Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Fincher's "Gone Girl"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

conorhal wrote: »
    Well, yeah, but I'm only half way through the book. My point being (as it is in the book), perceptions and expectctations change.......

Yeah right!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Saw the movie almost two weeks ago, and loved it so much that I had to read the book.
    I think the movie is better than the book, which is a terrific read in itself. It tightens up a lot of the bits that drag without losing too much characterisation. (Oh, apart from Nick's father - it's not giving anything away to say that the book explores more fully the parallels between Nick and the man he hates.)
    I'm glad I saw the movie first, though. It was such a trip not knowing how it would end, even if it veered into gothic camp with a plot that didn't stand up to too much scrutiny by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭Cartman78

For anyone struggling a bit (like myself) to process this one, I'd recommend listening to the recent episodes of either Filmspotting or /Filmcast podcasts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Really enjoyed this one.
    although it was obvious she was setting him up. I wondered about the original motivation for her, turning sour on her exs

more to follow not sure I have applied spoiler tags properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw it at the weekend and I thought it was only ok. Given that it was a david fincher film it was a bit disappointing. Way too many false endings, it should've ended 20 minutes before it actually did.
    In comparison to Zodiac and The girl with the dragon tatoo, this is a step backwards for Fincher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I thought it was better than TGWTDT but nowhere near as good as Zodiac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

This was a masterpiece. Dark, funny, and had much to say like Fight Club, about society, media witchhunts, the ills of feminism.

Thank jeebus we get a films like this from someone like Fincher every so often to remind us someone, somewhere will never stopping making classics no matter what the era. He does

His direction and the cinematography is hnnnnnngggg! He seems what to know what to do/show and exactly what not to do/show

Tyler Perry was very, very good, I don't think that's been mentioned yet. I was thinking the whole time I wondered how much pressure and takes Fincher put Affleck under because he's frankly unreal (destroys the notion that he was ever a bad actor), as is everybody. Christ even the font for the subtitle cards and credits made me nod.

And there is one hell of an iconic performance here that will be remembered for the future.

And if it wasn't the last showing, I would have went back straight back to watch it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'm looking forward to watching this.

I loved the book as well as Flynn's other 2 books and I thought both main characters were hateful fcukers.

Flynn has been accused of misogyny for this and her other books
    but if anything she's exactly the opposite
    .As
    she portrays women as having the potential to be just as evil as men whereas in most films and books they're generally portrayed as helpless innocent victims
    I didn't see the twist coming at all and

I thought the plot overall was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Very atmospheric, as you'd expect from Fincher, with some performances I can't quite make my mind up about, but overall I thought it was just a bit too silly for me to take it seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭BrokenHero

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Very atmospheric, as you'd expect from Fincher, with some performances I can't quite make my mind up about, but overall I thought it was just a bit too silly for me to take it seriously.

Indeed and if evidence of that were needed, it's when we see Pike's character
    slit her ex's throat in bed
    and the audience laughs. Seen it twice now and the audience at both found that bit funny.

The biggest shock horror gasp (again by both audiences) was when Affleck pushed Pike's head up against the bedroom partition and we hear a thud. This shows us how overall the violence in this film was not being taken all that serious and I think that is the film's ultimate failing: some of the laughs were looked for in the wrong places, thereby undermining some of the character's actions.

A good film, but just to many cheap outs taken to make it anywhere near the masterpiece some have suggested it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The film plays mainly as black comedy. It’s not meant to be taken seriously anymore than Fight Club was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

There are certainly dark comic moments in the movie but I wouldn't say it plays mainly as a black comedy. It's a thriller with some social commentary thrown in for good measure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭BrokenHero

The film plays mainly as black comedy. It's not meant to be taken seriously anymore than Fight Club was.

Fight Club was seamless in it's darkly comic theme. This film however, jumps from being as serious a thriller as Fatal Attraction was, to suddenly having violent scenes which are darkly comedic. This takes the viewer right out of the film, as it's far too disjointed. Not that I am of the opinion that comedic moments can't have a place in a violent thriller. Of course they can. Sea of Love is a good example of that but I don't think you can have both serious thriller aspects to a film and then show the violence in darkly comic fashion.

