Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Fincher's "Gone Girl"

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Are spoilers still needed for this? There's nothing in the thread title but this is out ages now.... spoilers ahead....

Saw this before Christmas. Loved it. It was a great Saturday night thriller/mystery. The reveal of what happened to Amy was really well done I thought and shifted the movie quite dramatically. The later twist though (staging it all as the ex kidnapping her) was very obvious the moment he mentioned the cameras and made it clear he was holding her there. It was still great viewing though and the direction & music throughout really kept the tension going.

Affleck was excellent as the apathetic husband Nick. It was really engaging and you're just willing him to stop being his own worst enemy. That this apathy revealing itself to the public was part of Amy's plan too made it all the better.

Pike was a fantastic psycho, really unnerving and you felt genuinely afraid for any man that falls into her web. I can't remember the last female antagonist that chilled me like she did. Nick locking the door at the end, mirroring her lies in the diary was a perfect ending to the movie... the horror for Nick goes on and will live on through their child. That is a true living hell.
    Also there were some very lazy clangers in it too that irked me and ate away at the plausibility of it,
    one being when Amy arrived back covered from head to toe in blood after a clearly brutally violent attack and yet her hair was immaculate, as if she'd stopped for a wash and blow dry on the way, no blood in it, not one strand out of place, yet no one questioned it,it was even broadcast on tv. If she was smart enough to go to the lengths she did she'd surely have messed up her hair and someone would have noticed it was perfect and been very suss of her if she turned up as she did.

But that wasn't staged. That's how she looked after he killed him, which was part of her story to the cops. It didn't look immaculate, it was a bit messed up but we saw during the murder that blood didn't splatter on her face so there's no real reason that she would feel the need to bloody it up a bit. Of all the things that are suspect in her story, she did not make up where the blood splashed on her.
    Also
    him getting straight into the shower naked with her... what the hell like ?

He was afraid of her and what she was capable of. It was the only way she was going to give him an answer as she wanted to be sure it was not recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Just watched the movie last night... excellent movie.. really enjoyed it...
    Some smart casting, Even Emily Ratajkowski seems to be a decent actress... and not just hot..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Bacchus wrote: »
    Are spoilers still needed for this? There's nothing in the thread title but this is out ages now.... spoilers ahead....

Saw this before Christmas. Loved it. It was a great Saturday night thriller/mystery. The reveal of what happened to Amy was really well done I thought and shifted the movie quite dramatically. The later twist though (staging it all as the ex kidnapping her) was very obvious the moment he mentioned the cameras and made it clear he was holding her there. It was still great viewing though and the direction & music throughout really kept the tension going.
    Affleck was excellent as the apathetic husband Nick. It was really engaging and you're just willing him to stop being his own worst enemy. That this apathy revealing itself to the public was part of Amy's plan too made it all the better.

Pike was a fantastic psycho, really unnerving and you felt genuinely afraid for any man that falls into her web. I can't remember the last female antagonist that chilled me like she did. Nick locking the door at the end, mirroring her lies in the diary was a perfect ending to the movie... the horror for Nick goes on and will live on through their child. That is a true living hell.

When the police are questioning her in the hospital, she's asked about the weapon by the female police officer and she feigns weakness "Oh I think I'm fading again..." I actually shouted fcuk off in the cinema pretty viscerally (not too loud tho). I had completely forgotten I was surrounded by friends, but it got a big laugh. I've never wanted a film character to be served justice so badly
    The whole montage had me smiling.

I love films like this that can't really be defined too narrowly. It does feel like the kind of adult film that Stanley Kubrick would have made and have everyone leaving the cinema uncomfortable, rattled and awed, and that is the greatest compliment I can give Fincher and his team. It tears into the hypocrisy of modern society, the utterly ludicrous TV and media coverage of the western world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

That press conference scene near the beginning of the movie was comic genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

tumblr_niybdjBgM11qzpabso1_540.png
    tumblr_niybdjBgM11qzpabso2_540.png
    tumblr_niybdjBgM11qzpabso3_540.png
    tumblr_niybdjBgM11qzpabso4_540.png
    tumblr_niybdjBgM11qzpabso5_540.png
    tumblr_niybdjBgM11qzpabso7_540.png

Really want to listen to to the commentary now. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I bought the blu ray today, its an 18. Also comes with an amazing amy book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

e_e wrote: »

Really want to listen to to the commentary now. :D

Fincher probably gives the best DVD commentaries Ive heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Watched the film last night.Really excellent film and on the same level as the book. Sometimes I am worried that watching a film version of a book I love might spoil it but this lived up to the book and they got it absolutely spot on.The casting of all the major characters was excellent and I loved the really faded and dull colour scheme that was used in film.

This is the first time I've seen either Tyler Perry or Neil Patrick Harris in a film (except for his role as Bart Simpson in Blood on the Blackboard) and they were both excellent in it.Harris is extremely creepy as Desi.

Advertisement