Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavan v Kerry, All-Ireland Quarter Final, Sunday 4th August 2pm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Stoner wrote: »
    Look give it up you were wrong, it is 2 titles in 20 years not 1. Stop shifting the argument, it's no big deal get over it and watch the game.

Are you saying this Dublin team is better than the the team Heffo had in the 70's?
    I didn't shift the arguement, I apologize for my error in arithmetic

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Slattsy wrote: »
    Worst team i've seen in Croker in my life.

What about Donegal? :pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lelantos wrote: »
    Are you saying this Dublin team is better than the the team Heffo had in the 70's?
    I didn't shift the arguement, I apologize for my error in arithmetic
    No one never mentioned Heffo's team except you. The lad was talking about the best Dublin team that this kerry team ever played, this was off the back of questioning how AIs Dublin won in 18 years.
    It's 2013 now heffo retired 1983. Thirty years ago.

No one never mentioned Heffo's team except you. The lad was talking about the best Dublin team that this kerry team ever played, this was off the back of questioning how AIs Dublin won in 18 years.
    It's 2013 now heffo retired 1983. Thirty years ago.
    Which lad? I am referring to Amprodude who said this Dublin team is better than any Kerry has faced before. Incorrect & I gave an example of a better Dublin team Kerry have played.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

As a Dublin fan I have to agree with Lelantos. Kerry are as usual set the bar.The Dubs and everyone else match themselves off that. That's why they've won more all-irelands than the rest of us put together. Dublin on form to date will struggle to live with this Kerry team which are finding form at the key time. Kerry have greatly benefitted with the development of a really strong and reliable mid field to back up what everyone knows is the best forward division in the land. If some of our off form players can find a performance the next day I think we can give Kerry a real good game of it. Should be a good match anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lelantos wrote: »
    Which lad? I am referring to Amprodude who said this Dublin team is better than any Kerry has faced before. Incorrect & I gave an example of a better Dublin team Kerry have played.

How could this kerry team now, play a team from the 70ies, amprodude posted again in the thread, it just refers to the range of Dublin teams that have been available for this kerry team with Gooch etc has had to play, so the Lyons, Caffery, Gilroy teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

As a Dublin fan I have to agree with Lelantos. Kerry are as usual set the bar.The Dubs and everyone else match themselves off that. That's why they've won more all-irelands than the rest of us put together. Dublin on form to date will struggle to live with this Kerry team which are finding form at the key time. Kerry have greatly benefitted with the development of a really strong and reliable mid field to back up what everyone knows is the best forward division in the land. If some of our off form players can find a performance the next day I think we can give Kerry a real good game of it. Should be a good match anyway.

They have set no bar this year, in fact there game so far this year has been terrible.

Kerry have won 36 AI, next Dublin with 23, hardly double.

Looking at Kerry today I did not see any team getting form.

Mayo forwards were powerfull today and will need some stopping and Dublins forwards have been greatly enhanced with the new midfield and attacking players that have come through and have also shown that it is not only Bernard brogan who can take pts/goals.

I would never underestimate Kerry nor any other team in a football semi final but it is my opinion that Dublin have nothing to fear from any of the teams left, we have beaten them all so far this year.

How could this kerry team now, play a team from the 70ies, amprodude posted again in the thread, it just refers to the range of Dublin teams that have been available for this kerry team with Gooch etc has had to play, so the Lyons, Caffery, Gilroy teams.

Isn't that the beauty of Gaa, comparing teams from the past with the present? No point asking me how they could play, I only replied to his hypothesis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Would be very worried if I was a Kerry fan. They really lacked a cutting edge up front today. No real pace in attack at all. The Kerry team of 5 years ago would have beaten that Cavan team by 20 points.
    Cavan very kindly kept handing the ball back to Kerry, but Kerry struggled to really bury them. Donaghy at full forward didnt work, declan o sullivan doesn't really have the pace any more to get space to shoot, darran o sullivan is a half forward. Their best attacker today was Donnacha Walsh who really isnt one of the marquee forwards.

