Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAA Football Season Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Buckeyes off to some start, this Guiton guy can fairly air it out. I've heard and read a lot from people who think he should be no.1 there, guess he will be now if he keeps this up.

Dude has a huge arm some good video of him in high school knocking around. He looked good in the San Diego state game last week also. Underrated 3 star recruit according to most scouts. He also put on nearly 40 pounds since he left high school. Bulked up big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Paully D wrote: »
    Texas cover the spread, to the joy of a lot of people.

Hand up; changed my mind looking at the coupon taking the tex +8.5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Notre Dame, making crap teams look good for the last 25 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Notre Dame are god damn awful in all 3 facets of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

That extension for Brian Kelly is not looking like such a good idea right now....

• Advertisement

Christ, look how crap are Michigan are this week.

Akron FFS!

Mati Teo...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Wow, Manziel put up more yards against Alabama by himself than any entire team has while Saban has been in charge. That's impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Wisconsin need to teach their QB's about clock management.

Just like the 2012 Rose Bowl, where Wilson spiked the ball with 2 seconds to go and he didn't get the spike off in time, their QB messed up last night when in FG range against Arizona State.

He took a knee, but the clock kept running, and the whole team just stood around. They had no Timeouts left, and the clock ran out.

Bizarre ending.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Wisconsin need to teach their QB's about clock management.

Just like the 2012 Rose Bowl, where Wilson spiked the ball with 2 seconds to go and he didn't get the spike off in time, their QB messed up last night when in FG range against Arizona State.

He took a knee, but the clock kept running, and the whole team just stood around. They had no Timeouts left, and the clock ran out.

Bizarre ending.

Stave didn't do anything wrong? :confused:

The refs screwed Wisconsin badly. It's actually a disgrace that this was allowed to happen and the Badgers have now lost a game that they deserved to win had they made that FG.

• Advertisement

Really?

Maybe i'm getting confused with NFL rules, but even in the college game when you take a knee, the clock keeps running right?

So i'm not sure what the QB expected to happen? He got confused by the Sundevils diving on the ball, but still you don't stand around with 9 seconds left on the clock. He didn't even try and get them lined up until it was too late.

What did the officials do wrong?

EDIT: Here's the video. The official tells him that he took the knee, and to keep going.

EDIT 2: Oh right! The official has to spot the ball and he didn't.

There was 18 seconds left, 1st and 10, ball on the right hash mark. Stave's plan was to centre the ball between the hash marks by taking a knee, which he did. He then had 16 seconds to spike the ball on 2nd down (you can see him signalling for this between 11 and 7 seconds left on the clock). The ref's would have had to have placed the ball for 2nd down, so he took a step back as the ref came over, but the ASU players jumped on the ball. They thought he didn't take a knee, and just placed the ball down which would have been a fumble. The whistle was blown though so the ref's clearly ruled he took a knee. I see people on twitter were claiming he didn't kneel, but the below shows he did. It just looks awkward because his offensive lineman backed into him which forced him to get up straight away - I'm assuming he left the ball on the ground to make it clear that the play was dead/he had taken a knee.

BULzc4ICAAApJLy.jpg

Refs should either have reviewed/reset the clock or called a delay penalty on ASU. Referee clearly realises his f*ck up by backing away with 1 second left to try let him get in a play. If Stave can be blamed for anything, it's maybe leaving the ball on the ground instead of getting back up and handing it to the referee himself to respot. But that would be harsh, the referee's messed up big time and this is a fairly disgusting screw job against Wisconsin.

There was 18 seconds left, 1st and 10, ball on the right hash mark. Stave's plan was to centre the ball between the hash marks by taking a knee, which he did. He then had 16 seconds to spike the ball on 2nd down (you can see him signalling for this between 11 and 7 seconds left on the clock). The ref's would have had to have placed the ball for 2nd down, so he took a step back as the ref came over, but the ASU players jumped on the ball. They thought he didn't take a knee, and just placed the ball down which would have been a fumble. The whistle was blown though so the ref's clearly ruled he took a knee. I see people on twitter were claiming he didn't kneel, but the below shows he did. It just looks awkward because his offensive lineman backed into him which forced him to get up straight away - I'm assuming he left the ball on the ground to make it clear that the play was dead/he had taken a knee.

