Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Flash [** Spoilers ** ==> US pace]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Kirby wrote: »
    Right but I'm not talking about its origins, I'm talking about its usage. I mean come on. How many people do you know called Cisco? The only Sisko I know lives on a space station. :P
    How could you forget

And, no, I'm not apologising for getting that song stuck in your head. :p

As for Cisco, he is based on a character from DC comics. I'll say no more about his character in the comic as that would be considered spoilers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Cisco is no sillier a name imo than Dearbhle or Feargal or Caolan.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

Right but I'm not talking about its origins, I'm talking about its usage. I mean come on. How many people do you know called Cisco? The only Sisko I know lives on a space station. :P

It's just quintessentially American to have stupid names. Naming your kid flower or apple or something silly. Or second names used as first names. Like McBride or Smith. Those are surnames guys. Don't name your children that.

I love America but its one of the irritable things about it and it just annoys me when the other characters say his name. Coupled with the fact that the guy playing him can't act....leads to me wanting him to be killed off.

And we wont lack for the comedic effect. Funny lines can be said by anyway. They aren't character specific.

http://www.sheknows.com/baby-names/name/cisco

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

What exactly is the point of that link? Whether the name is of Latin or Spanish descent is irrelevant. It's an American character on an American show based in America. And that's my point.

This is a show with characters called Sisco and Iris. I mean come on guys, is anybody really going to argue with me that the yanks name their kids ridiculous names? Because you are going to lose that argument every day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

What exactly is the point of that link? Whether the name is of Latin or Spanish descent is irrelevant. It's an American character on an American show based in America. And that's my point.

This is a show with characters called Sisco and Iris. I mean come on guys, is anybody really going to argue with me that the yanks name their kids ridiculous names? Because you are going to lose that argument every day of the week.

Peaches
    Heavenly Hiraani Tiger lily
    Brooklyn
    Romeo
    Cruz
    Harper Seven

etc...

• Advertisement

You do realise that there is a huge Latin population in America.
    Hell the company Cisco is called such because of San Francisco. I don't get your aggression to non English versions of names.
    Should Frank be banned? Iris is the name of the character in the Barry Allen story and has been a common name throughout modern history this side of the Atlantic
    Wiki wrote:
    Iris was the 221st most popular name given to baby girls in England and Wales in 2007[1] and was the 315th most popular name given to baby girls born in the United States in 2007. It has ranked in the top 100 names given to baby girls in Slovenia and in Catalonia during the past decade.[2]

Yup. It's happened. People are actually trying to argue Americans don't call their children ridiculous names.

I guess we have a few "Heavenly Hiraani Tiger lily's" in the thread who feel defensive about their odd names.

Yup. It's happened. People are actually trying to argue Americans don't call their children ridiculous names.

I guess we have a few "Heavenly Hiraani Tiger lily's" in the thread who feel defensive about their odd names.

Please explain how Cisco is a ridiculous name? It's as valid a shortening of Francisco as is Frank/Fran and quite popular in non English speaking America

The actor playing him is Carlos Valdes, are you going to give out that he is not called Carl or Charles?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Apple Paltrow Martin, think she will either sue her parents or end up a hippy green peace nutjob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

You know most off these characters come from DC comics.
    Iris has been a main character in "The Flash" and (Fran)Cisco has been around the DC universe since the 80's.

• Advertisement

I don't get your aggression to non English versions of names.

You know, the irony of you saying this is delicious.

You posted this yesterday in the Lost Girl thread....
    As long as they stopped saying Key-ara when referring to Ciara I will be happy

I mean, I could point out what a hypocrite you are being and really go to town but I think I've made my point here.

You know, the irony of you saying this is delicious.

You posted this yesterday in the Lost Girl thread....

I mean, I could point out what a hypocrite you are being and really go to town but I think I've made my point here.

You have gone to the hassle of looking at my post history to fail at catching me and veiling comments about being a hypocrite :rolleyes:

In Lost Girl they are mispronouncing Ciara (even spelling it that way) as Key-Ara. Dyson and Trick are meant to be Irish from medieval Ireland, knowing her from there. Hell Trick was meant to have his kingdom based in Portlaiose. So taking an Irish name for an Irish character (with an admittedly English accent) and having Irish characters mispronounce it is wrong.

Cisco is a valid shortening of Francisco, used by the Latin community in America to a Latin character who is played by a Latin actor. All being based on a character, of the same name, from the comic.
    Problem?

Again, do you have issue with Frank or Francis or Fran?
    Or Carlos the actor not being called Carl or Charles. Not every country speaks English ya know.

I mean look at those stupid Irish calling people Sean. It's stupid and obviously should be JOHN.

No examining of your post history. I hit the Lost Girl thread and saw your post and laughed out loud. It was a happy accidental discovery. And I failed at nothing. You were being a hypocrite. You were bitching about the American pronunciation of Ciara in one thread, and castigating me for doing the same thing in another.

To be honest, you are referencing a show with characters named "Trick", "Bo", "Kenzi" and "Dyson".....the weirdest set of names you will find on any show.

Proves my point further. Americans love stupid names. I fail to see how you can argue otherwise. You are trying to, bless, but it's futile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I can remember when this was all fields, and this thread was about The FLASH

I do to. Then the fanboys arrived to defend the honour of "their" show. I stand by my comment and I shouldn't have been forced to defend it.

The character annoys me, his name annoys me and the actor can't act. I hope they kill him off. At least one person agreed with me so I know i'm not alone in that. A perusal of a few other Flash forums tells me the same.

