Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options
1414243444547»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,845 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

3.18 will reportedly include their first pass for Persistent Entity Streaming, so I'm hoping these bugs never happen - and I can get my MISC Reliant working again. It's so bugged up they loan out Nomads for them now. The server forgets the state of the entity when it spawns it on the pad, it spawns it in flight mode most of the time and the physics don't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,845 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I got a preview of salvage play

My Cutlass was crippled so badly by a volley of 2 platform launched missiles that it ripped both engines off and one of the front wings. The engines shut down and it was dead in the water. I've never seen this behavior: if a ship is damaged beyond repair, it blows up and you respawn. Couldn't even turn on the MFD panels or use the radar, it was dead dead, except for the landing gear, chair, and doors.

So here I am with my gunner, and my penguin, just waiting for backup to arrive - you know, from someone who can fly a cutty AND doge missiles. While under fire, they did manage to get us and I made it back home, broke, and without losing my gear I couldn't afford to replace.

This would make great salvage for the vulture I also just bought in the concept sale; I also was helpfully reminded the tail of the cutlass is a hardpoint for a small tractor beam when that tech arrives too!

In hardware news, I am now 30+ frames 99% of the time in Orison (Cloud Hell), and usually it's 50-60 FPS :o it's what AMD would call an RDNA2 PC: Ryzen 5 5600X, X570 PCIe 4.0 board, Radeon 6950 XT, 32GB PC4-32000 RAM running in 4Ghz XMP that's coupled to the infinity fabric, and Smart Access Memory enabled on the UEFI bios (OS goes from seeing 256MB VRAM to all 16GB of GDDR6 VRAM installed). Radeon driver auto overclock has me +200 Mhz on the CPU and targeting a boost clock of 2759 MHz (+449 Mhz more than the stock boost spec, which is already a rebinned factory overclock of the 6900 XT)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Curiosity got the better me. Bought a game package with a ship.

The game is a buggy mess. Especially after a decade in development. Ramps kill you, ships kill you, elevators kill you, picking up a box has a chance to kill you, friendly NPC's sometimes shoot you on bunker missions, the controls are obtuse, half the missions are bugged and don't work, your ship will dupe itself, half the time your missiles won't restock. Not to mention the fps issues. You will struggle to get over 30fps in a city.

And yet.....there is something here. The sense of presence and immersion is fantastic. Having to wake up in a hotel, then take a train to a city, then find the elevator to a hangar.....all of which takes 5 minutes.....some might find that boring and tedious. But I don't. It really adds to the feeling that the world is real and you are just a part of it. It's a cheap illusion at the moment, sure, but it does work.

The proof is in the pudding I guess because I've owned the game for two weeks and have played every single day. I've done all the loops the game has to offer. Delivery missions, rescue missions, investigating wreckage, bounty hunting both PvE and PVP, bunker missions, cave missions and both ROC mining and asteroid mining. I've also bought 8 or 9 ships with in-game currency. They all look and fly great. I'll lose them on the next wipe but I can earn them back.

There is a gem here, if the developers ever get their **** together. I have to say I've really enjoyed it so far. I've joined the discord linked on the previous page but if there is an org or group full of Irish people or boardsies, I'd love to join you guys for some in-game shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Join here if you want https://discord.gg/W5QskNJk

We are mostly stocking up on Artimex Armour this week but Jumptown and Ninetails events are this week so imagine we will partake in that.

I bought an A2(in game) for Jumptown because of the uhhh ehhh "reasons".

Cool. Thanks for the invite.

As my for fleet, I've got an Avenger Titan, an Arrow, Hawk, Sentinel, Hurricane, Freelancer Max, Prospector and finally a Retaliator. So plenty of variety and opportunities.

One question though. Why Artimex? Isn't it medium armour? Heavy gives a better bonus I thought.

For fashion?

• Advertisement

100% fashion.

Heavy is not a good choice when getting Artimex or bunkers in general, you gotta be fast 😉

edit one of our dudes just killed AvengerOne :O

A wipe is coming with the next patch. They just announced it. Reputation is staying but EVERYTHING else is wiping. Oh well. Gotta grind to get my ships back I guess.

lol when I seen that I finished my Hurston Merc tier for bunkers, have 90ks in 3 areas now.

The reason is the dupe explot glitch which still isnt fixed, hopefully its fixed next patch.

Kinda stupid tho giving us Jumptown before the wipe tho, would make more sense after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ah you got them in game, thought for a second you bought all those and thinking that was a weird assortment with a bit too much overlap.

What will you be back down to after wipe.

Just the Avenger Titan. Only one I paid real money for when I got the game. And Tbh dont see much overlap there.

Titan is small and good for deliveries.

Arrow is a great pvp dogfighter.

Sentinel is a heavy fighter good at both pve and PVP fights.

