Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu Edge

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Cliste wrote: »
    But I think the idea has potential - how much potential remains to be seen.

None, or so it would seem.
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/aug/22/ubuntu-edge-founder-failure-canonical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't dismiss an idea just because YOU feel that you don't need/wouldn't use it NOW.

I agree that I also wouldn't get the phone - but then again I tend not to buy the latest stuff, or be an early adopter. But I think the idea has potential - how much potential remains to be seen.

So your telling me not to dismiss the idea while at the same time saying your not going to buy one either?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

syklops wrote: »
    So your telling me not to dismiss the idea while at the same time saying your not going to buy one either?

Ah to be fair, they are separate ideas. I don't have a laptop and wont be buying one any time soon. Doesn't mean I think laptops are a bad idea.

Khannie wrote: »
    Ah to be fair, they are separate ideas. I don't have a laptop and wont be buying one any time soon. Doesn't mean I think laptops are a bad idea.

I dont understand your point.

I dont understand your point.

Just because I wont buy something myself, doesn't mean I would discourage others from doing so.

• Advertisement

Just because I wont buy something myself, doesn't mean I would discourage others from doing so.

I was critiquing the idea of the Edge, and Cliste criticised me for suggesting that having one device which suits all your needs is a regression. He then went on to say:
    All I'm saying is that you shouldn't dismiss an idea just because YOU feel that you don't need/wouldn't use it NOW.

I am not dismissing the idea because I wouldn't use it. I am dismissing the idea because we have moved on from having one device to having multiple devices. I have a smart phone a tablet, a laptop and a kindle. If I lose one, I can still access the internet on one of the others. I still have at least some of my data. If I have one device I have a single point of failure. If someone snatches my phone when I am on the way to work, I now have no computer to work on during the day either.

Also, Im not discouraging anyone from buying one, I am saying why I don't think the idea works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

The problem I think is that in most people's mind, where do you find a HDMI screen and keyboard to use where it wouldnt be just as easy/better to have a PC (normal/small form factor) along with the screen and keyboard or just have a laptop/asus transformer in the first place as its more portable. It's hard to imagine a use case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Tails142 wrote: »
    where do you find a HDMI screen and keyboard to use
    Almost everywhere these days, surely.
    where it wouldnt be just as easy/better to have a PC
    A PC maybe, but my PC? I only have one of those and I'm not carrying it around everywhere I go (or anywhere I go for that matter). Even my laptop isn't with me all the time.

I think you'd be taking early adoption to the extreme in buying the Edge, but I can totally see a use case for these and I do kinda hope that's the direction we're heading. Imagine any friends house I visit, or any hotel room I stay in, and all I need is the (already readily available) HDMI screen and a keyboard and there I am with my computer, my files, my setup... just the way I left it and like it. I don't have to transfer or upload files before I leave the house or worry about syncing address books and calendars. I've got my entire machine in my pocket.

If you don't need a PC then obviously that side of things isn't much use to you anyway – but surely still a nice-to-have on your next phone?

Personally, I have very little need for the phone. But I do need a pocket computer and desktop PC. I think combining those two would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

I've never stayed in a hotel room that had a USB keyboard in it or a TV with a hdmi cable dangling out of it ready to be hooked into. And looking around the office I'm in now all the screens are VGA so...

Yes maybe when you are in your friends house you can plug your phone into his screen but... is there a full USB port on the side of the phone or do you need to carry some sort of adapter around with you all the time?

And if you keep what you want to work on in dropbox then and your calendars and address books are also in the cloud then there is no syncing issues holding you back in the first place from using any machine available.

Which is why you'd be "taking early adoption to the extreme" in shelling out that sort of cash for it now. Not to mention the software isn't quite ready yet either.

But consider how common-place iPod / iPhone docks are in hotel rooms these days. Or even WiFi or ethernet for you laptop. If this type of device became in any way popular I don't think it's much of a stretch that we'd start to see that HDMI cable and extra keyboard/mouse available too. That's going to be a chicken-and-egg scenario but given that the device is useful to me out of the box with just a home and office screen/keyboard, the hotels etc. can come later.

And/or just put a travel keyboard/mouse/lead in your bag.. easier to carry than even a iPad I reckon. Also, Bluetooth. No need for that USB port.

Dropbox and the like only solve a small part of the 'problem'. Doesn't help me out when I'm trying to get some work done and I'm stuck with whoever's ****ty old Windows box.

• Advertisement

I am not dismissing the idea because I wouldn't use it. I am dismissing the idea because we have moved on from having one device to having multiple devices.

Personally over 95% of my computing is done on 3 machines: Desktop in work. Desktop at home. Phone. If I could consolidate them I'd be happy. I agree that we've moved to multiple devices, but I see the benefit in going from multiple to one. I agree that there are drawbacks however. A laptop is significantly more versatile, but it is also quite cumbersome (comparatively at least).

