Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging the Vodafone HG658c

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KontaX

Does anyone have VF TV alongside the broadband? I've managed to bridge the internet fine, but doing that causes the TV signal to stop connecting. I recall reading somewhere that eir multicast might not play nice with bridging, but no further details. I'm trying to bridge to an Archer C7 with OpenWRT.

Appreciate any help here, it's been doing my head in for the past couple days...

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Wow, I've been trying ages to bridge this modem router to my RT-AC66U and was getting no where until I checked out this thread. I had it working fine before we moved house last week using a crappy modem and only ordered the HG658c as I was told the line was fibre and my old modem wouldn't have worked. In the end, I realised all that was wrong was I had the cable running from the WAN port instead of the LAN port on the HG658c!! Talk about simple solution. Took me ages by resetting all devices and ended up restoring a saved configuration for my ASUS router after I figured it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

I think I asked before but not sure if it was answered but anyone have an idea of how to acess the Vodafone web management from the behind another router?

The Vodafone is 192.168.1.1 and the archer C9 is 192.168.0.1
    I've read somewhere that it should work if it follows the same up range so I tried setting the archer to 192.168.1.2 and a few others but have had no success no matter what I try. Anyone have any ideas or is it even possible with the hg658c bridged?

guil wrote: »
    I think I asked before but not sure if it was answered but anyone have an idea of how to acess the Vodafone web management from the behind another router?

The Vodafone is 192.168.1.1 and the archer C9 is 192.168.0.1
    I've read somewhere that it should work if it follows the same up range so I tried setting the archer to 192.168.1.2 and a few others but have had no success no matter what I try. Anyone have any ideas or is it even possible with the hg658c bridged?

I set my Vodafone router to 192.168.1.100 and the Archer to 192.168.1.1 and I can access both fine. I also have two cables coming out of the VF router though, one to the WAN port of the Archer and another to the LAN. Not sure if it's necessary, but hopefully it helps.

KontaX wrote: »
    I set my Vodafone router to 192.168.1.100 and the Archer to 192.168.1.1 and I can access both fine. I also have two cables coming out of the VF router though, one to the WAN port of the Archer and another to the LAN. Not sure if it's necessary, but hopefully it helps.

That's interesting about the second cable, is the Vodafone set to bridge or just DHCP and wifi turned off?

• Advertisement

That's interesting about the second cable, is the Vodafone set to bridge or just DHCP and wifi turned off?

Yeah it's set to bridge. I'm guessing it's down to the WAN being a bridged port, but the LAN allowing the VF router to be on the network.

KontaX wrote: »
    Yeah it's set to bridge. I'm guessing it's down to the WAN being a bridged port, but the LAN allowing the VF router to be on the network.

Just tried it there and changed the Vodafone to 192.168.1.180 and can login while connected to tp-link. Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

I got the R7000 today but I can`t get the wifi going, all LED on the R7000 are on, I need some help please, getting frustrated now..as I expected

Edit: I`m on the wireless, a bit messy of a setup, lot to figure out but I`m on....:)

Just can`t seem to hide my old SSID, I`ve checked the box for hide SSID, also disabled the wifi???

Edit edit: After an unexplained F up, after a reset of the router, the wireless is up and going again,(hopefully for good now) BUT when I connect Ethernet cable to laptop the connection is saying my old SSID? I`ve the wifi off on my Vodafone router, how do I get it to connect to the New router?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Conar

lewis wrote: »
    I got the R7000 today but I can`t get the wifi going, all LED on the R7000 are on, I need some help please, getting frustrated now..as I expected

Edit: I`m on the wireless, a bit messy of a setup, lot to figure out but I`m on....:)

Just can`t seem to hide my old SSID, I`ve checked the box for hide SSID, also disabled the wifi???

Edit edit: After an unexplained F up, after a reset of the router, the wireless is up and going again,(hopefully for good now) BUT when I connect Ethernet cable to laptop the connection is saying my old SSID? I`ve the wifi off on my Vodafone router, how do I get it to connect to the New router?

Sorry, missed all this. Still stuck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Conar wrote: »
    Sorry, missed all this. Still stuck?

Managed to get it all going, but still figuring lots of it out, like tweeking the settings to get the most out of it as possible....

Wish I knew about the vodafone router not having QOS, no big deal, just somwthing I read that would improve PS4 online play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Anto318

Hi All,

I hope you might be able to help. I've basic IT knowledge and I'm hoping to setup more parental controls on my home wifi.

To increase parental control of my wifi, I'm trying to replace my existing vodafone modem/router with a Belkin AC1200 (http://www.belkin.com/us/support-product?pid=01t80000003L8FDAA0).

I currently have fibre broadband with Vodafone. The master socket is a 2 port faceplate with a dedicated "computer" port which I'm assuming is a broadband filtered port. Currently a RJ11 cable is connected to this phone line and directly into the Vodafone router.

Firstly, I just swapped out the vodafone router and popped the Belkin in its place. I connect the RJ11 cable into the "modem" port of the belkin router and kicked off the automatic setup. This did not work so I followed the vodafone forum steps (https://support.vodafone.ie/system/...UAGE=en&COUNTRY=ie&USERTYPE=1&ARTICLE_ID=2266) and tried to configure the Belkin router as PPPoE etc but this did not work either.

Could anyone advise on if it's possible to use my Belkin router as a replacement for the vodafone router. How can I go about setting it up correctly? Can the belkin router be connected directly to the phone line? If not, can I use the vodafone router as just a modem and use the Belkin router for wifi management etc? If this is possible, could you advice on how to do this.

Thanks in advance,
    Anto318

Anto318 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I hope you might be able to help. I've basic IT knowledge and I'm hoping to setup more parental controls on my home wifi.

