Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shut the f*** up about the economy...

Options
  • 05-08-2013 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭

It's getting almost annoying at this stage to hear the same ould economic dogma sh1te being pumped out en masse by ignorant twats.

So what specifically am I referring to?

Folks who go on and on about how this country is apparently 'broke' and how the country is, for all intents and purposes, f***ed.

The bottom line is that IT ISN'T.

We consistently rank among the richest countries in the world (in the Top 20), whether this rank comes from the IMF, World Bank, or other University studies.

Yes - listen to that word - RICHEST.

And then you've folks on here waffling on about a few euro here and there for cigarettes, or some stupid tax they don't want to pay. To all you people out there:

Don't be such ungrateful self-indulgent greedy little sh1tes. You didn't deserve excess cash in whatever boom and you certainly shouldn't be complaining when a few euro is taken back.

Yes - there is relatively high unemployment compared to what was but big fecking deal. Compare our overall status with the other 80% of countries less rich and able than us and maybe you'll stop complaining and get the bigger picture.

So no - the country isn't broke, and yes, you will survive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You're the only one shouting about it atm

I haven't seen a 'recession' thread here in ages...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

You're the first person to mention it today so take your own advice OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

You're the only one shouting about it atm

I haven't seen a 'recession' thread here in ages...

Get off the computer and out into the real world and maybe then you'll hear more of this tripe dogma.

And I'm talking about the falsehood that persists about the economy, I'm not referring to people who make legitimate comments concerning it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Get off the computer and out into the real world and maybe then you'll hear more of this tripe dogma.

Tch Tch, thread not going the way you expected OP?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Well said.

My personal pet hate is that from listening to the news youd swear every person was struggling to pay their mortgage. In reality 60% of homes have no mortgage and of the 40% who do, only 12% are in arrears. So 5% overall. I'm not trying to belittle the difficulties faced by those in trouble, but most homes are fine so there shouldnt be so much doom about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

And I'm talking about the falsehood that persists about the economy, I'm not referring to people who make legitimate comments concerning it.

Beats the endless complaining about the weather though OP

Tch Tch, thread not going the way you expected OP?:p

Nah, not at all Humphrey, just the other poster almost implied the only views that were relevant were those discussed on AH. The fact is this problem relates to those outside AH too but that poster obviously thought he was being smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Carnegie

We're borrowing nearly 2 billion every month just to stay afloat. Despite all the austerity and increased taxes our deficit is increasing. Only a matter of time before our lenders realise we can never repay this money and stop lending. I reckon we have 3 years max before it all comes to a head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Yes - there is relatively high unemployment compared to what was but big fecking deal. Compare our overall status with the other 80% of countries less rich and able than us and maybe you'll stop complaining and get the bigger picture
    Great. We're not Somalia. Hip hip hooray

Now get back to work, little pixieheads

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Carnegie wrote: »
    We're borrowing nearly 2 billion every month just to stay afloat. Despite all the austerity and increased taxes our deficit is increasing. Only a matter of time before our lenders realise we can never repay this money and stop lending. I reckon we have 3 years max before it all comes to a head.

Pretty much no Government has the ability to repay all its debts directly. Lenders know this.

Do you think lenders are suddenly going to find out that Ireland is some special case in this sense? Why would you suggest Irish bond yields have been falling consistently over the past couple of years?

• Advertisement

Reekwind wrote: »
    Great. We're not Somalia. Hip hip hooray

Now get back to work, little pixieheads

This thread was designed to shatter the delusion that we're a broke, wrecked, doomed, mid-Apocalyptic economy.

Those who believe such dogmatic tripe are idiots, irrespective of Somalia which you've kindly brought up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Archeron

As long as I know how to love, I know I'll stay alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Carnegie

Pretty much no Government has the ability to repay all its debts directly. Lenders know this.

Do you think lenders are suddenly going to find out that Ireland is some special case in this sense? Why would you suggest Irish bond yields have been falling consistently over the past couple of years?

I'm not talking solely of capital, its only a matter of time before the interest repayments overwhelm us.

Watch what happens our bond yields in the next few months, investors began leaving the bond market in the last fews months and in the last 2 weeks its turned into a stampede.

