Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavan v Kerry, All-Ireland Quarter Final, Sunday 4th August 2pm

Options
  • 02-08-2013 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭

An Cabhán V Ciarraí

So it has come around at last – the biggest game off the weekend.
    The aristocrats of gaelic football, the most decorated team in the province, have won 4 provincial titles in the past three years. Home to some of the greatest players to have ever decorated our game in the past, home of some of the greatest athletes ever to represent Ireland. Allied to that one of the most beautiful counties in Ireland with visitors coming from all corners of the globe to view its beautiful scenery. The top performing team in the country this championship (most wins, top scorer, top scoring goalkeeper, most wins after extra time). Undefeated in All-Ireland finals for 60 years and have won the most all-ireland’s played outside the country.
    Vs
    Kerry (have a few decent players, won a few all-irelands and all-stars over the years, not bad to visit for a holiday and don’t have a border with Meath).

Would settle for a 3 point win tbh.
    Kerry (SFC v Cavan) Brendan Kealy; Fionn Fitzgerald, Marc Ó Sé, Shane Enright; Tomás Ó Sé, Killian Young, Peter Crowley; Anthony Maher, Johnny Buckley; Paul Galvin, Colm Cooper, Donnchadh Walsh, Declan O'Sullivan, Kieran Donaghy, Darran O'Sullivan.
    Cavan: - Team not yet named.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Brilliant opening post!!

I think we will give it a good rattle but will fall short. I just think the Kerry forwards are just a different class. The Gooch and the 2 O'Sullivans will be very hard managed. Their back line is vulnerable though as Cork showed in the Second Half of the Munster Final

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Never underestimate Kerry. This is all new territory for Cavan, but not for Kerry. Kerry feel it is their right to have Sam. It isn't, but I don't think this Cavan team have enough to stop this Kerry team getting to a semi-final. I'd love to see it, but I don't think it is going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Go on Cavan,shock everybody including yourselfs :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Just saw Conor Gilsenan and he didn't have crutches. Here's hoping he might be back.

Jason McLoughlin will definitely start and will mark Gooch I reckon. He was put on Jamie Clarke, Conor McManus and Shane McCabe. The only player gave him the run around was McManus.

Still going to the Christening Lemlin? Cavan will face a baptism of fire and the final whistle should see Kerry confirmed as winners, in communion with Dublin, Mayo and Tyrone, and with Dublin giving Kerry the last rites in the semi-final, after which Eamon Fitzmaurice will confess that Dublin were the better team with Sam and the Dubs making their match in September and no holy orders from the sideline by the opposition manager will stop this from happening. Amen. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Fear that this could be a big winning margin in Kerry's favor, hope not though :)

Dont think Cavan are at the level where they can beat teams like this, but who knows.. look what Monaghan did!

Fear that this could be a big winning margin in Kerry's favor, hope not though :)

Dont think Cavan are at the level where they can beat teams like this, but who knows.. look what Monaghan did!

If Derry were playing Kerry would you be as negative about their hopes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Lemlin wrote: »
    I'd Derry were playing Kerry would you be as negative about their hopes?

Yeah 100% the same, championship football at Croker vs. an in-form Kerry... dont think Cavan or Derry are able for that just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

the easy draw for kerry once more

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Cavan 1-15 Armagh 1-11
    Cavan 0-13 Fermanagh 0-11
    Cavan 0-12 Monaghan 1-10
    Cavan 1-14 Fermanagh 0-10
    Cavan 1-22 Derry 0-20 (AET) was 18 points apiece at the end of normal time
    Cavan 1-17 London 1-08

The Cavan defence have been very solid so far this year, so I really find it hard to imagine a situation where Cavan will get beaten by a very large margin.

However having said that I think Kerry's attack will be a serious step up from the Cavan backs have faced so far in the Championship. Where I think the Kerry forwards will do damage is in terms of being able to recycle ball and create scoring opportunities in the final third, when stood up by the Cavan backs.

Cavan looked really flat/tired against London in a game that was seriously lacking in intensity. Obviously the Derry extra-time was a factor. Was watching some of the game last night and I would be gobsmacked if the pace/tempo of the Kerry game isn't significantly higher. I think in a sense Kerry's advantage in terms of experience is going to be in the mental side of things. Kerry will having been training/planning all year for the proper start of the serious business of the Championship in August, whereas for Cavan it's a novelty to be involved in Championship at this time of year.