I think, had the tone of the violent scenes been somewhat straighter, then it would have been a far better film for me. As it was though, they just undermined the rest of the film as a knock on effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

BrokenHero wrote: »
    Indeed and if evidence of that were needed, it's when we see Pike's character slit her ex's throat in bed and the audience laughs. Seen it twice now and the audience at both found that bit funny.

I'm just back from watching it and I didn't notice that at all. I thought that scene was intensely and graphically shot and if I was in a room full of people who find **** like that funny I certainly wouldn't look sideways at anyone on the way out! I think if anything your mistaking people finding it funny for nervous laughter.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I'm just back from watching it and I didn't notice that at all. I thought that scene was intensely and graphically shot and if I was in a room full of people who find **** like that funny I certainly wouldn't look sideways at anyone on the way out! I think if anything your mistaking people finding it funny for nervous laughter.

There was an audible gasp when I saw it

I finally got to see this last night, as someone who is a Fincher fan and hadn't read the book (same way I went to see Girl With The Dragon Tattoo) and I came away disappointed.

Technically I thought it was a good film and I liked the performances from Affleck and Pike and the supporting cast, but the premise and story just left me cold. If one was to start pulling at strings in Amy's story, it would unravel in no time at all and I felt the characters who were strong and smart at the beginning of the movie had grown 'dumber' (for want of a better word) by the end to fit the resolution/conclusion.

The conclusion definitely killed the movie for me. I am not usually a viewer who needs everything wrapped up in a box of closure, but after what transpired in the previous 2.5 hours I felt a much more definite resolution was needed.

The only technical aspect that I feel was lacking was the score. For me, this was the least effective work Reznor and Ross have done with Fincher so far.

All the above said, the movie did feature some great moments and ideas. I loved the relationship themes explored in the movie and the look at how we all wear different masks in different situations in our lives and present ourselves as someone we totally aren't more often than not; the person who we ideally see ourselves in our minds rather than the person we actually are.

I could write lots more on my thoughts on Gone Girl, but I think I'm gonna just leave it a few months and then give it a 2nd watch.

Disappointed overall, but will give it another shot in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just back and really liked it. The ending is a bit unusual for an american film.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I thought this was awful. Absolutely all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just saw this last night in the cinema. Good film but I thought it would never end. I honestly had no idea what time it was when the film was over. I don't know if it was because I was engrossed in the film or not. It does suck you in though. Worth a look alright 8/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I thought it was brilliant even though the ending could've been a bit better.

Just as I realized what was going on, I remember thinking to myself that I'm watching a
    modern day Single White Female, Basic Instinct or Fatal Attraction type of movie
    . Probably didn't spoilers:)

The silence in the cinema after it ended was strange, the audience had that wtf did I just witness look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Went to the cinema last night to finally catch this. I haven't read the book but Fincher is a very talented director and so I went with high expectations.

A lot of people commenting on the running time but I never found it dragged at any point, pacing was spot on imo. There was clever commentary on the reactionary cheap media we live with these days, similar to Cronenberg's commentary on the Hollywood dream in Maps to the Stars, both wrapped up in dark comedy. There was a creepy and uncomfortable honesty to the screenplay, held together by tight direction and some top grade acting from Affleck and Pike. In the hands of a less gifted Director it could have descended in to farce.

All in all a tight engaging thriller but not Fincher's best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

'Octopus and scrabble?'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Heckler

Too long. Waiting for it to end after an hour and a half. Absolutely no way her story would stand up to any police scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Man, I was really loving this film until the ludicrous plotholes at the end took me right out of it. Inspector Clouseau could have worked out that
    Amy's story was utter BS.

I don't mind some suspension of disbelief, if the film handles it well, but it was as if no attempt whatsoever was made to credit the viewer with any intelligence. I hate that.

