Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parks And Recreation - Season 6 [*Spoilers*]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

There'll probably be a final 13-episode season, and I hope Leslie leaves the awful soul-sucking dump that is Pawnee very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

"Thats a load bearing t-rex" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

just caught up with the last 5 episodes, ron has been particularly legendary the last few episodes, i loved how ann cried when he simply said goodbye to her, and his hate of everything is hilarious, and when he was playing with his son and leslie heard him and asked what was that :D:D:D

leslie will probably run for state senate next season, get in at the end, and then have an 8th and final season where leslie rectifies all of Pawnees problems, and then off to washington she goes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

We were already pretty certain, but now the show has officially been renewed for Season 7!!!

tumblr_n18crbyFY51rrtza4o1_r1_500.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The last couple of episodes have been pretty great, particularly the most recent, with the return of
    Eagleton Ron (or as Pawnee Ron greeted him, "motherf*cker").
    :D

Andy's childishness in the pharmacy was hilarious, as were the scenes involving
    Eagleton Ron
    as he helped Ben during the latters freakout; Adam Scott doesn't get enough praise sometimes, as his neurotic twitchiness can lead to some great material, especially when paired with someone so different in persona like Ron.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I really think Adam Scott is great. I think his expressions to the camera really make the show at times (during all the 'Lil Sebastian stuff his looks to camera were especially brilliant)... I also love all his geeking out - the Game of Thrones replica throne that Leslie got Ben for his anniversary and the look on Adam Scott's face during that moment was priceless. Scott himself is a huge fanboy in general, so it's nice that he gets to live out some cool geeky stuff through Ben.

With Nick Offerman, Chris Pratt, Aubrey Plaza and Aziz Ansari there it's easy to overlook the rest of them at times, but the entire cast are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The cast are all great, though have never been a Donna fan if I'm perfectly honest.

Chris Pratt and Adam Scott have been particularly good this season!

But while we're on the subject - can we have a moment to appreciate Craig? The guy although one-dimensional (a lá Jean-Ralphio) is hilarious!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Basq wrote: »
    The cast are all great, though have never been a Donna fan if I'm perfectly honest.

Chris Pratt and Adam Scott have been particularly good this season!

But while we're on the subject - can we have a moment to appreciate Craig? The guy although one-dimensional (a lá Jean-Ralphio) is hilarious!

Absolutely, his outbursts frequently make for hilarious punctuations in scenes. There's little question he's a 'small doses' character, and if the show used him any more than they currently are, Craig would qualify as a nominee for most annoying person on TV; at the moment though the levels are just right (mind you, going by places such as AV Club, Craig's already super-unpopular with fans as it stands...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i already hate him just from watching a minute of that clip

i was pondering giving season 6 another chance since I dropped it very early in but eh.... no, not after that

i already hate him just from watching a minute of that clip

i was pondering giving season 6 another chance since I dropped it very early in but eh.... no, not after that

Craig's only a passing character, he's usually absent from 90% of stories and is used quite sparingly; the most recent episode was the most he has been in the show and even that was the tertiary plotline. I wouldn't pass on an entire series based on a background character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭squonk

Even if he's a passing charcrer I wish they'd just pass on Craig's character altogether. His stupid melodramatic outbursts are pointless and terribly annoying. He breaks the flow of what's otherwise an excellent show. I feel like bludgeoning him to death every time he opens his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

squonk wrote: »
    Even if he's a passing charcrer I wish they'd just pass on Craig's character altogether. His stupid melodramatic outbursts are pointless and terribly annoying. He breaks the flow of what's otherwise an excellent show. I feel like bludgeoning him to death every time he opens his mouth.

Which is exactly something Craig would say!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Loved Bo Burnhams cameo in latest episode

Also:
    anyone else see name of Pregnancy tests? "Womb There It Is"- had me in tears
    :D:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

In a lesser show, Ben telling Leslie how much he wants to start a family while she sits there, waiting to tell him she is pregnant would have been nauseatingly twee. But in P&R it was just lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Thought that was an excellent episode. Good pairing of the characters I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Great episode.

Ron's facial expressions when Eagleton Ron was giving advice to Ben were hilarious and not to forget: "I do not drink alcohol on that range of the colour spectrum!" :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Good episode this week, but whatever reason I found the prom episode last week the single funniest episode of Parks & Rec in a season or two. Was in stitches frequently throughout - April's 'mom', The Expendables 2 gag, Andy's 'coronation' speech, the return of
    Greg Pikitis
    , Ron in his most determined anti-government mode. Solid gold stuff. A lot of Parks & Rec has been consistently amusing rather than riotously funny over the last series or two, but that episode reminded me of the show at its absolute peak.

