Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aja Teehan take court case over right to home birth.

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I don't know if it is true or not but when I was pregnant and discussing water birth, I was told that because the water is body temperature the reflex to breathe is suppressed until the baby is lifted out of the water and into the cooler air. I wasn't even aware of any cases of babies drowning. Considering the amount of water births that take place, these must be a very rare occurrence.

I gave birth in a pool at home. The midwives were very experienced with water deliveries and told me that the cord continues to provide oxygen until the afterbirth is delivered. Most people deliver the head first and the body subsequently- I don't know of anyone who's had a baby cry (take its first breath) before the body has been delivered. When my first child was born (in hospital, on a bed) he didn't breathe straight away but the midwife blew on his face to stimulate the lungs- she said it was to do with the sensation of the air on the face (nose and mouth?) that got them breathing.

I didn't plan on delivering in the pool btw, I just didn't manage to get out on time and the midwives thought it was better to leave me in there. It was the third baby that they had delivered and I've always had a quick second stage. He was a massive baby but I didn't have any tearing and the delivery was much less painful than previously.

Advertisement