Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

I would follow PK to Newstalk, but reception here is woeful - may need to look at wiring up that antenna on the roof!

IMHO Kenney does an excellent job when interviewing - not just well prepared with research, but also able to think on his feet. Just hope he ditches M-L O'Donnell and that whiney Paddy O'Gorman when he moves.

FWIW, Myles did an excellent job yesterday giving Pat McQuaid a hard time. More of the same please!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Scartbeg wrote: »
    I would follow PK to Newstalk, but reception here is woeful - may need to look at wiring up that antenna on the roof!

IMHO Kenney does an excellent job when interviewing - not just well prepared with research, but also able to think on his feet. Just hope he ditches M-L O'Donnell and that whiney Paddy O'Gorman when he moves.

FWIW, Myles did an excellent job yesterday giving Pat McQuaid a hard time. More of the same please!
    Hey, Hey...don't be knockin' Paddy there now....!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Havermeyer wrote: »
    I can't say I'm sorry to see Dunne go, either.

Why are people, not just yourself, assuming Dunne will be going ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    I was never a fan. A very good move for PK at this stage in his life. Good luck to him.

A great move for RTE also. This sets a mark for some others who IMHO are still paid far too much for what they offer on air i.e. you can be done without when your contract expires.

They need Michael O'Leary in there to do the contract renewals and bring the fees back to reality !

What are you talking about? It's a terrible move for RTE, their advertising revenue for that slot is about to take a beating. It's a lose-lose situation for RTE and win-win for Pat Kenny and the other high earners in RTE. Of course RTE can do without Kenny but their schedule won't be as good without him and they are going to lose a hell of a lot of listeners for that slot.

It also shows that RTE will be under huge pressure to retain the other big stars as the loss of Kenny is huge. This is a terrible loss for RTE IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Email account now stands for "posts kenny " according to myles

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Why are people, not just yourself, assuming Dunne will be going ?

He says he's staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

I think someone of Kenny's profile moving from the state broadcaster to the independent sector is an unprecedented move but lets not get carried away. Kenny much like the rest of RTE is of pensionable age and long past his best. Its staggering to think Kenny spent 41 years being funded by the tax payer, show me an independent radio station in the country thats even anywhere near that old, its proof if it were needed that a job in rte is virtually a job for life.

It will be very interesting to see what his listenership figures are like at Newstalk. Personally I have never been his greatest fan. Too often during interviews you find that Pat simply cannot resist showing off his knowledge by answering the questions, he has just asked his interviewee, with his own answers. That aside good luck to him.

It is vital now for Newstalk to back him up with the resources he will need. The other thing that is vital right now is to sort out their breakfast show. Chris O Donoghue is not nearly heavyweight, articulate, nay old enough to be Pat kenny's warm up man. I liked Ivan yates on breakfast, the sooner they get him back the better.

Question now is will this lead to an outflow of talent from Montrose to the independent sector? Answer is NO. This in my opinion was a once off. Kenny was disgruntled with RTE and thought he had nothing to lose by cutting ties after 4 decades, he is now a big big fish in a small station. He will certainly bring some listeners with him but you cannot underestimate the loyalty the over 40's show to RTE in this country, in my opinion unless some other big names leave Montrose it will be business as usual in Donnybrook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

kneemos wrote: »
    He says he's staying.

I expect that Newstalk will shortly announce a rejig to the schedule, perhaps Hook will retire and the likes of Tom Dunne would move to the drivetime slot or somebody else will take that and Dunne will take their slot

Also is the breakfast show now permanent with Chris and coleman or are we likely to see ivan come back with chris and coleman moving to a different slot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

/\ heybaby I have a thread open for this sort of discussion if you want to throw it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

bazermc wrote: »
    perhaps Hook will retire
    Not likely! Unless he has health issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

GSF wrote: »
    Not likely! Unless he has health issues.

he does, its called grumpiness :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Hey, Hey...don't be knockin' Paddy there now....!!!

"are you in a relationship yourself?" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

blue4ever wrote: »
    Philip Boucher-Hayes?? - he's got the same kinda takes no bo11ox when its necessary and is an intelligent and affable soul

You mean the 'investigative journalist' who bought Pamela Izevbekhai's story hook, line and sinker and more or less used RTE to campaign on her behalf?

He should've been sacked.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭squonk

Hopefully NT will use this as an excuse to get some decent presenters into their morning show now. I don't listen to NT at all really but I've had the misfortune to hear bits in the morning on the way into work with that D4 sounding twat Chris and Norah 'Airhead' Casey. It's dreadful radio. Can't stand Chris's smug voice. Mostly it's them prattling on about nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

squonk wrote: »
    Hopefully NT will use this as an excuse to get some decent presenters into their morning show now. I don't listen to NT at all really but I've had the misfortune to hear bits in the morning on the way into work with that D4 sounding twat Chris and Norah 'Airhead' Casey. It's dreadful radio. Can't stand Chris's smug voice. Mostly it's them prattling on about nothing.

Funny I switched over too this morning- just to see what TD would say at 10:00.
    I had to endure 15 mins of utter sh1t. Oh God, something radical has to be done before and aft to secure listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 unclevass

Great news for the taxpayer! Finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Frivolous I know but lets muse:

Kenny takes 40% of his current listeners. The knock-on for RTE is that Collins drops 20% and News at One 10% not having the same slingshot and overlap with Collins....

