Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair up prices shocker!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yes in that case not flying Ryanair makes sense but really do people not know where beauvais is?

I know where it is, but not everybody is a frequent flyer. My mother wouldn't know that Beauvais is at least an hour outside Paris. Or that Oslo Torp is actually 120km from Oslo. Airports which are marketed as serving the cities in the name, when in reality it can involve a lengthy bus journey to get to the city. I've flown out of Oslo Torp and it takes 1.5 hours on the bus to get there. That's nowhere near Oslo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I know where it is, but not everybody is a frequent flyer. My mother wouldn't know that Beauvais is at least an hour outside Paris. Or that Oslo Torp is actually 120km from Oslo. Airports which are marketed as serving the cities in the name, when in reality it can involve a lengthy bus journey to get to the city. I've flown out of Oslo Torp and it takes 1.5 hours on the bus to get there. That's nowhere near Oslo.

That is their primary strategy. They find these smaller airports and buy slots in them for next to nothing. The airport is delighted to get the business from such a big carrier and Ryanair is happy because they can avoid the costs of getting slots in the major airports. The smaller airport is re-branded to include a major city name to attract customers. I have been stung in Oslo myself. Oslo Torp to Olso city centre is one long bus ride and I did it late in the night when there was no traffic on the road.
    Clarehobo wrote: »
    You obviously know nothing about Ryanair then. They constantly update their fleet:
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-seals-deal-for-175-boeing-planes-worth-15bn-29357456.html

Their fleet is probably the most modern out of all the carriers that use Irish airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

ryanair fly into rygge now which is about 35 miles from oslo, ryanair still fly into the main airports in many cities such as madrid, budapest, nice, closer to venice, rome than the main airports

if you travel outside europe alot of airports are nowhere near the cities they serve, dulles is 30 miles from downtown washington, o'hare is 20 miles from downtown chicago, narita is 35 miles from downtown tokyo

rossie1977 wrote: »
    ryanair fly into rygge now which is about 35 miles from oslo, ryanair still fly into the main airports in many cities such as madrid, budapest, nice, closer to venice, rome than the main airports

if you travel outside europe alot of airports are nowhere near the cities they serve, dulles is 30 miles from downtown washington, o'hare is 20 miles from downtown chicago, narita is 35 miles from downtown tokyo

Yes but in a lot of the major cities, to build an airport and associated services to serve such large cities with such large volumes of traffic it makes sense to have them outside the city. You couldn't exactly put Heathrow in Central London.

20 miles from downtown Chicago which would have the established transports links necessary as it is the main airport serving the city is very different from 70-75 miles from your destination city in a regional town where there might be one bus going every hour and taxis are just too expensive to justify the cost.

I've flown with Ryanair loads of times, but at this stage I'd prefer to land close to where I'm going and save myself the hassle of having to haul a suitcase on a bus for 60-90 minutes, to save a few quid. Also the constant musak on Ryanair flights and announcements every 5 minutes trying to sell stuff drives me cracked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Yes but in a lot of the major cities, to build an airport and associated services to serve such large cities with such large volumes of traffic it makes sense to have them outside the city. You couldn't exactly put Heathrow in Central London.

20 miles from downtown Chicago which would have the established transports links necessary as it is the main airport serving the city is very different from 70-75 miles from your destination city in a regional town where there might be one bus going every hour and taxis are just too expensive to justify the cost.

I've flown with Ryanair loads of times, but at this stage I'd prefer to land close to where I'm going and save myself the hassle of having to haul a suitcase on a bus for 60-90 minutes, to save a few quid. Also the constant musak on Ryanair flights and announcements every 5 minutes trying to sell stuff drives me cracked.

In most cases you fly to the main airport. Paris is an exception , and maybe one or two others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Hahahaha. So true. Did I print off the boarding card right? How heavy is my bag? How wide is my bag - will it fit in the measuring thing? Will I be able to get it out again while being watched by Ryanair staff?

I always find I get into the plane and once I sit down I can finally breathe again. I think, 'got this flight for €50 return to London. Fcuk you, Ryanair!'

What Ryan Air have done is gotten the consumer to do all of the logistics work that they used to do, whilst trying to charge the consumer extra for it. Weight distribution of baggage in the hold for optimal fuel efficiency, fuel load, load times, missing baggage procedures, etc; all laid at the customers feet basically. And all whilst being as miserable and unfriendly as possible. I have never encountered a travel company whose staff seem to actually take pride in being rude to customers.