Also, not sure where the black comedy aspect comes into it. It was a thriller, with some moments of satirical social commentary thrown in for good measure, not a satire with a bit of murder thrown in (see To Die For).

I really wanted to love this film and for a while, I did. That last 20 minutes, though.... damn!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The utter ridiculousness of her story was the point Fincher was making. Up to that point she was america's sweetheart, victim of a brutal husband, who himself was almost convicted by media. Once she surfaces with an incredible story - somewhat backed up by a crazy stalker, text-book rape signs and in-house video footage that she staged - the FBI/Police were going to run a mile from this.

Bad enough being seen as getting the initial investigation wrong - potentially getting wrapped up in a media frenzy by accusing the wife and maybe getting that wrong as well would, in real-life, be too much for the FBI.

I was hoping for a clever ending that would reveal all to the police but it never came and that was initially hard to swallow, but the more I think about the story, the more the ending was perfect. Two people who were trapped in a marriage took two separate routes to try and escape, but all they managed to do was get further trapped with a massive spotlight shining directly on them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I loved it, right up until the ending. I just didn't want her to get away with it. But even more than that, if it was me in that situation at the end, no way would I sleep in the same house as that woman for one night, never mind weeks. I don't care that he slept in a locked room with his pussy cat, she was a crazy murderer. Who could feel safe around her, eat the food she cooks for you, etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Brilliantly acted with a unique and interesting story. Pike in particular deserves all the plaudits she gets. Affleck also deserves credit for playing an unbelievable dick who you can't help but feel sorry for.

I had a feeling though that the film would have people in uproar over the portrayal of women and sure enough that's what I found when I Googled it. What a shame that Flynn's brilliant work has to be tainted by such hysteria over what is basically a black comedy. It's particularly amazing given Dunne's sister and the detective were both positive portrayals of women yet that seems lost in the quest for people to be offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Hyzepher wrote: »
    The utter ridiculousness of her story was the point Fincher was making. Up to that point she was america's sweetheart, victim of a brutal husband, who himself was almost convicted by media. Once she surfaces with an incredible story - somewhat backed up by a crazy stalker, text-book rape signs and in-house video footage that she staged - the FBI/Police were going to run a mile from this.

Bad enough being seen as getting the initial investigation wrong - potentially getting wrapped up in a media frenzy by accusing the wife and maybe getting that wrong as well would, in real-life, be too much for the FBI.

I was hoping for a clever ending that would reveal all to the police but it never came and that was initially hard to swallow, but the more I think about the story, the more the ending was perfect. Two people who were trapped in a marriage took two separate routes to try and escape, but all they managed to do was get further trapped with a massive spotlight shining directly on them

Exactly, there can't be a typical Hollywood ending because that means Afflecks character who was a horrible bastard would have won. The only person I felt sorry for was
    the guy she accused of raping her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I wasn't a fan of it. I hadn't read the book but I felt that after the reveal of what had happened to Amy it started to feel silly and I was waiting for it to wrap up. I found the plot line wasn't clever enough too, you could've poked several holes in the story. It was a real "suspend your disbelief" one for me. From the point when
    she was robbed in the motel I had a sneaking suspicion what was coming next and I wondered if it would end up with poor Dougie Howser dead
    What I did like was the atmosphere of the film and I thought her performance was pretty good.

Also there were some very lazy clangers in it too that irked me and ate away at the plausibility of it,
    one being when Amy arrived back covered from head to toe in blood after a clearly brutally violent attack and yet her hair was immaculate, as if she'd stopped for a wash and blow dry on the way, no blood in it, not one strand out of place, yet no one questioned it,it was even broadcast on tv. If she was smart enough to go to the lengths she did she'd surely have messed up her hair and someone would have noticed it was perfect and been very suss of her if she turned up as she did.

Also
    him getting straight into the shower naked with her... what the hell like ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Absolutely ingrossed by it! Did feel a little let down by the ending, but I guess the sequel will clear all that up.

Advertisement