I can't see Kerry beating Dublin, they wont be able to out gun them so will have to play very defensively and hope to sneak a win in a dour low-scoring game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Looking at the game, it seemed that in the first half London would have been a better opponent for Kerry and then in the second half you'd have to ask why Cavan didn't play like that in the first half. They could even have won if they did that. Dublin will hammer Kerry if they play like that the next day, but they won't play like that the next day.

• Advertisement

Kerry may beat Dublin, but this kerry team has no hoodoo over this Dublin team, apart from cluxton I don't think too many of the m were around in 2009, certainly a good few were there for 2011, I don't think kerry are better than they were in 2011. It was a close game then and it will be close in 4 weeks.

This was a poor game today though, hard to take much kerry information from it. Lots of disappointed Cavan lads around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just my 2 cents of what happened today.

First things first, you can only beat what's put on front of you, Kerry didn't get into 1st gear, 2nd even, because they didn't need to.

Regarding Declan O' Sullivan, he was brutal today. On of the best players in the country over the past few years, but he's now a shadow of his former self. Someone was saying he should have been dropped for today (think it was Syferus) and I now whole heartedly agree. Contributed very little and looked slow and lethargic on the ball. Not sure if the cameras picked it up, but in the first half Cooper hit him a nice pass, only for Declan to let it run on and get beaten to it by a Cavan player on his blind side. Declan then proceeded to start yelling at Gooch, and they were going at each other for a good 30 seconds.

Also, Donaghy was useless, another player who is a shadow of his former self. I thought Darran had a good game in the first half but stepped off the boil a bit in the second. Cooper likewise, but I think Kerry in general were getting lazy at that stage. Marc O' Sé was brilliant throughout, and Galvin and Walsh did a lot of dirty work before they were subbed off.

Very hard to judge Kerry's AI credentials on that performance, but it would be silly to write them off.

I feel bad for the Cavan supporters, they travelled in huge numbers and were treated to an abysmal performance. Cavan were found out badly today, the best team they played all year was a good, but not great, Monaghan side, which made them look much better than what they were. A lot of positives for the future, but feet were firmly grounded today, they won't even be challenging in Ulster for a few years yet. Also, it was easily the quietest I have ever heard Croke Park, some difference between the 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

realies wrote: »
    They have set no bar this year, in fact there game so far this year has been terrible.

Kerry have won 36 AI, next Dublin with 23, hardly double.

Looking at Kerry today I did not see any team getting form.

Mayo forwards were powerfull today and will need some stopping and Dublins forwards have been greatly enhanced with the new midfield and attacking players that have come through and have also shown that it is not only Bernard brogan who can take pts/goals.

I would never underestimate Kerry nor any other team in a football semi final but it is my opinion that Dublin have nothing to fear from any of the teams left, we have beaten them all so far this year.
    Yeah but despite winning the league Dublin were made to look very ordinary against Tyrone and Mayo are capable of beating any team as are Kerry despite their problems. It could be a lot closer than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

THFC wrote: »

First things first, you can only beat what's put on front of you, Kerry didn't get into 1st gear, 2nd even, because they didn't need to.

Regarding Declan O' Sullivan, he was brutal today. On of the best players in the country over the past few years, but he's now a shadow of his former self. Someone was saying he should have been dropped for today (think it was Syferus) and I now whole heartedly agree. Contributed very little and looked slow and lethargic on the ball. Not sure if the cameras picked it up, but in the first half Cooper hit him a nice pass, only for Declan to let it run on and get beaten to it by a Cavan player on his blind side. Declan then proceeded to start yelling at Gooch, and they were going at each other for a good 30 seconds.

