Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we wear clothes?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Why did we start wearing clothes in the first place? And why have no other animals followed suit?

Because humans don't have fur.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Post nekkid NOW

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Backwards by name, backwards by nature!:(
    It has taken us thousands of years to train our women folk to remove every god damned hair below their eyebrows, thus enabling mankinds greatest ever invention - vajazzling.
    Do you really want to go back to women with a hairy backs and no sparkles downstairs? - cos that's what will bloody happen if you keep up this crazy talk. Now, have a cold shower and put your fúcking trousers back on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I hope someone resurrects this thread in November so we can all reminisce about this summer as we huddle around the fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

BBDBB wrote: »
    Post nekkid NOW

Most of them probably are.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

The reason we wear clothes: Mary Harney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Chucken wrote: »
    Id say your dermis is epic now.

It was a joke. Sheesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

mud wrote: »
    It was a joke. Sheesh.

I get jokes.

naked in the rain, now theres a good time. Love it, cant wait for the thunderstorms...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Why did we start wearing clothes in the first place? And why have no other animals followed suit?[/QUOTE]

I see what ye did there. Very clever. That's a pun isn't it? Clothes...suit... jaysus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

It's a bit stupid really when you think about it. I was just out for a little stroll there, and there is a gorgeous half moon in the sky, the stars are out, a sliver of mist is coming up the valley from the sea, and everything is eerily quiet. And I thought to myself, I'd sure love to be naked right now.

Why did we start wearing clothes in the first place? And why have no other animals followed suit?

I'm trying to picture Marks and Spencers when a few dogs and cats come looking for some winter clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Because without clothes, I'm an ugly pot belly wnaker. With clothes.. i'm an ugly pot belly wnaker with style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

No-one wants to see your mickey, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

krochford wrote: »
    Serious Reply:
    As we started to live in larger, closer nit groupings, hair born parisites such as lice, flees and ticks became pandemic, so i was an evelutionry advantage to have less fur/hair, to be less prone to the ailment that these parisites caried. This was not such a disadvantage in terms of heat retention on the african sevanah but as we moved into cooler climes it required us to wrap in animal hide to keep warm, creating the birth of the fashion industry.
    After Hours Reply:
    Because you touch yourself at night!

Where does Tina Turner fit into all this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToqX-_gEAcSuV7UlkeO9zR-eLY4vzN75K5lB3MZXkhvqQc0sER

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

As a slight extension on to what I said above it is interesting how we now view clothes as being indicative with culture and being civilized.

It has even reached the halls of DISNEY. If you inquire to Disney as to why a mouse, like Mickey, can own a dog, like Pluto you get an eye opening answer. "There is a disparity in the mammalian order of things in the pantheon of Disney Characters" as one speaker once put it. Why is Pluto Mickeys dog and not that Mickey is Pluto's mouse? Why is Goofy not also Mickeys dog?

The official explanation released by them is that in the world of Disney any animal that wear clothes can "own" any animal that does not.

So the priest can concentrate during the sermon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

allibastor wrote: »
    We really need to wear cloths now because of Mcdonalds.Have you ever seen some of the fatties that come from there? would you want to see then neked.

Or worse... would you want them naked and cooking your food :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Why do we wear clothes? Because society tells us to, end of.
    Me (clothed) hole. "Society" doesn't tell us to feel cold when it's cold; we just... feel cold, and wear clothes to be warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

And I thought to myself, I'd sure love to be naked right now.

..And this is the reason why we wear clothes.....

:pac:

And why have no other animals followed suit?
    I think that elephants, hippopotamuses and pigs are examples of animals who don't have any hair, they have a thick layer of fat to keep them warm and live in warm places.

Humans decided to co where it cot cold and need to get skins from other animals to keep warm followed by clothes (made from animal by-products)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Pockets

wil wrote: »
    Pockets
    unless you're a kangaroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Somewhat of an opportune climate to pose such. Why at all, or why now

or why, am I even asking having checked who the op is :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    No we started shedding hair before we wore clothes. We lost hair because it was too hot in Africa where humans first evolved.
    Not so much because it was too hot but because we could cool down faster without hair.

This meant we could chase down prey in the heat of the sun. Humans were super persistent predictors

in our hunter-gatherer days, our favored tactic seems to have been following an animal at a jog until it simply dropped of exhaustion and heatstroke and either died there or had its head bashed in with a rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Fur :confused:

Also nice pun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

We would look good now walking and jogging around with an erection now wouldn't we. Imagine walking naked to the shop and you got one and then you would have the whole place going lol look at your man with an erection :pac:

Clothes are to make us look majoritally the same so people don't see this and get all exited, if you know what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I think that elephants, hippopotamuses and pigs are examples of animals who don't have any hair, they have a thick layer of fat to keep them warm and live in warm places.

Humans decided to co where it cot cold and need to get skins from other animals to keep warm followed by clothes (made from animal by-products)
    I thunk pigs are only hairless through selective breeding, in the wild they are as hairy as a . . hairy thing.

If we stopped wearing clothes would our hair start growing back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

If you were one of those first caveman, we'd be probably down to the bare bones by now

• Advertisement

So as not to give the ladies an inferiority complex?

Gets coat rather sharpishly

Advertisement