sh1t your pants. There's no walking away from that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

I will never allow myself to be in such a way that I will hold up other people unnecessarily.
    ´
    I'm so looking forward to doing that.
    I'm also going to order Irelands Own and pay for it with a small bag of copper coins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I dillydally, I did it unknowingly until one day at the front of the queue I got a poke in the ribs by some old woman behind me holding a french stick while telling everyone in a 5 meter radius about "her there as cool as a cucumber" and "taking her time" while "everyone else is waiting". I think I space out a bit and lose track of time while shopping, I thought I was doing fine up til then. I apologise in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

If they're holding me up, I usually like to shout "There's the hearse!" and that makes them scurry out the door.

Actually it's not old people that do my head in, it's the tosspots in the queue ahead of me (usually mid 20 somethings) that insist on doing their transaction while nattering on their phone throughout. Then they pull the "hunchback", holding the phone to their ear with their shoulder, while they root in their handbag for a purse or inside their jacket for a wallet. 9 times out of 10 they'll be buying a skinny-latte-frappa-mochachino-grande or some such shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 aghost

MonstaMash wrote: »
    I feel your pain OP...never mind old people holding up a queue, wait until your stuck behind a fookin hunchback & it keeps nudging you with it's hump...fookin hunchbacks :mad: :eek: :D

I feel guilty now for laughing at this. I can just picture Jimmy Carr coming out with it:D

Advertisement