Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging the Vodafone HG658c

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Irish fanboy

Aidan045 wrote: »
    @irish fanboy
    Any chance you can post your method and settings used to connect the Asus directly.
    I have one and was looking to do the same.
    For some reason since the introduction of Voip I can't seem to bridge from the Hg658c.

The ASUS I have has a built in VDSL modem so it doesn't require the original VF modem. I tried bridging the heuwei but the results were terrible.
    I got the ASUS working by following the basic setup and turning on G. Vector in the administration settings under DSL.
    Reboot and it will connect. Getting great speeds now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Aidan045

The ASUS I have has a built in VDSL modem so it doesn't require the original VF modem. I tried bridging the heuwei but the results were terrible.
    I got the ASUS working by following the basic setup and turning on G. Vector in the administration settings under DSL.
    Reboot and it will connect. Getting great speeds now.
    Thanks for the reply and info but I just realised you have the dsl ac68u and I have the rt ac68u.
    Thanks anyway.

So back to bridging the HG658C. Has anybody else done this. I followed an earlier post and it worked before but now when I uncheck tr069 and change it to PPPoE_Bridged the red light comes on the Hg658c and stays on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I've been trying to get this to work for 3 hours...

I've got an ASUS RT66U.

The only thing I can see that's different versus the examples posted is in WAN settings the PTM_INTERNET_B_VID_10 line is showing as Disconnected not Connected. The only Connected line is ATM_TR069_VOIP_INTERNET etc.

Trying to log in on the ASUS with serialnum@vodafone.ie or vodafone@vodafone.ie is just timing out.

edit: lol got it working 2 mins after posting this. Should have changed the line that said Connected, instead of being so literal minded. I'm a derp.

This is the Software version V100R001C172B227
    and this is what i see in Basic/Wan
    ATM_TR069_VOIP_INTERNET_R_8_35 IP_Routed (PPP) Disconnected Enable
    PTM_VOIP_IPTV_R_VID_10 IP_Routed (IP) Connected IPv4 Enable
    PTM_TR069_INTERNET_R_VID_10 IP_Routed (PPP) Connected IPv4 Enable
    INTERNET_R_USB IP_Routed (PPP) Disconnected Enable
    ETH_VOIP_IPTV_R_VID_10 IP_Routed (IP) Disconnected Disable
    ETH_TR069_INTERNET_R_VID_10 IP_Routed (PPP) Disconnected Enable

An earlier post says
    (1. Reset Vodafone router with paperclip in reset button. Disconnect LAN cable from your primary router. The firmware update was pushed to my router almost immediately but might take longer for others; it triggers a reboot. You can confirm you have the latest firmware in step 3.
    2. Connect your PC to Vodafone router via LAN or Wifi and logon as normal using vodafone / vodafone
    3. Go into Status => Device to ensure the software version ends in B214
    4. Go into Basic => LAN and disable DHCP server
    5. Go into Basic => WAN, select second item in list (PTM_INTERNET). (Make a note of your Vodafone username here if you hadn't before - you'll need it when logging into PPPoE on your primary router.) Change connection type to PPPoE_Bridged. Uncheck TR069 and VOIP options.
    6. Click Submit and power cycle the router for good measure.
    7. Connect Ethernet lan 1 port on voda router to WAN port on primary router. Primary router should have DHCP server enabled.
    8. Disable voda wifi by pressing Wifi button on voda router (green light should go out).
    9. Your primary router should now be connecting to your vodafone router (now just a dumb modem) via PPPoE using your Vodafone username from earlier. Password is broadband.")

So when i get to step 5 i have an extra line for voip
    In it IPTV is checked and VOIP is checked
    In the PTM_TR069_INTERNET_R_VID_10 line INTERNET is checked and TR069 is checked
    So my question is which boxes should be unchecked and which should be checked because when i uncheck TRO69 I get a red light and no internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Conar

This is the Software version ....

Sorry for not replying earlier I had to get a chance to connect to my vodafone router to check.
    On my earlier software version all WAN connections are enabled.
    The one you want to set to bridged though is PTM_INTERNET_B_VID_10

So click on it and underneath in the box that opens tick 'WAN connection Enable'

SERVICE LIST tick INTERNET and at don't use VOIP so don't have that selected but perhaps try without first and see if Internet is working fine then go back and enable VOIP

Then simply set Connection Type to PPPoE_Bridged.

Hit submit.

PTM_INTERNET_B_VID_10 is for VDSL ("fibre") connections. ATM_TR069_VOIP_INTERNET is for regular ADSL or ADSL2+ connections. So the one you bridge depends on the service type you have.