If you want hassle-free air travel; here's an example; SAS. Go onto website, book flight. The price you see is the actual price you get charged, not a false before-we-add-sh1t-on price. You have a baggage allowance that is reasonable, and if you go over that you get charged extra. Simple. By contrast RyanAir & Aer Lingus, you almost don't want to click "next" so you can be demoralised watching the price jump with each step.

Not that this makes much difference to me; I try to avoid using them [Ryan Air] as much as possible unless they are significantly cheaper than the next airline. Just not worth the stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Lemming wrote: »
    What Ryan Air have done is gotten the consumer to do all of the logistics work that they used to do, whilst trying to charge the consumer extra for it. Weight distribution of baggage in the hold for optimal fuel efficiency, fuel load, load times, missing baggage procedures, etc; all laid at the customers feet basically. And all whilst being as miserable and unfriendly as possible. I have never encountered a travel company whose staff seem to actually take pride in being rude to customers.

If you want hassle-free air travel; here's an example; SAS. Go onto website, book flight. The price you see is the actual price you get charged, not a false before-we-add-sh1t-on price. You have a baggage allowance that is reasonable, and if you go over that you get charged extra. Simple. By contrast RyanAir & Aer Lingus, you almost don't want to click "next" so you can be demoralised watching the price jump with each step.

Not that this makes much difference to me; I try to avoid using them [Ryan Air] as much as possible unless they are significantly cheaper than the next airline. Just not worth the stress.

That's not actually true if you don't buy the extra stuff and check bags. Price quoted now, up front, includes tax and check in fee. Your post is a complete exaggeration

In most cases you fly to the main airport. Paris is an exception , and maybe one or two others.

And for every city they fly into direct there's another one they don't fly into:

e.g.

Copenhagen,
    Stockholm
    Oslo
    Prague
    Vienna
    Paris
    Amsterdam
    Lisbon

What I've found in the past is what I'm saving on the Ryanair flight, I'm spending on extra public transport at the other end to get to and from the airport. So if they fly into the main airport great (Berlin Schonefeld) but if they don't (Amsterdam), I'll take the Aer Lingus flight and save myself the hassle.

That's not actually true if you don't buy the extra stuff and check bags. Price quoted now, up front, includes tax and check in fee. Your post is a complete exaggeration

No it isn't, not everybody is going on an overnight/weekend trip and can fit everything into one carry on bag. People going on holidays for a week or two are most likely going to have more stuff to bring and may want to bring stuff back with them. Ryanair would have you believe that no one needs luggage anymore.

Ryanair might have great cost cutting measures but if they are working their employees to the bone it filters down in how their customers are treated. I'd prefer to fly with another airline for the sake of another €10-20 and have service with a smile and not feel like I'm an inconvenience when approaching the check in desk with my suitcase

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Would be good if ryanair could run even cheaper flights by having hand luggage only flights on some of the flights on the busy short hauls.

For me price is key, And whatever people say about Ryanair i have got some great deals with them, I couldn't give a damn if the stewardess does not smile at me or whatever, Flying is just a means to an end.

Mostly though i find Ryanair staff to be nice if your nice to them and play by the rules, Clearly some people have had bad experiences though.

• Advertisement

No it isn't, not everybody is going on an overnight/weekend trip and can fit everything into one carry on bag. People going on holidays for a week or two are most likely going to have more stuff to bring and may want to bring stuff back with them. Ryanair would have you believe that no one needs luggage anymore.

Ryanair might have great cost cutting measures but if they are working their employees to the bone it filters down in how their customers are treated. I'd prefer to fly with another airline for the sake of another €10-20 and have service with a smile and not feel like I'm an inconvenience when approaching the check in desk with my suitcase

You keep changing your argument. Is it the service? The distance from airports -- thats legit, in certain circumstances -- or what? Or which? Both?

I am sure that RyanAir is not for you. Thats good. Funny enough, even though it is cheap, it is the airline of choice for business and frequent flyers. For families it is not. I am happy with that, I don't look at EasyJet with any envy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

And for every city they fly into direct there's another one they don't fly into:

e.g.

Copenhagen,
    Stockholm
    Oslo
    Prague
    Vienna
    Paris
    Amsterdam
    Lisbon

What I've found in the past is what I'm saving on the Ryanair flight, I'm spending on extra public transport at the other end to get to and from the airport. So if they fly into the main airport great (Berlin Schonefeld) but if they don't (Amsterdam), I'll take the Aer Lingus flight and save myself the hassle.

Why are the likes of Prague and Amsterdam on that list, Ryanair don't claim to serve them in anyway at all, so it can hardly be considered a negative.
    Might as well stick Tokyo and Kabul on the list.

