Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Pat Kenny Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

RTE Six One News still bleating on about Pat Kenny's 2008 salary.

Not very classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Skid X wrote: »
    RTE Six One News still bleating on about Pat Kenny's 2008 salary.

Not very classy.

They are trying to sweep him under the carpet not very convincingly I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

kneemos wrote: »
    Where's Tom Dunne going then,Moncrief says nobody is losing their jobs.

Honestly hard to see where his slot would fit, maybe a late night show after sport or a weekend slot. Alternatively they could move him to today FM/

• Site Banned Posts: 87 ✭✭F35

Calhoun wrote: »
    Honestly hard to see where his slot would fit, maybe a late night show after sport or a weekend slot. Alternatively they could move him to today FM/

Toy show maybe?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭GSF

Say what ya want but its the coup of the day

Those Eyptian generals are going to have to up their game!

Anyways, I'm surprisedKenny didn't insist on a 9am start. He used to always be upset that Gaybo had the 9am slot at RTE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

This is a good move for NT. As much as I like Tom Dunne, the writing has been on the wall for a while now and, frankly, his figures just didn't justify him keeping that slot anymore.

September will be rather interesting, could we see a return of Ivan Yates as well to bolster Breakfast's lineup and try and halt the tailspin?

Even more interesting will be the schedule...

07:00 - 10:00 - Breakfast
    10:00 - 12:30 - Pat Kenny
    12:30 - 14:00 - Lunchtime
    14:00 - 16:30 - Moncrief
    16:30 - 19:00 - Hook*
    19:00 - 22:00 - OTB
    22:00 - 00:00 - Misc**

*I wonder how long Hook will keep his slot. You'd imagine that Cooper would be a ready-made replacement for when he decides to retire, opening up the way to make Today FM a more music focused station and NT the more heavy hitting CA station.

**If it were me, I'd consider making Coleman at Large a 4 or 5-day a week show, and move the more fluffy shows (The Green Room, Davenport, Splanc) to the new weekend schedule with Norah Casey.

As for Tom Dunne, anyone reckon he might be parachuted (eh? :P) into the 98FM schedule to replace the pre-recorded Seacrest show with some version of Pet Sounds? Or, if Cooper were to move, could we see Dunne returning to his old Today FM slot and Colm O'Sullivan taking drive?

Whatever happens, I'd be really sad to see Dunne leaving the airwaves. He's a really talented, likable presenter, I think he was majorly let down by the talk show format which he just didn't suit at all in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 alfagirl

JM Skipton wrote: »
    I think Aine Lawlor has been a very good stand in for Marian, an outside bet?

Absolutely agree, lovely relaxed broadcasting for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭blue4ever

In terms of TD I'd have said Phantom a few years back - but TD may have moved on from that style.

Interesting one in terms of PK his last quoted salary was radio and TV. So lets just say he is getting half a bar for the newstalk slot (madness I know - only making a point).

For that and to wash kenny's face N/T have to bring in an extra €2000 a show/day or, put is another way,an extra €385 per half hour during his show.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

alfagirl wrote: »
    Absolutely agree, lovely relaxed broad for the weekend.

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Poor Tom :( I have avoided NT since the off the ball lads left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Tom was looking happy as he strolled through the square in Temple Bar last Thursday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭el pasco

Newstalk has poor reception around the country and nowhere near as good as reception as RTE Radio so there listeners than they can hear there programmes could be down on what RTE Radio get
    Also Newstalk is more of an urban Dublin centric station than a national broadcaster so I wonder will it be as successful
    If Pat Kenny does not pull in the listeners then I wonder will he be sacked after a year or two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

I'd be looking to give Keelin Shanley Kenny's slot.

She is exellent in her new morning show on RTE TV, the problem is that very few people have the opportunity to watch her.

She has a long pedigree in RTE. She's very bright and not afraid to tackle hard issues.

Putting her on RTE radio 1 in the morning would certainly work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

I can't say I'm sorry to see Dunne go, either. I've never been a fan of his, but the show on Newstalk completely lost its way.

Two hours of him talking about his wife and kids, and giving away 'nudey pens'. Woeful stuff.