Overall I just find to too hard to see Kerry not getting more scores than Cavan and while that may sound simplistic I think that's going to be the winning of the game. If Cavan are going to win I really cant see them doing it unless they get 2 goals minimum and I think that's a very big ask. Kerry by 6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I don't understand some of the mainstream punditry on this game- every pundit is saying, as if it is some personal revelation, that 'Kerry are coming in under the radar'. They cant be under the radar if everyone is saying it!

Also the general consensus is that it will be tight for 60 mins and then Kerry will kick on but that completely ignores how Kerry play tactically- they hit you early and then try play it out.
    I think it will be a similar enough game to the Munster final where Kerry will get a decent lead in the first half- Cavan will rally in the third quarter and come close to them but Kerry will hold out for a 4 point victory

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Does this game remind anyone else of Down v Kerry a few years ago...?
    Even still, its hard to see past Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Is Gilsenan much of a loss if he is absent, the few times I have seen him he has been fairly unconvincing. Didnt he make big errors the last 2 years in all ireland semi finals?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

Best time to get Kerry, they're always vulnerable in the quarters. If Cavan believe in themselves they have every chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

On a more serious note now while I think Cavan will give this a mighty rattle, I think ultimately Kerry will have a few scores to spare. Cavan will not be going up to Croker to make up numbers but most supporters are realistic about our chances and there will be a massive Cavan crowd and it will make for a great atmosphere.

Was watching some of the 1997 match footage today and while it was 16 years ago and the two teams were in very different places, I think it's a reasonable template of how the game will go. Cavan might be a point ahead at half time with getting a goal crucial to this and still in with a shout with 15 to go. Then Kerry class will see them over the line.

Am still dreaming off a Cavan win but a lot would have to go right for us but we are in much better shape than in 97 for the following reasons:
    1. This is a team packed full of winners at underage level - fear will not be such a factor.
    2. We have a game and a win in Croke Park out of the way - this is massive for a county like Cavan.
    3. We have momentum and are battle hardened - although fatigue could be a factor - the Derry game took a massive amount out of Cavan.
    4. We have a better team all over the park and the fittest county team I have seen.

To beat Kerry the following is key.
    1. No mistakes from Keeper especially under high ball - Toasty and Killian Clarke must make sure Star has nothing to feed on too.
    2. The Gooch - McEnroe, Mossy or Damien O'Reilly must follow him everywhere and really starve him off space to operate.
    3. Givney must win midfield battle.
    4. Mackey, Reilly et al must run straight down the middle at the Kerry backs - tying Maher up is key to this too- this is in my view something we could exploit and direct running with ball at Kerry back line could reap rewards.
    5. Keating and Dunne have to be big brave and strong and cannot miss - Kerry are not playing with a natural full-back and we must take advantage off this.
    6. Everyone must work like never before - blocks, swarming - whatever it takes to starve Kerry of ball and space.
    7. We must score goals - if we are to win we will need two.
    8. We must introduce subs at the right time and exploit and advantage we have or any area Kerry are in trouble.

We need to do everyone of these things to win. It would be some achievement if we did and its a massive ask but sometimes strange things happen in sport.

F*ck moral victories chances like these don't come around too often so we need to grab this one by the horns and go for it.

Team announced. McEnroe loses out:

Cavan manager Terry Hyland has just tonight announced his starting fifteen for Sunday's quarter final with Kerry in Croke Park. Jason McLoughlin returns from an injury which saw him lose his place in qualifier rounds 3 & 4 against Derry & London respectively. The Shannon Gaels club-man has impressed all year having marshaled players of the caliber of Patrick McBrearty in the Ulster U-21 FC and Jamie Clarke in Cavan's Ulster SFC opener last May. Whilst the underdog tag is sure to suit the Breffni men, no one doubts that anything other than their best performance of the summer will be enough to reign in the Kingdom.

Cavan will line out 1 to 15 as follows:

1. Alan O'Mara (Bailieborough Shamrocks)
    2. Thomas Corr (Denn)
    3. Rory Dunne (Redhills)
    4. Killian Clarke (Shercock)
    5. Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels)
    6. Alan Clarke (Kingscourt) Captain
    7. Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan)
    8. Damien O'Reilly (Belturbet)
    9. David Givney (Mountnugent)
    10. Cian Mackey (Castlerahan)
    11. Jack Brady (Ramor United)
    12. Feargal Flanagan (Butlersbridge)
    13. Martin Reilly (Killygary)
    14. Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels)
    15. Eugene Keating (Saint Sylvesters)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/all-ireland-quarter-final-preview-kerry-vs-cavan/

Hope this is ok to post here, this is my preview for the match this weekend. There is a bit of a typo at the end (I say Kerry instead of Cavan and hopefully no more then that).