The Ion is an anti capital ship. It is also my runabout because it is the fastest Quantum ship in the game while still being the smallest. And the engines sound amazing.

Prospector for mining and the Freelancer max for ROC mining and cargo hauling.

Hurricane is probably the best Two man fighter out there so I got that one for me and my buddy to do stuff in.

Retaliator for ERT's.

They all fill a good role. The only one that doesn't is the hawk. I bought that one coz I liked the look of it and it has a ton of weapons, but is more maneuverable than a buccaneer or a hornet. Bit of a glass cannon but good fun to fly.

• Advertisement

I mean if you had actually bought them as I said.

If it was real money you have either bought a Hawk or Arrow, or choose a different warden rather than a sentinel or Hurricane.

Cool.

But why a different vanguard? Sentinel is regarded as the best one due to its superior maneuverability. The increase in turret size doesn't make up for that.

Sentinel when Distortion and EMP were enabled was a beast, still my favourite ship tho.

Account unable to conact loadout services, be back in a few weeks :( Was about to get the Hammerhead for 9tails!

Just mean you'd have a choice within the Vanguards as the game changes vs the Hurricane or any other 2 crew ship. When they eventually add blades for turrets I think that'll effect the Vanguards a lot.

"the game changes" = the ship we just released for money is a **** beast and you should buy it with real money (Ares lol) but when it goes to ingame, we will nerf the **** out of it (Scorpius you are next).

Absolute no brainer to the pick the Sentinel with Distortion and EMP but sadly nerfed now but its still faster than all the other Vanguards but doesnt have S5 missiles.

"blades" the ability to fly a multi crew ship with several turrets and let a lone player control them all, absolute game breaking but pandering to people who spent thousands of real money on a ship but have no mates.

3.17.2 should be interesting, do us Sentinel owners get back the ability to shut down ships or will that still be a relic of the past to pander to those who paid?

For anyone unsure about the ship path its this:

Pisces Bunkers/Delivery

Gladius Low to med bounty hunting/other players.

Mates, ERTs/other players (Whatever ship floats your boat with S4 turrets)

Sentinel all of the above.

I dont mine or trade.

For context, i was intending to login tonight and buy an ingame hammerhead and have some serious craic with several others in said hammerhead and do 9tails.

Game said no and i wont be able to play again until 3.17.2

Not to pour salt in the wound but we had great craic doing the mission. We crewed up a connie and ran the blockade. We lasted a good while until we got surrounded by hammerheads and ate the big one. Still managed to hop in our separate fighters and make it back in time for the end though.

Highlights included MITE losing his helmet and being stranded.....and captain Ross ramming us into a Valkyrie at full speed :D

Cheers to all who joined!

Pro Tip never let Ross fly, he is a miner and has killed me countless times simply by flying into ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

"We are excited to announce that Squadron 42 is now feature-complete!

As we move into the polishing phase, we’re fully focused on optimizing and fine-tuning all aspects of the gameplay experience to deliver an unprecedented cinematic adventure. To celebrate this milestone, we have gathered our core development leadership from around the globe to share what this means."

Really liked the engineering part, they had a large A2 getting attacked and 1 person using the engineering control screen from the cockpit to coordinate repairs. He missed a fire that happened in a nearby room to the main components and vented the air in it too late so a relay there got damaged, later when the rest of the damage had mostly been repaired they couldn't jump as I think a relay was still down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I just can't get excited for this 🤷‍♂️ come back to me when they release a game in 20 years and not a buggy tech demo

• Advertisement

My PC just can't run it. I'd like to play it, space sims are right up my alley.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

I still can't even install it on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

As they are mine, been playing them since the x2 days, and was so hyped for star citizen back in either 2012 or 2013 when it was first announced, it's just gone on for too long.how did x4 pan out I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Perfectly reasonable to not want to play it in its current state. I get periods where it's (reasonably) fine and other periods where it's bugs galore. It's a live project where new patches often degrade the experience. The focus has been on building out the (not playable) single-player game Squadron 42. With that supposedly feature complete, they are shifting the focus to piling teams towards getting the Star Citizen MMO pulled together properly.

The server meshing tech that they did a live demo of looks fantastic, but there are a lot of unknowns still. Star Citizen just will not work without it. They claim it scales up, but we'll have to see... I'll be convinced when it actually goes live and is stress tested in real-world scenarios...

The replication layer that sits between the player and the server to save the state of play if a server goes down is a huge step forward on its own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

Only dip in and out of this over the years but the server mesh demo is truly game-changing if it works as they are shown in the demo, it could open the door to massive online games like Planetside tried to do

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

X4 is a decent space game mixed into am economic and business simulator. Definitely worth playing.

But here..., a lot has changed since this launched on kickstarter, a lot of us were here when it first got going have changed, marriages, kids, new careers, etc.

Who knows maybe my son will inherit my account and gift it his son to play when it's finally ready

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement