Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging the Vodafone HG658c

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭swoofer

which port are you using on the tp link

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

@MiskyBoyy

After bridging - Cabling as follows

Ethernet cable from HG658c LAN Port to your own TPLINK routers WAN port

Cable from TPLINK router LAN port into your PC / SWITCH

In the old setup (non bridged) - the cable that ran from the HG658c LAN port to PC / SWITCH ....... this now runs from the TPLINK LAN port to your PC/SWITCH

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭freddy99

Has anybody successfully used the 658c as a modem in bridge mode with an AirPort Extreme acting as the router, while keeping DDNS active to serve DynDns without a fixed IP address?
    Could someone point me in the right direction?

Regards, Freddy

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭deeobrien

Hi All,

I have my vodafone modem set to bridge mode and I'm using the Netgear R7000 router. I changed the ip of the vodafone router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.50 to avoid conflict (both routers had the same ip). I've had this setup for several months.

Internet access via the R7000 works fine but I can't access the admin page of the vodafone router. Accessing 192.168.1.50 doesn't bring up anything.

I recently needed to check my profile setting so I had to reset the router so I could get to the admin page (Vodafone had switched me from a 100M profile to a 40M profile for some strange reason). I have it all setup again now but I'm wondering is there any way to access the admin page of the vodafone router when its in bridge mode?

Deirdre

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭guil

I'm nearly sure by putting it in bridge mode you can't access the management without resetting it. As much as I tried I couldn't by either wired or wireless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭Conar

deeobrien wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have my vodafone modem set to bridge mode and I'm using the Netgear R7000 router. I changed the ip of the vodafone router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.50 to avoid conflict (both routers had the same ip). I've had this setup for several months.

Internet access via the R7000 works fine but I can't access the admin page of the vodafone router. Accessing 192.168.1.50 doesn't bring up anything.

I recently needed to check my profile setting so I had to reset the router so I could get to the admin page (Vodafone had switched me from a 100M profile to a 40M profile for some strange reason). I have it all setup again now but I'm wondering is there any way to access the admin page of the vodafone router when its in bridge mode?

Deirdre

Try putting port 80 or 8080 behing to see if it gets to it.

Http//192.168.1.50:8080

Left out the : after http as it wouldn't show the port otherwise on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

When bridging my HG568c to my TP-Link WDR3600 my bandwidth stays about the same but my ping to my regular speedtest server doubles from 10-11ms to 24-25ms. Is this to be expected or is there any way around it?

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    When bridging my HG568c to my TP-Link WDR3600 my bandwidth stays about the same but my ping to my regular speedtest server doubles from 10-11ms to 24-25ms. Is this to be expected or is there any way around it?

I have the exact same setup and my ping is as low as 9ms

guil wrote: »
    I have the exact same setup and my ping is as low as 9ms

Hmm strange I'm trying everything I can think of here and it's staying the same :/

I followed instructions to a tee from post 171.

Any ideas why it might be upping the ping for me?

It's hardly the Ethernet cable? Haven't a clue if that could cause anything like that though.

• Advertisement

It's hardly the Ethernet cable? Haven't a clue if that could cause anything like that though.

Using a brand new cat 5e cable. Just tried a different cat5 for the craic. Same story.

On a side not. I just discovered this cool simulator for the WDR3600 :)

http://www.tp-link.com/resources/simulator/TL-WDR3600/Index.htm

Alright I got it. Even tho Vodafone's preferred DNS were in the boxes, it wasn't ticked to use them.

Back to 11ms. Happy once again :)

4581845859.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I did all the above in post 171 and when I now do a speedtest, it gives a ping of the usual but it is slow in picking up the speed, showing 10 for first 2 seconds and then jumping up to proper speeds unlike previously off the Vodafone modem where the speedtest would jump up straight away. any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

I'm nearly sure by putting it in bridge mode you can't access the management without resetting it. As much as I tried I couldn't by either wired or wireless.

Anyone find a resolution to getting back into the VF router after bridging?
    i cant find a way back in either, 192.168.1.1 doesnt work......i set my range on my own router to be 192.168.2.1 so that there would be no conflict.....

cheers.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭pingitagain

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Anyone find a resolution to getting back into the VF router after bridging?
    i cant find a way back in either, 192.168.1.1 doesnt work......i set my range on my own router to be 192.168.2.1 so that there would be no conflict.....