This thread was designed to shatter the delusion that we're a broke, wrecked, doomed, mid-Apocalyptic economy
    So what, we should shut up and accept economic decline and accompanying hardship because some countries have it worse than us?

Nice try Enda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

It's getting almost annoying at this stage to hear the same ould economic dogma sh1te being pumped out en masse by ignorant twats.

So what specifically am I referring to?

Folks who go on and on about how this country is apparently 'broke' and how the country is, for all intents and purposes, f***ed.

The bottom line is that IT ISN'T.

We consistently rank among the richest countries in the world (in the Top 20), whether this rank comes from the IMF, World Bank, or other University studies.

Yes - listen to that word - RICHEST.

And then you've folks on here waffling on about a few euro here and there for cigarettes, or some stupid tax they don't want to pay. To all you people out there:

Don't be such ungrateful self-indulgent greedy little sh1tes. You didn't deserve excess cash in whatever boom and you certainly shouldn't be complaining when a few euro is taken back.

Yes - there is relatively high unemployment compared to what was but big fecking deal. Compare our overall status with the other 80% of countries less rich and able than us and maybe you'll stop complaining and get the bigger picture.

Exactly, recession doesn't exist, everyone over here seems to be able to afford to have 3, 4 kids no problem, I'e be lucky if we can have a 2nd ...

Plus 4 cars, the ridiculous prices in the supermarkets.... all a big joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Whatever about the economy its this whole ''Lets get out there and show the government were serious'' crap thats getting on my nerves.

Cant go a week without seeing a new protest being shared around Facebook do any of these make a ****ing difference ???? NOPE.

Were not France ffs the Irish government knows full well there running a country full of spineless mouths who are all bark and no bite.

Nothing and i mean NOTHING will ever change here unless its forced threw by the EU. People need to except the only way they will get the big cheeses attention is by shutting down the country and lets face it where all to lazy and comfortable sitting on boards or listening to the six of clock news shouting ****!! at the tv screen.

There are more people living comfortable in Ireland then ones who are struggling.

Whatever about the economy its this whole ''Lets get out there and show the government were serious'' crap thats getting on my nerves.

Cant go a week without seeing a new protest being shared around Facebook do any of these make a ****ing difference ???? NOPE.

Were not France ffs the Irish government knows full well there running a country full of spineless mouths who are all bark and no bite

Nothing and i mean NOTHING will ever change here unless its forced threw by the EU. People need to except the only way they will get the big cheeses attention is by shutting down the country and lets face it where all to lazy and comfortable sitting on boards or listening to the six of clock news shouting ****!! at the tv screen.

There are more people living comfortable in Ireland then ones who are struggling.
    Irony intended?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Reekwind wrote: »
    Irony intended?

No because im not one of these people giving out about the government all the time !!.

Personaly ive got to the stage where i just try and get on with life they cant stop me from living can they ? :)

I dont support most people who complain because most of them have no idea why there even doing it!.

Its one of those situations where everyone has a common outlook uhhhh the government are all *****........ Everyone hates them but no one is gonna stop them are they ? ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Yes - there is relatively high unemployment compared to what was but big fecking deal.

Take it you are not unemployed then ?

This thread was designed to shatter the delusion that we're a broke, wrecked, doomed, mid-Apocalyptic economy.

Those who believe such dogmatic tripe are idiots

You seem to think that just because we have a relatively high GDP per capita that it somehow means we're 'rich' as a country. Rich countries don't need to borrow tens of billions per year in order to keep functioning.

And our national debt is higher as a percentage than both our GDP and GNP. There's a big difference between people moaning about their personal situations and those who rightfully point out that our fiscal situation as a nation is in dire straits. Oh, and it doesn't really matter a fcuk what sort of money people here are making if they're unwilling to spend it and put money back into the economy.. and it's a fact that people are willing to spend less and less of their disposable incomes these days.

We are broke as a nation. If the IMF & EU were to pull out of our affairs tomorrow the **** would hit the fan.. there'd be nothing to pay civil servants with.. nothing to keep hospitals, schools etc open. But yeah.. people who point that out are the deluded ones :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Were all doomed, the country is fecked, I can see it getting a lot worse after this up-coming budget, what will we all do, i'm very worried.

