Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shut the f*** up about the economy...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

You guys talk like Ireland is a successful nation. It's not. It had 10 years of fake boom and managed to squander it like a degenerate gambler and drunk.

The current government doesn't look like its making any real attempt to change that.

What was that joke going around before the **** hit the fan?

What's the difference between Ireland and Iceland? 6 months and one letter.

Now who's laughing? It's not us that's for sure.

Ireland has never been successful and it never will be until there is a fundamental shift in thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

You and a handful of others have a ludicrous view of Ireland as being like Haiti though. I think that's all most people are debating, they're not saying Ireland is amazing.

You and a handful of others have a ludicrous view of Ireland as being like Haiti though. I think that's all most people are debating, they're not saying Ireland is amazing.

If it wasn't part of the EU it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

mad muffin wrote: »
    If it wasn't part of the EU it would be.

Sometimes I get the impression that you and your ilk secretly crave the country to fail because it'd make you feel special to be right all along.

The bad news for you is that's not going to happen and things are actually slightly more brighter than you'd like to make us believe.

We've won this argument a long time ago, the sooner you give in the better.

Sometimes I get the impression that you and your ilk secretly crave the country to fail because it'd make you feel special to be right all along.
    They're so arrogant. They think they're "better" than other Irish people, when they are no different and come up with no alternatives and make no positive contributions; just expect others to do so. Much of the time, they talk about leaving Ireland, yet don't. And continue whinging from their laptop in their comfy bedroom/living-room in this apparently borderline third world country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

You know what?

With all of what the OP's said, we're still worst than some 3rd world countries when it comes to infrastructure, i.e. - Roads [the ever so infamous patch jobs], and Broadband [we are miles behind]... :pac:

You guys need to get your heads out of the sand. Ireland needs a fundamental shift in thinking. It needs radicle change. No more what you know but who you know attitude. Which the current government still believes in.

You guys have no idea how woefully neglected Ireland's infrastructure is.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

2.2 trillion dollars in debt between 4 million people. Yes, trillion.
    For some perspective Syria has 8 billion dollars in foreign debt and that was noted in Dec 2012. (2 years into a Civil War).
    Yes, we're a nice and shiny country, but to say we're "rich" is adapting the deluded lifestyle of a busted, indebted developer still living in Foxrock.

They're so arrogant...

...as well as condescending, rude, supremacist, dismissive, filled to the brim with ad hominem assaults, negative, pessimistic (which they like to re-brand 'realism' to justify it), inordinately stubborn with unshakeable beliefs, and quite annoying.

Yes, we're a nice and shiny country, but to say we're "rich" is adapting the deluded lifestyle of a busted, indebted developer still living in Foxrock.

'Richest' is what I said, not 'rich'. What's the difference? One is relative and the other is absolute.

Another example of the selective agenda of the Eternal Pessimists.

• Advertisement

You guys need to get your heads out of the sand. Ireland needs a fundamental shift in thinking. It needs radicle change. No more what you know but who you know attitude. Which the current government still believes in.

You guys have no idea how woefully neglected Ireland's infrastructure is.
    Why just because we don't stupidly think it's a borderline third world country does that mean our heads are in the sand? I am fully aware of how poor parts of this country's infrastructure are. We just have some perspective, that's all. It's an insult to people around the world who are actually suffering, to liken ourselves to them.
    You're not making any attempts to change thinking and effect change, just moaning about others not doing it.

Why just because we don't stupidly think it's a borderline third world country does that mean our heads are in the sand? I am fully aware of how poor parts of this country's infrastructure are. We just have some perspective, that's all. It's an insult to people around the world who are actually suffering, to liken ourselves to them.
    You're not making any attempts to change thinking and effect change, just moaning about others not doing it.

You and your ilk should educate yourself.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2010/1207/295229-iceland/

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/dec/07/iceland-exits-recession-third-quarter

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-26/is-remedy-for-next-crisis-buried-in-iceland-view-correct-.html

http://markcrispinmiller.com/2012/12/34714/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/traceygreenstein/2013/02/20/icelands-stabilized-economy-is-a-surprising-success-story/

'Richest' is what I said, not 'rich'. What's the difference? One is relative and the other is absolute.

