Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu Edge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Portable - you just need to find somewhere to plug it in! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

You mean there are portable phones available now??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

$4.35 million after 2 days
    Fúck me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

[-0-] wrote: »
    Not extremely expensive when you consider the cost of an iPhone or a Galaxy S4.

Still, though. Ugh.

Yeah but an iPhone or Galaxy S4 you can justify in that you will have it not long after the money leaves your account, with this, you have to wait until May of next year. I wonder how many Regular Joe's in the crowd will buy into this.

It goes to show that a less ambicious goal and they would comfortably reach it!

€32m is still a long long way away..

• Advertisement

10,000 plus backers. $5 Million raised.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

6.3M now. I'd say it'll be tight. 32 is a big ask.

Not a hope in hell unless they pull a few serious sponsors out of nowhere... but I can't see them getting corporate funding with the terms of the crowdfunding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

They'll never make 32 million without a HUGE publicity drive. Shuttleworth was on reddit recently which would have helped.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

If it heads north of 20, I'd say momentum will push it the rest of the way. I very badly want one. Nom nom nom.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    If it heads north of 20, I'd say momentum will push it the rest of the way. I very badly want one. Nom nom nom.

I'd love one too. :)

If I could even afford one, I would want it simply because it's not an i-Phone or a Windows phone.

Things are slowing down as expected. Today they didnt make a million. They also introduced a referral scheme late today. The best refereal gets a engraved edge

excollier wrote: »
    If I could even afford one, I would want it simply because it's not an i-Phone or a Windows phone.

So any android phone would do you...?

I type this on an android phone, and as a Linux user I am struggling to see what the ubuntu phone usp is.
    I'd love it too succeed, but I'm not willing to chance 600+ Euro on it...

I've had an Android phone for about three years - should've included that too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Cliste wrote: »
    I'd love it too succeed, but I'm not willing to chance 600+ Euro on it...
    is it not 800+ your need to chance?
    I think the 600+ price was only for those who signed up on day one and it seems to have limited to the first 5000 even then.

Specs look nice but a year is a long time ... who knows those specs might be standard in a years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Obviously I am not 'getting it' .....

what does this phone do while used as a phone that something like the iPhone or Galaxy does not .... or will not within the year during which this will be finally designed and produced?

what does it do when docked that a small form-factor PC on the desktop won't do now, or is unlikely to do within the year?

If it gets lost/stolen/broken you lose not just a phone but your PC also?

I really cannot see the point of this 'convergence' ..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I have a laptop, a HTC One, a kindle, a Kindle Fire and I've just been reunited with my PSP. The edge doesnt replace any of these devices except, arguably, the HTC One. We've gone from having one computer in the house that everyone uses, to people having multiple devices, so having a device which is both your desktop and your mobile feels like a regression to me.

Funding as slowed very much down. Havent reached 1 million(total) in the last 3 days

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    I have a laptop, a HTC One, a kindle, a Kindle Fire and I've just been reunited with my PSP. The edge doesnt replace any of these devices except, arguably, the HTC One. We've gone from having one computer in the house that everyone uses, to people having multiple devices, so having a device which is both your desktop and your mobile feels like a regression to me.

In fairness now purple also scoffed at the idea of a phone that was also effectively a computer.. look at where smart phones are now!

Right well . 14 days left.
    Blomberge backed it the other day by trowing 80,000 dollars their way ( i would say because they think they wont have to pay, and even if they do , its not big money to them. cheap advertising for them all in all)

Anyways. $695 is the newest price .No ifs no buts. Buy today

EDIT:also folks , There is free postage to the UK and Parcel motel acts as UK Address , so For 3 euros or something . You can get free postage here.

Edit end

Please Note: Anybody who does not wish to get this phone but would like to contrubite the 695 + postage - PM for my address and you can send it to me to take it off your hands.

