Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I don't put any stock whatsoever in those prospective listenership figures. At that time of morning, especially, people have their favourites but also flick from station-to-station to listen to what each show is discussing (which is why they're all magazine format, to grab people on the go). So, when you take that into account, I'd say it'll be a straight shootout between PK, Sean O'Rourke and Darcy (who could also massively benefit from people's listening habits being shuffled around, as he did when G Ryan died). Sorry Tubridy, but I didn't forget your name on that list.

We'll also quickly learn if Pat was responsible for his show's success or if his back room staff and RTÉ's resources were. That's another big side note that not many are talking about, but probably will once it begins.

As far as human interest topics go, I don't think we've any clue how Sean will do. They live or die on whether the host throws himself into them and has that thirst for knowledge to actually care about random things, finds what it is in an item that makes him tick personally then relates that back to the listener (that skill is almost single-handedly what has won Darcy his massive audience IMO - no matter what ****e is thrown his way he can relate it to his wife and/or kids and that resonates). That's where Tubridy suffers, he's too nerdy in the sense that he's obsessed with what he's interested in, but not at all in anything not on that list. So that feigning interest quickly became obvious under the spotlight.

But then again Pat did fine all these years while reading production notes on subjects he obviously couldn't give a toss about. So does it really matter that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

leggo wrote: »
    I don't put any stock whatsoever in those prospective listenership figures. At that time of morning, especially, people have their favourites but also flick from station-to-station to listen to what each show is discussing (which is why they're all magazine format, to grab people on the go). So, when you take that into account, I'd say it'll be a straight shootout between PK, Sean O'Rourke and Darcy (who could also massively benefit from people's listening habits being shuffled around, as he did when G Ryan died). Sorry Tubridy, but I didn't forget your name on that list.

We'll also quickly learn if Pat was responsible for his show's success or if his back room staff and RTÉ's resources were. That's another big side note that not many are talking about, but probably will once it begins.

As far as human interest topics go, I don't think we've any clue how Sean will do. They live or die on whether the host throws himself into them and has that thirst for knowledge to actually care about random things, finds what it is in an item that makes him tick personally then relates that back to the listener (that skill is almost single-handedly what has won Darcy his massive audience IMO - no matter what ****e is thrown his way he can relate it to his wife and/or kids and that resonates). That's where Tubridy suffers, he's too nerdy in the sense that he's obsessed with what he's interested in, but not at all in anything not on that list. So that feigning interest quickly became obvious under the spotlight.

But then again Pat did fine all these years while reading production notes on subjects he obviously couldn't give a toss about. So does it really matter that much?

Yes you cannot discount the importance of a good back room team of researchers and producers. Personally as Ive said I was never mad about Pat but he was clearly an intelligent and efficient broadcaster, it will be fascinating to see just how good he is on meagre resources at Newstalk in comparison with RTE.

I believe such is the blind loyalty to RTE in the over 45's in this country I think Pat will be doing very well to double Tom Dunne's current 50,000 listeners. Think about it , many people wouldnt even know where newstalk was on the dial if you asked them. Many many people turn Morning ireland on and the radio stays on Radio 1 for the entire day, my elderly aunt wouldnt ever consider changing station away from RTE, so thats what Pat will be up against.

In Sean O Rourke RTE have a ready made heavyweight replacement who is one of the most efficient and abrasive when collaring a politician but does he have the ability to the lighter stuff ? Does it matter if he doesnt? Will RTE rue the loss of Kenny ? I dont think so. RTE's dominance on the irish media landscape is so marked that losing Kenny in time will be proved to be tantamount to throwing a pebble at a whale.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

heybaby wrote: »
    In Sean O Rourke RTE have a ready made heavyweight replacement who is one of the most efficient and abrasive when collaring a politician but does he have the ability to the lighter stuff ?

I don't think Pat Kenny has ever been all that comfortable doing the lighter stuff either. He's always been much more at home when interviewing a politician on his morning programme than doing some lighweight fluff, and hopefully the departure of Pat means that we'll no longer have to put up with obscure bluegrass hillbilly Deliverance music that Pat has always seemed to revel in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just heard my first NewsTalk promo for Pat Kennys new programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

"Moving on up the dial"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭GSF

2 weeks of no activity on this thread - has the hype died already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

mike65 wrote: »
    Just heard my first NewsTalk promo for Pat Kennys new programme.

I dont like the new show, I'd prefer if he'd stayed on Radio One..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

When is it starting?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I dont like the new show, I'd prefer if he'd stayed on Radio One..

