Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old People in Shops/Banks etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

washman3 wrote: »
    You really are a rather pathetic individual.:(
    If there was ever an example of what a horrible bunch of human beings the Celtic Tiger moulded some of us into, this post is exactly it.
    Slow down bud, the party is over.
    Time to come back down to Earth again.
    Some day, you will be that elderly person at the top of the queue.;)

Attack the post, not the poster is the main rule on most forums, and if you can't make your point without name calling then that is fairly pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I hate young people, with their Dr Bob's in their ears and facetwatting away as they dilly dally along the street. I'd love to kick every wan of them up the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I hate young people, with their Dr Bob's in their ears and facetwatting away as they dilly dally along the street. I'd love to kick every wan of them up the hole.

It's the infernal noise out of their Hit Parade Contraptions that annoys me most.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

i hate old people , they are the most selfish of cnuts.

from minor stuff like pushing you out of the way at the bus stop with their trolleys to more major stuff like crying about being means tested for a the medical card knowing their kids and grandkids will be carrying the can while they sit on a whopper load of cash having traded down in the celtic tiger.
    once they get their pension they don't care who is enslaved.
    "i paid my taxes for years, I deserve .... " so what, you deserve nothing.

harping on about how it was better in their day how youngsters have no respect with the drugs and all that.
    "this used to be a lovely area before the drugs"...shut up.

they had no bother turning a blind eye to the carry on of the church or when their kids came home from school black and blue from being caned saying **** like "you must have deserved it".

i realise on review this has little to do with banks . sorry.

Jesus. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭De Bellem

Henlars67 wrote: »
    De Bellem wrote: »

You mean wait outside the shops for them to open? Not really much different than having to wait behind an old person.

Patience is a virtue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Ah, I'll give old people a pass on this one. They've slowed down a lot and things take longer for them to get through, many of them are lonely and/ore don't have a lot to do with their day so they'll get the most they can out of any social interaction.

Now, middle-aged women, they have no excuse. I hope this doesn't come across as sexist as younger females are able to go about their business with the same level of celerity as anyone else. But life experience has taught me that you'd better not get your hopes up of getting anywhere soon if you're behind a middle-aged woman in a queue. I think anyone who's been behind one while waiting to use the bank machine will know what I mean. I've operated ATMs hundreds, maybe thousands of times over the course of my life. I know how long it takes to withdraw cash - I'd say, on average, about 30 seconds, maybe add 15 if you're checking your balance first. I have been behind women who have left me standing their like a plonker for five minutes while they...what is they're doing that could possibly take so long? When I punch in my PIN, there is a very limited set of options on an ATM. I half fancy these chicks have unlocked a game of Tetris, and are plugging away trying to beat their high score, to the detriment of the rest of society.

I came up with a joke the other day in town while it was lashing rain outside and I was I stuck behind a pair of middle-aged women taking out money.

How many middle-aged women does it take to operate a bank machine?

Two: one to hold an umbrella over her friend, the other to take eons carrying out what should be a very brief, simple procedure while I'm left standing in the rain like a ****ing pleb JESUS CHRIST HURRY THE **** UP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Women at ATM's is far worse. Its like theyve discovered narnia in there. Theres only so much you can do with an ATM and yet it takes 10 minutes...

Attack the post, not the poster is the main rule on most forums, and if you can't make your point without name calling then that is fairly pathetic.

Mod

Backseat modding is also against the charter, report posts and let the mods deal with them.

Walshman3 banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

they also wait till all their messages are scanned till they start fumbling around their handbags looking for a miserable few pennies in their tattered purses

Middle aged women at an ATM is something that really annoys me as well, but that's nothing compared to middle aged women pushing a trolley in a supermarket.

They think nothing of bumping it into you or leaving in in the middle of an aisle, or stopping to chat to some other middle aged witch whilst parking their trolleys next to each other and blocking all access to that particular aisle for everyone else.

There is nothing as ignorant as a middle aged woman pushing a trolley in a supermarket, not even an old person at a till.

