Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair up prices shocker!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

What I don't get is this, Ryanair don't want you to have any baggage in the hold (OK with that), yet, in my opinion the allowances for cabin baggage do seem to be getting smaller year on year. So really, what do they want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

mrsoundie wrote: »
    What I don't get is this, Ryanair don't want you to have any baggage in the hold (OK with that), yet, in my opinion the allowances for cabin baggage do seem to be getting smaller year on year. So really, what do they want?

They want your money and to deal with smaller bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

mrsoundie wrote: »

Money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

markpb wrote: »
    I don't think that's entirely true. Some of the things they do are in their customers interests but we just don't realise it or appreciate it.

Being very strict about the size of carry-on luggage means that when people board, there's (generally) space for everyone's bags and we can take off on time. Are Lingus are far less strict with the outcome that the cabin crew spend 10-15 mins rearranging everyone's bags to try to make them fit.

Completely agree with this. I like that they are taking oversized or 2nd items of cabin baggage from people. I wish all other airlines were as strict. People blocking the aisle while they try to squeeze in a bag that doesnt fit is very annoying. As is being last in the plane and finding no room in the overhead compartments as people have taken on too large bags.

They are driving behaviour which, as their customer, I very much appreciate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

They fly into the Netherlands and the Czech Republic but not into the main cities. I would imagine more people would be looking to go to Amsterdam than Eindhoven or Groningen.

Anyway that aside if they don't want families going on holiday, people with luggage etc how far will they go before reducing their market too much.

The Eindhoven flight is always completely full with people that live and work in Eindhoven and other nearby cities, plus people that are going on Holidays or whatever.

It's hardly a small place with a population of 300000 people and with a main station that has direct rail links to Utrecht, Amsterdam, Maastricht, Rotterdam/Den Haag, Dusseldorf (via Venlo)

Why the fock would people living in Eindhoven want to fly from/to Amsterdam when its a 15 minute ride on the 400/401 bus that goes every 8-10 minutes from the center.

I guess I could say why does Ryanair fly to Dublin when I actually want to get to Cork. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

They fly into the Netherlands and the Czech Republic but not into the main cities. I would imagine more people would be looking to go to Amsterdam than Eindhoven or Groningen.

Anyway that aside if they don't want families going on holiday, people with luggage etc how far will they go before reducing their market too much.

I mentioned earlier in the thread. Amsterdam is an hours train journey from Eindhoven. The Netherlands (along with Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg) has the most amazing public transport system. They are fast and very cheap compared to here). Including the bus ride to the city from the airport, you're talking about 1 1/2 hours extra if you fly to Eindhoven rather than Amsterdam. But the flights are on average €100 cheaper. So it's a trade off. I can pay €33 an hour for an extra 3 hours of holidays if I go with Aer Lingus.

But I should point out that Dublin's public transport system is so crappy that if I fly into Dublin and what to get public transport home I'm talking about 1 hour from the airport to the city center and another hour home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

markpb wrote: »
    I don't think that's entirely true. Some of the things they do are in their customers interests but we just don't realise it or appreciate it.

Being very strict about the size of carry-on luggage means that when people board, there's (generally) space for everyone's bags and we can take off on time. Are Lingus are far less strict with the outcome that the cabin crew spend 10-15 mins rearranging everyone's bags to try to make them fit.

I don't necessarily mean with the bags and rules. I have no sympathy for people who bring too much luggage/don't print their boarding pass and then complain about being stung for more money - you agreed to that when you booked it!

What I meant was more the way they treat their customers in the airport or on the plane. Have had loads of experience of shoddy customer service from them. In Charleroi (which isn't Brussels, even if they try to say it is :pac:), they have a habit of calling passengers to board a good half an hour before they intend on doing so, so everyone stands in a tightly-packed queue for over 30min for no reason. Once, they actually let people through the gate even though the plane wasn't there yet, and 200+ of us had to queue on a narrow staircase for another 20min (health and safety??). In Seville, they let people board from both doors of the plane, meaning everyone just got stuck in the aisle and the cabin crew kept yelling at people to move down when they physically couldn't. Paying customers shouldn't be treated like cattle. I work in customer service and there's no way I'd ever treat my customers like they do (I'd probably get fired for it!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I don't necessarily mean with the bags and rules. I have no sympathy for people who bring too much luggage/don't print their boarding pass and then complain about being stung for more money - you agreed to that when you booked it!