Refs should either have reviewed/reset the clock or called a delay penalty on ASU. Referee clearly realises his f*ck up by backing away with 1 second left to try let him get in a play. If Stave can be blamed for anything, it's maybe leaving the ball on the ground instead of getting back up and handing it to the referee himself to respot. But that would be harsh, the referee's messed up big time and this is a fairly disgusting screw job against Wisconsin.
    Yeah, I totally forgot about the respotting the ball.

Also (I may be wrong on this) but its irrelevant if his knee touches the ground, as the QB gives himself up, which is the same as taking a knee. I remember this happening before when a QB faked a kneeldown, but he was called for giving himself up anyway.

It would be a harsh delay of game Pen, as they clearly believed that it was a fumble, but the clock should have been reset, because of the delay in the official re-spotting the ball.

I think it was more an error in the confusion, then a screw job tbh, but they should have had a chance to kick the FG.

Odd that something similar happens twice in the last 2 years to the same team!

DDC1990 wrote: »
    It would be a harsh delay of game Pen, as they clearly believed that it was a fumble, but the clock should have been reset, because of the delay in the official re-spotting the ball.

Honestly I don't think it would have been. You can clearly see the ref tell him to get off the ball and he still takes more seconds off the clock by not getting up right away. The defender knew what he was doing. Looking at the umps hand signals it was clear he knew what he was doing he was doing it badly and too slow.

As a Sconnie fan I was annoyed what I saw. Shambles, Stave and Wisconsin did everything right and that ref screwed a cracking finish to the game. I hate seeing games ruined by inept refereeing especially something so blatant at the end of a game.

Actually, watch number 31 on defence for ASU at around 26 seconds. As soon as everyone starts panicking when Wisconsin start to hurry the last snap, he tries to call a time out...!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Only posting now so I'll keep it simple - roll motherf**king tide.

This is one way to get kicked out of a game. Clemson's Isaiah Battle uppercutting Nc State Jarvis Byrd

punch-2.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nice, though I'm never sure of hitting a guy with a helmet on, if you are going to this is as good a way as any!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

adrian522 wrote: »
    Nice, though I'm never sure of hitting a guy with a helmet on, if you are going to this is as good a way as any!!

Brian Cushing headbutting the guy with a helmet on, and his helmet OFF, was spectacular.

Badass Motherfcuker!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

so week 4 is upon us. Nothing to exciting in early games. expecting an upset as expect san jose can beat mini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Auburn going to Death Valley this evening is the first big test of Gus Malzahn's tenure after a solid if unspectacular home stand at Jordan-Hare.

I don't expect the (Orange) Tigers to pull off the upset but a creditable performance will do a lot for the rebuilding process. As is always the case in the SEC the schedule is never easy but having to go to Death Valley and College Station within a few weeks of each other is still drawing a very short stick.

Going for the following trebles today.

Rice +3
    Florida State -40
    N. Illinois -14

Wisconsin -22.5
    Baylor -29.5
    Arkansas State -3.5

Texas A&M -28
    Texas Tech -27
    Michigan -18.5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

my week 4 picks in full here:

no stand out picks yet but gone san jose st to upset in first tv game, then tennessee on the spread v florida. The gators have a stuttering offence but should win the vols are 1-24 v top25 teams since 08 horrible record.

Marshall up by a touchdown in the 4th quarter of their game with Virginia Tech.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Is the Stanford game available anywhere? Maybe fox stream it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Syferus wrote: »
    Auburn going to Death Valley this evening is the first big test of Gus Malzahn's tenure after a solid if unspectacular home stand at Jordan-Hare.

The lad on BT Sport/ESPN at the ad breaks keeps calling them 'O'Byrne'!
    Doing my head in!

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

Does anyone have any views on Georgia.

I really liked them at the start of the year and they are still 20/1. Clemson are a tough side to beat at home and even more so when they have real depth in there squad to match the quality now.

Any one caught any of there games and able to give me a real view. I havent got a chance to see any and yes I know they are winning as i type.

Just got a stream now

polaris68 wrote: »
    Marshall up by a touchdown in the 4th quarter of their game with Virginia Tech.

Game gone to overtime.

Go Herd!

Pissing rain and both field goals are blocked!

• Advertisement

Virginia Tech kicker misses. 3rd overtime!

Advertisement