Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession is a myth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Plazaman wrote: »
    Bet your mates say "Roish" and drink "Heino"?

Was just about to suggest OP landed Dubswamp alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Uriel. wrote: »
    1. Take my Lunch to work from home
    2. Bring my own coffee to work
    3. Left Sky and Went to UPC, One year later cancelled UPC and went FreeView
    4. Moved from Contract Mobile phone of €45 pm to Prepay €20pm
    5. Eat out once a week with GF and/or Family - always early bird unless a specific event
    6. 9 out of 10 of my social gatherings now are drinks at home rather than pub
    7. When I do go to pub rather than having 10+ pints I have a few craft beers - enjoy better tasting beer and spend less
    8. Stopped driving to work and got an annual tax saver pass
    9. Locally only drive when necessary e.g. to get groceries

That's not called a recession, that's called gettin' old. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Recession me hole.

And what about the mass unemployment and emigration? What does that spell out for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The problem with Ireland is that a lot of myths take hold. The first myth was of course that the 1994-1999 and 2003 to 2008 periods were actually a period of boom where everyone did well. In fact, serious issues with the Irish economy came about in 2000 after the 5 previous years of some kind of economic upturn. 1994 to 1999 just saw a period where multinationals came in after the war was over (US don't differentiate between ROI and NI and thought the war affected all of here!) but left by 2000 as doing business was too costly. When they left, Ireland went back into its traditional status of unemployment and underachieving.

After the 2000 to 2002 recession (caused by the IT crash, multinationals leaving. 9/11 did not help or foot and mouth), the building boom came along. Some did well but it was all borrowed money and unsustainable. Unemployment and lack of opportunity remained high in this era. Since 2008, the media has had a festival of negativity detailing problems like graduate unemployment, emigration, inflation, long term unemployment, tax hikes and so on that have always been with us.

Ireland depended too much on others like US MNCs and did nothing to curb high prices. The building boom could not last also with the awful prices for houses. Anyone could tell that it was overheating and no one could afford to buy houses, do business here, etc. So, everyone left and did not buy! Politicians have become greedier and lazier. Corruption is rife and so is anti-business laws that create bureaucracy. Recent example: banning alcohol sponsorship for events is being talked about. What crazy thicko could even contemplate policies like this that would damage business?

A recession merely means not doing as well now as before. What we have in Ireland is much more: the problem is money is reserved for the elite bankers, politicians and businesses (and that is in both the 1994-1999/2003-2008 and 2000-2002 and 2008 on periods) to the detriment of everyone else. 2005 Ireland was no more a pleasant place to live in than 2013 Ireland. Corruption, inaction, laziness, etc. is a way of life for our governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭kyote00

Ahem.....big bang, expanding universe, planets formation......
    Show me one thing in the natural world with infinite growth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

The problem with Ireland is that a lot of myths take hold. The first myth was of course that the 1994-1999 and 2003 to 2008 periods were actually a period of boom where everyone did well. In fact, serious issues with the Irish economy came about in 2000 after the 5 previous years of some kind of economic upturn. 1994 to 1999 just saw a period where multinationals came in after the war was over (US don't differentiate between ROI and NI and thought the war affected all of here!) but left by 2000 as doing business was too costly. When they left, Ireland went back into its traditional status of unemployment and underachieving.

After the 2000 to 2002 recession (caused by the IT crash, multinationals leaving. 9/11 did not help or foot and mouth), the building boom came along. Some did well but it was all borrowed money and unsustainable. Unemployment and lack of opportunity remained high in this era. Since 2008, the media has had a festival of negativity detailing problems like graduate unemployment, emigration, inflation, long term unemployment, tax hikes and so on that have always been with us.

Ireland depended too much on others like US MNCs and did nothing to curb high prices. The building boom could not last also with the awful prices for houses. Anyone could tell that it was overheating and no one could afford to buy houses, do business here, etc. So, everyone left and did not buy! Politicians have become greedier and lazier. Corruption is rife and so is anti-business laws that create bureaucracy. Recent example: banning alcohol sponsorship for events is being talked about. What crazy thicko could even contemplate policies like this that would damage business?

A recession merely means not doing as well now as before. What we have in Ireland is much more: the problem is money is reserved for the elite bankers, politicians and businesses (and that is in both the 1994-1999/2003-2008 and 2000-2002 and 2008 on periods) to the detriment of everyone else. 2005 Ireland was no more a pleasant place to live in than 2013 Ireland. Corruption, inaction, laziness, etc. is a way of life for our governments.

If you hadn't used the word elite I'd have thanked this.