I am a fan of this Cavan team, but I think that Kerry match up really well especially in the backs.
    If Cavan can shut Cooper down, then they are in with a big shout, but I just think he'll find space in Croke Park and provide Donaghy with the ball to set up scores.

Midfield as always will be huge. If Cavan can stop the Kerry forwards getting the ball, then anything can happen. I just think that Maher, Buckley, and the Kerry Half Forward/Back line will be able to provide the forwards like Donaghy, Cooper, D O'S(x2) with enough ball to rack up a pretty decent score.

Cavan will have a tough defence and on a tighter pitch, i'd give them a really serious chance, but Cooper should be able to use every inch of Croker to unlock the Cavan rearguard.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Will really show what Kerry are about, can't say I know a lot about Cavan tbh.
    Maybe a no fear factor might help Cavan. If they are tight with 10 left who knows, but I think that Kerry are going to be ramping it up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

thelad95 wrote: »
    Does this game remind anyone else of Down v Kerry a few years ago...?
    Even still, its hard to see past Kerry
    I would not think so.Down had a history with beating kerry as underdogs in the 60's and in 91.They also played a more fluid,high tempo game ,that was based on the best form of defence is attack.
    Down style always posed a threat to kerry.
    Kerry had injuries leading in to that game also.

Cavan won't give kerry the space cork did,will play to a system,that works and i think they will test kerry.

I hope i am wrong,but i think kerrys forward power,added to their expierence of Croke Park,will see them win it.

Is Gilsenan much of a loss if he is absent, the few times I have seen him he has been fairly unconvincing. Didnt he make big errors the last 2 years in all ireland semi finals?

He commands the area better than O'Meara and is better under a high ball, which could be vital in this game.

Watching Paddy O'Rourke for Meath, and the physical presence he has grown into, I think Gilsenan could match that.

He has made errors but then the lad is still only 20 years of age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Yerra sur Cavan4Sam 2013 yeah? - Didn't someone predict that somewhere :D

Looking forward to a cracking game though; Do Hope Cavan turn up and give us a daycent game now. Don't like being disappointed.

/Hello Padraig (yesh I've read your comments on fb) :eek: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Cavan will line out 1 to 15 as follows:

1. Alan O'Mara (Bailieborough Shamrocks)
    2. Thomas Corr (Denn)
    3. Rory Dunne (Redhills)
    4. Killian Clarke (Shercock)
    5. Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels)
    6. Alan Clarke (Kingscourt) Captain
    7. Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan)
    8. Damien O'Reilly (Belturbet)
    9. David Givney (Mountnugent)
    10. Cian Mackey (Castlerahan)
    11. Jack Brady (Ramor United)
    12. Feargal Flanagan (Butlersbridge)
    13. Martin Reilly (Killygary)
    14. Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels)
    15. Eugene Keating (Saint Sylvesters)[/quote]

Interesting. Only one club has more than 1 player. Often thinks that's good for team building especially in smaller counties.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Screw you Tom, you made me wake the OH with my snort of laughter after reading your OP. Brilliant post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Kerry might just be a step too far for cavan but i hope they give their travelling support something to shout about, best of luck to them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Kerry might just be a step too far for cavan but i hope they give their travelling support something to shout about, best of luck to them

It's Cavan you can expect lots of shouting and noise... about the price of things in Dublin :D

Stinicker wrote: »
    It's Cavan you can expect lots of shouting and noise... about the price of things in Dublin :D

At least they'll turn up in great numbers. Cork do a lot of shouting about the price of going to Dublin. Don't expect many of them there this evening. For both counties though, it should be the last they see of Dublin this year, so they'll have nothing more to complain about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Flukey wrote: »
    At least they'll turn up in great numbers. Cork do a lot of shouting about the price of going to Dublin. Don't expect many of them there this evening. For both counties though, it should be the last they see of Dublin this year, so they'll have nothing more to complain about.

And considering the Journey both Cork, Cavan and Kerry people will make they will still get to their seats on time unlike Dublin who have only a few kilometers to stagger to Croke Park and they still can't get in on time. How many Dublin supporters would go down to Pairc ui Chaoimh or Fitzgerald Stadium this evening if the roles were reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Its a bad time for a game especially considering the journey some of the Cork fans have to travel. Same for Kerry fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

it should be the last they see of Dublin this year, so they'll have nothing more to complain about.

Thats confidence. I havent seen enough of Dublin yet to tell me they are good enough to win the All Ireland. Still think Kerry would take them and beat them out the park if they were to meet them in semi final

Cork have the hurling too dont forget.

• Advertisement

I'm hearing word that Martin Dunne may not be fit to start.

Advertisement