Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Fincher's "Gone Girl"

Options
  • 26-07-2013 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,243 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/jul/25/rosamund-pike-gone-girl-david-fincher-ben-affleck

From one of the biggest selling books of the year, David Fincher is directing Gillian Flynn's, to me deeply flawed, novel.

Hopefully he is not too shy with the scissors in adapting it.

Starring the pretty (vacant) Rosmund Pike and the whatever Ben Affleck.

Pity there ain't gonna be an adaptation of "The Girl who played with fire" by the looks of things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,818 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Always looking forward to something from Fincher..
    Birneybau wrote: »
    Starring the pretty (vacant) Rosmund Pike .
    ..but who keeps giving her work? She's awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Do you not think her constant wide-eyed startled look is endearing? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,586 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Claire Danes, Rachel McAdams or Emily Blunt would be my choices for Amy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Basq wrote: »
    Always looking forward to something from Fincher..

..but who keeps giving her work? She's awful!

She is, but I'm reading the book at the moment and when I heard, Ben Afleck and Rosmund Pike were to be cast I went ugh... .
    then I got a bit further into the book and thought PERFECT!
    My primary description of the two main characters in the book would be, a jock looking douche with a desperate insecure need for people to like him who is bitter at the failure of his once glittering career and now must readjust, and his superficially pretty and friendly wife who is all surface and in fact quite false and cold.

Here I think we have a case where both actors negatives become a positive for the film.

conorhal wrote: »
    She is, but I'm reading the book at the moment and when I heard, Ben Afleck and Rosmund Pike were to be cast I went ugh... .
    then I got a bit further into the book and thought PERFECT!
    My primary description of the two main characters in the book would be, a jock looking douche with a desperate insecure need for people to like him who is bitter at the failure of his once glittering career and now must readjust, and his superficially pretty and friendly wife who is all surface and in fact quite false and cold.

Here I think we have a case where both actors negatives become a positive for the film.

You do realise that Affleck's career, has in recent years gone from strength to strength. At this moment it time he's one of the most celebrated filmmakers in Hollywood and recently starred in a Terrence Malick film, hardly the pedigree of a washed up failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

conorhal wrote: »
    ... superficially pretty and friendly wife who is all surface and in fact quite false and cold.

January Jones not available, then?

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 rossy1044

The book falls apart spectacularly in the second half. It will be interesting to see can the movie avoid doing the same.

You do realise that Affleck's career, has in recent years gone from strength to strength. At this moment it time he's one of the most celebrated filmmakers in Hollywood and recently starred in a Terrence Malick film, hardly the pedigree of a washed up failure.

Well, yeah, but I'm only half way through the book. My point being (as it is in the book), perceptions and expectctations change.......

January Jones not available, then?

She would actually be a pretty good choice for that character! These are not likeable people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Loved the book but I worry about the Rosamund Pike casting. She was distractingly bad in Jack Reacher.

When I read the book I kept picturing Amy Adams, who I feel could
    play the dual role of dream girl (Enchanted) and borderline crazy (her punch-ups in The Fighter).

Apparently Amy Adams will star in Dark Places, an adaptation of an earlier book from the same author. Close enough I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

rossy1044 wrote: »
    The book falls apart spectacularly in the second half. It will be interesting to see can the movie avoid doing the same.

The author is writing the screenplay so I would expect minimal changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Chareth Cutestory

Gillian Flynn is writing the screenplay? Oh dear, I was hoping that maybe something decent could be made of this book. It's an utterly ludicrous and infuriating story, completely falls apart in the second half. And while the book still had the 'page turner' aspect I can't really see how this is going to be carried over to the film. The characters are complete as*holes. While a film obviously doesn't have to be full of likeable, cuddly, and endearing characters to be enjoyable, I just can't picture myself sitting through 90+ minutes of their dickery!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,586 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tyler Perry and Neil Patrick Harris have joined the cast also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Trent Reznor scoring the movie.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/trent_reznor

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vepyewwo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

Love all things David Fincher but I dunno about that song for the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

That shot of Rosamund Pike at the end reminds me of Night of the Hunter:

night-of-the-hunter-charles-laughton.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

brevity wrote: »
    Love all things David Fincher but I dunno about that song for the trailer.

I think the song is fitting. The song lyric "She may be the reason I survive" just as Affleck is posing by a poster of his missing wife and has a smile on his face.(at 49 seconds)

Zodiac is still top dog though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I would have preferred the Elvis Costello version but otherwise the song is perfect. You can always tell what marketing materials Fincher has had a hand in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Never watch trailers because I prefer seeing a film cold, but my oh just watched it there and it seems to give away a massive spoiler (the underwater shot). I'll be furious if it is an actual spoiler as I've really been looking forward to seeing this :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ben Affleck....... "Gone Girl".
    Is this the follow up to "Gone baby gone".....?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 rossy1044

mikom wrote: »

No but there is book sequel to Gone Baby Gone called Moonlght Mile... Its not great to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Actually looking forward to this! One thing Fincher does right is crime movies, and this strikes me from the trailer to be in the vein of Zodiac and Se7en, which are his best movies, haven't read the book but apparently he has changed the third act, so its different ending from the book!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Second trailer online now. Haven't read the book myself but seems fairly spoilerish so you may want to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,426 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have never read the book and this is the first trailer I have seen for the movie.

For some reason I think I already know the ending and outcome of the movie I'm not sure if the trailer gives away to much or the story just seems very weak and obvious.

That alone kind of puts me off this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I have never read the book and this is the first trailer I have seen for the movie.

For some reason I think I already know the ending and outcome of the movie I'm not sure if the trailer gives away to much or the story just seems very weak and obvious.

That alone kind of puts me off this.

It definitely does seem pretty spoiler heavy to me (as another that hasn't read the book), I've put a warning in the post just in case others want to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

One of the themes of the book is that not everything is what it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Looking forward to this! Loved the book, and the trailers seem good!

The second one isn't actually that bad for spoilers at all, if they will be true to the book. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

mikom wrote: »

That's originally what I thought when I first heard about it.

Futura font and Trent Reznor, couldn't be anyone but Fincher :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Oh man this movie looks great oh wait rosamund Pike's in it I'm out.

Advertisement