Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Modern Day Slavery

• 05-08-2013 1:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭

Working for a Multinational (office); Being told when you'll start and when you'll finish, as in "we're here till 10 tonight". Being told what to wear. Being told when you can take a break. Being told how to speak. Being timed going to the toilet. People constantly looking over your shoulder. The company expected to be your number 1 priority over everything else. :eek: And it goes on and on. And they didn't even pay well. I threw off the shackles a few years ago but still bare the scars. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

You get paid though, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

becost wrote: »
    Working for a Multinational (office); Being told when you'll start and when you'll finish, as in "we're here till 10 tonight". Being told what to wear. Being told when you can take a break. Being told how to speak. Being timed going to the toilet. People constantly looking over your shoulder. The company expected to be your number 1 priority over everything else. :eek: And it goes on and on. And they didn't even pay well. I threw off the shackles a few years ago but still bare the scars. :D

What's your point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    You get paid though, right?

yeah, with jelly beans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My OH bought me a new vacuum cleaner as a present. I call that slavery :(

I love the vacuum cleaner though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

have never heard of being timed going tot he toilet...

• Advertisement

never heard of being timed going tot he toilet...

Not since i was potty training

Probably wouldn't have been so bad if their were prizes for the quickest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Happens quite a bit in call centres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

That's ****ty work but not slavery since you were paid and could leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Who you think you is, Kunta Kinte?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Some call it Wage Slavery.

You're free to choose who you work for but are still a slave to a wage or you will perish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The term you're looking for is 'servant'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I remember when I used work for a living. T'was only a fools game so told the boss to stick it and I packed it in.

Sleep on a park bench now. I have a constant personal aroma that is a combination of urine and tooth plague.
    Never been happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It is an insult to slaves to call your experience as a paid employee who could choose to leave at any time as 'slavery'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I have a constant personal aroma that is a combination of urine and tooth plague.

Tooth plague sounds horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Skid X wrote: »
    It is an insult to slaves to call your experience as a paid employee who could choose to leave at any time as 'slavery'.

I'm sure the slaves will be up in arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Didn't you apply for the job and accept it wilfully?

Is that option available for slaves?

What total sh!te this thread is.

If you want to talk about modern day slavery, let's talk about Mauritania where 10-20% of the population are slaves despite the fact that slavery was apparently abolished as a crime in 2007.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauritania#Slavery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Tooth plague sounds horrendous.

Sounds horrendous and is in fact worse than it sounds, if you can imagine such a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Who you think you is, Kunta Kinte?

No, it's Toby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's all to do with Standard Operating Procedures.(SOP's) To have an efficient and productive work place.

If you want to talk about modern day slavery, let's talk about Mauritania where 10-20% of the population are slaves despite the fact that slavery was apparently abolished as a crime in 2007.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauritania#Slavery

Hang on a minute. I'll just run out and get my Violin. :D

It's slavery by western standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Oman abolished slavery in 1970!
    Mauritania in 1981! (although many people are believed to be still slaves)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolition_of_slavery_timeline#cite_note-71

This is what happens when you become a production unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Oman abolished slavery in 1970!
    Mauritania in 1981! (although many people are believed to be still slaves)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolition_of_slavery_timeline#cite_note-71

In Mauritania, it was 'abolished' in 1981 but it only became a 'crime' from 2007, but this law is not enforced and some would argue not enforceable at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Theres more slaves in the world today than anytime in history.
    IeSleep on a park bench now. I have a constant personal aroma that is a combination of urine and tooth plague.
    Never been happier.

Didnt realise practitioners of this lifestyle could still access the internet.

Maybe I should give it a try after all ?

Yeah but they even put a clause in my contract saying I had to give 3 months notice. I got around this by leaving at the end of my probationary period which was 12 months!

In Mauritania, it was 'abolished' in 1981 but it only became a 'crime' from 2007, but this law is not enforced and some would argue not enforceable at the moment.

Just read your post above now! Funnily enough I was reading about S. Arabia and its getting rid of slavery only recently. Its interesting to note that slavery only disappeared from Tibet once China invaded. Not defending China's actions but maybe the Dalai Lama isn't such the nice guy hes cracked up to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Threads like this make me sad. This is what what happens when you give people too many rights. Moaning and complaining, whining and whinging, they are never happy.

Yeah but they even put a clause in my contract saying I had to give 3 months notice. I got around this by leaving at the end of my probationary period which was 12 months!

Sounds like a place that could do with a union.What type of work was it op...that is if you haven't signed a privacy contract.

Threads like this make me sad. This is what what happens when you give people too many rights. Moaning and complaining, whining and whinging, they are never happy.

Employers? I know! Thats why so many children died working in mines in the 19 century.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Sounds like a place that could do with a union.What type of work was it op...that is if you haven't signed a privacy contract.

Financial services and the company refused to recognize union membership.
    Threads like this make me sad. This is what what happens when you give people too many rights.