I was happy that Leslie wasn't in super-crazy mode for an episode this week - definitely think they need to tone down her completely irrational side more often, if only to make the storylines feel fresher.

So this weeks was another episode with some quality Ben freakouts :) And like last weeks coda, what could have been saccharine on another show, the revelation about the pregnancy was sweet and touching; you really can't manufacture chemistry & Poehler / Scott have it in spades.

I also liked the Donna / Ron combination, don't think that was tried in the past but it worked well, especially in highlighting just how much Ron has changed. I think that's the inherent difference between something like Parks & Rec and more mainstream material such as Modern Family; the latter is hamstrung by its dogged adherence to the sitcom formula and in 6 seasons there has been almost zero character / plot development. Yet across the same length of time, Parks & Rec has showed intelligent, subtle changes in the various characters, but without diluting their core qualities. Ron now cares, displays frequent empathy and a fondness for his friends, but he's still the libertarian hardcase he always was.

Mind you, smart writing aside, I still guffawed like a drain at Chris Pratts beautifully executed pratfall after blabbing about his neighbours presence in witness protection :D I really hope he gets to channel that timing in Guardians of the Galaxy and it's not a completely straight role.

Also, 'work proximity associate' - I now have a better term to describe my co-workers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

A really fantastic season finale. There is no show on TV that has as good a cast of supporting characters as Parks and Rec. Looking forward to season seven!

The whole Michelle Obama thing seemed forced though. However the Decemberists singing "Crane Wife" was the highlight for me - that song has always had a soft spot in my heart!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

After sort of losing interest in the show this season, that finale has me excited for season 7.
    Was really good, probably one of my favourite episodes ever. Time jump at the end was not expected, but I'm glad they did it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well holy **** Parks & Recreations, just as I think you might be running on autopilot you go and pull that. Around the midseason of this series I was wondering whether the show had run out of steam and was best retired while we were still on its side. The triplet plot seemed a bit desperate and overfamiliar, but boy they sidestepped it elegantly. But now I'm seriously amped for more Parks next year, and maybe even beyond. Hopefully the changes made in this episode will mark a new and exciting era for the show - the status quo has been well and truly rocked, so here's to season seven!

But obviously while that ending was the highlight of the episode, it was also damn funny. Michelle Obama's appearance was totally justified by Poehler's go for broke comic reaction. Jean Ralphio got his best lines in a year or two (and that dance with Joan). And a pitch perfect performance of Bye Bye L'il Sebastian, which was equal parts moving and hilarious (the hologram!). Plus The Decemberists and
    Jon Hamm
    - the latter having what may well be the perfect cameo.

Apparently there's a Jamm and Tammy hooking up subplot that was excised, so well worth keeping an eye out for an extended version of the episode.

Yeah brilliant finale, they've really breathed new life into the show for next season.

Highlights:
    1) Larry now being Terry in the final scene
    2) The 'Lil Sebastian hologram and Ben's reaction to it
    3) Duke Silver goes public
    4) Ben geeking out at the side of the stage while Letters To Cleo were playing
    5) April always been there for Andy to remind him of places where pizza are

Wow, really looking forward to seeing this going by reactions so far (I know somethings noteworthy when johnny_ultimate posts in the television forum ;)), with Community and Archer finished for another year, and Modern Family having completely fallen off a cliff, I look forward to my remaining clockwork comedic staple :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Speaking of falling off a cliff, Season 5 of Archer was the single worst drop off in quality of a show in recent memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The li'l Sebastian song was top notch but everything about the hologram and Ben's reaction was the best thing this series. Really by far and away the best comedy on television at present.

Really by far and away the best comedy on television at present.

Since Louie is back next month - a show that transcends mere comedy to the point where it might just be the bravest and most important show on television - not quite :)

Although yes Parks and Rec is amazing nonetheless. It shows what happens when comedy puts characters first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Wouldn't have Louie up there myself at the top because it doesn't really make me laugh as much as it keeps me gripped as a viewer. As you said yourself it absolute transcends comedy and offers something very different. Best example of that for me is
    him going for the Leno spot

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Fantastic series finale! Can't wait for next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I always knew the cones of Dunshire had potential!

Advertisement