Also, Donaghy was useless, another player who is a shadow of his former self. I thought Darran had a good game in the first half but stepped off the boil a bit in the second. Cooper likewise, but I think Kerry in general were getting lazy at that stage. Marc O' Sé was brilliant throughout, and Galvin and Walsh did a lot of dirty work before they were subbed off.

Very hard to judge Kerry's AI credentials on that performance, but it would be silly to write them off.

I feel bad for the Cavan supporters, they travelled in huge numbers and were treated to an abysmal performance. Cavan were found out badly today, the best team they played all year was a good, but not great, Monaghan side, which made them look much better than what they were. A lot of positives for the future, but feet were firmly grounded today, they won't even be challenging in Ulster for a few years yet. Also, it was easily the quietest I have ever heard Croke Park, some difference between the 2 games.

Declan played well against Cork and shouldn't have been dropped- he was poor today but is better than anything on our bench.
    Donaghy has been poor for about 2 year now and seems to be going backwards ability wise everytime I see him- he is a one trick pony and has been found out big time

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Yeah but despite winning the league Dublin were made to look very ordinary against Tyrone and Mayo are capable of beating any team as are Kerry despite their problems. It could be a lot closer than you think.

Can you point out where I said it be easy ? I have no doubt that the next game will be hard fought and maybe even close as I did say I don't underestimate any team left.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I don't know how you can say Cavan won't be challenging for Ulster for a few years yet - they challenged for it this year! Monaghan, the eventual champions, only beat us by a point in the semi.

In fairness, Cavan played Monaghan and Derry. Two very good sides. Outside the very clear top six, there's little which could be classed as better. We also beat a Division 2 team in Armagh and Fermanagh twice.

We're proud of our young team in the county. They already performed better this year than we ever expected for such an inexperienced side.

As Rory Dunne said, they'll be back next year and will have learned from this. How many years were Dublin, for example, going to Croke Park taking hidings in quarter finals before they made the breakthrough?

I posted this on another thread but I think it shows this team could have a big future ahead of it:

The Cavan team that started against Kerry today:

O'Mara - 23
    Corr - 27
    Dunne - 24
    Clarke - 20
    McLoughlin - 20
    Clarke - 27
    Flanagan - 25
    O'Reilly - 24
    Givney - 24
    Mackey - 25
    McVetty - 19
    Flanagan - 21
    Reilly - 26
    Dunne - 24
    Keating - 24

Subs:

McDermott - 23
    Argue - 19
    Tierney - 21
    McEnroe - 24
    Brady - 21

Subs that didn't play:

Gilsenan - 20
    Minagh - 23
    Murray - 23
    McKeever - 29
    McCutcheon - unsure
    Brady - 23

Some of those may not be exactly right but I'm sure you get the picture.

And next year's U21s are actually the first set that would have won their age grade at minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Anyone agree with me that Fitzmaurice doesn't have a clue to have left Gooch at centre forward the whole game when it was crying out for him to be moved into the full forward?

think its right to let Gooch play at half foward...there he gets more of the ball than he would in the full forward line and so can dictate the play for Kerry,by far the best play on the pitch today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    think its right to let Gooch play at half foward...there he gets more of the ball than he would in the full forward line and so can dictate the play for Kerry,by far the best play on the pitch today.

He can dictate the play but he's too far from goal to score most of the time. The likes of Kieran Donaghy, Galvin, O'Sullivan and O'Sullivan aren't scoring much.

Basically I think Kerry are fecked when they play Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Dont feel bad for us, we enjoyed the season and Cavan usually do travel in great numbers...Monaghan didnt make us look good, we were good and better than them but Marty Duffy made sure we didnt come out on top...as for future in Cavan GAA, it is positive, very positive.Cavan beat Armagh, Fermanagh (twice) Derry on home turf, a London team who didnt do as bad as Donegal against Mayo --lost on bad decisions in Clones to Monaghan and had our first All Ireland Quarter Final against the Kingdom...after some bad years there is NO NEED to feel sorry for Cavan fans...we enjoyed every minute.
    Its ok for the likes of Kerry, Cork, Mayo or even (London) Galway to get out of a small province, but they wouldnt stand a chance in Ulster....what Im saying is if Galway can play in the Leinster hurling Champs, why not stick Connaught with ulster in an open draw and Leinster with Munster and then switch provinces around every second year?