Well now... that's certainly a strong stance to take given it hasn't started yet... :pac:

Starts September 2nd fred.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

"Moving on up the dial"

PK billboard at the end of my road, can't say they aren't giving it the big sell...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

same on the main road near my gaff.

with a little over a week to go it makes sense.

Energia, the electricity and gas supplier, is in advanced talks to sponsor Pat Kenny's new radio show on Newstalk, according to sources. It is understood the sponsorship could be worth about €500,000.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/energia-seeks-a-deal-with-pat-kenny-ahead-of-entry-into-domestic-market-29525640.html

I assume that's 500,000 euro over the course of his 4 year contract.

Was Tom Dunnes show sponsored?

That's a good question. I don't know.

That's a good question. I don't know.

I imagine Dreamy Sleepy Nighty Snoozy Snooze sponsored it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Pat hosts farewell BBQ for RTE pals

Pat had a BBQ to say good bye to all his old pals.. I heard he fired Ronan Collins 20 quid to play a bit of "early lunch time music" and sing a few Joe Dolan songs..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Pat hosts farewell BBQ for RTE pals

Pat had a BBQ to say good bye to all his old pals.. I heard he fired Ronan Collins 20 quid to play a bit of "early lunch time music" and sing a few Joe Dolan songs..

Good thinking on Pat's part. He probably wanted to get rid of his guests early. Hillbilly bluegrass country shyte to finish up. (FTW)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Why is the show 10-12.30? last half hour will be just fluff I presume

Badabing wrote: »

So its meets the lunchtime programme without any recourse to MOR choons !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭touts

Badabing wrote: »

Probably just to shorten the Lunchtime news. Lunchtime news can be a good show for an hour but the last hour it really runs out of steam as they repeat interviews etc from earlier in the show for people who are now on Lunchtime. 12:00 is far too early to put on a "lunchtime" show.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Screen-Shot-2013-08-28-at-22.35.17.png

They shouldn't be giving any advertising revenue to Rté..a €1m advertising campaign to promote one programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

snubbleste wrote: »

They shouldn't be giving any advertising revenue to Rté..a €1m advertising campaign to promote one programme?

I'd be stunned if it's just going to be spent on promoting the one show, it's probably going to be spent promoting the whole station.
    Also, the €1m might be spent over a few years.

On a lighter note, are they going to spend some of that advertising revenue by advertising the Pat Kenny Show on Newstalk itself? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I would've thought they needed zero advertising.
    It was a major 'news' item across all media for a few days and therefore everyone should be aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It was a major 'news' item across all media for a few days and therefore everyone should be aware of it.

It certainly is a major news item but in two or three weeks time, something else will be dominating the media and advertising will still be needed to promote the show.

People have the memory of a goldfish, you have to keep reminding them. Even now there will be regular listeners who could well not even think to change the 'turn the dial' once they hear the tones of Sean O'Rourke. Newstalk have to keep chipping away before and when Kenny is on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

mike65 wrote: »
    Even now there will be regular listeners who could well not even think to change the 'turn the dial' once they hear the tones of Sean O'Rourke. Newstalk have to keep chipping away before and when Kenny is on air.

Yeah the R1 diehards who would barely know how to tune to another station, those are the has always had to reach if it is to make a go of it. IMO they needed a signing of the calibre of PK to get a significant number of those people to change their ways. The gamble is that a fair proportion of them will stay tuned in for lunchtime, Moncrieff, Hook to the point where NT can be seen as a serious rival to R1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭serfboard

Yeah the R1 diehards who would barely know how to tune to another station ... IMO they needed a signing of the calibre of PK to get a significant number of those people to change their ways. The gamble is that a fair proportion of them will stay tuned in for lunchtime, Moncrieff, Hook to the point where NT can be seen as a serious rival to R1.
    Speaking as an R1 diehard (;)) I could well imagine staying on from PK through lunchtime to Moncrieff.

But I'd draw the line at George Hook.

Money would be better spent driving a van around the Dublin suburbs offering to return pensioners radios.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭serfboard

GSF wrote: »
    Money would be better spent driving a van around the Dublin suburbs offering to return re-tune pensioners radios.
    FYP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I am still not believing that PK is moving to newstalk.I think this is just an elaborate hoax and what he is doing is pretending to move over for a while and then he will pretend to throw a strop or sommit (mar-ee-ah) and move back.Then he will know the competitors secrets, and have an edge on them?

Ha, what do ye all think? Am I right?

I bet I am.

No I didn't think so either:p.But its still a bit hard to believe though.

Advertisement