8.8 million with 13 days to go. Never going to happen unfortunately. That's a shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

So has anybody put in enough to get one if it does make the $32 million barrier?

It is looking unlikely now that it will. I wonder though if there will be much of an increase in media interest and a subsequent rise in pledges once it breaks the $10 million barrier.

I think I will put in for it later this week, I have been holding off because I don't want ~€550 tied up for weeks, only to be refunded. With the deadline approaching thats less of an issue thant it was.

I'm not sure about the practicality of convergence in my situation. However the fact that the phone will be so high spec means I'll get years out of it and if I do get sick of it the resale value will probably be quite decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

To be honest I don't see a point in buying such a device _unless_ it would be based on open source code down to the bare bone metal (no binary blobs).

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

I can see your point.

One of the reasons I was atracted to Android is that I thought it could support legacy hardware, similiar to the way certain distros of linux would offer up to date kernels and software for older machines.

I figured that if Google wouldn't do it then other groups like Cyanogen Mod would. Unfortunately smart phones seem to age in dog years and developers aren't interested in older models. My HTC Desire S, released in March 2011, can only be updated to Jelly Bean through the efforts of individual developers porting and modifying other people's ROMs.

I think a Linux based phone represents the best chance for delivering a phone that can be opened up after release. Down to bare metal though? Even with core boot is that available on any machines?

PrzemoF wrote: »
    To be honest I don't see a point in buying such a device _unless_ it would be based on open source code down to the bare bone metal (no binary blobs).

That might severely limit how smart your phone can be though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

The reasons I'm not gonna buy are as follows:

1. Too expensive - I'm on bill pay and will get an upgrade before this phone ships and be able to get the top Galaxy S whatever for probably less than 200. That is the main deciding factor for me.

2. Warranty repairs - I have owned three smartphones in the past 3 years (counting my gf's in this) and they have all had to go back for warranty repairs due to motherboard faults and problems with the touch screen. Canonical dont do hardware, it's a tiny batch of phones being distributed globally, what chance do I have of getting a warranty repair that doesnt involve sending my phone off to the other side of the world for a repair, a process that in all likelihood will take upward of 4 weeks, given it takes nearly two for top brands with huge support networks.

3. Canonical and Ubuntu phone OS are unproven, fine it boots android also but hardware-wise the current main manufacturers have years of experience in manufacturing phones... and they still can't get it right (see point 1.)

4. Accessories - 10,000 phones only, you're not going to be picking up screen protectors and cases off of Amazon for this.

The campaign video talks about there being no hot bed for high end testing of phone tech and makes comparisons between the motor industry and F1. That’s an interesting analogy, because in F1 of the ten or more teams participating, only two or three are competitive, the rest all languish seconds behind in every race even with the extensive rules and handicaps to try and even out the field. How do we know Canonical are going to be the Red Bull Racing of the Phone F1 series and not the Force India?? This phone could end up being a complete lemon and then what options do you have. It is shown time and again that early adopters often get the short end of the stick, left with buggy hardware or having to endure half baked software and implementation.

It's a great idea (using crowdfunding to make a phone) and I wish them well but like I said the main factor for me is the cost - how can they compete when network operators offer subsidized phones? Nevermind the fact that the main idea of the phone, being able to boot Ubuntu and connect to a monitor solves a problem that doesn't exist.

Cliste wrote: »
    In fairness now purple also scoffed at the idea of a phone that was also effectively a computer.. look at where smart phones are now!

Thats not the same thing and not what I said. If they sold fridges that came with bash shells, I would get one. This is meant to be a device which replaces your phone and your desktop. I said I have a phone and a laptop and all the edge replaces is my phone.

• Advertisement

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't dismiss an idea just because YOU feel that you don't need/wouldn't use it NOW.

I agree that I also wouldn't get the phone - but then again I tend not to buy the latest stuff, or be an early adopter. But I think the idea has potential - how much potential remains to be seen.

Advertisement