Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus - taking notes for group fares

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

cdebru wrote: »
    and someone gets on the bus with a freshly printed 50 euro note they just printed off pops it into the box and converts it into a 48:35 change ticket. Good business.
    They'd still have to travel into O'Connell Street to redeem it. Not seeing a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No Pants wrote: »
    Can those be bought with a leap card?

Not at present - they can be purchased at any Dublin Bus ticket agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

They'd still have to travel into O'Connell Street to redeem it. Not seeing a problem.

they get 48.35 for a forged note? I can see a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That sounds like a lot of expensive new infrastructure and administration, when we should in fact be moving away from cash.

I'd prefer if they spent the money on enabling contactless debit cards like they have in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Can you still pay with notes in Limerick and Galway?
    you still get change in Galway, and there's a flat 1.70 fare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

bk wrote: »
    That sounds like a lot of expensive new infrastructure and administration, when we should in fact be moving away from cash.

I'd prefer if they spent the money on enabling contactless debit cards like they have in the UK.
    Or promote the Leap card more and make sure that it's easy to use it to buy multiple tickets on buses, trains, DART and Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I'll be blunt here mate your wife shouldve had change he cant take the notes because thats the way the system works and its not his fault as he has his own timetable to stick to and cant wait for someone to get change they have to have it there or then or they cant get on.

Next time just have change or buy tickets in advance or even just stick with the train.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The driver could have obliged. I've seen drivers stuff notes into the fair box before for groups getting on.

The driver could have obliged. I've seen drivers stuff notes into the fair box before for groups getting on.
    shouldn't do they go straight into a coin counting machines which rips them to shreds and they block the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

A slight aside but I've often wondered why Dublin bus don't have some coin counting system like the baskets at the toll bridge? It's just up to the driver to visually inspect if you've in the correct fair. Throw in a Hugo bunch of coppers and it makes it pretty much impossible for the driver to count. Perhaps it would be too expensive to install an automatic coin counting machine

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can those be bought with a leap card?
    Any number of people can travel on a bus with one Leap Card, provided they have enough credit.

thunderdog wrote: »
    A slight aside but I've often wondered why Dublin bus don't have some coin counting system like the baskets at the toll bridge? It's just up to the driver to visually inspect if you've in the correct fair. Throw in a Hugo bunch of coppers and it makes it pretty much impossible for the driver to count. Perhaps it would be too expensive to install an automatic coin counting machine

they are big, unreliable and slow and of course expensive to install and maintain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

shouldn't do they go straight into a coin counting machines which rips them to shreds and they block the machine.

I don't think its a coin counting machine, just a cash box. I would have thought the fares would be counted by machine back a the depot as it would take too long for an on board machine to process coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

they are big, unreliable and slow and of course expensive to install and maintain.

I can't speak about the installation or running costs but other bus companies have them so clearly the size and speed isn't an issue unless DB have unusually awkward buses (not something I'd rule out considering some of the daft design decisions taken in the past - buses where the front compartment lights have to be off so the driver can see at night, buses where the water rained down on the doorway, buses where the condensation collected at people's elbows, buses with really narrow doors, the list is endless).

That said, I doubt there'd be much RoI for them, they'd be better off spending the money buying proper ticket machines.

Advertisement