• Advertisement

muincav wrote: »
    Dont feel bad for us, we enjoyed the season and Cavan usually do travel in great numbers...Monaghan didnt make us look good, we were good and better than them but Marty Duffy made sure we didnt come out on top...as for future in Cavan GAA, it is positive, very positive.Cavan beat Armagh, Fermanagh (twice) Derry on home turf, a London team who didnt do as bad as Donegal against Mayo --lost on bad decisions in Clones to Monaghan and had our first All Ireland Quarter Final against the Kingdom...after some bad years there is NO NEED to feel sorry for Cavan fans...we enjoyed every minute.
    Its ok for the likes of Kerry, Cork, Mayo or even (London) Galway to get out of a small province, but they wouldnt stand a chance in Ulster....what Im saying is if Galway can play in the Leinster hurling Champs, why not stick Connaught with ulster in an open draw and Leinster with Munster and then switch provinces around every second year?
    Apologies, didn't mean to sound condescending or anything, just I was there as well today and there seemed to be a lot of anger from the Cavan support. Yeah, no doubt ye've had an excellent year, and I like the idea of combining the provincial championships, but obviously it'll never happen.

Apologies, didn't mean to sound condescending or anything, just I was there as well today and there seemed to be a lot of anger from the Cavan support. Yeah, no doubt ye've had an excellent year, and I like the idea of combining the provincial championships, but obviously it'll never happen.

Where did you see anger from the Cavan support? I was in a section where people were frustrated that we performed poorly on the day but I wouldn't call it anger.

The team were clapped and cheered off the field for example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Yesterday was great from a Kerry POV, nobody still knows what we are like and Dublin will have to make up a strategy on the day which will be when Kerry are peaking. Cavan were just atrocious, the amount of pulling, dragging and short kickouts was appaling and the referee just didn't want to know as much as if to say, your Kerry deal with it. Cavan went to Croke Park to play puke and had no intention of ever playing football, Kerry sidestepped them with ease and were never remotely bothered unfortunately for all sets of supporters it was the greatest heap of sh1te game to look at, no atmosphere and us Kerry supporters were the most disgusted of all.

I must thank Mayo who gave everyone (bar Donegal) something to cheer about later on when they bombed Donegal and their puke out the gate before half time. Cavan brought good enough support but their team did not deserve a quarter final on merit, they got handy draws and Galway would have been far more deserving of a Quarter final than Cavan as Galway are improving and play a lovely vintage style of football like Mayo & Kerry.

As for the Quarter final against Dublin, it will be a very tough game and there can be no underestimating Dublin who should have 7 goals scored against Cork on another day they could score them. If Kerry improve and can play on especially in the second half then I could see us shading it by 1-2 points. However realistically I am afraid Dublin will win because what will happen is Dublin will revert to type of fouling and cynicism and the referee will give Kerry nothing and do everything to hand it to Dublin like they often do. Kerry will need to build up a good lead if they are to defeat what I am afraid will be a 16 man Dublin team.

As for the bigger picture I hope Mayo go all the way this year and I'd love to see Kerry play them again in what would be the final of the generations not seen since the days of old; and if there is one thing Mayo needs it is to win an All-Ireland and to win it in the style that Mayo deserve they must defeat Kerry in the final and I as a Kerry man would not begrudge Mayo one bit and heaven above knows no team has inflicted as much misery on Mayo as Kerry so they are due this all-Ireland and after yesterdays display of how the game should be played they are more than deserving.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Where did you see anger from the Cavan support? I was in a section where people were frustrated that we performed poorly on the day but I wouldn't call it anger.