What I meant was more the way they treat their customers in the airport or on the plane. Have had loads of experience of shoddy customer service from them. In Charleroi (which isn't Brussels, even if they try to say it is :pac:), they have a habit of calling passengers to board a good half an hour before they intend on doing so, so everyone stands in a tightly-packed queue for over 30min for no reason. Once, they actually let people through the gate even though the plane wasn't there yet, and 200+ of us had to queue on a narrow staircase for another 20min (health and safety??). In Seville, they let people board from both doors of the plane, meaning everyone just got stuck in the aisle and the cabin crew kept yelling at people to move down when they physically couldn't. Paying customers shouldn't be treated like cattle. I work in customer service and there's no way I'd ever treat my customers like they do (I'd probably get fired for it!).

They can let people through the Gate too early, but I think that's miscommunication not policy.

Opening both doors is fairly standard these days. Of course they then have to direct people to seats if they are acting the bollocks.

I see that quite a lot. And tbh, its just the customers being stupid! Not sure you can blame the staff who are probably just thinking "are these guys really this stupid?!"

Whichever end of the plane they get on, the average joe seems to want to walk to the other end of the plane in search of the miraculous empty row. And end up gridlocked in the middle! Seriously, like, I don't know when I last saw a ryanair passenger sit at the first seat available!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Whichever end of the plane they get on, the average joe seems to want to walk to the other end of the plane in search of the miraculous empty row. And end up gridlocked in the middle! Seriously, like, I don't know when I last saw a ryanair passenger sit at the first seat available!

This happens to me sometimes..

Goes like
    Kid
    fat
    fat
    looks crazy
    kid
    fat
    skangers
    Looks ok <-- Sit there

Same rules as on the bus really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Are you claiming to be better informed than the Ryanair management team?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

callaway92 wrote: »
    No need to lie BeerWolf.

Yeah, like I need to prove myself... whatever.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Less luggage = less turnaround time.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Less luggage = less turnaround time.

Not really, the main bottle neck in turnarounds is passenger loading, and if it's a long sector, then loading the fuel can also be a time consuming challenge. Loading and unloading bags can be comfortably done 12-15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cathalibm

End of the day, if you want to feel like traveling on a bus, Fly Ryanair and put up with all their issues! Otherwise fly a different airline.

For me personally i fly a mixture of different airlines and I find them cheaper and more polite overall than Ryanair. Ryanair claim to have the cheapest air fare, but with all the various charges that seem to show up and rudeness I will go out of my way to avoid dealing with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Really don't see what they have against hold luggage.

Processing and loading/unloading luggage takes time. Time = money.

Their model is fine for a person with a small piece of hand luggage, but must be a right royal pain in the hole for families with ankle biters in tow.

Cathalibm wrote: »
    End of the day, if you want to feel like traveling on a bus, Fly Ryanair and put up with all their issues! Otherwise fly a different airline.

For me personally i fly a mixture of different airlines and I find them cheaper and more polite overall than Ryanair. Ryanair claim to have the cheapest air fare, but with all the various charges that seem to show up and rudeness I will go out of my way to avoid dealing with them.

They are all flying buses. And the charges are easy to avoid.

Their model is fine for a person with a small piece of hand luggage, but must be a right royal pain in the hole for families with ankle biters in tow.

Yes. Ryanair doesn't want families, really. It's model is really suited for commuter, lone travelers, couples, short trips etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Lot of Ryanair staff on this thread, I suspect.
    I find it genuinely implausible that so many disinterested people would be inclined to defend Ryanair's appalling treatment of passengers, shady pricing system (which has been repeatedly condemned by the EU), and misleadingly named destinations on the (sole proffered and also dubious) basis that they are sometimes cheaper.
    I have a flight in two weeks. I got it 100 euro cheaper with another airline than Ryanair. I have another in September. An alternative airline gets me to a more convenient destination airport at a more convenient time for 40 euro cheaper.
    If people really are solely interested in the bottom line, then they really ought to compare prices as I suspect they'll find that Ryanair isn't the bargain option they think it is all the time.
    Price comparison sites like momondo.com can be very useful in this regard.

Lot of Ryanair staff on this thread

I think you'll find Ryanair staff are going to be the last ones to defend their company, the company treats them with contempt, and they treat it with contempt in return.

• Advertisement

I find it genuinely implausible that so many disinterested people would be inclined to defend Ryanair's appalling treatment of passengers, shady pricing system (which has been repeatedly condemned by the EU), and misleadingly named destinations on the (sole proffered and also dubious) basis that they are sometimes cheaper.
    I have a flight in two weeks. I got it 100 euro cheaper with another airline than Ryanair. I have another in September. An alternative airline gets me to a more convenient destination airport at a more convenient time for 40 euro cheaper.
    If people really are solely interested in the bottom line, then they really ought to compare prices as I suspect they'll find that Ryanair isn't the bargain option they think it is all the time.