Oh, and if you'd called back with that quote you promised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

FTA69 wrote: »
    And what about the mass unemployment and emigration? What does that spell out for you?

it basically tells me that people STILL have notions about themselves and are unwilling to accept personal responsibility for their own position in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

i think the op is just suffering from culture shock...came from some poorer country and expected us to look like africa too. Or he came from Australia or the likes and is just ignorant to the fact that just because were losing doesnt mean we all suddenly live in shacks, its like getting shot in the stomach rather than the head...its slow and painful rather than quick and easy....and right now our government is borrowing blood to help make it look like were alive...but really its all pouring slowly out of that bullet hole

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

But that's exactly the point - you shouldnt have been living like that in the first place. people went mad "keeping up with the joneses" and for what?

the only reason a lot of people are saying the word "recession" is because to them, shopping in Lidl instead of superquinn is the definition of being less of a class than they used to be, when we all should have been thrifty in the first place.

i for one, agree with the OP - all my mates are the same, even the ones on the dole - all iphones, or smart phones, loads of nights out in town, and all the things that they did when the "celtic tiger" was prevalent. NOW though, the difference is, they go to the bother of tracking down a good deal to make their money stretch further instead of parading into the first bar or whatever and paying a tenner for a pint cos they have money to burn.

Recession me hole.

No, it's trying to make do with a smaller amount of money - specifically those who either lost their jobs or are on reduced income. If my income was the same as it was 3 years ago, I wouldn't have had to give up anything. But my income is not the same, due to the economic downturn, therefore, I have to reduce my outgoings accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

studiorat wrote: »
    That's not called a recession, that's called gettin' old. :)

Noooooo. Fúck you b-atches :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

I wish I was OP friend. I'd be alot better of than what I've been for the last few years and look at all the perks I'd get.

Any positions left OP ?

it basically tells me that people STILL have notions about themselves and are unwilling to accept personal responsibility for their own position in life.

How is making the decision to leave for another country in order to gain work "having notions"? The fact of the matter is that the jobs just simply aren't there, hence why places like Tesco can open up and be inundated with thousands of CVs for minimum wage jobs. People didn't decide to engage in mass laziness for the craic in 2007, and neither did tens of thousands of people travel across the world in pursuit of work because they have notions.

To be honest if "having notions" is your only rebuttal to the statistics showing negative growth, unemployment and emigration then it's pretty clear you're full of sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Some people have no choice and others do. Granted, there are people on social welfare who make a career out of it. But others are there because of the reckless actions of their superiors. Also, the same rich and connected before the boom are still there now. I don't see Bertie Ahern and co facing the personal responsibility of their own actions anytime soon!

There is an attitude that certain members of certain professions can get away with anything. The people who had nothing to do with the recklessness of overspending, overborrowing, etc. don't deserve to bail out these failed people and banks who did this.

And not just in Ireland: the Iraq war and the billions borrowed for it and invested in its 'success' is the elephant in the room when it comes to why the world system crashed. Not one American or EU politician will admit it. Or either would Lehman or any of the rest who gave out 100% mortgages and loans to anyone rich or poor for anything 'knowing' that Iraqi oil revenue would bail them out if the person did not pay. Yes, they actually believed that when the West ousted Saddam, the Iraqi people would be grateful to be a colony.

The people who opposed excess borrowing, lending, costly wars, hedge fund culture, the encouragement of risk taking, etc. do not deserve to bail out those who did approve of some or all of the above. Let the ones who were so pro these things clean up their own mistakes and admit these mistakes and apologise to the people of the US, EU, Iraq and indeed the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Our Economy grew by 0.2% last year(off the top of my head) Crow as the money men might, that's not a recession.

The whole infinite growth ideology pisses me the **** off anyway. Show me one thing in the natural world with infinite growth.

The size of yisser bulls**t

FTA69 wrote: »
    How is making the decision to leave for another country in order to gain work "having notions"? The fact of the matter is that the jobs just simply aren't there, hence why places like Tesco can open up and be inundated with thousands of CVs for minimum wage jobs. People didn't decide to engage in mass laziness for the craic in 2007, and neither did tens of thousands of people travel across the world in pursuit of work because they have notions.

To be honest if "having notions" is your only rebuttal to the statistics showing negative growth, unemployment and emigration then it's pretty clear you're full of sh*t.

no i'm not. it IS having notions - and what i mean by that, is that people think "oh i'm better than this" or "i cant live on the dole" - when in reality, yes, you CAN. downsize your house, take the bus instead of driving in your bmw, shop in aldi and lidl - people dont want to hear this.

anyway, i havent seen much of this so-called "recession" either, and that's all i was saying - backing up the point of the OP.

- this is not a recession in personable terms - it is just the same ould irish "One-up-manship" only now instead of gloating about the big swish car you just bought it's become a one-up-man-ship of "oh, im more broke than you"

fair enough, people are suffering - but they shouldnt be. they are only suffering because they got used to a RIDICULOUS lifestyle and now they are back in the real world having to save money, or spend less on useless things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

the_monkey wrote: »
    ... And yet WTF I saw Clerys are shut down yesterday ??????...

Clerys is shut because of the mental rain last week.

Will re-open after clearing damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Birneybau wrote: »

Fingers crossed on that one......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Recession is defined by economic lack of growth over 2 consecutive quarters, not by how your mates are doing.

Bazinga.

