Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Day Slavery

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Currently reduced to a 3 day week, I'm overloaded with work. As a result my boss has asked me a few times to stay a few extra hours to cope with the workload .... Pretty unfair and slaverish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

becost wrote: »
    That's what I'm doing now and averaging a grand a week for less than 1 hour a day. And I regularly work drunk/in my underwear/puffing away on e cigarettes/unwashed/unshaven/farting like mad/etc,etc. :D It was 10 years ago that I was in that situation.

Your surviving not living.

What is it you do now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

du Maurier wrote: »
    What is it you do now?

Online marketing. But you have to think outside the box to make money from it. Most people that try it can't make a living from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

becost wrote: »
    Online marketing. But you have to think outside the box to make money from it. Most people that try it can't make a living from it.

Yeah. I've seen those adds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What is it you do now?

IBEC Ministry of information by any chance?. - always appears to be the same politburo infiltration to workers discussions ... ;-].

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

They say slavery has been abolished except for the convicted fellon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

They say slavery has been abolished except for the convicted fellon

Yeah those lads are worked to the bone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

in the end any thread here seems to revert to travellers are evil, I agree by the way but sometimes the journey is entertaining :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭rustedtrumpet

Give it a rest Kanye West.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

No, his name is Toby:)

Is that you Daphne?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Ah shure it's me culture to keep slaves boss.

No. You're just a greedy bastard.

gozunda wrote: »
    IBEC Ministry of information by any chance?. - always appears to be the same politburo infiltration to workers discussions ... ;-].

No, was just wondering what that person did.

Is that you Daphne?

Is that you, Daniel? :)

Ok grand so....

Ok grand so...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the hellish proposed new ts&cs that Dublin bus workers are being asked to accept, outlined below, equate to modern day slavery!
    What are the proposed changes the bus drivers are striking over:

Labour Court recommendations
    • No proposal to reduce core or basic pay
    • Reductions in rest day and overtime pay on Sunday to double time from 2.5
    • Rest day rate on Monday to Saturday to be paid at a time and a quarter, down from time and a half
    • Monday to Saturday overtime to be paid at time and a quarter for the first two hours and time and a half thereafter, rather than time and a half every hour
    • Public holidays on a normal day to be paid at time and one quarter plus statutory entitlement
    • Public rest day rate and overtime to be paid at time and one quarter plus statutory entitlement
    • The court also recommended that a total of four days self-certified sick leave should be permitted in a calendar year with no more than two such days allowed in a six-month period. This is a change from the seven days a year that drivers currently have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Lack78 wrote: »
    As the saying goes, "Working is the blackmail of survival". It's true, we are largely forced to spend 8+ hours of our day going through an arbitrary process to put food on the tablet and working with people we may not necessarily like. The work can be boring, the hours unsociable, the commutes time consuming and the stress and anxiety can be dangerous to our health.

Employers don't care about your health unless it directly affects their bottom line, we are treated like drones and forced to sit at a desk all day and potentially micromanaged, bullied and intimidated into submission.

I actually made a video in response to this thread:

No one is "forcing" any of us to work 8 hours a day and yes sometimes work can be hard/boring/stressful but no one MAKES us do it. Any one of us could quit tomorrow and go on the dole but then no mortgage no holidays no beers at the weekends no cars no nice clothes. We force ourselves to work these jobs so we can have the nice things we want but the choice is there to not have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

bumper234 wrote: »
    No one is "forcing" any of us to work 8 hours a day and yes sometimes work can be hard/boring/stressful but no one MAKES us do it. Any one of us could quit tomorrow and go on the dole but then no mortgage no holidays no beers at the weekends no cars no nice clothes. We force ourselves to work these jobs so we can have the nice things we want but the choice is there to not have them.

Fair point. Even the lowest paid worker in Ireland today has an infinitely easier life than the majority of people throughout history. Comparing it to slavery is ridiculous. Especially when slavery still exists in the world today.

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/uploads/documents/doc_18561.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Funnily enough I was reading about S. Arabia and its getting rid of slavery only recently.
    They didnt get rid of it, they just changed the name.....

Advertisement