Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu Edge

Options
  • 18-07-2013 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/07/countdown-appears-on-ubuntu-website

This thread is for the countdown of the next ubuntu gadget . Read below to see what i am talking about

A minimal countdown has appeared on the official Ubuntu homepage – but what is it counting down to?
    The teaser, which seems to have only been added today (July 18th), shows a dark background with four trailing slashes and ’4 days’ appearing above text reading ‘the line where two surfaces meet’.

ubuntu-website-homepage-july-18.jpg

Speculation

Canonical are no stranger to teasing imminent announcements using the front page of their website. Both the January reveal of Ubuntu Touch for mobile, and the subsequent news of a tablet-orientated edition, were both trailed in similar ways.
    Is this teaser counting down to an announcement related to those? Or is it something new?
    Ubuntu Edge

What’s interesting is that Canonical recently filed for (and secured) a recent trademark for the name ‘Ubuntu Edge’.

According to the trademark, viewable to the public on the US Trademark website, ‘Ubuntu Edge’ is related to software, computers and, perhaps most tellingly, ‘mobile telecommunications’.
    Further more, detective work by FOSS-fan Alan Bell shows that a website titled ‘ubuntuedge.com’ was registered by Canonical earlier in the week.
    Looking at the website promo itself we see numerous lines slashes and angles. Is this a direct nod to the trademark?
    Smart Watch?

Maybe we should focus more on the words on show. ‘two’, ‘surfaces’ and ‘meet’.
    Do these hint at an Ubuntu Smart watch? Apple, Android and even Firefox OS are all betting on smart watches. Maybe the ‘two surfaces’ mentioned in the trail are the skin of ones wrist and the casing of the device…
    Or maybe we should be thinking inside the phone box; y’know, the more obvious candidates of phone and tablet. Maybe Canonical’s efforts to woo hardware manufacturers has paid off?
    Whatever it turns out to be the good news is that we don’t have long to wait based on the counter – just 4 days..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

While I do love Ubuntu's enthusiasm and style of announcements I do hope that this time it is more than just a concept announcement!

I'd love to see something more come of the stuff that they have (phone, phone and tv)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Cliste wrote: »
    While I do love Ubuntu's enthusiasm and style of announcements I do hope that this time it is more than just a concept announcement!

I'd love to see something more come of the stuff that they have (phone, phone and tv)

I would say it is a watch . Thats all i can think it could be.
    Doubt its anything like glasses as Ubuntu wouldn't be able to manufacturing anything like that as they are all software based

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

bpb101 wrote: »
    I would say it is a watch . Thats all i can think it could be.
    Doubt its anything like glasses as Ubuntu wouldn't be able to manufacturing anything like that as they are all software based

By that logic they couldn't do the watch either. ;)

Hardware only requires a partnership. I'd say google have the glass area well and truly patented to hell.

Khannie wrote: »
    By that logic they couldn't do the watch either. ;)

Hardware only requires a partnership. I'd say google have the glass area well and truly patented to hell.
    no, because there are android watches coming out. You would have also thought that mac would patented the iphone smartphone or the watches but there still room. Also remember. Ubuntu dont copy, they just provide the os for the already existing products

Its seams the picture is gone at the moment form Www. ubutntu.com

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Ubuntu Forums is down for maintenance

Unfortunately the attackers have gotten every user's local username, password, and email address from the Ubuntu Forums database.

The passwords are not stored in plain text. However, if you were using the same password as your Ubuntu Forums one on another service (such as email), you are strongly encouraged to change the password on the other service ASAP.

Ubuntu One, Launchpad and other Ubuntu/Canonical services are NOT affected by the breach.

• Advertisement

Bollacks , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

OT, but might be of concern to ubuntu forum visitors, there has been a security breach, if your one of those folks that uses the same password for everywhere,...well shame on you :) get changing your email at least !

There has been a security breach on the Ubuntu Forums. The Canonical IS team is working hard as we speak to restore normal operations. This page will be updated regularly with progress reports.

