Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair up prices shocker!!

Options
  • 31-07-2013 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

So Ryanair are increasing the cost of putting luggage in the hold from €30 per bag to €50.

I fly Ryanair - I just always pack light so I don't need to pay the luggage fee. Would the increase cause anyone to not fly with them now? I don't mean those that already refuse to fly with them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

It probably means they will mostly get passengers flying for a weekend, and will lose a lot of passengers going away for a week or two. €100 euro return is crazy, probably cheaper to go shopping when you arrive in the new country and leave your clothes there.

Really don't see what they have against hold luggage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

meh, ryanair is cheap for the ticket and then piles on the extras. If you can avoid the extras its great. Otherwise just fly with another company if its such a huge increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Its a bit nuts all right.
    But for the last 15 years, with every unconsumer friendly move they make, we have been claiming that RA had taken one step too far....and low and behold they keep getting it right comercially and getting bigger.
    Scratches head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I can see longer flights being hit quite hard.A lot of families would fly into the likes of Murcia and rent a villa with bags checked for the summer holidays with Kids rather than the package holiday thing.In terms of this,it might benefit the travel agents.

Personally,it doesn't affect me and i couldn't give two shits once they keep their excellent prices and on time flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

It probably means they will mostly get passengers flying for a weekend, and will lose a lot of passengers going away for a week or two. €100 euro return is crazy, probably cheaper to go shopping when you arrive in the new country and leave your clothes there.

I'm going to guess they don't like baggage handlers and higher fuel consumption.

The days of cheap flights are over, the idea of using ryanair for a trip that lasts more than three or four days doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Have not flown with Ryanair for around 6 years and after that it won't be any-time soon.

Bye bye Mr O'Leary, I would rather give the money to Aer Lingus for the comfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Have not flown with Ryanair for around 6 years and after that it won't be any-time soon.

Bye bye Mr O'Leary, I would rather give the money to Aer Lingus for the comfort.

You kind of are giving him money flying with Aer lingus though.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seanyleary

They want to change everyone's mindset to travel with carry on baggage. Imagine there savings when you dont have check in staff, baggage handlers, baggage trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm going to guess they don't like baggage handlers and higher fuel consumption.

The days of cheap flights are over, the idea of using ryanair for a trip that lasts more than three or four days doesn't make sense.

Can't imagine a couple of 15kg bags making that much of a difference to fuel consumption. At this stage, they should be looking at charging fat passengers if the few kilos of extra weight is making that much of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If the complete flight package is still cheaper than the closest competitor (although I can't really fathom how), I don't really see the problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Saving a few lbs in luggage per person will save them millions in fuel consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

seanyleary wrote: »
    They want to change everyone's mindset to travel with carry on baggage. Imagine there savings when you dont have check in staff, baggage handlers, baggage trucks.

I wonder do they make more from hold luggage compared to the cost of just scapping it altogether. I'm surprised they haven't banned it yet if its costing too much fuel etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Unless youre going away more than a week, it shouldnt be a problem, 10kg of hand luggage is plenty for a weeks worth of clothes and supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I

You need to pay baggage handlers, you need to rent space and check in space, you have a slower turn around time. If a passenger with a baggage on board gets delayed in pub/ shops etc you have to look for the bag and take it off as oppose to just leaving them there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I only fly Ryan Air if I abso****inglutley have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

If ryan air flights are still much cheaper than there rivals and it suits me, then of I go, If not then I fly with some one else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Keith wrote: »
    Unless youre going away more than a week, it shouldnt be a problem, 10kg of hand luggage is plenty for a weeks worth of clothes and supplies.

for me, not a problem. for mrsTeal, you're having a laugh, you can't carry much in the way of cosmetics in hand luggage :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭mikeoneill893

doesn't it cost them on fuel no?

to fly the bag

• Site Banned Posts: 87 ✭✭F35

Maybe they'll use the money to revise their fuel policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Wait until they start charging passengers by weight.

Maybe they'll throw a few seats in the luggage hold.Cheaper Fares WOOOO!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

theteal wrote: »
    for me, not a problem. for mrsTeal, you're having a laugh, you can't carry much in the way of cosmetics in hand luggage :pac:

Tell her she looks grand without them and save a few bob.
    Even if it is a lie :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Everyones response is that it's horrible and dreadful. What ryanair does, aer lingus copy. I'll give it a week before aer lingus increases their baggage charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,925 ✭✭✭Patser

Yep, used to think that way until we had our 1st kid, then it's simply impossible. The Ryanair increases will probably push them out of the family market - which MO'L will probably use to advertise 'crying free flights'. It's a very high increase, which as someone else said adds up to €100 extra per adult going on a weeks holiday, over the cost of the ticket. Strange too that this came days after they announced huge profits again, so it's not like their cash strapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭josip

Beat me too it.

From now on the standard Uryan Air seat will be unallocated and in the hold. Seats in the daylight section above will cost €30 per person per leg. Daylight robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

you dont know many women,do you?

Ryanair is my last resort airline. will only fly them if the ticket is significantly cheaper.nothing against the business model but i only fly twice a year and i find Ryanair quite unpleasant on all fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

You kind of are giving him money flying with Aer lingus though.

That is true, but he does not have control over Aer Lingus which is more to the point for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

With a system of bike wheels and pedals for those less fortunate below, so that they can turn down the engines mid-flight and save even more fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They don't have anything against hold luggage. They just like taking money off people. I fly with Ryanair a lot, they are perfect for short breaks. Cheap and have always been on time when I've flown with them.

Advertisement