Ryanair wants people who travel regularly and travel light. If you are taking your family on holiday, with a load of bags, it does not want your business, unless you make it worth its while (by paying the baggage fees set so high so as to be a disincentive)

It is a private company and well within its rights to say it doesn't want your business

I am a frequent flyer, play by its rules, and get great deals to all sorts of destinations. I love MoL's business plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Im visiting Germany and its saving me 100 euros and a 10 hour transit, granted Im only going for 4 days, but ive seen people traveling with far more luggage than theyd need for the amount of days they will be gone

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Ryanair, the marmite of the Aviation industry. You either love them or hate them but they are very good at what they do and are never out to please all the people all the time.

They have a very modern fleet, one of the most modern on the planet, they move vast volumes of people on an annual basis and they are making money hand over fist when most others in the same industry are struggling to keep their heads above water.

As other posters have said, they have spotted a gap in the market and they fill it very very well. I know a few people working for Ryanair and some love working for them, others hate it.

The airline industry has a lot of fat added to an average fare that most people don't want and can't avoid. Ryanair offer you the chance do exactly that.

If you don't want to bring a checked in bag, you don't pay for it
    If you don't want food on a flight, you don't have to
    If you just want to get there cheaply and quickly, they can do that for you.

With this baggage charge increase I think what they are doing is making people think more about what they pack. Do you need 10 pairs of shoes for 2 weeks in the sun, do you need 10 pairs of shorts for a week of lazing on beach etc.

People pack a lot of unnecessary stuff when they travel and half of it they don't use. I reckon most couples could easily get away with one checked in bag between 2 and a carry on each for 2 weeks in the sun.

However for some people, flying is still an experience they want to enjoy and want to bring a bag, want an in flight meal and want to land somewhere convenient to where they are going. These people probably will never fly Ryanair and good for them if they can afford not to. Most of Ryanair's customers are not in such a lucky position.

Me, I'm on the fence on this one.

While they are a pain in the ass to deal with, they are sometimes the better option for a cheap flight. Other times I have found main carriers to be actually cheaper than Ryanair, so they don't win the price battle all the time.

But they serve a purpose and if I need to use them I will. Other times, I'll go elsewhere. At the end of the day, nearly every Ryanair flight I've been on has been close or completely full and I've been to a fair few places with them. So some people out there obviously believe they are a good service and are willing to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Hey could say likewise for you to feck off yourself - I've flown with them before, but thanks for the assumptious attitude there.

People are entitled to their opinions, deal with it and shut up next time.

No need to lie BeerWolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Really don't see what they have against hold luggage.

Operational costs. Everyone gives RyanAir stick but I think they are probably one of the best managed companies in Europe, let alone Ireland. And before anyone shouts the odds at me it costs nearly the same to travel from Dublin to Manchester by plane than Dublin to Cork on a train. The cost of maintaining aircraft compared to a train is significantly more.

Why are the likes of Prague and Amsterdam on that list, Ryanair don't claim to serve them in anyway at all, so it can hardly be considered a negative.
    Might as well stick Tokyo and Kabul on the list.

They fly into the Netherlands and the Czech Republic but not into the main cities. I would imagine more people would be looking to go to Amsterdam than Eindhoven or Groningen.

Anyway that aside if they don't want families going on holiday, people with luggage etc how far will they go before reducing their market too much.

I used to fly regularly with Ryanair but now I would tend to choose other airlines ( not always aerlingus) that fly directly into the city I want to go to, and generally have a more comfortable experience on board. If I am taking multiple flights on at least two different airlines Ryanair tends to be the most restrictive with luggage which would then dictate what I can bring on onward flights and doesn't fly into many of the major European airports ( heathrow, schiphol etc) which means either less choice on onward flights or travel from one airport to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

you dont know many women,do you?
    I evidently don't know many women either, as I can't quite fathom what they might have to carry that is so much heavier than a guy's luggage. Perhaps you could enlighten some of us?

Feel free to ignore the case where they're carrying their child in their hand luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

They fly into the Netherlands and the Czech Republic but not into the main cities. I would imagine more people would be looking to go to Amsterdam than Eindhoven or Groningen.

Meh, it just seemed strange/weird to include those two cities on a list of 'cities they dont fly into direct' as that implied that they were claiming some link between the big city and the faraway regional airport. Which in these cases they aren't. Like even the thickest Liveline listener can't ring up and say they were stunned to find Eindhoven airport wasn't somewhere near Vondel Park.

We won't fall out over it and your list would have been fine with CharloeiBrussels and HahnFrankfurt instead, as they do take the piss there :).

