Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone tried hypnotism to lose weight?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

If you believe that 100% of people are able to 'simply' make this black/white decision and that be that, you are wrong.

If you believe that 100% of people can stop eating junk when given all the nutritional information they could ever care to know about, you are wrong.

If you believe that 100% of people can embark on a weightloss goal simply by deciding that they will be losing weight, and reading about how to eat, you are wrong.

If you believe that consulting a hypnotist with a weight loss goal would have them make you believe you are less hungry, that you now hate certain foods and will only eat clean meals, you are wrong.

Again, I will reiterate a very simple distinction. You could consult a hypnotist for help with the mental side of the weight loss goal. There is support available there that some people need.

Pretending that everyone is able to "just do it" is sheer lunacy.
    Who said anything about 100% of anyone doing anything?
    No one has pretended that everyone is able at al, it hasnt even been suggested.

The point is that most people do not even try, or give up at the first hurdle. For these people the magic pill or instant cure is their main goal, they will immediately turn to hypnotism, supplement scams, shakeweight or whatever fad and try to use that as a crutch. They are unable to see that they are aids and no more.

Sure hypnotism can "help" with weight loss, but so can not going to mcdonalds in the first place.
    Unfortunately we are bombarded with these types of campaigns rather than educated as to what we really need to do.
    "lose weight with hypnotism" is often seen in magazines and is nothing more than a crutch or short cut.

Crutches like this are often used too replace simple self control and education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

The point is that most people do not even try, or give up at the first hurdle.

You're absolutely right. But what good is kicking them while they're down going to do? Surely keeping a positive supportive atmosphere in a place like this is might encourage a few of those people to get up and try again?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Without being an ass or anything, it's all bunkum. Sorry.

Jerrica wrote: »
    You're absolutely right. But what good is kicking them while they're down going to do? Surely keeping a positive supportive atmosphere in a place like this is might encourage a few of those people to get up and try again?

What's the point of telling someone less than what is required to loose weight ?

Why tell them what they may want to hear rather than what they need to hear ?

I lost 20 kgs from diet change and exercise, was it hard ? you bet it was hard. Isn't that positive thing to say ???

I need to loose more.

It's funny if you read the reviews on diet pills, almost all of the reviews on amazon who said the pills worked and in the review mentioned diet change and exercise, imaging that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 marconi2.0

Ya lost 4 stone and gave up smoking through hypnosis not at the same time mind you, I studied in ucd and put on a heck of a lot of weight on in college but it did help

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Miners in Australia are well paid. If someone really wanted to be rich, they'd become a Miner. It's as easy as doing a good LC and getting a degree in Earth Sciences / Geology FFS!!

Simple right?

The relativity of the statement that we've both just made to the subjects that would benefit from them is astoundingly important.

This is the nutrition and diet forum. People here tend to know about what to eat, why to eat, how to eat etc. There is an underlying lack of empathy for the people that

1 - Don't know nor care about this
    2 - Seek this info and struggle to understand it
    3 - Seek this info, understand it but cannot remain disciplined enough in their ways to use it correctly.

That's a massive, massive section of people.

I'd thank this post twice if I could. To add to the analogy, becoming wealthy is easy, just make more and spend less money. Overeating is the cause of obesity the same way overdrinking is the cause of alcoholism.

We live in an obesogenic environment, full stop. Some are more susceptible than others, I'd highly recommend reading Stephan Guyenet's latest posts on the genetics of obesity:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ie/2013/06/the-genetics-of-obesity-part-i.html
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ie/2013/07/the-genetics-of-obesity-part-ii.html
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ie/2013/07/the-genetics-of-obesity-part-iii.html

Bottom line is that, it's not an insurmountable task to change your lifestyle but:

a. Some people have the cards stacked against them genetically
    b. Judging and belittling people is the best way to ensure they never change.

I'm trained in a technique called Motivational Interviewing, this video demonstrates how NOT to motivate people to change:

And how to motivate them:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cycnus

Hypnosis is utter nonsense.

Here's how you lose weight.

1. Consume less calories
    2. Expend more calories
    3. Both

BAM!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

cycnus wrote: »
    Hypnosis is utter nonsense.

Do explain ??

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cycnus

Its like asking someone to explain the truth about the tooth fairy.

Ok, here goes. Hypnotism is not real. It is fake. Stage hypnosis is nothing more than mass hysteria, and the unconscious desire of people to get away with craziness in public. Hypnotherapy is a means of getting a person to displace their own sense of responsibility in the hope it will lead them to behave in a certain way. In other words, taking their money to make them do something they are just doing by themselves.

There is no science or conclusive reproducible evidence to show that is has ever been done. That is not to say that you cant get someone drunk and make them do things they wouldn't normally, but that's hardly hypnosis!

Many "magicians" or illusionists use certain slight of hand or suggestion techniques to simulate hypnosis or mind reading, and others even demonstrate these to show they are fake. See Penn and Teller for example. They debunk this kind of nonsense all the time. Actually, check out their tv show called "Bull****" they debunk lots of things there.

If hypnosis is real, get a hypnotherapist, or hypno-scientist to explain the science of how it works. Then get them to hypnotise you to be more hard working, better in bed, smarter, less forgetful, and fitter. Then give me their number.

If hypnosis is real, get a hypnotherapist, or hypno-scientist to explain the science of how it works. Then get them to hypnotise you to be more hard working, better in bed, smarter, less forgetful, and fitter. Then give me their number.

I had a hypnotist who could do 4 out of 5, but I forgot where I put his number. sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

not massively relevant but I went to a hypnotist a few years back, i wanted help with being more focused at work = nothing to do with weightloss / quitting smoking / any of the 'typical' stuff. Being totally honest, he is my friend's husband and i wanted to support his new business so I attended for a few sessions.