Old and new plotted in the attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

blue4ever wrote: »
    Frivolous I know but lets muse:

Kenny takes 40% of his current listeners. The knock-on for RTE is that Collins drops 20% and News at One 10% not having the same slingshot and overlap with Collins....

Old and new plotted in the attached.

Interesting. It might be a good time for RTE to review the Ronan Collins slot. It has an audience but it is really just a filler between two big hitters (PK and News at One). Hard to imagine many people switch over to hear Ronan at 12. Maybe they could bring in Cathal Murray to shake it up.

Equally, whatever follows Pat Kenny on Newstalk will get a boost (most likely the Lunchtime show with Jonathan Healy moved to 12.30)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭alphamule

Why is this big news?

The Irish public really are quite dumb!

Or dumbed down!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

alphamule wrote: »
    Why is this big news?
    In this forum or in general?

In this forum, it's big news because instead of having to gossip about speculation, we can gossip about an actual fact. Now, we can speculate about the knock-on effects and gossip about that. :D

In general, it's big news because it's August ;)

Actually I don't believe that. It's a big change for a "famous" person. That's always going to fill papers, the blogosphere and the twitosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

What are you talking about? It's a terrible move for RTE, their advertising revenue for that slot is about to take a beating. It's a lose-lose situation for RTE and win-win for Pat Kenny and the other high earners in RTE. Of course RTE can do without Kenny but their schedule won't be as good without him and they are going to lose a hell of a lot of listeners for that slot.

It also shows that RTE will be under huge pressure to retain the other big stars as the loss of Kenny is huge. This is a terrible loss for RTE IMO.
    while it's not obviously not ideal for RTE, i think if they get someone like Richard Crowley or Seán O'Rourke in there (ie. an older, recognisable broadcaster with plenty of Current Affairs experience), they'll keep a pretty big chunk of listeners. a lot of people just stick to RTE by habit....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭alphamule

serfboard wrote: »
    In this forum or in general?

In this forum, it's big news because instead of having to gossip about speculation, we can gossip about an actual fact. Now, we can speculate about the knock-on effects and gossip about that. :D

In general, it's big news because it's August ;)

Actually I don't believe that. It's a big change for a "famous" person. That's always going to fill papers, the blogosphere and the twitosphere.

I get ya.

I just find it entirely irrelevant!

This week in science should be front page material not fat head Pat Kenny.

Different strokes and all that I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Skid X wrote: »
    Interesting. It might be a good time for RTE to review the Ronan Collins slot. It has an audience but it is really just a filler between two big hitters (PK and News at One). Hard to imagine many people switch over to hear Ronan at 12. Maybe they could bring in Cathal Murray to shake it up.

I've been saying it even before the latest bombshell but surely the logical thing to do is to put the current affairs-oriented programme on straight after Morning Ireland, then have Tubridy or whoever doing a 'lite' show between 11 and 1? Maybe the thinking is you need to break up the heavier stuff with short music-led programmes but I think most listeners would prefer it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I've been saying it even before the latest bombshell but surely the logical thing to do is to put the current affairs-oriented programme on straight after Morning Ireland, then have Tubridy or whoever doing a 'lite' show between 11 and 1? Maybe the thinking is you need to break up the heavier stuff with short music-led programmes but I think most listeners would prefer it this way.

I know a lot of my family/neighbours enjoy the Ronan Collins show at lunchtime, they tune in especially and enjoy his show after all the news that they listen to. I think the numbers are there for them to keep.

It brings me back to the fact that RTE is not just about the Pale (for the want of a better word).......No offense to anyone, but RTE is a way of life in the life of my relations who can't even get a decent Newstalk signal.....I don't think many of them will switch to NT to follow Pat K as they are set in their ways and that's just the way it is. No one is indispensable. Ronan Collins is very popular with his slot and you can't have news on all the time.

We basically just need new blood in RTE. No nepotism, no relations - just talent. There are young presenters out there, let RTE just do a proper job for once in their life and not employ "in the knows" and do us all a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's worth pointing out that anyone with a satellite dish for UK TV can get Newstalk on it.
    An awful lot of people with satellite TV don't realise it does radio as well.

Ideally Newstalk would go onto the Saorview radio channels too, but there's no free space at the moment.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Have to admit I don't get the "lite" stuff at all .

Soon as pats over I switch to newstalk . If I could do the same after that to get another hard news program instead of moncreif / liveline id do that too.

I think the problem lies more with repeating yourself over public demand for it.

TBH podcasts saves me from the lite stuff till Matt cooper comes on .

Maybe I'm an aberation but I don't think I'm the only one that could do without the filler

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AZTEC818

The Indo reported yesterday that there would be another big name exit from RTE in the near future.

Anyone go an idea who that might be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

AZTEC818 wrote: »
    The Indo reported yesterday that there would be another big name exit from RTE in the near future.

Anyone go an idea who that might be ?

Marian possibly. RTE cannot pay her wages anymore. Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

AZTEC818 wrote: »
    The Indo reported yesterday that there would be another big name exit from RTE in the near future.Anyone go an idea who that might be ?

Noel Curran.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Marian possibly. RTE cannot pay her wages anymore. Ridiculous.
    Wind back not too many years ago and removing Pat and Marian would save a million euro from the wage bill! (And yes, I know they're contractors).

Throw in Tubridy as well and you could replace those three people with 30 (good) people from local/community radio. They could go into production and you could bump others up.

Advertisement