Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Day Slavery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Threads like this make me sad. This is what what happens when you give people too many rights. Moaning and complaining, whining and whinging, they are never happy.

We could go back to this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg3eCHFLoTo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Employers? I know! Thats why so many children died working in mines in the 19 century.

I bet you they never complained about timed toilet breaks or that their swivel chair was too squeaky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Theres more slaves in the world today than anytime in history.

Didnt realise practitioners of this lifestyle could still access the internet.

Maybe I should give it a try after all ?

It's called the dole and rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

becost wrote: »
    Financial services and the company refused to recognize union membership.

Thought only the Americans could get away with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭SolarFlash

Office jobs are not as glamorous as people think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

kneemos wrote: »
    Sounds like a place that could do with a union.What type of work was it op...that is if you haven't signed a privacy contract.

Multinationals don't recognize unions. You can feel free to join one, but it doesn't mean they have to deal with them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Threads like this make me sad. This is what what happens when you give people too many rights. Moaning and complaining, whining and whinging, they are never happy.

Most of these rights are illusory. Even the slaves, when freed, often just chose to continue being slaves as they had no real viable alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

mickrock wrote: »
    You're free to choose who you work for but are still a slave to a wage or you will perish.

Or, maybe, he could get off his hole and work for himself.
    Problem solved.
    Maybe he could set up as a freelance Rent-a-whinger, certainly has the skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Multinationals don't recognize unions.
    Some do.

In more enlightened countries they are compelled to if the majority of workers are members.

Some companies make union membership a condition of employment which is really just as bad as refusing to recognise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Multinationals don't recognize unions. You can feel free to join one, but it doesn't mean they have to deal with them.

Some of them do; some of them don't.

Some will recognise them in their home country but not here.

I used to work for Sanofi and we had a union and i also worked for Kodak and they had a union in the states but not over here.

Both companies closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Financial services and the company refused to recognize union membership.

I agree. These foreign companies that come to Ireland to take advantage of our tax system and workers should be booted out as a priority.

There is a local company here that all of the workforce joined SIPTU en masse,even if the company doesn't recognise them they can certainly organise and inform the workers of their rights.If you're employer wants to play hardball there's no law against the workers doing the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Jonny7 wrote: »
    It's called the dole and rent allowance.

The owners of park benches charge rent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

SolarFlash wrote: »
    Office jobs are not as glamorous as people think.

Some people think it's hell.

The monotonous life, living to scuttle into your cubicle, wearing a rope/tie around your neck and generally being a pissweak administrator with nothing to look forward to, other than artificially altering your mind at weekend breaks or depending on more computers/screens to entertain you with tales of fictional lives. You are always replaceable and the awful few who buy into corporate loyalty and live to forward the companies goals are ultimately the ones who will fall hardest.

I like to think of it as Limbo though. Office work is a nothing life. Spent wasting time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

Problem solved.
    Maybe he could set up as a freelance Rent-a-whinger, certainly has the skills.

That's what I'm doing now and averaging a grand a week for less than 1 hour a day. And I regularly work drunk/in my underwear/puffing away on e cigarettes/unwashed/unshaven/farting like mad/etc,etc. :D It was 10 years ago that I was in that situation.
    Leftist wrote: »

I like to think of it as Limbo though. Office work is a nothing life. Spent wasting time.

Your surviving not living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

That's what I'm doing now and averaging a grand a week for less than 1 hour a day. And I regularly work drunk/in my underwear/puffing away on e cigarettes/unwashed/unshaven/farting like mad/etc,etc. :D It was 10 years ago that I was in that situation.

OK if it was 10 years ago and you're now living this dream lifestyle why is it you're still going on about it? Move on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

have never heard of being timed going tot he toilet...

Common pratice in some places. Saw a factory floor manager standing outside the toilet doors with a stopwatch

OK if it was 10 years ago and you're now living this dream lifestyle why is it you're still going on about it? Move on with your life.

Well, I only got out of office work a year ago, so it's all still quite raw and it's only the last few months that I'm making easy money but thanks for your kind words. If things keep going the way they are now, I'll definitely be moving on with my life with a two year round the world trip starting from early 2014. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

None of us really get to do what we like in work all the time and I have worked in some sole less companies but worse was falimy business that the boss liked to intimate and bully his employees. Saying all that I stayed as I needed the salary. One saying helped me get through the difficult days. A real hero is a man who hates his job but goes to work everyday to support his family.