As for phone loss - cloud backup covers that tbh. I thought I'd lost my phone a while back. Didn't really mind too much. All my important data was safe.

(Hmmm, just reading back over your post there, I'd have to include my nook too, kinda forgot about that. I don't see any other device replacing that any time soon.)

As for phone loss - cloud backup covers that tbh. I thought I'd lost my phone a while back. Didn't really mind too much. All my important data was safe.

How would you access the cloud?

Same thing you'd do if you lost your laptop - I'd buy a new phone (and if it was my only device, I'd likely have it insured).

Same thing you'd do if you lost your laptop - I'd buy a new phone (and if it was my only device, I'd likely have it insured).

Fine, I give up.

All I am saying is I can't see myself ever going to just one device. I will always have a laptop and i will always have a phone.

All I am saying is I can't see myself ever going to just one device. I will always have a laptop and i will always have a phone.

Even if you are hell bent on maintaining multiple devices that are essentially the same things in different form factors... wouldn't it be cool if you could plug that phone into a monitor or TV and get a big screen / desktop experience?

I can't see any possible downside in having it as an option. Even if it doesn't replace any devices.

And jaysus too... but it's all very nice talking about our multiple desktops and laptops and high end smart phones and tablets and ebook readers. There's a vast amount of people that don't have multiple thousands, or the desire, to spend on all these many gadgets.

$700 for a top-of-the-range smartphone and a "real" computer? Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Crowdfunding was not the best option for this however..

Be interesting to see if anyone else develops the idea further, and whether Ubuntu manage to get a partner for it's mobile OS

Be interesting to see if anyone else develops the idea further, and whether Ubuntu manage to get a partner for it's mobile OS

I honestly just believe that it was an exercise in marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

And a good one at that. But you can only get away with that type of Marketing once, so lets hope it works!

Goodshape wrote: »
    Even if you are hell bent on maintaining multiple devices that are essentially the same things in different form factors... wouldn't it be cool if you could plug that phone into a monitor or TV and get a big screen / desktop experience?

I can't see any possible downside in having it as an option. Even if it doesn't replace any devices.

Hell bent?!?

My laptop doesnt do eInk so I cant use it as an eReader. My phone doesnt have a keyboard, so I cant use it for typing. I love my laptop, but my tablet does things my laptop can't. Its not a case of being hell bent on anything, its fact.

TVs are getting smarter, they have wifi and USB connections. Id rather keep a USB thumbdrive on me and just connect it to my TV then relinquishing my entire phone to watch the media.

Speaking about being hell bent I have 4 other servers in the house, so "managing" a tablet and a laptop is not exactly rocket science.

• Advertisement

Hell bent?!?

I meant it a little tongue-in-cheek, don't take it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Has been a while since the last post. Hope this will intreste people
    2 oem's names

China and Europe

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTYwODg

Facebook could have made this a reality if they had paid a tiny percentage less for WhatsApp. 32million is approximately .002% of the 16 Billion they paid for WhatsApp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

bpb101 wrote: »
    Has been a while since the last post. Hope this will intreste people
    2 oem's names

China and Europe

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTYwODg

They're doomed to failure if they can't at least get one US OEM onboard

• Registered Users Posts: 16,398 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Not sure why Ubuntu are persisting with this. Google and Apple have an effective duopoly, first mover advantage on mobile and have billions of Dollars of cash behind them to ensure they remain the top dogs. Microsoft tried to break into mobile and have spent $10's of billions and all they have is a measly 3% market share. Ubuntu have no money and are basically starting a mobile OS from scratch - how can they possibly compete?

The only way Google and Apple will get toppled will be by someone who introduces a new disruptive technology that makes them obsolete. I don't see Ubuntu doing anything remotely innovative in this regard.

I'd say they're persisting in it in the hope that they're bought out for gazillions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Not sure why Ubuntu are persisting with this. Google and Apple have an effective duopoly, first mover advantage on mobile and have billions of Dollars of cash behind them to ensure they remain the top dogs. Microsoft tried to break into mobile and have spent $10's of billions and all they have is a measly 3% market share. Ubuntu have no money and are basically starting a mobile OS from scratch - how can they possibly compete?

The only way Google and Apple will get toppled will be by someone who introduces a new disruptive technology that makes them obsolete. I don't see Ubuntu doing anything remotely innovative in this regard.

You can say the same about Tizen & FirefoxOS. Ubuntu is aiming to have one platform for all devices - MS tried that and failed _badly_. If ubuntu can do it they might repeat android history. It took android 6 years to take 80% of the market and the same time for symbian to perish - I hope that in 5 years time we'll be chatting about firefoxos/tizen or ubuntu as the main player (I put my bet on firefoxOS)

There are some interesting numbers here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_operating_system#Outlook

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Advertisement

Advertisement