cheers.......
    you can get back into the vf router without resetting

Connect an ethernet cable to the vf router and your pc
    Switch off the wifi on your pc
    right click on your network icon
    click open network and sharing
    under connections click on your network
    Click properties
    double click internet protocol version 4
    click use the following address
    input an address similar to your vf router
    EG if the router has an address of 10.1.1.10
    for your pc address put 10.1.1.15
    click on the box below your ip add
    subnet mask and the subnet will be automaticly filled in
    click ok

in your search bar put 10.1.1.10 and hit return and you should be into your vf router

when finished
    reset you network adapter back to obtain ip address automaticly

From your post you say the vf routers add is 192.168.1.1
    but your other routers add is 192.168.2.1 which is a different subnet so it will not connect

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kevincork

Hi,

I have this HG658c modem that I was using with a magnet, and using my RT-AC68U as default modem per PPOE

I've moved to Eir, I managed to change the settings an connect with this HG658c, but I cannot managed to bridge with my Asus RT_AC68U.

I can't remember very well and probably missing something.

until I fix this Im only using the HG658c through ATM_TR069_VOIP_INTERNET_R_8_35 / IP Routed.

How can I managed to use my Asus router back? Can't remember, do we have to disable ATM_TR069_VOIP_INTERNET_R_8_35 and only setup PPPOE with PTM_INTERNET_B_VID_10?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

swoofer wrote: »
    This is what I did, it was posted on that big thread and thanks to user wheresmybeaver

.... to unbridge the modem, apply the updated firmware and go back into bridged mode.

1. Reset Vodafone router with paperclip in reset button. Disconnect LAN cable from your primary router. The firmware update was pushed to my router almost immediately but might take longer for others; it triggers a reboot. You can confirm you have the latest firmware in step 3.
    2. Connect your PC to Vodafone router via LAN or Wifi and logon as normal using vodafone / vodafone
    3. Go into Status => Device to ensure the software version ends in B214
    4. Go into Basic => LAN and disable DHCP server
    5. Go into Basic => WAN, select second item in list (PTM_INTERNET). (Make a note of your Vodafone username here if you hadn't before - you'll need it when logging into PPPoE on your primary router.) Change connection type to PPPoE_Bridged. Uncheck TR069 and VOIP options.
    6. Click Submit and power cycle the router for good measure.
    7. Connect Eth1 port on voda router to WAN port on primary router. Primary router should have DHCP server enabled.
    8. Disable voda wifi by pressing Wifi button on voda router (green light should go out).
    9. Your primary router should now be connecting to your vodafone router (now just a dumb modem) via PPPoE using your Vodafone username from earlier. Password is broadband. "

This is a while ago so if its different in your modem can you post back. I want to do a reset soon to see if it triggers vectoring but worried in case things have changed.

worked a treat with 218 software and Netgear WNDR3700 v2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I just moved from Eircom to VF. I used the swoofer steps to enable bridging mode. NB on a couple of things - bridg both PTM and ATM, in my case PTM was Disconnected status so changing this did not work as I had not also done ATM. Also make sure to disable DHCP v4 & v6.

I'm now logged into my Sonicwall TZ 180, have changed the PPOE settings and it seems to be connected to the WAN, but all the machines on the network remain without internet access.

The only think I can think of that has changed is that our WAN IP address, and VF don't seem to have got this mapped yet. Would this explain why PCs on the network no longer have internet access? Sorry, my tech guy is not around and I am fumbling with limited knowledge. I cant see where I might need to change settings on the Sonicwall for the new IP address.

EDIT - the internet access seems to have been a DNS issue. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

make sure it is your ROUTER NOT THE HG658c which is now set to serve out the DHCP addresses - disable DHCP on HG658c and enable on router being bridged to (from THE HG658c)........

dmm1000 wrote: »
    make sure it is your ROUTER NOT THE HG658c which is now set to serve out the DHCP addresses - disable DHCP on HG658c and enable on router being bridged to (from THE HG658c)........

Had done that, but thanks for the confirmation. All working, VF modem in bridge mode to my Sonicwall, Sonicwall doing DHCP, internet access working fine.

Trying to solve a different problem now! Maybe someone can suggest how to resolve it?

I want a "standalone" wireless network in the office, totally unconnected to the Sonicwall. So I factory reset the old Eircom router, put the DSL line into it, and used the VF username/password to authenticate, and it works fine. But for each to work at the same time, each needs a DSL line in, and I don't know how to achieve this.

With the DSL line is going into the VF router, in my naivety I thought I could run a phone line from the LAN port on the VF router into the Eircom router, and it would pick up the DSL signal, but this does not seem to work. Do I need to buy a connector that plugs into the DSL line at the wall that creates two DSL connections, then run one to the Eircom and one to the VF? Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

You can't connect two modems into one DSL line.

roast wrote: »
    You can't connect two modems into one DSL line.

