Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadowrun Returns

Options
  • 24-07-2013 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

http://store.steampowered.com/app/234650/

Releasing tomorrow, looking good if you're a fan of turn based tactical rpg's.

Loving the look of it, seems like it may be fun plus the inclusion of an editor might add a ton of user content down the line.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Is it the same as the old one only more pretty or a totally new game :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,068 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

calex71 wrote: »
    Is it the same as the old one only more pretty or a totally new game :confused:

Do you mean the action shooter thing? Then, no it's not like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Looks to be very much like the original two Fallout games. This is a Good Thing. A very Good Thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

Pre-ordered today. Cant freakin' wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Some gameplay videos in the other thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77947330

If this is anything like the original, it might warrant my first Steam purchase in years!

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    Do you mean the action shooter thing? Then, no it's not like that.

No meant like the one on snes/mega drive

No meant like the one on snes/mega drive

Was the Mega Drive one any good? Only played a small bit. The Snes version was superior in every way so never gave the MG one a proper go.

It's a turn based tactical combat game. Think a cross between X-Com and Fallout (1, 2, Tactics) so not really like the old console games.

Just so everyone is on the same page, the original version on the Snes looked like this, which the new one seems to be going back to.

It's only similar in that they are both isometric. The new one is turn based with a squad as opposed to real-time and solo. The Snes game almost played like a point and click with combat elements.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The megadrive game is closer to the new one. It was an open world RPG like Fallout.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Just so everyone is on the same page, the original version on the Snes looked like this, which the new one seems to be going back to.

Ah man that music !!!!! Has to be up there with my all time favorite game soundtracks, any way also haven't bought anything outside a sale on steam in quite some time, price on this seems a bit steep but thats just me being used to the sales I guess :o

Looks like there is a tonne of potential and maybe adding multilayer later?

Ah man that music !!!!! Has to be up there with my all time favorite game soundtracks

F*cking +1!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

just installing it now :)

just installing it now :)

Same here ;) time for some pissing about with the character creator.

Gone for a tech-savy engineer type dwarf with a big beard and a bad attitude :cool: Will probably invest in decking and drones and maybe some charisma. Quite handy with a pistol too if push comes to shove.

slu353.jpg

i went troll female street samurai, specced into shotguns for the craic :D it's very similar to xcom:eu in the combat, also reminds me of fallout 1 and 2's combat

Quite impressed so far. Loving the gritty atmosphere and the music fits perfectly. Reminds me of Blade Runner only with elves and such. The combat has been solid. Been in one or two fights but my drone has done nearly all of the dirty work. I might get some decking karma early as it seems like it would add a lot of utility to my character. Jake Armitage is badass ;)

Classic UPC, just as I start the download my connection starts to crap out. I'd expected poor download speeds on the day of release, but losing the connection every ten minutes is just goddamn frustrating. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Worth getting?

if you can deal with the enormous amount of really well detailed, witty and mildly dark text yeah. The combat is similar to XCOM's, but it's much more RPG heavy. Very well done though, for 17 quid, ye cant really go wrong with it.

Havent gotten to play with the editor yet, should be fun messing about with that too.

Just spent the last two and a half hours utterly engrossed. It's excellent. Noticed a typo or two I think, but it's slick and well-presented with plenty of depth for character progression. It's really pretty. Combat and dialogue options are very much like the old Fallout games, which is fantastic seeing as they were simple but really well-done. Music is fantastic.

Campaign that comes with it is good so far. Give it even a few weeks and we'll have a community creating new campaigns every bit as good or better.

Well worth the cash, I have to say.

Sprog 4 wrote: »
    Gone for a tech-savy engineer type dwarf with a big beard and a bad attitude :cool: Will probably invest in decking and drones and maybe some charisma. Quite handy with a pistol too if push comes to shove.

slu353.jpg

I see Salvador from Borderlands 2 took up a nixer there :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I spent a couple of hours playing the campaign this evening, I really enjoyed it. Dying to see what community efforts start rolling out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

How big is the download? May have to get it over the mobile, as i've no proper internet access till next week.

Nm, it's 1.25gb.

I see Salvador from Borderlands 2 took up a nixer there :pac:

Thats what I imagine him sounding like. Only Greasy Griff isn't as trigger happy and smells more like engine oil as opposed to jalapeños and smoke :P Kind of disappointed at the lack of [Intelligence] conversation options. Any stat-derived options seem to be [Strength] or [Charisma]. Oh well, time to play on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I love it apart from the save system which is killing it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Lone Stone wrote: »
    I love it apart from the save system which is killing it for me.

Yeah I made the mistake of quitting after defeated a major enemy, thinking it would auto save – nope. I the auto safe only kicks in when you enter a new area.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the checkpoint thing is a bit weird. Hopefully someone can 'fix' that. But really a minor niggle in what's really a brilliantly created game. I agree with Shiminay, very interested to see what the community can create. Ireland alone is crammed with RPG players and writers, some of them award-winning, and I like the look of this editor so it won't be long until we're all churning out campaigns.

Advertisement