At the end of the sessions he asked could he put my name as a reference, i said why not. A few months later I googled my name out of sheer boredom and found a link on his website quoting me claiming I had lost four stone effortlessly with his amazing techniques. I was bulling (I never mentioned weightloss to him and i certainly hadn't lost four stone). Now I KNOW all hypnotists shouldn't be tarred with his brush but it left me with a very bad taste in my mouth for the industry.

I am open to being proved wrong but I have the same attitude to weightloss that I have to quitting smoking. (I've achieved both) There is no magic pill or quick fix. If there was the whole world wouldn't be struggling with them. They both require long-term commitment to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

all you need to know is in this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMnMp-d5pKs

really just watch any of elliot hulses videos. hes been at this a long time and knows the advice beginners need for getting fit....he focuses on body-building but it applies to nearly everything in life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Its like asking someone to explain the truth about the tooth fairy..

Not really the tooth fairy is a fictitious character hypnotists are definitely real people (if I am not real I want my tax back)
    Stage hypnosis is nothing more than mass hysteria, and the unconscious desire of people to get away with craziness in public. ..
    Hysteria no , some stage hypnotists use pier pressure to get people to pre form, some use abolitionists , most use genuinely hypnotised people and some use a mix of all 3

There is no science or conclusive reproducible evidence to show that is has ever been done. ..
    You might want to tell that to the world health organisation (and the numerous research teams that think they have evidence)
    That is not to say that you cant get someone drunk and make them do things they wouldn't normally, but that's hardly hypnosis!..
    No one is claiming that getting some one drunk is hypnosis

Many "magicians" or illusionists use certain slight of hand or suggestion techniques to simulate hypnosis ,
    Slight of hand ?? Hypnosis uses the power of sugestion, if some one uses trickery to simulate a great pool shot does it mean that shot cant be done by others ?

and others even demonstrate these to show they are fake. See Penn and Teller for example. They debunk this kind of nonsense all the time. Actually, check out their tv show called "Bull****" they debunk lots of things there.
    I have seen Penn and Tellers show where they picked on a few idiots that where desprate for 5 mins on TV ask your self this why did they not use any of the top preformers in their show ?? after all they are good friends with the man who holds the record for the longest running Stage Hypnosis show in Vegas

Katgurl wrote: »
    At the end of the sessions he asked could he put my name as a reference, i said why not. A few months later I googled my name out of sheer boredom and found a link on his website quoting me claiming I had lost four stone effortlessly with his amazing techniques..

In fairness you will find dip****s like that in every industry

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bookworm66

I've only read through all these posts now and I have to say, I've found some people to be slightly degrading to others in general.
    For the record, I've gone from 12 stone to 9 stone since Christmas 2012. I was sick in January which caused me to lose a stone and after realising that I felt better being thinner, I went on to lose another two through diet and exercise.
    Me and some of the girls I work with were talking about different ways to lose weight (some have cut out carbs, others have done weight watchers), and hypnosis as a means of helping a person to lose weight came up. We decided that we'd ask online to see if others had tried it and see if it had worked for anyone. It was merely a question asked out of curiosity and not because any of us wanted to try it.
    The six of us are all within a healthy weight range and while cutting out carbs or being so sick that you can't eat might not be the healthiest ways to lose weight, none of us have an unhealthy relationship with food, or exercise for that matter.
    Thanks for all the lovely comments about being a lazy idiot though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cale

People here aren't mind readers. Perhaps a post like the above would've been better to open the thread with.

The large majority of opening posts in this forum are asking for advice and your OP comes across no different except maybe that you're indirectly asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

bookworm66 wrote: »
    I've only read through all these posts now and I have to say, I've found some people to be slightly degrading to others in general.
    For the record, I've gone from 12 stone to 9 stone since Christmas 2012. I was sick in January which caused me to lose a stone and after realising that I felt better being thinner, I went on to lose another two through diet and exercise.
    Me and some of the girls I work with were talking about different ways to lose weight (some have cut out carbs, others have done weight watchers), and hypnosis as a means of helping a person to lose weight came up. We decided that we'd ask online to see if others had tried it and see if it had worked for anyone. It was merely a question asked out of curiosity and not because any of us wanted to try it.
    The six of us are all within a healthy weight range and while cutting out carbs or being so sick that you can't eat might not be the healthiest ways to lose weight, none of us have an unhealthy relationship with food, or exercise for that matter.
    Thanks for all the lovely comments about being a lazy idiot though :)
    ha, welcome to boards, ...infact welcome to any online community.
    You will get hostile responses pretty much everywhere but when its comes to health/fitness it does seem to be the worst (check out reddit.com/r/fitness ...actually don't). I guess it comes down to a lot of people just want quick results and are not willing to try what really works.

This of course is why there are so many "quick fixes" (magic pills/fad diets/snakeoil salesmen) when it comes to losing weight, a lot of people see this as an easy way to cash in.

I was not trying to be smart or condescending in my post (well I do think hypnotism is bull...) but I said I didn't know any of your particular details. If you were 5 stone catwalk model or a 20 stone rugby player, didn't even know of you were male or female.

bookworm66 wrote: »

3 stone overall and 2 stone through diet and exercise alone and yet you still are looking for a short cut?

Why fix what ain't broke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

i like to think my comment was relatively positive

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bookworm66

3 stone overall and 2 stone through diet and exercise alone and yet you still are looking for a short cut?

Why fix what ain't broke?

If you'd read the rest, you'd have seen this was a question of curiosity and not me looking for anything other than information :)

Advertisement