The team were clapped and cheered off the field for example.
    Frustration, anger, call it what you want. Section 308, lots of cursing and shouting directed at the Cavan players coming from Cavan fans. No point denying it. Aye, they were clapped off the field, they had a marvellous campaign and got to stage that was above their level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I had a bit of a rant written, but I decided to hold off a little while, in relation to the Minor game.

Did anyone watch it and if so did you have any opinion of it. I'd especially welcome neutral opinion.

I witnessed some of the most thuggish behaviour I have ever seen in Croke Park, and it was all coming from one side. It was a travesty that that Tyrone side get to play in an All Ireland Semi Final.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Cavan brought good enough support but their team did not deserve a quarter final on merit, they got handy draws and Galway would have been far more deserving of a Quarter final than Cavan as Galway are improving and play a lovely vintage style of football like Mayo & Kerry.

Handy draws? I don't see what is handy about Division 2 Armagh, Division 3 Fermanagh, promoted to Division 2 Monaghan and promoted to Division 1 Derry.

Yes, we got a handy draw vs London in the last 12 but at that stage we had already played more games than anyone.

We played six games to get to this stage. Kerry, for example, played three and two of those were against Division 4 teams.

So don't come out here spouting sh!te about handy draws and teams deserving to be there. Cavan had as much a right as anyone in that last 8.

Your other crap about a sixteen man Dublin team is just trolling as well.

Frustration, anger, call it what you want. Section 308, lots of cursing and shouting directed at the Cavan players coming from Cavan fans. No point denying it. Aye, they were clapped off the field, they had a marvellous campaign and got to stage that was above their level.

I'm not denying it but I'd see it more as frustration than anger. We're very proud of this team in the county and how they did.

Experience and future conditioning will hopefully bring this team onto that next level.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I had a bit of a rant written, but I decided to hold off a little while, in relation to the Minor game.

Did anyone watch it and if so did you have any opinion of it. I'd especially welcome neutral opinion.

I witnessed some of the most thuggish behaviour I have ever seen in Croke Park, and it was all coming from one side. It was a travesty that that Tyrone side get to play in an All Ireland Semi Final.

I'm a neutral and I thought Tyrone were physical alright but did Kerry not have a man sent off as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Not that I saw.

Nothing wrong with physicality.

Whats wrong is swinging guys around the neck, Clothes-lining players, kicking players, charging in from 20 yards away to shoulder a guy in the back, 3 players surrounding one player, spitting, punching and stamping. Attacking players after being sent off is also not OK.

What galled me is the fact that they were actually really talented footballers, and showed some great skill in the First half. But once they tired in the second half, the decided that the best way to get something from the game was to stop Kerry playing football at all costs, to get inside their heads and to have them fear that next hit in the back, or that punch to the head at every 50/50 ball.

It worked and they are in an All Ireland Semi-Final, but to see that bollox in a Minor game is shameful, and had me seething with rage to be honest.

Minor games used to be exciting, open games of football where the skills of the young players shone out.

The fact that the Tyrone Centre Back has been sent off in 3 out of his 4 games shows what sort of team this Tyrone side is.

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    Yesterday was great from a Kerry POV, nobody still knows what we are like and Dublin will have to make up a strategy on the day which will be when Kerry are peaking.

As for the Quarter final against Dublin, it will be a very tough game and there can be no underestimating Dublin who should have 7 goals scored against Cork on another day they could score them. If Kerry improve and can play on especially in the second half then I could see us shading it by 1-2 points. However realistically I am afraid Dublin will win because what will happen is Dublin will revert to type of fouling and cynicism and the referee will give Kerry nothing and do everything to hand it to Dublin like they often do. Kerry will need to build up a good lead if they are to defeat what I am afraid will be a 16 man Dublin team.

Such utter crap, its amusing to see you making your excuses for Kerry losing already well done.

Advertisement