Ok, thanks. So any idea how I accomplish what I want to do? i.e. have two separate networks, one a wireless one not connected to LAN at all with its own DHCP, the other the LAN based on the Sonicwall configuration.

Ok, thanks. So any idea how I accomplish what I want to do? i.e. have two separate networks, one a wireless one not connected to LAN at all with its own DHCP, the other the LAN based on the Sonicwall configuration.

Your Sonicwall is now the main router/controller of everything that comes after it. Are you trying to create subnets/networks between wireless and wired clients for security? Or why? You can create separate network subnets on sonicwalls and bind them to separate interfaces anyway.

Your Sonicwall is now the main router/controller of everything that comes after it. Are you trying to create subnets/networks between wireless and wired clients for security? Or why? You can create separate network subnets on sonicwalls and bind them to separate interfaces anyway.

Thanks for the input. I already have the Sonicwall set up as I want it.

I want a wireless signal, effectively for guests/visitors, that has nothing to do with the Sonicwall - I don't want users that connect to the wireless to have a LAN or DMZ or any other Sonicwall/DHCP address. So I'm trying to work out how to put a wireless device on the WAN side of the Sonicwall.

Thanks for the input. I already have the Sonicwall set up as I want it.

I want a wireless signal, effectively for guests/visitors, that has nothing to do with the Sonicwall - I don't want users that connect to the wireless to have a LAN or DMZ or any other Sonicwall/DHCP address. So I'm trying to work out how to put a wireless device on the WAN side of the Sonicwall.

If you want complete physical segregation, you can have the HG658c bridge to two separate devices with two separate WAN IPs using nat. You'd have to get a /30 IP subnet from the isp.

That's a whole haype of messin'.

Alternatively, you can set up a completely separate network on the sonicwall used only for guest access. This can be bound to one physical interface, which your WAP would be connected to.
    For example, 192.168.1.0/24 for your LAN and 192.168.2.0/24 for your guest access. Both networks would have the same WAN IP.

Less messin', but still messin'.

Or, you could just go the easy route create a separate SSID on the sonicwall for guests to connect to, which uses a separate subnet from your normal LAN. It's still going to be secure as long as the firewall is configured correctly.

If you want complete physical segregation, you can have the HG658c bridge to two separate devices with two separate WAN IPs using nat. You'd have to get a /30 IP subnet from the isp.

That's a whole haype of messin'.

Alternatively, you can set up a completely separate network on the sonicwall used only for guest access. This can be bound to one physical interface, which your WAP would be connected to.
    For example, 192.168.1.0/24 for your LAN and 192.168.2.0/24 for your guest access. Both networks would have the same WAN IP.

Less messin', but still messin'.

Or, you could just go the easy route create a separate SSID on the sonicwall for guests to connect to, which uses a separate subnet from your normal LAN. It's still going to be secure as long as the firewall is configured correctly.

Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed response.

I'll discard the first option rightat away, too much messin'!!

Second option. I'm not sure how I bind a new network to one physical device...I only have two ports to connect into on the Sonicwall - LAN and OPT which is my DMZ.

I dont think my sonicwall is wireless enabled, so option three would not appear to be an option.

Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed response.

I'll discard the first option rightat away, too much messin'!!

Second option. I'm not sure how I bind a new network to one physical device...I only have two ports to connect into on the Sonicwall - LAN and OPT which is my DMZ.

I dont think my sonicwall is wireless enabled, so option three would not appear to be an option.

My mistake, I thought the TZ180 had wlan - You should have a few LAN ports on the back too? (as well as Opt/Wan)

My mistake, I thought the TZ180 had wlan - You should have a few LAN ports on the back too? (as well as Opt/Wan)

Yeah I have spare LAN ports at the back. But is there way to configure one of them to be on a separate network for the guests?

Thanks for helping with this.

Yeah I have spare LAN ports at the back. But is there way to configure one of them to be on a separate network for the guests?

Thanks for helping with this.

I'm more familiar with the NSA series but I believe the TZ series follows the same idea - I could be off though. It's fairly involved, but the short form is that you create a new interface (lets say LAN2) in the config, assign this to a Zone (your new network, 192.168.2.0/24) and then firewall rules to block connectivity between the two networks, but not from the WAN.

The top answer here is a good starting point. You can stick your WAP (or whatever you want to use for wifi) into the new interface port then.

• Advertisement

Ok, I dont think my Sonicwall will allow me to add another interface or restrict that to a given port on the Sonicwall.

So I'm thinking I will just put a switch on the DMZ/OPT port, and stick a wireless router on that. If I was to do that with the Eircom router, what do I need to do, i.e. it is not doing PPOE or anything, just acting as a wireless signal.

Advertisement