It was a simple comment and it didn't need ridiculous links to the origins of his name. Some people just take offense to any perceived criticism of the "their" show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

I do to. Then the fanboys arrived to defend the honour of "their" show. I stand by my comment and I shouldn't have been forced to defend it.

The character annoys me, his name annoys me and the actor can't act. I hope they kill him off. At least one person agreed with me so I know i'm not alone in that. A perusal of a few other Flash forums tells me the same.

It was a simple comment and it didn't need ridiculous links to the origins of his name. Some people just take offense to any perceived criticism of the "their" show.

Calling people fanboys because they disagree you is kind of childish, people in every country give kids stupid names, it's just more noticeable in America because they have such a large population, duhh!

No examining of your post history. I hit the Lost Girl thread and saw your post and laughed out loud. It was a happy accidental discovery. And I failed at nothing. You were being a hypocrite. You were bitching about the American pronunciation of Ciara in one thread, and castigating me for doing the same thing in another.

To be honest, you are referencing a show with characters named "Trick", "Bo", "Kenzi" and "Dyson".....the weirdest set of names you will find on any show.

Proves my point further. Americans love stupid names. I fail to see how you can argue otherwise. You are trying to, bless, but it's futile.

"accident"?? Riiiiiiight:rolleyes:

Spelling Ciara as Ciara and mispronouncing it is the same as using a name popular throughout the entire south American continent is the same (just because you don't know it)?

Isabeau is French (Isabel). You have trouble with French names now too?
    Trick is knicknamed such as he is Fitzpatrick
    Kenzie probably from the surname (weird for a Russian character indeed)

Dyson?? You have problems with Dyson? Bugger, you must hate the vacuum cleaning company too.

Have the decency to realise when you have lost a debate lad.

Calling people fanboys because they disagree you is kind of childish, people in every country give kids stupid names, it's just more noticeable in America because they have such a large population, duhh!

And a population that is made up from every other population in the world. So there will always be "local" variations of names used.

Kirby you have yet to explain why it is a stupid name and why a Flash character should not be in the show.

He has been in the comics for years

Why are you treble posting? There is an edit function.

This is off topic and you know what a mod would say. "Take your name debate to pm and keep it out of the thread." And they would be right.

So you can pm me and I can explain in detail why you are wrong......... or you can let it go and accept that other people have different opinions than you and think that first names like "Dyson" are ridiculous. Up to you slick. Frankly I'm sure everyone else is sick of talking about it.

• Advertisement

Why are you treble posting? There is an edit function.

This is off topic and you know what a mod would say. "Take your name debate to pm and keep it out of the thread." And they would be right.

So you can pm me and I can explain in detail why you are wrong......... or you can let it go and accept that other people have different opinions than you and think that first names like "Dyson" are ridiculous. Up to you slick. Frankly I'm sure everyone else is sick of talking about it.

You made a comment in thread about an established character from the comic (and now the show) and were asked to back that comment up with the slightest bit of rational thinking.
    You failed to do so and had several people, in thread, explain how it was a name from a non English language but you persist in your intolerance of other culture.

The actor is playing the character a bit flaky for sure but has shown a ruthless side in developing the ice gun (to kill Barry if needed).

You then call me a hypocrite for some random reason bringing other threads/shows into it.

Cisco is a good character that needs to be somewhat reigned in, regarding mannerisms. Basically just a bit more serious and less "everything is cool bro"

• Registered Users Posts: 60,300 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I like him for this alone.

I loved how even Barry just shakes his head at him

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Mod Warning

Cork Exile/Kirby - The bickering needs to stop. If it continues infractions/bans will be issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So some people don't like the name Cisco and some do. Any chance of leaving that discussion?

Just as a matter of interest, are there any bad guys still alive that know Barry is the Flash apart from Reverse Flash?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So some people don't like the name Cisco and some do. Any chance of leaving that discussion?

Just as a matter of interest, are there any bad guys still alive that know Barry is the Flash apart from Reverse Flash?

Nope, Girder and Plastique(not really a villain but a metahuman) were the only 2 and look what happened to them

Nope, Girder and Plastique(not really a villain but a metahuman) were the only 2 and look what happened to them

Wells has intentionally put them into situations to kill them. Not a nice chap is our Wells is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Wells has intentionally put them into situations to kill them. Not a nice chap is our Wells is he?

Yep any time I see Wells stand up or asking a metahuman to kill somebody , I just know that person is gonna be dead soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I dunno, I don't think it's the case that Wells is a "bad guy" as such, but he clearly has a lot invested in ensuring that the version of history he knows/has seen comes to pass.

Hence when anything comes up that threatens that (and Barry's progression towards filling his role in it), they become expendable/acceptable losses.

Note I'm basing this purely on the series - I know nothing about what the comics suggest :) but Wells is certainly key to the whole thing,
    especially since last week's revelation of his having the/a yellow suit

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I dunno, I don't think it's the case that Wells is a "bad guy" as such, but he clearly has a lot invested in ensuring that the version of history he knows/has seen comes to pass.

Hence when anything comes up that threatens that (and Barry's progression towards filling his role in it), they become expendable/acceptable losses.

Note I'm basing this purely on the series - I know nothing about what the comics suggest :) but Wells is certainly key to the whole thing,
    especially since last week's revelation of his having the/a yellow suit

I'm not saying that he is evil just "Not nice" :)

I just want Grodd!!!

Advertisement