No a fan of some companies policies and work ethics and bad management can be frustrating and degrading, sole destroying even pointless but with so many unemployed, companies can take advantage of the situation.
    You just have to work out can you continue with a job you dislike for the humble rewards once the tipping point is reached its time to move on hopefully to greener pastures.

visual wrote: »
    None of us really get to do what we like in work all the time and I have worked in some sole less companies but worse was falimy business that the boss liked to intimate and bully his employees. Saying all that I stayed as I needed the salary. One saying helped me get through the difficult days. A real hero is a man who hates his job but goes to work everyday to support his family.

No a fan of some companies policies and work ethics and bad management can be frustrating and degrading, sole destroying even pointless but with so many unemployed, companies can take advantage of the situation.
    You just have to work out can you continue with a job you dislike for the humble rewards once the tipping point is reached its time to move on hopefully to greener pastures.

Find a job doing something you enjoy and you'll never work another day in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Pfff, compared to this guy you are treated like a god op

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/ronaldo-i-am-a-slave-864958.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Jeez plenty of companies in Ireland don't recognise unions.

Ok what the OP described is not literally slavery but some companies really do take the piss. And people can be disingenuous all they like and go on about how he's moaning about nothing (even though they fully know he isn't) and at least it's a job and bla bla but there is nothing wrong with recognising when companies treat staff like dirt.
    Doing what? With what? You need money to set up a business, to market it, to drive customers to it. And it's a big risk - lots of businesses fail. Pointless making it out to be just this really straightforward thing that can easily be done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

its called having job, I suspose you could always check out and become a freeman or something if your not able for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

I work 40+ hours a week, where do I sign up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

hey if you don't like the conditions id say theres many many willing folks to take your place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Or... the companies could improve the conditions.

"Just leave" is a pointless thing to say anyway. People have to have a new job in the bag before they leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Now, instead of Corporation put Tommy Connors and instead of employees put these unfortunates. These despicable fuckers, that treated the unfortunate people that fell in their path for sheer greed and cruelty should be horse whipped. A blight on any nation. The piclinks will open. Now this is slavery:

Slave Trader's Missing Millions

Sunday 15th July 2012By Donal MacIntyre

08399fb7d7becd8eda3d0c3733270fb0:4a1d4d51ba5b9a46a2c1f6030cb80c69

Traveller has £3m stashed in off-shore accounts

NOTORIOUS rogue builder Tommy Connors, convicted of slavery this week, has a staggering stg£3million stashed in offshore bank accounts. The millionaire's claims that his brutal reign of forced labour was part of the Irish traveller tradition failed to convince a jury at Luton Crown Court.
    Cops investigating the sordid racket found Connors senior (52), had £1million in various bank accounts, while another £2m was spread around family members. The Sunday World previously exposed the traveller as Britain's worst rogue builder, who was banned by one council authority from touting for work.
    Trial judge Justice Michael Kay rejected the Connors family claim that they were the victims of racism.
    "The way these defendants brutalised, manipulated and exploited men who had already plumbed the depths of despair as homeless beggars is pure evil," he added.
    Homeless

Investigators are now focused on bank accounts held by family members in the Isle of Man. The Connors family held such sway over the men they recruited off the streets and from homeless shelters that several refused to testify against their captors. One slave, who is still working for the family, broke down in tears when he heard that his gang boss, James John Connors (34) and his wife Josie (31), were convicted of "exploiting and brutally manipulating" men in forced servitude.

d1bd0e67c1e45d2f78a8b306f306bd82:ad62b09a45c76a13e18303aab8edd9ad
    Just hours after the couple brought to four the number of Connors family members convicted of involvement in the slave trade, one worker, believed to be suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, continued work on the family plot at the now notorious Greenacres site in Leighton Buzzard.

