Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old People in Shops/Banks etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Leave them alone, will you? They might be lonely, they might be frail, they might be gone a bit forgetful. Many reasons, sometimes ALL those reasons.

Jeez, people will complain about anything.

Yes, it could have been days or weeks since they talked to someone. But that doesn't wash with you? OH NOES!

If you had bothered to quote the next line of my post you would see why it doesn't wash with me.

No, you just quoted the bit that suited, taking it out of context

Just telling it like it is. This thread hasn't worked out quite as you planned.

I hadn't got a plan for the thread.

I know quite well that you don't get away with giving out about old people on here, but I've just been telling it as it is, without resorting to personal abuse or name calling which are against the rules of almost every forum on the entire internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Henlars67 wrote: »
    If you had bothered to quote the next line of my post you would see why it doesn't wash with me.

No, you just quoted the bit that suited, taking it out of context

:pac:

I saw the next line. You hadn't spoken to anyone in a couple of days. You didn't hold anyone up. Bully for you.

Loneliness (as in, not talking to someone for prolonged periods) isn't even the only reason. Like I said in my first post in this thread, they could be frail, forgetful, have health problems that slow them down etc. etc.

Anyway, you sound charming.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Wattle wrote: »
    I'm living in a small rural town at the moment where everybody knows everybody else and going to the local shops is always an exercise in frustration because whoever is in front of me inevitably adds 5 minutes to their transaction with a nice little catch up chat. 'Oh and how's Cathy and isn't Cassie lookin well?' I know I'm from the city and should cut these yokels a break but I can't help standing behind them and trying to bore through their skulls with my laser vision as steam starts coming out of my ears.
    Awww, my heart goes out to you.....

Have you thought of going back to 'the city'? Surely you're sorely missed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

OP, are you the same person who complained about the hearse holding up the bus in the other thread?

• Advertisement

Just curious Op, do you have grandparents and are you as frustrated by them as other peoples elderly folk :)

Do you own grandparents annoy you as much? IF so, how do your parents feel about your issues with them?

Jake1 wrote: »
    Just curious Op, do you have grandparents and are you as frustrated by them as other peoples elderly folk :)

Do you own grandparents annoy you as much? IF so, how do your parents feel about your issues with them?

They've all been dead for years.

Trolls grow old too you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

coolhull wrote: »
    Awww, my heart goes out to you.....

Have you thought of going back to 'the city'? Surely you're sorely missed there.

I tend to exaggerate a bit on these forums so what I've written probably doesn't reflect the real me at all. Sorry that that went completely over your head.

They've all been dead for years.

ok, so when your parents get elderly, and frailer and more forgetful and slower ,possibly sicker from an array of illnesses, associated with old age, how do you think you will deal with them?

Indeed, wont you annoy yourself when you get old, as you will have become what you once despised?

Sorry if you meant your parents were dead too, just realised you possibly meant that

• Advertisement

Wattle wrote: »
    I tend to exaggerate a bit on these forums so what I've written probably doesn't reflect the real me at all. Sorry that that went completely over your head.
    That's what happens when you don't think before you type. Maybe you'll do better next time.... rolleyes.png

Jake1 wrote: »
    ok, so when your parents get elderly, and frailer and more forgetful and slower ,possibly sicker from an array of illnesses, associated with old age, how do you think you will deal with them?

Indeed, wont you annoy yourself when you get old, as you will have become what you once despised?

I will go to the shop/Post Office/ bank for them whenever possible, so they won't be holding up others who have to get on with their daily lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Tornaxx wrote: »
    D'ya know the way some shops have self-service tills and express tills? How about they open a "I've-nothing-to-do-at-the-moment-so-I-don't-mind-queueing-at-this-slow-till-,-even-if-it-means-elderly-people-in-front-of-me-take-ages-to-get-served-,-whether-they're-slow-at-finishing-their-transaction-or-just-a-bit-lonely-and-want-a-chat" till?

Dynamic, young go-getters and impatient ne'er-do-wells could avoid this till.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I suspect there may be a few coffin dodgers hiding among the post here. They'll be the rather irate ones I'll bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I hope when your old a young efficient guy in a queue pushes you to the ground, when your trying to pay for your shopping and then you''ll look up at them and think I was like that one day. Then you'll remember how much of a inconsiderate person you used be.

I hope when your old a young efficient guy in a queue pushes you to the ground, when your trying to pay for your shopping and then you''ll look up at them and think I was like that one day. Then you'll remember how much of a inconsiderate person you used be.

I will never allow myself to be in such a way that I will hold up other people unnecessarily.

I will never allow myself to be in such a way that I will hold up other people unnecessarily.
    Ahh, the voice of youth.......

Well by the sounds of it your going to have a very lonely sad life by yourself. You seem like an introverted guy who doesn't understand what it is like to be extroverted.
    I say you should do all your shopping and banking online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

coolhull wrote: »
    That's what happens when you don't think before you type. Maybe you'll do better next time.... rolleyes.png

What I wrote is mainly fiction so you're condescending sarkiness is misplaced.

Well by the sounds of it your going to have a very lonely sad life by yourself. You seem like an introverted guy who doesn't understand what it is like to be extroverted.
    I say you should do all your shopping and banking online.

No, I do as little shopping and banking online as I possibly can.

I don't believe in replacing people with machines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

You'd want to read what you wrote so :pac:

Reminds me of "I'm not racist, but...."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Yeah it's plain to see you value the personal touch in your daily business :pac:

Well if that is the way you do your business. You've got to stick in the queue and grin and bear it. I say your so efficient/unfriendly/rude that the employees of shops/banks wouldn't mind losing your custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I hadn't got a plan for the thread.

I know quite well that you don't get away with giving out about old people on here, but I've just been telling it as it is, without resorting to personal abuse or name calling which are against the rules of almost every forum on the entire internet.

And yet you still continue to dig a deeper hole for yourself.

Well done.

Well if that is the way you do your business. You've got to stick in the queue and grin and bear it. I say your so efficient/unfriendly/rude that the employees of shops/banks wouldn't mind losing your custom.

I'm always polite any time I deal with any staff anywhere.
    I know it's not their fault that the people in the queue before me wanted to stay at the counter for the rest of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

I will say one thing:

First world problems. If you have to whinge over such trivial stuff as old people, get over yourself and grow a pair.

And yet you still continue to dig a deeper hole for yourself.

Well done.

what hole?

shleedance wrote: »
    I will say one thing:

First world problems. If you have to whinge over such trivial stuff as old people, get over yourself and grow a pair.

I'm not whinging about old people.
    I'm whinging about old people who have no consideration for others.

I'm always polite any time I deal with any staff anywhere.
    I know it's not their fault that the people in the queue before me wanted to stay at the counter for the rest of their lives.

Well some people talk in shops. Have you ever worked in a shop? The people who generally talk to people in shops are friendlier to the assistants than those that just about their business efficiently.
    You don't live in Manhattan. You live in Ireland. This is why people consider Irish people friendly. Did you ever hear of Irish Hospitality? We're lucky not everyone is like you or the country would be known for efficiently and we would lose the charm that attracts so many International visitors every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

I'm not whinging about old people.
    I'm whinging about old people who have no consideration for others.

Yeah let's be fair everyone, it's only the slow ones he hates.
    Just wondering OP how do you feel about disabled people?

Advertisement