Depends how early you book. Ryanair has the cheapest fares if you book early. London gatwick for €20, all in, any time in September, anyone? There is no cheaper airline for bookings well in advance. But is one of the most expensive if you book late, and you would definitely get cheaper by shopping around

That's their model. I love it as I book early and travel light....and that makes it is so cheap that I can also book seats in row 1. Which makes for an altogether more pleasant flight.....first on and first off the plane.

Those with bags, and those that book late, get royally screwed (and I think it is the price escalation for late bookers that the EU has a problem with), but I don't mind that as it subsidises the early bookers.

(and I'm not ryanair staff. My posting history would probably illustrate that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I like Ryanair. You need to have your wits about you when booking though. If a couple is going away for a week/2 week break, a checked in bag is the only viable option. If these new increases mean another provider is cheaper, then I'll use them. I presume Michael O'Leary has done his maths to see where this move takes him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Had heard something about a proposal for cabin baggage being subject to a charge for recently, but may be all part of Ryanair's cunning sh!t stirring PR dept's plan, like the charging for toilets and standing room only stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,223 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's the fawning hero worship you get when the topic of Ryanair is discussed that surprises me. I might understand it from older people who remember air travel pre Ryanair and credit them with revolutionising the industry. But if you're under 30 years old then you've existed in the era of affordable travel. As such, I can understand people wishing to point out that they may often be the cheapest option if you are careful with respect to the rules; but the over the top defenses you see of everything to do with Ryanair always baffle me!!

I have to travel over and back to the UK a little bit over the next while and my company is booking via Ryanair so I'll have to deal with it. But if it was my choice I'd go with Aer Lingus. A little more relaxed - less boxes to tick before you get on the flight and less noise and interruption while on it. Nice to have an assigned seat, nice to not have to print your own boarding card, etc. Why do people bristle so much at those handy things being pointed out to them?!! :confused:

Lots of momondo.com employees on this thread. Apparently.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's the fawning hero worship you get when the topic of Ryanair is discussed that surprises me. I might understand it from older people who remember air travel pre Ryanair and credit them with revolutionising the industry. But if you're under 30 years old then you've existed in the era of affordable travel. As such, I can understand people wishing to point out that they may often be the cheapest option if you are careful with respect to the rules; but the over the top defenses you see of everything to do with Ryanair always baffle me!!

I have to travel over and back to the UK a little bit over the next while and my company is booking via Ryanair so I'll have to deal with it. But if it was my choice I'd go with Aer Lingus. A little more relaxed - less boxes to tick before you get on the flight and less noise and interruption while on it. Nice to have an assigned seat, nice to not have to print your own boarding card, etc. Why do people bristle so much at those handy things being pointed out to them?!! :confused:

I think the opposite. The dislike of RyanAir is group think. I find RyanAir not just cheap but materially better as a frequent flyer to Bristol. Faster. More reliable. More likely to fly. The anti-Ryanair squad tend to assume their reasons are universal. Printing out boarding passes is a benefit not a hurdle. Who wants to checkin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Then don't travel with them if they're 'a right royal pain in the hole'. It's simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,223 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think the opposite. The dislike of RyanAir is group think. I find RyanAir not just cheap but materially better as a frequent flyer to Bristol. Faster. More reliable. More likely to fly. The anti-Ryanair squad tend to assume their reasons are universal. Printing out boarding passes is a benefit not a hurdle. Who wants to checkin?

Okay, but you can choose to check in online with other airlines if you so desire. In anycase, you have posted 15 times in this thread in defense of Ryanair! :) It's that level of support for them that I find surprising. People who use their services frequently are willing to go to great lengths to fiercely defend any criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

I just booked flights to Rome, price 81 euro per person return.

Same flights on the same day with Air Lingus 227 euro per person return.

And the airport Ryanair fly into is half the distance to the city than the Air Lingus one.

Nuff said.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Okay, but you can choose to check in online with other airlines if you so desire. In anycase, you have posted 15 times in this thread in defense of Ryanair! :) It's that level of support for them that I find surprising. People who use their services frequently are willing to go to great lengths to fiercely defend any criticism.

But that is only a counter to those that slag off anything and everything to do with Ryanair, and are incredulous that not everyone shares their view. Personally I find the level of antagonism toward Ryanair as surprising as you find the level of support

Advertisement