Another example of the selective agenda of the Eternal Pessimists.
    Sorry.
    You've lost me.
    We're one of the richest countries but we're not rich?
    If Ireland was a personality, we'd be Sean Dunne.
    Still promising to finish that Chomp Tower project, living posh, but owing money to every Tom Dick and Harry.
    The can continuosly being kicked down the road.

I'm quite educated on the topic actually. Nothing you say, no link you post, will make Ireland comparable with a third world country. That notion is just held by teenagers and teen-alike people.

Live somewhere else, like Canada, Germany, Australia, South Korea. Ireland then definite will start looking like a third world country. Definitely a third world country of the developed world.

And I'd love to know how pointing to the success of Iceland actually negates the points I and others have raised here? All it shows is that Ireland is not growing at the same rate as Iceland, but that's not the aim or argument of the thread is it?

If this is what you call debate, you've failed, and I've been watching your posts lately. You're getting steadily worse as a poster as the days go by.

And I'd love to know how pointing to the success of Iceland actually negates the points I and others have raised here? All it shows is that Ireland is not growing at the same rate as Iceland, but that's not the aim or argument of the thread is it?

If this is what you call debate, you've failed, and I've been watching your posts lately. You're getting steadily worse as a poster as the days go by.

You can't see the success of Iceland getting out of the **** in two years and Ireland still firmly in it after six years as an indication of Ireland's systemic degeneracy?

Ireland is like a degenerate. Pure and simple.

Live somewhere else, like Canada, Germany, Australia, South Korea. Ireland then definite will start looking like a third world country. Definitely a third world country of the developed world.
    Well you want it to be. And you're a part of it.

Well you want it to be. And you're a part of it.

I'd be gone tomorrow if I could, but I can't. The bank that I now own a part of won't let me.

I won't get enough for my house to cover the mortgage I owe the bank. And it's their fault in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Have you been to East Germany? Most villages and towns have lost half their people do to East Germans moving to jobs in the west. Part of east Germany has higher unemployment than Ireland.

I seriously doubt you have been to a third world country like the Philipphines where the roads are made of dirt and there is 60 children to a class room

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »
    Have you been to East Germany? Most villages and towns have lost half their people do to East Germans moving to jobs in the west. Part of east Germany has higher unemployment than Ireland.

I seriously doubt you have been to a third world country like the Philipphines where the roads are made of dirt and there is 60 children to a class room

Precisely.

They haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

It's getting almost annoying at this stage to hear the same ould economic dogma sh1te being pumped out en masse by ignorant twats.

So what specifically am I referring to?

Folks who go on and on about how this country is apparently 'broke' and how the country is, for all intents and purposes, f***ed.

The bottom line is that IT ISN'T.

We consistently rank among the richest countries in the world (in the Top 20), whether this rank comes from the IMF, World Bank, or other University studies.

Yes - listen to that word - RICHEST.

And then you've folks on here waffling on about a few euro here and there for cigarettes, or some stupid tax they don't want to pay. To all you people out there:

Don't be such ungrateful self-indulgent greedy little sh1tes. You didn't deserve excess cash in whatever boom and you certainly shouldn't be complaining when a few euro is taken back.

Yes - there is relatively high unemployment compared to what was but big fecking deal. Compare our overall status with the other 80% of countries less rich and able than us and maybe you'll stop complaining and get the bigger picture.

So no - the country isn't broke, and yes, you will survive.

Is that you, Enda?

I said Ireland is a third world country of the developed world. Germany has rebuilt itself from the ground up to become on of the economic leaders of the world in 70 years.

Ireland could barley make a go of it nearly 100 years since it came from under British rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

you guys go around committing ad hominem assaults rather than engaging appropriately.
    This is After Hours. I'd insert a cat picture if I could.

the_syco wrote: »
    This is After Hours. I'd insert a cat picture if I could.

For you. :pac:

Is the IMF in Germany or Ireland?
    As a general rule of thumb the IMF don't enter rich or wealthy countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

That's one of the craziest things I've ever seen written on here.
    Perspective called and asked you to stop by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Is the IMF in Germany or Ireland?
    As a general rule of thumb the IMF don't enter rich or wealthy countries.

They were in the UK in the 1970s.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

In European Economic terms we're seen as steerage class, along with Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain.

The PIIGS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Stevie888

AngeGal wrote: »
    They were in the UK in the 1970s.

Are you sure about that? Do you know what the IMF is?

Advertisement