Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous and not so famous people that inspire you/stories that motivate you

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

People who are overweight or obese, who have gone on to lose a lot of weight and have subsequently changed their lives for the better inspire me. I suppose I admire their willpower and determination.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Chin Stroker

People who are overweight or obese, who have gone on to lose a lot of weight and have subsequently changed their lives for the better inspire me. I suppose I admire their willpower and determination.

Oprah Winfrey is one of the better examples of that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

• Advertisement

Ive read an interview with Katie Taylor where she describes her dedication to training and, equally, her faith.

She really is one of the all time great Irish inspirations

• Registered Users Posts: 72,411 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Donal Walsh

Donal Walsh

I never heard of him till now but what a brave boy

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/donal-walshs-parents-relive-final-2015004

Candie wrote: »
    My granny isn't famous but she's been through what the Chinese call 'interesting times'. She's lived through heartbreak and hardship, as well as good times, with wisdom and humour and the kind of grace I'll never have. She has an innate intelligence that still sparkles when she talks about something she's interested in, and she really is my inspirational hero.

I just talked to her on the phone so apologies for the gushiness but I really do love my gran :)

I'm going to steal your post slightly and talk about my Grandmother a little, who sadly died a few years ago when I was much younger and not old enough to truly recognize how amazing she was.

Where to begin?

When she was a young child, maybe 5 or slightly older, her parents were giving accommodation and safe haven to a man that was on the run from the Black and Tans. At that point, had they been caught, God only knows what would have happened to her and her family.
    The story goes that one day her parents were at a fair in the local town, with the man looking after my granny. Seemingly he got wind that the Black 'n' Tans were on their way to the fair, where he knew they would find some people who were wanted. My granny remembered vividly that the man got her, slung her over his shoulder as he ran to warn them about what was happening. I'm not sure how many people were saved because of this.

When she was doing her Leaving Certificate (or whatever the equivalent was back then), she scored so high in her French that she was sent to France to meet the then-President, who gave her an autographed book for her to take home. One of my aunts or uncles has that book now somewhere, but I'm not sure.

Scrabble was one of her favourite games, which she played in a highly unusual way; she would play a two person game by herself, one set of tiles for each hand. If it were the end of the Left Hand's turn, she would take out the tiles and not look at them until it was that hand's turn again. She always wrote down which hand won on each occasion in a log book, which should surely make for an interesting read.

She was incredible at making things and I have no idea how many Christmas Stockings, board games, bags, and teddies we still have to this day and are still in amazing condition.

She was probably one of the most accommodating, lovely, understanding, and intelligent people I have ever met. Any time anyone had exams, she would go to Mass and pray to St. Jude; the Patron Saint of Lost Causes - just to show her wicked sense of humour. Sometimes I'm sad that she never lived to see the Internet come to it's fruition, as she died in the early to late 90s, but with her thirst for knowledge, I know she would have absolutely loved something as simple as Wikipedia, or a smart phone.

There's probably many more stories that I just cannot remember.

Apologies for gushing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Audrey Hepburn. She donated a lot of her life to UNICEF and appeared in less films as a result.

Okay, I admit...it helps that I think she's a little ride.

I'm inspired by intelligent people who offer their point of view on important subjects (to me...) without sounding preachy. Stephen Fry sounds a lot more humble than Ricky Gervais when discussing atheism. Although I respect both, Fry inspires me more.

In sport, I like the no nonsense attitude of Roy Keane albeit he is a bit hardcore at times. United fans who gave out about his views on Nani's red card last Spring would do well to remember that his opinion would have been the same when he was playing. Irregardless of the red card, United didn't do enough to win so can only blame themselves. It's that kind of thing that makes me like him. Accept responsibility instead of whinging.

Finally, Russell Brand. He beat a heroin addiction to turn his life around and ultimately succeed in his field. I think that he is a genuinely nice guy but people would probably disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

lahalane wrote: »
    Audrey Hepburn. She donated a lot of her life to UNICEF and appeared in less films as a result.

There was a lovely interview in the Mail on Sunday with her son, who said she always put others first and never let fame go to her head, when someone asked her why she went to the shops by herself instead of having a driver she said, "I can walk." She did a lot for children having suffered herself during WWII. I can imagine how heartbreaking she would have found the Syrian situation.

Audrey was a true lady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

The story of Donal Walsh. Don't think I need to say anymore..

Advertisement