Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous and not so famous people that inspire you/stories that motivate you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭smurphy69

xii wrote: »
    Share this and you will have a wish come true in 10 minutes.

You 'mirin?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

smurphy69 wrote: »
    You 'mirin?

You 'Worcestershire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I like the story of John Harrison, who was a carpenter who solved the greatest scientific problem of his time - the longitude problem.

He had to overcome not just scientific and engineering challenges but his rivals' bitterness, jealously and major class discrimination in 18th Century Britain by society's elite.

He solved the longitude problem by developing a revolutionary series of clock designs that were astoundingly accurate. He worked at them for virtually his entire life - the last one taking about 20 years to complete.

He persevered and was successful in the end, though he was in his 80's before he was fully acknowledged for what he had achieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭smurphy69

You 'Worcestershire?

Ye brah fuaaaaark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

My mam. She found out early in life that her sister was her real mother, was forced by god fearing catholic family to give her first born away, buried my younger brother when I was 2, had 10 other kids(most including myself gave her no end of trouble when we were growing up), never got a real break in life and even her real mam would never acknowledge her. My mam went through all that and still got up every morning and fed and clothed me and my siblings as best she could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

Cytherea. She squirted her way to stardom and made a generation of young men **** themselves dry at the sight of her vadge.

Flower Tucci is better with the squirting, she corrupted my mind years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

KKkitty wrote: »
    My mam. She found out early in life that her sister was her real mother, was forced by god fearing catholic family to give her first born away, buried my younger brother when I was 2, had 10 other kids(most including myself gave her no end of trouble when we were growing up), never got a real break in life and even her real mam would never acknowledge her. My mam went through all that and still got up every morning and fed and clothed me and my siblings as best she could.

The very fact you know, acknowledge and understand all that is a great achievement on her part. There's rarely a household that can come through a bumpy ride with teenagers, let alone what else happened in your home.

But it takes that click into maturity that makes you reflect, understand, and appreciate what it took to bring you up and your siblings.

Being a mother is an understated title, it can be a battle field, and a thankless job. That is until hopefully, at the end of it all, someone recognises that it wasn't easy, but there was always love behind it all.

She has a thankful and level headed daughter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Catphish wrote: »
    The very fact you know, acknowledge and understand all that is a great achievement on her part. There's rarely a household that can come through a bumpy ride with teenagers, let alone what else happened in your home.

But it takes that click into maturity that makes you reflect, understand, and appreciate what it took to bring you up and your siblings.

Being a mother is an understated title, it can be a battle field, and a thankless job. That is until hopefully, at the end of it all, someone recognises that it wasn't easy, but there was always love behind it all.

She has a thankful and level headed daughter :)

She passed away 4 years ago and I wish I could say stuff to her but I can't. Thanks for saying that :) She was definitely stronger than she gave herself credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Chin Stroker

In the mid-1980s, George Foreman was near bankrupt, which forced him into a boxing comeback at the age of 45. Even at this age, he was able to regain his heavyweight title (an amazing feat in and of itself). This allowed him to pay off millions of dollars in debt and launch his career as an entrepreneur.

At a guess Id say his grills are in at least one in every 10 homes in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭fincollins

From a business point of view Donald Trump is one of the comeback kings. He went bankrupt in the 80s only to re-build his property empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

From a business point of view Donald Trump is one of the comeback kings. He went bankrupt in the 80s only to re-build his property empire.

DT didn't rebuild, he never lost it.

money money money money ...... money

DT didn't rebuild, he never lost it.

money money money money ...... money

The source I read said his 80s property company went bankrupt :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

In the mid-1980s, George Foreman was near bankrupt, which forced him into a boxing comeback at the age of 45. Even at this age, he was able to regain his heavyweight title (an amazing feat in and of itself). This allowed him to pay off millions of dollars in debt and launch his career as an entrepreneur.

At a guess Id say his grills are in at least one in every 10 homes in Ireland.
    Not only that but the also how the man changed, back in the Ali days he was a not a nice man to say the least and a very aggresive character, however the man now always seems to have a smile on his face and seems to be a really genuine and nice man now since he converted to Christianity, not a preacher btw but since the man found faith he has become a better person for it and thats very admirable

Will Smith played this man's life story to a tee.