The recession is all made up. Nothing to see here. Move along people. Ya twonk, OP!

no i'm not. it IS having notions - and what i mean by that, is that people think "oh i'm better than this" or "i cant live on the dole" - when in reality, yes, you CAN.

Has it entered into your head that people don't want to be on the dole? That they are desperate to work and to regain some self-worth but can't because there is no jobs? Not being content on the scratch isn't a sign that you're up your own hole, it's a sign that you'd prefer to be working. The economy is in retrograde growth, there is mass unemployment, people are leaving the country in their thousands.

The notion that you think that this is occurring because everyone is an opulent twat is ridiculous.
    anyway, i havent seen much of this so-called "recession" either, and that's all i was saying - backing up the point of the OP.

Good for you. Because most young people I'm friendly with have either left the country or are planning on doing so. I know tradesmen who are in fear that they're going to lose their family home and who can't get work anywhere. I know people sending out thousands of CVs only to hear absolutely nothing back. I know dozens of young Irish people here in London who had to come here because they had no opportunity at home.

Pardon them for being "too good" to be content with a life on the dole.

fair enough, people are suffering - but they shouldnt be. they are only suffering because they got used to a RIDICULOUS lifestyle and now they are back in the real world having to save money, or spend less on useless things.

You actually haven't a clue, it's hilarious. Are you a teenager living with their parents or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Birneybau wrote: »

WOOO HOOO! I smell a recession beating "Storm Damage Sale" on Henry street!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Are all your mates still living with mammy OP? with their disposable income and free rent living at home.

Or do the have family's to support and bills to pay while being fu cked by the government left right and center

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

the_monkey wrote: »
    I am home for a few days in this great little nation.

What recession ?

All invented BS by the media

All my mates have good jobs, I go into town - everyone has an iPhone 5,
    Rip off cafes charging €6 for a sandwich are packed.

Shopping bags packed , everyone seems to have Sky sports/movies/46 " 1080P TV Blu Ray ... etc etc...

Why are the media lying to us ??

I know no one affected by this "recession", maybe its cos most of my mates work in the IT industry...

And yet WTF I saw Clerys are shut down yesterday ??????

HMV too - I thought they were rescued tho ?

There was a time once when Trolling was akin to an art form, it had a certain style, panache even.
    However in these recessionary times the best we can now afford is the OP.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sweetsugar

What planet are you on?
    What do you mean by RIDICULOUS lifestyle?

People did have money before and it was great to be able to buy, pay and save without any worries and they certainly didn't have ridiculous lifestyle!
    Now people are suffering and have no choice! They have to try to save money and spend less to be able to pay expenses that can't be avoided like bills, taxes etc. Look at how things got more expensive, more taxes, less wages etc and it will get worse. And its not being back in the real world, its a recession

im not arguing this anymore. people are thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sweetsugar

im not arguing this anymore. people are thick.

You certainly are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

OP's right, the recession is over

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Sparklygirl

There certainly is a recession here. I have had friends who earned a good salary losT their homes, now that would be grand if they could just hand the keys back and start again but that is not the case. Say you bought a house during the boom/bubble for 300 grand but now it is worth 120, and you hand back the keys. The bank sells it for 120, well you still owe them the balance. Basically you are screwed as you owe a serious amount of money but have nothing to show for it. You will never own your own property as you will not qualify for a mortgage. Basically, you will spend the rest of your life paying for a house you don't own while renting another. You will have nothing to pass onto your children financially. The same friends have been literally on the breadline for years trying to keep afloat. I am talking about people who have NO disposable income and who are finding it near impossible to pay their electricity, for food, for clothes. I am a professional and I have friends working along side me who have not bought an item of clothing in years and who could not possible think of going out to a work lunch as they can not afford to pay for it.
    I might be joining them when the interest rates go up. There are lots of smug gits like myself on a tracker, who are well able to afford their repayments, but when the interest rates go up, we are fecked too. We are just prolonging the agony!
    Oh to be Iceland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭my my my

it's not so much the recession as the "corruption(",)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Uriel. wrote: »
    1. Take my Lunch to work from home
    2. Bring my own coffee to work
    3. Left Sky and Went to UPC, One year later cancelled UPC and went FreeView
    4. Moved from Contract Mobile phone of €45 pm to Prepay €20pm
    5. Eat out once a week with GF and/or Family - always early bird unless a specific event
    6. 9 out of 10 of my social gatherings now are drinks at home rather than pub
    7. When I do go to pub rather than having 10+ pints I have a few craft beers - enjoy better tasting beer and spend less
    8. Stopped driving to work and got an annual tax saver pass
    9. Locally only drive when necessary e.g. to get groceries

Plus I do more shopping in Lidl etc.. now carefully watching grocery spend.

That honestly reads like a much improved lifestyle to me. I'm genuinely not sure if you meant it that way...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Our Economy grew by 0.2% last year(off the top of my head) Crow as the money men might, that's not a recession.

The whole infinite growth ideology pisses me the **** off anyway. Show me one thing in the natural world with infinite growth.
    My feckin Lawn. I'm sick of cutting it.

Advertisement