Having said that, I've mixed feelings about Kenny to NT. If his show is similar to the RTE show, it'll basically be PK Today - but with more ads. :S

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SmallCroc

There will be more than a few interested parties looking on when P Kenny takes to newstalk for the first time - we're going to get an answer to the age old question - do people tune in to hear Pat Kenny, or are they tuning in to RTÈ?

Massive implications for the bottom lines of Marion, Joe et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

PK to NewsTalk is the first step to making them a serious player. If they can nail down solid Breakfast Show and Lunchtime presenters, a lot of listeners will have their dials permanently on 106. For the first time ever, NewsTalk will be able to challenge RTE.

It's a real game changer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 ugly_mug

is jonathan healy leaving

please say yes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Pat Kenny got a pay package from rival station Newstalk that the State broadcaster could not meet, allegedly

Big fish...................small pond :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Pensions was the big "buzz" word some years back when Newstalk made a move for the big names at RTE. Now that most of the elder lemons have the pension secure we might see a few more big names move in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

His remuneration was € 630,000 in 2011, € 729,604 in 2009 and € 950,976 in 2008. (Source Irish Times)

Reckon RTE were under pressure to lop another 100k off his pay minimum. If Newstalk offered him 500k I imagine he'd jump at it given he would not have any TV work to do on top of the radio.

i was looking at the drops for RTEs other big name "stars" and i think 10% would be getting off likely.

my money would be on a cut of near or about 30% inline with what brendan o connor, miriam, marion and tubs have suffered.

in fact tubs - who they pimp as their best paid now - is only on circa 500k.

so doing the maths i think pats new deal was for no more than 400k or so.

i bet all dinny had to do was match turbridys wages and pat ran to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

jays just realised seeing as pats resigned "with immediate effect" tomorrow is the first "pat kenny show" that isnt !

wonder if someone in montrose is busiely running about trying to get a jingle together for myles tomorrow .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭cosbloodymick

i was looking at the drops for RTEs other big name "stars" and i think 10% would be getting off likely.

my money would be on a cut of near or about 30% inline with what brendan o connor, miriam, marion and tubs have suffered.

in fact tubs - who they pimp as their best paid now - is only on circa 500k.

so doing the maths i think pats new deal was for no more than 400k or so.

i bet all dinny had to do was match turbridys wages and pat ran to him.

Fact is RTE cannot afford Pat Kenny. He has effectively told them to shove their pay cuts where the sun don't shine as he'll get more in the private sector. Fair play to him imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

There's no way Kenny will be on half as much as he was in RTE. Newstalk doesn't generate the kind of money RTE gets from the licence fees.

The man is 65. He's already very wealthy. Its quite possible its not all about the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

jeepers101 wrote: »
    There's no way Kenny will be on half as much as he was in RTE. Newstalk doesn't generate the kind of money RTE gets from the licence fees.

The man is 65. He's already very wealthy. Its quite possible its not all about the money.

Has He not lost a Lot in Property investments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

jeepers101 wrote: »

I think that's a very important point Jeepers... It's not like the time Marty Whelan left RTE for Century.. He risked his career and indeed lost it for quite a few years... Pat is loaded, and the choice for him may have been more like.. "will I retire, or will I give NT a shot for a few years"... If it works, then great, if it doesnt then he can just retire with no great loss.. Given that he seems to have been p1ssed off over the cutting of The Frontline, I'd say that is exactly what he was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I wonder if Pat will bring his funky theme tune with him ... the kid in the video would be devastated if he doesn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

jays just realised seeing as pats resigned "with immediate effect" tomorrow is the first "pat kenny show" that isnt !

wonder if someone in montrose is busiely running about trying to get a jingle together for myles tomorrow .

Ah technically its "Today with Pat kenny or Myles Dungan or whoever", so it'll be a smooth transition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah technically its "Today with Pat kenny or Myles Dungan or whoever", so it'll be a smooth transition.

There's no way that Myles will be allowed to present the show full time.. The three people who listen to The History Show just wont have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

BBC or ABC must be really kicking themselves that they missed out in the race to snap up the talented Pat Kenny :pac:

That's the justification used by RTE in paying out jumbo salaries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

I was never a fan. A very good move for PK at this stage in his life. Good luck to him.

A great move for RTE also. This sets a mark for some others who IMHO are still paid far too much for what they offer on air i.e. you can be done without when your contract expires.

They need Michael O'Leary in there to do the contract renewals and bring the fees back to reality !

Advertisement