What we know

Unfortunately the attackers have gotten every user's local username, password, and email address from the Ubuntu Forums database.
    The passwords are not stored in plain text. However, if you were using the same password as your Ubuntu Forums one on another service (such as email), you are strongly encouraged to change the password on the other service ASAP.
    Ubuntu One, Launchpad and other Ubuntu/Canonical services are NOT affected by the breach.
    Progress report

2013-07-20 2011UTC: Reports of defacement
    2013-07-20 2015UTC: Site taken down, this splash page put in place while investigation continues.

http://ubuntuforums.org/announce.html

http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1ipmuy/ubuntu_forums_defaced/cb6uxmp

First thing I wondered was if they were salted. Turns out they are. I wonder what kind of hash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Word on the street is its their new phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Met him last year, he gave a talk in UL, sound man

So is today the day, or was the countdown completely removed?

Just spit it out for flips sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Jaysus... it's expensive though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

From: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/07/ubuntu-edge-indiegogo-campaign-for-ubuntu-touch-super-phone
    The Day One Deal
    I just want to stress that for the very first day (which hopefully you are reading this on), you can pick up the Ubuntu Edge for a special lower price of $600. From Day 2 onwards the price will go up to $810.

This $600 offer runs out on Tuesday 23rd July at 16:00 BST, so be sure to get your order in!

So, head to the Indigogo page and grab an Ubuntu Edge, not only reserving a beautiful, powerful convergent Ubuntu device, but also demonstrating your support for Ubuntu converged devices.

Before I wrap up, we want to be very clear about something: his campaign does not mean Canonical has stopped working with OEMs and carriers to bring Ubuntu to other phones and devices; those discussions are productive and on-going.

Oh the pressure to buy! Some shilling going on with this to get people to buy without pausing for thought. The top two comments on the youtube video linked above are:
    "Shut up and take my moneeey ;)" and "THIS IS AWESOME!!!".

:rolleyes: ok calm down nerds lads. It's a newer, faster phone, with a port that will allow you to connect to a HDMI screen via an MHL Adapter.

Genius.

Peeved that I need 600 available today to get the lower price. I want one, but 800 dollars (probably 800 euro after VAT) is a bit too rich for me.

Nearing 400,000 already.

• Advertisement

I'm confused about two things:

-Why will it use android instead of ubuntu phone? (Other than the fact that nobody would spend so much for something completely unproven
    -200 is a big discount, but if people don't get there today they might buy tomorrow because they can't afford it, or they might wait for another deal..

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

We’ll choose the fastest available multi-core processor, at least 4GB of RAM and a massive 128GB of storage.

With those specs how long is it likely to remain high spec? I could imagine the storage not being topped for years, or other manufacturers just not bothering going for something like that ever. Likewise I'd say the screen might not be topped except by similiar consciously luxury end models. However other high spec phones could top the 4GB ram easily in a couple of years I'd imagine, and the fastest processor available now will allways date.

Nobody will pay 800 next week when they know if they had of got it last week it was 230 less. 1.45 million as we speak but it will be hard to reach 32million . Can't see it happing.
    Also don't think people want to dual boot their phones. Even Linux enthusiasts

Nobody will pay 800 next week when they know if they had of got it last week it was 230 less. 1.45 million as we speak but it will be hard to reach 32million . Can't see it happing.

I think they are overestimating how many people have 600 quid to spare with little to no warning. My HTC one costs me 50 quid a month for 2 years and before buying it I had to think about it. I'd say they will find it very hard to reach their target of 32 million.

While I like the idea, I can't see the phone ever replacing my laptop. I need to be able to type while on the go. I just had to send an email from my phone and it took about 3 times as long on my phone as it would on my laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

When did phones stop being phones?

I think you're probably right, but I hope you're wrong. :)

It's not actually a dual boot. Both run off the same kernel at the same time, you just see whichever interface you want (ubuntu if plugged in, android when mobile).

Personally I'd want it running something more lightweight than unity when in desktop mode.
    excollier wrote: »

An age ago. iPhones have been proper (though deliberately crippled) computers since the get go.

edit: 3.4M now on indiegogo. A little over 10%.

excollier wrote: »

As soon as they got bash shells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Not extremely expensive when you consider the cost of an iPhone or a Galaxy S4.

Still, though. Ugh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 49 0s

4 gave $10,000.

Blimey!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

My phone - does all I need a telephone to do.

Advertisement