Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession is a myth

Options
  • 01-08-2013 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

I am home for a few days in this great little nation.

What recession ?

All invented BS by the media

All my mates have good jobs, I go into town - everyone has an iPhone 5,
    Rip off cafes charging €6 for a sandwich are packed.

Shopping bags packed , everyone seems to have Sky sports/movies/46 " 1080P TV Blu Ray ... etc etc...

Why are the media lying to us ??

I know no one affected by this "recession", maybe its cos most of my mates work in the IT industry...

And yet WTF I saw Clerys are shut down yesterday ??????

HMV too - I thought they were rescued tho ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

the_monkey wrote: »

What recession ?

Shopping bags packed , everyone seems to have Sky sports/movies/46 " 1080P TV Blu Ray ... etc etc...

I know no one affected by this "recession", maybe its cos most of my mates work in the IT industry...

So everybody who could afford to be out and about had all these wonderful things.

What about those who couldn't afford to be out and about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Recession is defined by economic lack of growth over 2 consecutive quarters, not by how your mates are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

What recession ?

Nice to see you know it all after a few days here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I don't see those starving African children, in person, that you see in them adverts on TV for donations - they're a myth!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

Recession is defined by economic lack of growth over 2 consecutive quarters, not by how your mates are doing.

Our Economy grew by 0.2% last year(off the top of my head) Crow as the money men might, that's not a recession.

The whole infinite growth ideology pisses me the **** off anyway. Show me one thing in the natural world with infinite growth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Boom.
    /thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

The OP's in-depth detailed and learned analysis can't reasonably be debated by us plebs in AH. It needs to be shifted to the higher-echelon scholastic towers of 'Irish Economy' or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Sure aren't you great.

The country is in recession.
    Economic output is down, house prices are down, high level of unemployment, high level of emigration, ridiculous numbers of mortgages in arrears, wages for new most new jobs are down etc etc etc.

Anyway I thought clerys got flooded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Generalise much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Everyone has an iphone 5 :pac:

Poor people have iphones too, come back when all your friends are driving porsches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The massive unemployment rate and spiralling emigration is all a fabrication as well I suppose? Leaving all of that stuff aside, I believe Ireland recently, yet again, had two quarters of negative growth. The fact your mate has an iPhone doesn't negate that fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Our Economy grew by 0.2% last year(off the top of my head) Crow as the money men might, that's not a recession.

The whole infinite growth ideology pisses me the **** off anyway. Show me one thing in the natural world with infinite growth.

entropy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭eigrod

Fusciardi's chipper on Capel St. closed down on Tuesday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No recession in your mates' houses apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

What recession ?

Then it must be fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cycnus

Well thank Jebus for that. I was really worried for a few years there. But turns out some yuppy who got a sandwich in o'brein's has it all figured out.

Glad your friends all have big screen tvs, blunts, 40's and b*tches. But some people are really suffering. I have an awesome job, with great money, but im not naive enough to assume that means so does everyone else.

Sometimes I see a post, and I say... no, this guy must be trollin.. this is one of those times.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

**** off anyway. Show me one thing in the natural world with infinite growth.

Christ's love for us. You should know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Show me one thing in the natural world with infinite growth.
    The universe itself ?
    http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/universe.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Thinly veiled "I'm all right jack" thread .Yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Say what?

Annual growth or lack of is not the definition of a recession. It is over quarters and Ireland is officially back in recession.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland/ireland-s-economy-lurches-back-into-recession-1.1444786

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

A lot of people working in IT have no problems. So the OP could easily not see recession influence on his friends.

It easy enough to earn more now than the last few years in IT.

People saying everybody is suffering may want to take note that some regular people aren't suffering due to the industry they are in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Thinly veiled "I'm all right jack" thread .Yawn.

So its your fault if you're unemployed / don't drive a Porsche according to OP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

What recession ?

Well let me see, since the "recession" started:
    1. Take my Lunch to work from home
    2. Bring my own coffee to work
    3. Left Sky and Went to UPC, One year later cancelled UPC and went FreeView
    4. Moved from Contract Mobile phone of €45 pm to Prepay €20pm
    5. Eat out once a week with GF and/or Family - always early bird unless a specific event
    6. 9 out of 10 of my social gatherings now are drinks at home rather than pub
    7. When I do go to pub rather than having 10+ pints I have a few craft beers - enjoy better tasting beer and spend less
    8. Stopped driving to work and got an annual tax saver pass
    9. Locally only drive when necessary e.g. to get groceries

Plus I do more shopping in Lidl etc.. now carefully watching grocery spend.

I am far from the breadline and I earn a decent salary but have reduced income over the past few years but still have a mortgage etc to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Bet your mates say "Roish" and drink "Heino"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

cycnus wrote: »
    Glad your friends all have big screen tvs, blunts, 40's and b*tches. But some people are really suffering.

Wut?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

bbam wrote: »

We cannot possibly know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

There's a recession? First I've heard about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

What recession ?

OP should take this post to Dublin airport and see if all the people emigrating agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

gugleguy wrote: »
    So its your fault if you're unemployed / don't drive a Porsche according to OP

yeah, I really need to try harder. If I'm 6 foot under having never driven a Porsche my life has been wasted.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

Uriel. wrote: »
    Well let me see, since the "recession" started:
    1. Take my Lunch to work from home
    2. Bring my own coffee to work
    3. Left Sky and Went to UPC, One year later cancelled UPC and went FreeView
    4. Moved from Contract Mobile phone of €45 pm to Prepay €20pm
    5. Eat out once a week with GF and/or Family - always early bird unless a specific event
    6. 9 out of 10 of my social gatherings now are drinks at home rather than pub
    7. When I do go to pub rather than having 10+ pints I have a few craft beers - enjoy better tasting beer and spend less
    8. Stopped driving to work and got an annual tax saver pass
    9. Locally only drive when necessary e.g. to get groceries

Plus I do more shopping in Lidl etc.. now carefully watching grocery spend.

I am far from the breadline and I earn a decent salary but have reduced income over the past few years but still have a mortgage etc to pay.

But that's exactly the point - you shouldnt have been living like that in the first place. people went mad "keeping up with the joneses" and for what?

the only reason a lot of people are saying the word "recession" is because to them, shopping in Lidl instead of superquinn is the definition of being less of a class than they used to be, when we all should have been thrifty in the first place.

i for one, agree with the OP - all my mates are the same, even the ones on the dole - all iphones, or smart phones, loads of nights out in town, and all the things that they did when the "celtic tiger" was prevalent. NOW though, the difference is, they go to the bother of tracking down a good deal to make their money stretch further instead of parading into the first bar or whatever and paying a tenner for a pint cos they have money to burn.

Recession me hole.

Advertisement