• Advertisement

Middle aged women at an ATM is something that really annoys me as well, but that's nothing compared to middle aged women pushing a trolley in a supermarket.

They think nothing of bumping it into you or leaving in in the middle of an aisle, or stopping to chat to some other middle aged witch whilst parking their trolleys next to each other and blocking all access to that particular aisle for everyone else.

There is nothing as ignorant as a middle aged woman pushing a trolley in a supermarket, not even an old person at a till.

Is there anybody you do like?
    Do you not have parents or grandparents? :confused:

Chucken wrote: »
    Is there anybody you do like?
    Do you not have parents or grandparents? :confused:

I like people who go about their daily business in an efficient manner, with due consideration for others.

Mod

Jesus lads, putting "I'm not being sexist" in front of something doesn't make it not so, drop all the sexist generalisations now please.

I like people who go about their daily business in an efficient manner, with due consideration for others.

Consideration is a 2 way street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

They play cards fast and furious. They might appear like zombies playing 25 but they are sharks waiting to rip you to shreds. And they eat all the nice sandwiches. Don't play cards with old people OP.

Consideration is a 2 way street.

I have consideration for others. I do my business as quickly as possible when there are others queuing behind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

OP is just jealous that the elderly don't buy him sweets and stuff. Ever since I was knee high, random old people have been going into their pension money to give me sweets etc. when I'm in the shop. All because I have a friendly smile :D:D:D

OP must be Moe Szyslack

I have consideration for others. I do my business as quickly as possible when there are others queuing behind me.

....and they do their business as quickly as they find possible too.

....and they do their business as quickly as the find possible too.

No they don't, they spend ages asking stupid questions, or engaging the shop assistant in random conversation.

No they don't, they spend ages asking stupid questions, or engaging the shop assistant in random conversation.

They might sound like stupid questions to you, but remember not everyone knows it all...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Automated machines ftw, old people don't like them and don't use them

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tornaxx

D'ya know the way some shops have self-service tills and express tills? How about they open a "I've-nothing-to-do-at-the-moment-so-I-don't-mind-queueing-at-this-slow-till-,-even-if-it-means-elderly-people-in-front-of-me-take-ages-to-get-served-,-whether-they're-slow-at-finishing-their-transaction-or-just-a-bit-lonely-and-want-a-chat" till?

Dynamic, young go-getters and impatient ne'er-do-wells could avoid this till.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I won't be hear to long

Bet they could think of some unimportant things to give out about too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

You need to show a bit of kindness, OP. A little bit of patience for the old folk who clearly don't have your get up and go.

Most of us grow old - but most of us grow out of our spoiled brat phase.

You're coming across as a bit of a prick here, quite frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

The smell of entitlement in this thread

You need to show a bit of kindness, OP. A little bit of patience for the old folk who clearly don't have your get up and go.

Most of us grow old - but most of us grow out of our spoiled brat phase.

You're coming across as a bit of a prick here, quite frankly.

Maybe, but at least I haven't resorted to name calling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The smell of entitlement in this thread

Does it smell like wee - just like old people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Why is it that when an elderly person reaches a counter they never ever want to leave it. They ask the most ridiculous questions, take ages counting change and then decide to pay with notes.

Leave them alone, will you? They might be lonely, they might be frail, they might be gone a bit forgetful. Many reasons, sometimes ALL those reasons.

Jeez, people will complain about anything.
    And the usual bull**** excuse that the shop assistant might be the only person they talk to all day doesn't wash with me.

Yes, it could have been days or weeks since they talked to someone. But that doesn't wash with you? OH NOES!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Maybe, but at least I haven't resorted to name calling

Just telling it like it is. This thread hasn't worked out quite as you planned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I'm living in a small rural town at the moment where everybody knows everybody else and going to the local shops is always an exercise in frustration because whoever is in front of me inevitably adds 5 minutes to their transaction with a nice little catch up chat. 'Oh and how's Cathy and isn't Cassie lookin well?' I know I'm from the city and should cut these yokels a break but I can't help standing behind them and trying to bore through their skulls with my laser vision as steam starts coming out of my ears.

Advertisement