A truly remarkable inspiration

Love this one

“The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.”

Vince Lombardi

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

Lance Armstrong, a man who refused to let the rules and guidelines of some stupid cycling organisations stop him from realising his dream of raising millions of dollars for cancer research. What a hero.

A man who has won the same number of Tour de France as me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Shackleton. Never got to the south pole but was nevertheless a great leader and explorer and always put the welfare of his men first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Chris Colfer - bullied throughout school to the point of being home schooled one year & grew up in a 'hick' town which he worked damn hard to get out of. He's starred in a hit TV series, won a Golden Globe, wrote & starred in his own film with another one on the way next year, featured in Time's 100 Most Influential People, written 3 novels and sold a TV pilot to Disney Channel.

And he's only 23. Makes me feel like I've done sh1t all with my life but he's an inspirational guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Joanna Rowling was rejected by many publishers and when the first edition of the first Harry Potter novel was published the print run was only 1000. She was advised to disguise her feminine identity - hence the "JK", the K being an invention for the purpose.
    I'm not the biggest Harry Potter fan but her comments and attitude towards tax-paying and the welfare state are inspiring. Despite what AH would have you think not every single mother claiming assistance from the state is a worthless scrounger fit only for sterilisation.
    I chose to remain a domiciled taxpayer for a couple of reasons. The main one was that I wanted my children to grow up where I grew up, to have proper roots in a culture as old and magnificent as Britain’s; to be citizens, with everything that implies, of a real country, not free-floating ex-pats, living in the limbo of some tax haven and associating only with the children of similarly greedy tax exiles.

A second reason, however, was that I am indebted to the British welfare state; the very one that Mr Cameron would like to replace with charity handouts. When my life hit rock bottom, that safety net, threadbare though it had become under John Major’s Government, was there to break the fall. I cannot help feeling, therefore, that it would have been contemptible to scarper for the West Indies at the first sniff of a seven-figure royalty cheque. This, if you like, is my notion of patriotism. On the available evidence, I suspect that it is Lord Ashcroft’s idea of being a mug
    Bono, you listening? Although in a way I guess it is a sad reflection on the world we live in, when the simple act of paying a little more tax in the country that supported you (and helped make your fortune) is worthy of admiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Kim Jung-il, that man really has an unbelievable amount of accomplishments to his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

Love this one

“The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.”

Vince Lombardi
    God, I hate that Rand-ian crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

Marsden wrote: »
    Kim Jung-il, that man really has an unbelievable amount of accomplishments to his name.

The man played a 38 under par round of golf that included 11 hole-in-ones.

If that's not inspirational, I don't know what is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

The man played a 38 under par round of golf that included 11 hole-in-ones.

If that's not inspirational, I don't know what is.
    I believe his father also contributed to the richness of modern culture by part-funding Tarantino's Kill Bill trilogy, inspired of course by Sergio Leone genre- changing contribution to The Western. A great bunch of Northern Koreans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Cytherea. She squirted her way to stardom and made a generation of young men **** themselves dry at the sight of her vadge.
    Flower Tucci is better with the squirting, she corrupted my mind years ago

During the heatwave, I had a dream about these two sexy ladies joining me in the back garden. Had a wonderful time AND got my lawn watered despite the impending hosepipe ban.

Was just a dream though. Woke up and the dog was pissing on my leg.

Love this

Author unknown

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Do Not Quit [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When things go wrong,
    as they sometimes will,
    When the road you're trudging
    seems all uphill,[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When the funds are low
    and the debts are high,
    And you want to smile,
    but you have to sigh[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When care is pressing
    you down a bit,
    Rest if you must,
    but don't you quit[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Life is strange,
    it will twist and turn,
    As all of us will someday learn.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And many a person turns about,
    When they might have won,
    had they stuck it out.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Don't give up, though the
    pace seems slow.
    You may succeed
    with another blow.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Often strugglers have given up,
    When you might have captured
    the victor's cup.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And you learned too late
    when the night came down,
    How close you were
    to the golden crown[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Success is failure turned inside out.
    So stick to the fight
    when you're hardest hit,[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] It's when things seem worst
    that you mustn't quit![/FONT]

• Advertisement

Advertisement