Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous and not so famous people that inspire you/stories that motivate you

Options
  • 30-07-2013 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Chin Stroker

I'll start with Michael Jordan;

[FONT=Palatino Linotype, Palatino, Serif]"I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot, and I missed. I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."[/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Joe Higgins, used to own a bar in South Dublin in the 80's, man he could drink Pints

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

My mate Locker , he hit his brother in the back , who was cycling away from us through traffic from about fifty yards with a sliotar .
    Nearly killed the little fucker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I've never been inspired nor motivated by anyone who sought credit for their achievements.

Motivating and inspiring other people to fulfill their full potential is what motivates and inspires me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson - basically took himself from the ghetto to being on the top 10 highest paid stars in Hollywood.

a selection of quotes....

Success at anything will always come down to this: focus & effort. And we control both.”

“Success isn’t always about ‘Greatness’, it’s about consistency. Consistent, hard work gains success. Greatness will come.”

“In 1995 I had $7 bucks in my pocket and knew two things: I’m broke as hell and one day I won’t be.”

Be the person that when your feet touch the floor in the morning the devil says, “aww ****.. they’re up”.

Think back 5 yrs ago. Think of where you’re at today. Think ahead 5 yrs andwhat you want to accomplish. Be Unstoppable.

“If something stands between you and your success – move it. Never be denied.”

“Success isn’t overnight. It’s when everyday you get a little better than the day before. It all adds up.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Lance Armstrong, a man who refused to let the rules and guidelines of some stupid cycling organisations stop him from realising his dream of raising millions of dollars for cancer research. What a hero.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Y'all need to get your priorities right!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ZuKF3dxCY

Lance Armstrong, a man who refused to let the rules and guidelines of some stupid cycling organisations stop him from realising his dream of raising millions of dollars for cancer research. What a hero.

His Dad , Neil , was pretty inspiring too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

John Rabe
    Carl Sagan
    Plato, Socrates, Diogenes and the other classical greats
    Bill gates
    Nietzsche

Forgetting plenty of others, but there you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Chin Stroker

Joanna Rowling was rejected by many publishers and when the first edition of the first Harry Potter novel was published the print run was only 1000. She was advised to disguise her feminine identity - hence the "JK", the K being an invention for the purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Cytherea. She squirted her way to stardom and made a generation of young men **** themselves dry at the sight of her vadge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

bumper234 wrote: »
    Y'all need to get your priorities right!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ZuKF3dxCY

Some bizzar videos linked off that video :eek:

mad muffin wrote: »
    Some bizzar videos linked off that video :eek:

This can be said of 90% of youtube video's:)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

She was advised to disguise her feminine identity - hence the "JK", the K being an invention for the purpose.

So the inspiration is, that if people don't like you for who you are, fool them into thinking you're someone else? :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Keith wrote: »

Hahaha!:D............actually I should use that quote to live my life 'cos I do and say a lot of idiotic things:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Robbed from You feel you lose thrend but this Guy!!!

My granny isn't famous but she's been through what the Chinese call 'interesting times'. She's lived through heartbreak and hardship, as well as good times, with wisdom and humour and the kind of grace I'll never have. She has an innate intelligence that still sparkles when she talks about something she's interested in, and she really is my inspirational hero.

I just talked to her on the phone so apologies for the gushiness but I really do love my gran :)

Candie wrote: »
    My granny isn't famous but she's been through what the Chinese call 'interesting times'. She's lived through heartbreak and hardship, as well as good times, with wisdom and humour and the kind of grace I'll never have. She has an innate intelligence that still sparkles when she talks about something she's interested in, and she really is my inspirational hero.

I just talked to her on the phone so apologies for the gushiness but I really do love my gran :)

:)

This is probably my favorite post on boards in the short time i have been here. Thank you for sharing :D

Winston Churchill

Inspired a nation to take on Hitler and win. He gave some speeches that still inspire today.

• Advertisement

She told you to post that , didn't she ..... she fooled ya again. :)

I'm joking...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Rocky balboa . How many times that man got knocked down and he still got back up for more . And then in his later years he got himself a licence to fight again after his wife had died .
    Everybody took the piss out of him and even his own son didn't believe in him and he did himself proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Commander Chris Hadfield.

He's a real hero, inspiring, an amazing man. He has so much videos on youtube, interviews, educational insights, and much more!

I know these videos arent that amazing, but I love his fascination with the world.

Another inspirational space speech discussing whats known as the "big picture effect". (not by chris hadfield)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Clair Patterson

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Matt from the "Where the hell is Matt" music video's. It's a very stupid thing to say is inspiring, but the guy has the perfect life as far as I'm concerned her gets to head around the world seeing some pretty cool stuff.

Here's the 2nd, 3rd and 4th video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNF_P281Uu4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlfKdbWwruY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwe-pA6TaZk

For the background, he made a back packing video and a confectionery company saw it. They asked him to make more as a promo for the chewing gum they made. So he's made 3 huge round the world trips, on an itinerary he designed, and filmed a few seconds in each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Jedward - showed the world that faking an American accent and acting like 10 year olds can get you famous.

Grayson wrote: »
    Matt from the "Where the hell is Matt" music video's.

I forget which of the Matt videos he picked but the founder of YouTube has said its his favourite YT clip of all time. They really are incredible ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭smurphy69

"Everybody, one day will die, and be forgetton. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun, **** a mundane predictable life working monday to friday with something you derive no pleasure from; just living life out till you grow old and wither away. Find a passion, form relationships, dont be afraid to get out there and **** what everyone else thinks, trust me its alot more fun that way.

Dont ever pay people out or put people down. Instead just put yourself up and let the haters do their thing. Id rather be a person thats hated on, than a person that does the hating. A wise man one said...

Haters gonna hate!" - Aziz "Zyzz" Shavershian

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Joanna Rowling was rejected by many publishers and when the first edition of the first Harry Potter novel was published the print run was only 1000. She was advised to disguise her feminine identity - hence the "JK", the K being an invention for the purpose.

The K is for Kathleen, the name of her paternal grandmother. Her own name's Joanne though, not Joanna.

Very inspiring. A lot of famous writers have experienced a lot of rejection too. Just goes to show you should persevere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

smurphy69 wrote: »
    "Everybody, one day will die, and be forgetton. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun, **** a mundane predictable life working monday to friday with something you derive no pleasure from; just living life out till you grow old and wither away. Find a passion, form relationships, dont be afraid to get out there and **** what everyone else thinks, trust me its alot more fun that way.

Dont ever pay people out or put people down. Instead just put yourself up and let the haters do their thing. Id rather be a person thats hated on, than a person that does the hating. A wise man one said...

Haters gonna hate!" - Aziz "Zyzz" Shavershian

Share this and you will have a wish come true in 10 minutes.

Advertisement