I have a fibre connection
    but with the new software version the two lines below are different and are the only ones connected

PTM_VOIP_IPTV_R_VID_10 IP_Routed (IP) Connected
    PTM_TR069_INTERNET_R_VID_10 IP_Routed (PPP) Connected

In the PTM_TR069_INTERNET_R_VID_10 line if i dont uncheck TRO69 and set to PPPoE bridge mode i get the error message (Service should be INTERNET or SHARENET for bridge-type connection.)
    if I do uncheck TRO69 and set to PPPoE bridge mode I get a red light and no internet connection and also have to hard reset to log in again.

I have a fibre connection
    but with the new software version the two lines below are different and are the only ones connected

PTM_VOIP_IPTV_R_VID_10 IP_Routed (IP) Connected
    PTM_TR069_INTERNET_R_VID_10 IP_Routed (PPP) Connected

In the PTM_TR069_INTERNET_R_VID_10 line if i dont uncheck TRO69 and set to PPPoE bridge mode i get the error message (Service should be INTERNET or SHARENET for bridge-type connection.)
    if I do uncheck TRO69 and set to PPPoE bridge mode I get a red light and no internet connection and also have to hard reset to log in again.

Can you send a screenshot of STATUS/WAN?

Here it is

• Advertisement

K. Yeah that's quite different to mine but I would assume that PTM_TR069_INTERNET_R_VID_10 is the correct one as it's showing as having a dns server configured against it so must be your Vdsl connection.

So when you uncheck TR069 and set it to PPPoE bridge mode. The light goes red but are you then connecting the new router to one of the Hg658c LAN ports and configuring PPPoE there and initiating the connection?

(sorry if I'm just going over what you've done.)

Also what IP address have you set for your Hg658c and what have you set for your Asus router?
    Which port are you going into on your Asus router?

First off i want to say thanks for taking the time to help.
    secondly im a complete plank
    After reading your reply (are you then connecting the new router to one of the Hg658c LAN ports )
    i saw the problem i had it connected from the red wan port on the HG658 and not as you pointed out the lan port
    it now works perfectly.
    so once again sorry and thanks.

First off i want to say thanks for taking the time to help.
    secondly im a complete plank
    After reading your reply (are you then connecting the new router to one of the Hg658c LAN ports )
    i saw the problem i had it connected from the red wan port on the HG658 and not as you pointed out the lan port
    it now works perfectly.
    so once again sorry and thanks.

No worries. Glad to hear it's working. These things can be frustrating when they go wrong and it's easy to overlook something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pjjanas

Hi there, I'm wondering if the Asus RT-AC87U router will be compatible with the bridged HG658c? I don't have a fibre connection so i just have the ordinary dsl connection with VF.
    Also if it is compatible should I use the 'serial@
    vfiefttc.ie' for the PPPoE username or will it be different as I have a dsl connection type?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Has anyone got the Vodafone VoIP settings for a new router when you bridge the HG658....?
    Just wondering how to make that work?

Have been able to bridge for internet access, but don't know how to do it for VoIP.....?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Hi guys,

Lightspeed is just been made available to my house and my first question was can I bridge because if I can not its a complete no go for me.
    I have read post from Vodafone reps that bridging was not supported and now in the last few pages on this thread I see comments that it is available now after a firmware update.

Can somebody confirm the actual status on bridging please before I order.

Kindest regards,
    TCP/IP

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭fergalom

Wondering if someone can help

Just moved from Eir to Vodafone

Getting 80 down when tested the Vodafone modem on its own = great. (Eir was the same)

Bridged it and can now only see 35 down?

Any other settings I need to change on the Vodafone modem (tuned off firewall, dhcp, wifi, set lan address and finally bridge the vdsl, uncheck tr069)?

Thanks

Do you have the MTU set to 1492 on your router?

Karsini wrote:
    Do you have the MTU set to 1492 on your router?

Thanks, yes i do

fergalom wrote: »
    Thanks, yes i do
    That's grand, always worth checking. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

I`m pulling my hair out here, I`ve the piece of crap Vodafone HG658c router and the Netgear Nighhawk AC1900 R7000.

Before I had them bridged but yesterday I pulled out the ethernet cable from the Vodafone WAN port and I`ve not been able to get them both working in bridged mode.

I can`t remember what EXACT steps I took last time, so I`ve trolled through this thread trying to sort it, no luck, I`d love some help with this......I`m losing my mind doing this.....

lewis wrote: »
    I`m pulling my hair out here, I`ve the piece of crap Vodafone HG658c router and the Netgear Nighhawk AC1900 R7000.