To increase parental control of my wifi, I'm trying to replace my existing vodafone modem/router with a Belkin AC1200 (http://www.belkin.com/us/support-product?pid=01t80000003L8FDAA0).

I currently have fibre broadband with Vodafone. The master socket is a 2 port faceplate with a dedicated "computer" port which I'm assuming is a broadband filtered port. Currently a RJ11 cable is connected to this phone line and directly into the Vodafone router.

Firstly, I just swapped out the vodafone router and popped the Belkin in its place. I connect the RJ11 cable into the "modem" port of the belkin router and kicked off the automatic setup. This did not work so I followed the vodafone forum steps (https://support.vodafone.ie/system/...UAGE=en&COUNTRY=ie&USERTYPE=1&ARTICLE_ID=2266) and tried to configure the Belkin router as PPPoE etc but this did not work either.

Could anyone advise on if it's possible to use my Belkin router as a replacement for the vodafone router. How can I go about setting it up correctly? Can the belkin router be connected directly to the phone line? If not, can I use the vodafone router as just a modem and use the Belkin router for wifi management etc? If this is possible, could you advice on how to do this.

Thanks in advance,
    Anto318

The modem port on that router is to connect to a separate modem. It can't replace the huawei.

Follow this advice but start at 4.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89573792&postcount=98

Thanks for the reply Guil but I still haven't had any luck. What I've tried this evening is as follows:

VF router connected to the phone line.
    Disabled DHCP (VF1.png)
    I've update the VF WAN settings to PPPoE_Bridged (VF2.png)
    Disabled WiFi
    I've submitted and power cycled

On the Belkin Router, I configured the LAN setup for PPPoE (BK1.png)

I've then configured the LAN settings on the Belkin (BK2.png)

I've used the WAN port on the VF router and the LAN port on the Belkin but still not joy.

Any help/advice you could give would be really appreciated as I can see what I'm doing wrong from the steps outlined in this thread.

Thanks,
    Anto318

You need to plug the Ethernet into a LAN port on Vodafone and into the WAN port on the belkin.

You need to plug the Ethernet into a LAN port on Vodafone and into the WAN port on the belkin.

The Belkin router only has 4 Ethernet ports and 1 modem port. I had tried connecting to this modem port also but didn't have any luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭imnorobot

Have you tried
    vodafone@vodafone.ie as the username
    broadband as the password

imnorobot wrote: »
    Have you tried
    vodafone@vodafone.ie as the username
    broadband as the password

That only works on adsl I think.

Anto318 wrote: »
    The Belkin router only has 4 Ethernet ports and 1 modem port. I had tried connecting to this modem port also but didn't have any luck.

The modem port is the wan port. Run an rj45 from any LAN port on the Vodafone to the modem port on the belkin and set up the connection again. Make sure you have the serial number right. Check it on the back of the vf router. The PPPOE username is SN@vfiefttc.ie and the password is broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭imnorobot

Nah bridged my vf hg658c a while back with a netgear running ddwrt as a test

Also post #26
    gtg60 wrote: »
    Got my new VDSL router working directly with Vodafone fibre, see here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057099603

Interesting to note that the Username seems to have changed format, it's now:
    serialnumber@vodafone.ie
    but curiously vodafone@vodafone.ie works fine.

Also it would only take a couple of seconds to try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Hi,

Just to confirm that this hack is no longer needed? I seem to have the options to bridge when I log in as admin. Can't post a screenshot just now but will later.

• Advertisement

No bridging was enabled as an option with a software update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

No bridging was enabled as an option with a software update.

Cheers Guil. Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CSmithIO

I've been looking at replacing my VF modem for a while now.

Am I correct in saying the TP Link Archer C7/C8/C9 are all just for bridging from the VF Modem and that the likes of the TP Link Archer VR600 would be to replace the VF modem completely or could also be used for bridging?

What would be my best option, all I would do is regularly stream online, netflix, PS4 etc?

From reading this morning, bridging seems to be supported, replacing the modem not so much but can be done.

My budget would be about €150, could anyone advise me what I'd be best doing? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Now that VF are running VoIP, i need to figure out how to set up voice on my router that's sitting behind a VF bridged modem?
    anyone been able to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

when bridging the Vodafone HG658c to asus rt-ac68u, do i use the wan port on the HG658c to connect to the wan on the asus rt-ac68u or do i use 1 of the 4 lan ports

Surfn wrote: »
    when bridging the Vodafone HG658c to asus rt-ac68u, do i use the wan port on the HG658c to connect to the wan on the asus rt-ac68u or do i use 1 of the 4 lan ports
    Any LAN port on HG658c to WAN port on Asus.

Karsini wrote: »
    Any LAN port on HG658c to WAN port on Asus.

thanks for that i thought to myself it would be wan on hg658c to wan on on the asus

is there a way to get vodafone voice working now that i have the asus rt-ac68u

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Irish fanboy

Hey guys.
    I'm looking for some advice setting up a ASUS VDSL modem router with Vodafone fiber.
    Vodafone stipulated that a g. Vector enabled modem was required but won't give out any settings.
    I have managed to connect to the Internet, ironically, without g. vector enabled but the speed isn't fantastic. I'm getting roughly 50mb/s as apposed to 75 on the Vodafone router.
    When I enable g . vectoring on the ASUS. The modem won't connect to the Internet.
    Is there any other settings that I have to change to get it working correctly??
    The model of the ASUS is a DSL ac68u
    VDSL compatible.
    Thanks in advance
    Stephen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Aidan045

@irish fanboy
    Any chance you can post your method and settings used to connect the Asus directly.
    I have one and was looking to do the same.
    For some reason since the introduction of Voip I can't seem to bridge from the Hg658c.

Advertisement