Speaking to the Sunday World David Radcliffe (57), said: "I was in tears at the news. It's disgusting. They should never have been convicted. They are my family and it's all a load of b****x."
    Police believe that he is too institutionalised to understand his predicament and all efforts to explain it to him have failed. Radcliffe has been working with the Connors for 15 years and has seen many others come and go, including many of those who testified against the family.
    The Court heard that homeless foreigners, drug addicts and alcoholics were harvested off the streets, had their benefits taken off
    them and were forced to work in the Connors' tarmac business and engage in various building scams. Some said that they were forced to clean the family toilets, had to sleep on faeces-encrusted beds and had access to a shower only once every three months
    at a nearby public toilet.

e39754d38a31e86d2c01170cfafd4003:d34d0eeb147465805f83aca11a836672
    Despite the Judge describing the family as pure evil and sentencing James John Connors to 11 years and his wife Josie to four years, Radcliffe is still loyal to his brutal masters. He said that when the police raided the site with 200 officers last September he refused to go and had to be dragged away.

Social workers and police tried to explain what Stockholm Syndrome does to people, but Radcliffe does not accept their interpretation.
    "This is my life. I know what it is and I am not suffering from that. They have done nothing wrong. It is a Police vendetta," Radcliffe said on Friday evening.
    Police admitted that nine of the 21 slaves picked up refused to testify and give evidence, in what is often a common scenario in people trafficking and domestic violence cases. The Judge in the case said that the Connors' "disdain for the dignity of others is shocking, they were not good Samaritans but violent, cold, hard exploiters".
    The accused look unmoved as the court heard how they effectively ran a modern-day slave racket, threatening to kill and break the bones of anyone who thought of leaving. Prosecutors and victims painted a horrific picture in the worst servitude case heard since slavery was banned just over 200 years ago in these islands.
    Horrific

85197fed7df514fe31c3ae476497275f:498fdbc89886708b9fc87420e464700a
    Washing facilities amounted to a cold water tap for the slaves and there was also no light or heating. The horrific ordeal ended and the investigation began when one of the victims ran from a canvassing operation in Dunstable and hid in the garage of a vacant house to avoid the family last July. The following September, over 200 police officers raided the Connors caravan site and seven of the family were arrested.

Four members of the traveller family were convicted, including family boss Tommy Connors snr. The jury convicted him on one count of holding a person in servitude, one of forced labour and one of assault. Tommy snr's son, Patrick (20), was convicted of conspiracy, forced labour and assault charges.
    His daughter Josie and her husband James John Connors were convicted of servitude and forced labour. James John was also convicted of assault. It is understood that a number of the slaves are considering civil actions for damages.
    The jury failed to reach verdicts on several counts regarding three other sons,Tommy (27), Johnny (28), and James (24), and the prosecution have said that they will go for a retrial on some of the charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Working for a Multinational (office); Being told when you'll start and when you'll finish, as in "we're here till 10 tonight". Being told what to wear. Being told when you can take a break. Being told how to speak. Being timed going to the toilet. People constantly looking over your shoulder. The company expected to be your number 1 priority over everything else. :eek: And it goes on and on. And they didn't even pay well. I threw off the shackles a few years ago but still bare the scars. :D

Our government had given allowed employers rights over and above the any rights of employees

Don't like the sh*te conditions under which you have to work? - then get yourself a anotherr job

Want some job security - ditto

Want Health and safety conditions as per national regulations - unless you a have a squilan an in a bank account - you can't prove nothing

Want to report unsafe and illegal work practices - forget it the HSA have all the relevance of a minnow in a shark tank

Want to report bullying by management - you don't have a chance in hell

Want to get screwed and taken for a ride .. Sign on the dotted line and believe that your employer are actually doing you a favour employing you ..

The government are so interested. In maintaining the live register they don't give a dam what conditions employees work under

Want to work for a profit making companies for just €50 - then sign here
    Company don't have to give u feck all in return

Why do you think the Chinese are starting to put in call centres in Ireland?

Because work conditions and wages are actually lower than mainland China

Go Figure....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you think it's bad here, you should read about how Dubai was built: hundreds of thousands of workers from South Asia, fighting for construction jobs that they know are poorly-paid and highly restrictive, with e.g. passports being held by the contractors so they can't leave. Struggling to send money home to their families, but they accept it because it's still more than they can get at home, which is nothing.

Labour is like any commodity: its value is related to its scarcity. It's basic economics: why should any buyer pay €n for something when they can get it for €n-1 ? Threaten to withdraw your labour, to improve your pay or conditions? That might work ... as long as there's no-one waiting to take your job at reduced pay or conditions.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Who you think you is, Kunta Kinte?

No, his name is Toby:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

floggg wrote: »
    No, it's Toby.

Sorry. If I could just delete my post now;)

Advertisement