I agree. These foreign companies that come to Ireland to take advantage of our tax system and workers should be booted out as a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

We could go back to this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg3eCHFLoTo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Employers? I know! Thats why so many children died working in mines in the 19 century.

I bet you they never complained about timed toilet breaks or that their swivel chair was too squeaky though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Theres more slaves in the world today than anytime in history.

Didnt realise practitioners of this lifestyle could still access the internet.

Maybe I should give it a try after all ?

It's called the dole and rent allowance.

Thought only the Americans could get away with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭SolarFlash

Office jobs are not as glamorous as people think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

kneemos wrote: »

Multinationals don't recognize unions. You can feel free to join one, but it doesn't mean they have to deal with them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Most of these rights are illusory. Even the slaves, when freed, often just chose to continue being slaves as they had no real viable alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

mickrock wrote: »
    You're free to choose who you work for but are still a slave to a wage or you will perish.

Or, maybe, he could get off his hole and work for himself.
    Problem solved.
    Maybe he could set up as a freelance Rent-a-whinger, certainly has the skills.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Multinationals don't recognize unions.
    Some do.

In more enlightened countries they are compelled to if the majority of workers are members.

Some companies make union membership a condition of employment which is really just as bad as refusing to recognise them.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Multinationals don't recognize unions. You can feel free to join one, but it doesn't mean they have to deal with them.

Some of them do; some of them don't.

Some will recognise them in their home country but not here.

I used to work for Sanofi and we had a union and i also worked for Kodak and they had a union in the states but not over here.

Both companies closed.

• Advertisement

I agree. These foreign companies that come to Ireland to take advantage of our tax system and workers should be booted out as a priority.

There is a local company here that all of the workforce joined SIPTU en masse,even if the company doesn't recognise them they can certainly organise and inform the workers of their rights.If you're employer wants to play hardball there's no law against the workers doing the same.

Jonny7 wrote: »
    It's called the dole and rent allowance.

The owners of park benches charge rent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

SolarFlash wrote: »
    Office jobs are not as glamorous as people think.

Some people think it's hell.

The monotonous life, living to scuttle into your cubicle, wearing a rope/tie around your neck and generally being a pissweak administrator with nothing to look forward to, other than artificially altering your mind at weekend breaks or depending on more computers/screens to entertain you with tales of fictional lives. You are always replaceable and the awful few who buy into corporate loyalty and live to forward the companies goals are ultimately the ones who will fall hardest.

I like to think of it as Limbo though. Office work is a nothing life. Spent wasting time.

Or, maybe, he could get off his hole and work for himself.
    Problem solved.
    Maybe he could set up as a freelance Rent-a-whinger, certainly has the skills.

That's what I'm doing now and averaging a grand a week for less than 1 hour a day. And I regularly work drunk/in my underwear/puffing away on e cigarettes/unwashed/unshaven/farting like mad/etc,etc. :D It was 10 years ago that I was in that situation.
    Leftist wrote: »

I like to think of it as Limbo though. Office work is a nothing life. Spent wasting time.

Your surviving not living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

That's what I'm doing now and averaging a grand a week for less than 1 hour a day. And I regularly work drunk/in my underwear/puffing away on e cigarettes/unwashed/unshaven/farting like mad/etc,etc. :D It was 10 years ago that I was in that situation.

OK if it was 10 years ago and you're now living this dream lifestyle why is it you're still going on about it? Move on with your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Common pratice in some places. Saw a factory floor manager standing outside the toilet doors with a stopwatch

OK if it was 10 years ago and you're now living this dream lifestyle why is it you're still going on about it? Move on with your life.

Well, I only got out of office work a year ago, so it's all still quite raw and it's only the last few months that I'm making easy money but thanks for your kind words. If things keep going the way they are now, I'll definitely be moving on with my life with a two year round the world trip starting from early 2014. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

None of us really get to do what we like in work all the time and I have worked in some sole less companies but worse was falimy business that the boss liked to intimate and bully his employees. Saying all that I stayed as I needed the salary. One saying helped me get through the difficult days. A real hero is a man who hates his job but goes to work everyday to support his family.

No a fan of some companies policies and work ethics and bad management can be frustrating and degrading, sole destroying even pointless but with so many unemployed, companies can take advantage of the situation.
    You just have to work out can you continue with a job you dislike for the humble rewards once the tipping point is reached its time to move on hopefully to greener pastures.

visual wrote: »
    None of us really get to do what we like in work all the time and I have worked in some sole less companies but worse was falimy business that the boss liked to intimate and bully his employees. Saying all that I stayed as I needed the salary. One saying helped me get through the difficult days. A real hero is a man who hates his job but goes to work everyday to support his family.

No a fan of some companies policies and work ethics and bad management can be frustrating and degrading, sole destroying even pointless but with so many unemployed, companies can take advantage of the situation.
    You just have to work out can you continue with a job you dislike for the humble rewards once the tipping point is reached its time to move on hopefully to greener pastures.

Find a job doing something you enjoy and you'll never work another day in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Pfff, compared to this guy you are treated like a god op

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/ronaldo-i-am-a-slave-864958.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement