Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus - taking notes for group fares

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

She could have got a minibus to leixlip for about €12 and what everyone else said about the notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I am solidly pro-Dublin Bus, its staff and public transport, generally.

However, there is something a bit unsatisfactory about a public transport system being unable to accept even the smallest denomination of paper currency (which wouldn't cover two cash fares from the city centre to the airport, for example).

Having said that, I appreciate that safety concerns were the initial motivation and there doesn't seem to be any solution to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Sacksian wrote: »
    I am solidly pro-Dublin Bus, its staff and public transport, generally.

However, there is something a bit unsatisfactory about a public transport system being unable to accept even the smallest denomination of paper currency (which wouldn't cover two cash fares from the city centre to the airport, for example).

Having said that, I appreciate that safety concerns were the initial motivation and there doesn't seem to be any solution to that.

Airport bus accepts notes...

They stopped taking notes to try and stop the attacks which still do happen just not as much for money.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Not letting your wife run into the Londis for change was a bit mean though imo. I can understand why drivers can not do it on a regular basis, as they all have time tables to stick to. But seeing as she had that many kids with her, I think he could have chilled out there a bit.

If I was sat on a bus and the driver let someone drop half a dozen kids on the bus and then waited for that someone to return with change I'd be quite annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

If I was sat on a bus and the driver let someone drop half a dozen kids on the bus and then waited for that someone to return with change I'd be quite annoyed.

Why? That route is so long, including a long stretch of emtpy R148, it would have no bearing on time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

n97 mini wrote: »
    Why? That route is so long, including a long stretch of emtpy R148, it would have no bearing on time.

The biggest delay on buses is dwell time. By allowing people to dump a load of kids on a bus and walk to a shop to get change will take a few minutes, then what happens if the shop doesn't have enough change? Does the driver let her walk to one down the road.

The bigger issue is that the driver is not responsible the children. If one of them ran off the bus how would the driver stop them since they are sitting in a cab with a seat belt on?

What would the bus driver do with the children if the bus caught fire while she was in the shop? We're getting into hypothetical and improbable situations here.

Back in reality, holding the bus up by 60 seconds at the start of the route would not make any noticeable difference. Even the next major stop isn't for 4.5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭Polar101

Sure it would. If you commute daily (using public transport), you know your commute takes X minutes every day and unless it's a really crappy service, it will be very close to X minutes every day. If you add extra delays like that, it will change the service quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It is a visual inspection by the driver.

• Advertisement

Polar101 wrote: »
    Sure it would. If you commute daily (using public transport), you know your commute takes X minutes every day and unless it's a really crappy service,
    66 is a very long route, and times vary hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I forgot to get a loaf bread any chance the driver will stop at the shop for me?

Delaying an entire bus of passengers for one person is ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

What would the bus driver do with the children if the bus caught fire while she was in the shop? We're getting into hypothetical and improbable situations here.

Back in reality, holding the bus up by 60 seconds at the start of the route would not make any noticeable difference. Even the next major stop isn't for 4.5km.

Who says it would be only 60 seconds? That would depend on how busy the shop was, how well staffed it was all of which the driver could not know.
    Also illegal parking is a problem at that stop in maynooth village possible the driver was already blocking the entire village, who knows.

cdebru wrote: »
    Who says it would be only 60 seconds?
    No-one did. I said a 60 second delay near the start of this route wouldn't make any noticeable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'll say it again, the bus driver isn't responsible for the children. The person who brought them to the stop is. Why should she expect a bus driver, and his passengers, look after her responsibilities while she wanders off to a shop.

A bus catching fire is completely different issue to someone trying to board with a load of kids with the incorrect payment method.

No-one did. I said a 60 second delay near the start of this route wouldn't make any noticeable difference.

But you have no idea if it would be 60 seconds or a multiple of that so it is irrelevant. Also like I said you have no idea if the driver was already causing an obstruction in the village. So it is pointless saying he could of done this or that or the other.

I'm not really interested in a petty argument. Bus driver didn't oblige or go above and beyond the call of duty in any way, but it would have been nice if he had, and a slight delay at the start of this very long route wouldn't have made a lot of difference to anyone.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    I'll say it again, the bus driver isn't responsible for the children.

Bus driver has a duty of care towards all passengers.

I'm not really interested in a petty argument. Bus driver didn't oblige or go above and beyond the call of duty in any way, but it would have been nice if he had, and a slight delay at the start of this very long route wouldn't have made a lot of difference to anyone.

Bus driver has a duty of care towards all passengers.

If they pay yes otherwise they are not passengers.
    Before you say also free passes and ticket holders also...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭GG21057

AlekSmart wrote: »
    GG,could you perhaps confirm the exact terminology which the Busdriver allegedly used to your wife ?

You say,that your wife said,the Busdriver said..."Cash is not accepted".

Perhaps an element of "Dúirt bean liom go ndúirt bean léi",at play ?

As The BAC back-office Cash Counting system is automated and utilises Coin Counting machines,any note arriving with the coinage requires a manual intervention to remove it if its not to be shredded by,or jam up, the counting machinery.

In the "old-days" such human resources were available,however the constant quest for efficiency has meant automated systems are just that....untouched by human hand.

As a Busdriver myself,I and my colleagues,deal constantly (Incredibly,given it's more expensive than the pre-paid/Leapcard alternative) in Cash.

We do not accept NOTES,which is quite a different scenario,which is why I place some importance in the clarity of EXACTLY what the Busdriver concerned said to your wife.

In addition,I note that your Wife says the Busdriver then asked,rather than told,her to leave the bus,it may appear semantic,but it does give a sense of what attitude our alleged "Dick" was displaying towards this Customer Group.

Telling a woman and 7 children to get off a Bus in this instance,is difficult to countenance,however advising her of the situation and having her make the decision to leave could be one alternative ?

As an aside,I have encountered this issue on many occasions,and my own response is usually to immediately make a P/A announcement to this effect....

"Are there any passengers in the Lower Saloon with change in coin of a €X Note for a passenger,as this may prevent further DELAY"

This usually has two results,either the Note Bearer suddenly remembers a forgotten stash of coin,or more commonly,a rush of IMF style bailers-outers keen for the journey to continue,will appear and settle the affair.

On the very rare occasion when the PA does not produce a result,I will advise the Note Bearer that if they wish to continue their journey it will be at risk of incurring a Standard Fare.

Then,as soon as I reach a location close to a shop I will ask the Note Bearer if they would try for change,whilst I wait for them...It is important however,to keep the other passengers informed as to the cause of the delay.

I am not calling shenannigans on the OP,but that "Driver told her that Cash is not accepted"quote just does'nt quite gel with me.

By far and away the best avenue to avoid this scenario is the carrying of a Credited LeapCard...always remembering that even Bus Atha Cliath averse Cardholders can still make comprehensive use of it on Luas/DART/Suburban Rail/Wexford Bus/Matthews Coach/Cork City Bus.

Anyway GG,I do hope your wife (and Kids !) has recovered from the experience,with perhaps a Call to Customer Comment @ 8734222 just to advise of this experience...who knows,you might get a brace of Family Ramblers in recompense :) ?

Thanks for the feedback. When I said that the driver said he doesn't take 'cash' I meant it in the sense of paper cash rather than coinage.
    Based on feedback here, we were in the wrong even though it'd be nice if the driver had some autonomy in this type of situation.
    I have nothing to say to Customer Comment - think it has been done quite perfectly here!

• Advertisement

Show me where that's law.

Obviously the bus can't have a mind of it's own and run you over or whatever if not your fault and then the company turn around and say we are not responsible.

That doesn't count for on a vehicle.
    Yes it is for a property such as a depot.

The company bye laws are what goes on the bus they are on the dublinbus.ie

Duty of care doesn't make you responsible for minding someones kids while they toddle of to the shop.Other wise DB would be a giant child minding service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

As fares continue to rise, DB should really do something about the use of notes on their buses. Or really push the Leap card. Two adults from Swords to the City Centre already costs north of €5. Bringing a bunch of kids and being expected to bring change to pay for them all is just daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No Pants wrote: »
    As fares continue to rise, DB should really do something about the use of notes on their buses. Or really push the Leap card. Two adults from Swords to the City Centre already costs north of €5. Bringing a bunch of kids and being expected to bring change to pay for them all is just daft.

That's where the family ticket comes in:
    http://dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/Family-Tickets/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

lxflyer wrote: »
    Can those be bought with a leap card?

• Advertisement

and someone gets on the bus with a freshly printed 50 euro note they just printed off pops it into the box and converts it into a 48:35 change ticket. Good business.

Advertisement