I never benefited from the boom, the economy right now is in tatters and will never recover, what will i do, the pain of it all is too much, we need help from somewhere before it's too late.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

You didn't deserve excess cash in whatever boom.........

Yes I fúcking did mate.

I worked bloody hard for it. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Dick Masterson

OP has obviously never heard of the "lesser evil" fallacy.

Look at it this way, let's Ireland was a slightly racist country, but Russia was a very racist country. Should we ignore racism in Ireland because there's worse racism elsewhere?

No because that would be stupid and your rant was stupid.

We are broke as a nation. If the IMF & EU were to pull out of our affairs tomorrow the **** would hit the fan.. there'd be nothing to pay civil servants with.. nothing to keep hospitals, schools etc open. But yeah.. people who point that out are the deluded ones :rolleyes:

You're the type of guy who reads all this economic blabber and assumes just because you think you know more than anyone else about it, then you've the right to be pessimistic.

The simple fact is that the country isn't broke, everyone else except you and your pessimistic friends can see it.

And bringing up 'If...'s' is quite shocking. The fact is we're not broke and no matter how many 'if this happened, we'd be in ****s' only goes to prove we're not in sh1ts at the moment; at least not to the degree that eternal pessimists like you sort of wish we were as it'd give you something to complain about.

OP has obviously never heard of the "lesser evil" fallacy.

Look at it this way, let's Ireland was a slightly racist country, but Russia was a very racist country. Should we ignore racism in Ireland because there's worse racism elsewhere?

No because that would be stupid and your rant was stupid.

This post was exceedingly stupid.

I acknowledged that unemployment was 'relatively high' compared to the boomtime so I never 'ignored' anything.

And you're the type that throws around these fallacies without having the proper context within which to place it.

Eternal fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

We would have solved all our problems if we plugged all the electrical equipment that we use every day into trees. We'd save loads every year. Recession sorted. Plug it into a tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Dick Masterson

This post was exceedingly stupid.

I acknowledged that unemployment was 'relatively high' compared to the boomtime so I never 'ignored' anything.

And you're the type that throws around these fallacies without having the proper context within which to place it.

Eternal fail.

Yet you don't explain how it was used in the wrong context and you also never explained how my comment was stupid.

You're the type who throws around the word "fail" and hopes it wins an argument. Your debating skills are as weak as your intellect and this isn't 4chan, buddy, so take your immature nonsense elsewhere.

You're the type of guy who reads all this economic blabber and assumes just because you think you know more than anyone else about it, then you've the right to be pessimistic.

And bringing up 'If...'s' is quite shocking. The fact is we're not broke and no matter how many 'if this happened, we'd be in ****s' only goes to prove we're not in sh1ts at the moment; at least not to the degree that eternal pessimists like you sort of wish we were as it'd give you something to complain about.

If I was a pessimist then I'd be saying the country would never recover, and I don't think that. Acknowledging that we're broke right now isn't pessimism, it's realism.

ffs.. I bet you're the type of genius that would have chastised people for suggesting that the housing bubble was about to collapse a few years ago. Those stupid stupid pessimists, eh?
    The simple fact is that the country isn't broke, everyone else except you and your pessimistic friends can see it.

If that's the level at which you can argue your point then there's little sense in continuing to engage with you. You seem to have it all figured out fr yourself... ignore the experts and keep your head firmly buried in the sand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Flagged a taxi one day at the bus stop and three old biddies were muttering no recession in my house.

People should be encouraged to be out spending money in Ireland though if you head away on a weekend to Kerry or get a newish car or have a smashing wedding you'll be told no recession in your house :rolleyes:

What's with the constant judging?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

The simple fact is that the country isn't broke..

Oh I dunno, The country is € 171,484,275,045+ in debt.

I'm not too sure if you know what the definition of broke is OP..

• Advertisement

Nemeses wrote: »
    Oh I dunno, The country is € 171,484,275,045+ in debt.

I'm not too sure if you know what the definition of broke is OP..

That's not real debt.. it's just pessimism :pac:

Advertisement