Before I had them bridged but yesterday I pulled out the ethernet cable from the Vodafone WAN port and I`ve not been able to get them both working in bridged mode.

I can`t remember what EXACT steps I took last time, so I`ve trolled through this thread trying to sort it, no luck, I`d love some help with this......I`m losing my mind doing this.....
    Sounds like cables in wrong port?
    Cables = LAN Port on Vodafone HG658c connected to WAN on Netgear Nighhawk AC1900 R7000
    Assuming you have bridge mode on Vodafone HG658c already and PPoE settings on the Nighthawk.

Would be interested to hear if you notice a speed drop when bridging like I see?

Sounds like cables in wrong port?
    Cables = LAN Port on Vodafone HG658c connected to WAN on Netgear Nighhawk AC1900 R7000
    Assuming you have bridge mode on Vodafone HG658c already and PPoE settings on the Nighthawk.

Would be interested to hear if you notice a speed drop when bridging like I see?

Cable is in the right place.

I reset the HG658c, so I`m starting from scratch..

I`m trying to do this....http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94640957 but no having much joy..

I`m stuck at step 5, I don`t see it...

This is what I have.

lewis wrote: »
    Cable is in the right place.

I reset the HG658c, so I`m starting from scratch..

I`m trying to do this....http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94640957 but no having much joy..

I`m stuck at step 5, I don`t see it...

This is what I have.

The firmware has changed slightly.
    It's no longer the 2nd item, it's the 3rd on yours now. The one that says tr069_Internet, not VOIP.

I think I got it all back, I`ve no idea at what point it sorted itself, I`m stumped....all day I`ve been at it and it just sorts itself.....grrrrrrrrrr.

This is what I`m getting after three tests, not great but it`ll do..

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Hi All,

I've had a nice stable network for the past 2 years where had bridged HG568c wan connected to Apple Time Capsule and in turn using an Apple Express to provide coverage over the "other side of the house"

Anyhow, no broadband this morning. Noticed LED light on HG568c was off...now to be honest I can't remember if it was always off or not (important for later).

So rang vodafone and did a reset of the HG568c (first mistake me thinks) and a reset "on his end". Yup, all lights back on HG568c and wifi up and running using the HG568c.

Go to bridge the HG568c using steps described earlier and copped that was number 3 vs. 2 on step 5 etc (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94640957).

Now back to no LED for internet on the HG568c again and cannot get it to work with Apple Time Capsule. Did resets of both and "rebridged" many times. When reset Time Capsule (TC) and reset up network get "unexpected error" when tries to talk to HG568c.

One item that might help my trouble shooting...is the LED for internet on or not when you have the HG568c bridged?

Any other suggestion most welcome (wasted 4hrs of my life today on this)

Thanks
    John.

I definitely have an issue when bridging this modem - has anyone else seen this?

When bridged, can only get 1/2 (40mb) of what I would get using the Vodafone modem only (80mb).
    Note this is not related to my router as I was getting 80 when bridging eir before I switched a week ago.

It also seems the wan ip ranges are completely different when bridging / not bridging the Vodafone modem

See attached re speeds and ip ranges.
    3S1a8Ol3fG0A.png

3S1aW7vgdRWU.png

Anyone got any insights on this or experience the same halving of speeds when bridged?

Cooling off period 14days?

I definitely have an issue when bridging this modem - has anyone else seen this?

When bridged, can only get 1/2 (40mb) of what I would get using the Vodafone modem only (80mb).
    Note this is not related to my router as I was getting 80 when bridging eir before I switched a week ago.

It also seems the wan ip ranges are completely different when bridging / not bridging the Vodafone modem

See attached re speeds and ip ranges.
    3S1a8Ol3fG0A.png

3S1aW7vgdRWU.png

Anyone got any insights on this or experience the same halving of speeds when bridged?

Cooling off period 14days?

Those tests are on 2 different servers. Is it possible that the Blacknight one is slower?
    I've noticed that issue here in the southwest and usually manually set the server as the one it picks is often awful.

What speed do you get when you download a large file?

• Advertisement

Conar wrote: »
    Those tests are on 2 different servers. Is it possible that the Blacknight one is slower?
    I've noticed that issue here in the southwest and usually manually set the server as the one it picks is often awful.

What speed do you get when you download a large file?

Thanks Conar, thought of that its the same.
    If you do a lookup on the Vodafone IPs on the images, unbridged modem IP is listed as "Vodafone Infrastructure" and the bridged modem IP is "Vodafone Mobile DSL".

If I move the modem from bridged back to unbridged, the IP ranges change as above and speed goes back to 80. No matter, how many times, same result.

Advertisement