As an aside I was suprised just to see how many destinations they do fly to when I looked at their destination map (and Aer Lingus also in fairness).
    When I first started booking solo flights and abandoning the safety net of the travel agent/charter flight (late 90s), other than the UK it was fairly slim pickings. Ryanair only had Beauvais and Charloei, and AL had around 10/12 big cities in Western Europe.
    Now between these two and other airlines we seem to have direct flights to what seems around 100 destinations in all corners of the continent.
    Incredible really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I know where it is, but not everybody is a frequent flyer. My mother wouldn't know that Beauvais is at least an hour outside Paris.

That's why I'd never fly Ryanair to Paris.

Fly with anyone else and land in Charles de Gaulle which is 10 metres from the Champs-Élysées.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ILikeFriday

Ficheall wrote: »
    I can't quite fathom what they might have to carry that is so much heavier than a guy's luggage. Perhaps you could enlighten some of us?

Right, well, hairdryer, hair straighteners, way more toiletries than men, make up, more clothes as can't get away with same couple of suits for work/formal occasions, more shoes as required to wear heels sometimes but would die if wore them all the time.:p

Being serious, I hopped over to the UK a few times for interviews recently and my luggage literally only contained laptop, suit, shoes, toiletries, notes, hairdryer and straighteners and I still had to put the jacket of the suit on over my casual clothes getting on the plain to take some weight out of my luggage. 15kg is nothing. This was only for a one night trip.

Right, well, hairdryer, hair straighteners, way more toiletries than men, make up, more clothes as can't get away with same couple of suits for work/formal occasions, more shoes as required to wear heels sometimes but would die if wore them all the time.:p

Being serious, I hopped over to the UK a few times for interviews recently and my luggage literally only contained laptop, suit, shoes, toiletries, notes, hairdryer and straighteners and I still had to put the jacket of the suit on over my casual clothes getting on the plain to take some weight out of my luggage. 15kg is nothing. This was only for a one night trip.

Come on, that's a bit ridiculous now. I fly a lot with my job, mostly on overnight trips, and often with female colleagues. And none of these female colleagues have ever checked a bag for an overnighter!!!

15kg is what, 2.3 stone or 33 pounds? Do clothes add up to that much. Can you even pack the carry on bag to be that heavy?

Come on, that's a bit ridiculous now. I fly a lot with my job, mostly on overnight trips, and often with female colleagues. And none of these female colleagues have never checked a bag for an overnighter!!!

what's rediculous about my list? and I didn't check a bag. That's my point, but it was an uncomfortably tight squeeze. If I had to go for a few nights I would and then 50 euro would probably be the difference between one airline and another.

15kg is what, 2.3 stone or 33 pounds? Do clothes add up to that much. Can you even pack the carry on bag to be that heavy?

Yeah, you can. Because the muppets at Ryanair make you put everything in the bag including your laptop and any books/paper which weigh loads.

Yeah, you can. Because the muppets at Ryanair make you put everything in the bag including your laptop.

I can see the laptop adding to the weight. And the bag itself. The rest of your items come nowhere near heavy enough.

Not that weight is really the issue as I've never seen them weigh a bag if it passed the size test.

I can see the laptop adding to the weight. And the bag itself. The rest of your items come nowhere near heavy enough.

Not that weight is really the issue as I've never seen them weigh a bag if it passed the size test.

A hairdryer and straighteners together probably equal the weight of a laptop. I couple of books could be a couple of kg.

I've seen them weigh everyones luggage at Shannon when they've nothing else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

No, carry-on luggage is only 10kg and it all has to fit in one specifically-sized bag. You can book a 15 or 20 kg check-in bag - the 15 is barely worth the cost considering suitcases weigh 3 or 4 kg empty!

If I'm only going for a few days, I don't book a bag cause I'm pretty good at packing light. But not everyone is on short trips - last year, I was away for a month and Ryanair were the only airline that flew anywhere near my destination. That was hard to pack for :P

I never have any problems with Ryanair cause I play by their rules, but I do hate the way they treat their customers as an inconvenience rather than their livelihood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

I do hate the way they treat their customers as an inconvenience rather than their livelihood!

I don't think that's entirely true. Some of the things they do are in their customers interests but we just don't realise it or appreciate it.

Being very strict about the size of carry-on luggage means that when people board, there's (generally) space for everyone's bags and we can take off on time. Are Lingus are far less strict with the outcome that the cabin crew spend 10-15 mins rearranging everyone's bags to try to make them fit.

Advertisement