Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭Doge

I purchased Dosbox Turbo on the Play store today for 3 quid, with the hope of running some DOS games like the original Duke3D, as the android version doesn't even have music or the 4th Episode.

Unfortunately I'm getting less than 5fps in Duke 3D on my Moto G after tweaking a lot of settings, and following their performance guide.

Sent an email to the developer asking him if its a lost cause or just unoptimized for the Moto G.

I think I may have underestimated the power required to run x86 DOS games on the ARMv7 platform. :(

It's a shame as I can run PSX games with maxed out FPS using Epsxe for android.

On the upside, Ganja Farmer runs fine! :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Epsxe is a god awful emulator though that runs everything really inaccurately. Does box on the other hand is really good which is why it requires so much resources to run. I doubt a mobile will be capable of running games on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ganja Farmer! What a game. Shame he never released Jesus Christ Super Commando.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Epsxe is a god awful emulator though that runs everything really inaccurately. Does box on the other hand is really good which is why it requires so much resources to run. I doubt a mobile will be capable of running games on it.

So far it has run the few games I tried really well without anything noticeably wrong.

I definitely wouldn't call it "god awful!" :P

Guess it depends on what games you run on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Doge wrote: »
    So far it has run the few games I tried really well without anything noticeably wrong.

I definitely wouldn't call it "god awful!" :P

Guess it depends on what games you run on it.

Retr0 is speaking from an accuracy point of view, & indeed ePsxe is pretty inaccurate. There's all sorts of hacks & plugins needed to get it going. While you're right in that it can present games quite often very playable to the user, the accuracy of emulating the PS1 console inner workings has long been lost at that point, & what you get instead, is more an interpretation of the game, rather than the game itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I'd call it god awful but I'm a stickler for emulation. All games on espsxe look very different from on the host hardware and there's lots of timing and audio issues. Sure most of the big games are playable but more obscure stuff requires specific plug ins and fudges just to get running acceptably.

Ah yes I see what you mean now, and i did get the impression it was hacked together alright, you can't even change controller settings in game, in fact there is very little you can do when its running.

I'm still impressed it can run quickly on a cheap android phone despite it being inaccurate internally.

Have any of you tried FPse for android?

I wonder how it compares.

Master of the Universe

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ganja Farmer! What a game. Shame he never released Jesus Christ Super Commando.

With a bit of grade A stalking I found out who the creator of Ganja Farmer/Evil X is and his linkedin profile.

www.linkedin.com/in/drjasonpitt

Anyone want to add Dr. Pitt and ask him why he never released Jesus Christ Super Commando and Ganja Farmer 2 10 years ago? :pac:

Espsxe is probably the best PS1 emulation. Really once you get into the territory of the Playstation or Saturn with custom video hardware then emulation accuracy is just awful.

• Advertisement

With a bit of grade A stalking I found out who the creator of Ganja Farmer/Evil X is and his linkedin profile.

www.linkedin.com/in/drjasonpitt

Anyone want to add Dr. Pitt and ask him why he never released Jesus Christ Super Commando and Ganja Farmer 2 10 years ago? :pac:

He was working on Ganja Farmer 2 about a decade ago and it seems to have fell by the wayside also:

http://www.evilx.com/load.html

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Espsxe is probably the best PS1 emulation. Really once you get into the territory of the Playstation or Saturn with custom video hardware then emulation accuracy is just awful.

But all the pretty filters and high resolutions!

:pac:

But all the pretty filters and high resolutions!

:pac:

I tend to have them disabled as they look so wrong but the FXAA plugin on android seems to offer subtle enhancements that doesn't feck things up as much as the windows version!

I have to say also that Android is becoming a more attractive platform for emulation,
    as it requires far less configuration. God damn i just remember all the plugins you had to download for the desktop version of epsxe, in android all you need is to add the bios and away you go!

That gamesome frontend and Nostalgia on the Ouya work beautifully also, no more having to open the emulator and use the GUI to open the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I have to say also that Android is becoming a more attractive platform for emulation,
    as it requires far less configuration. God damn i just remember all the plugins you had to download for the desktop version of epsxe, in android all you need is to add the bios and away you go!

That gamesome frontend and Nostalgia on the Ouya work beautifully also, no more having to open the emulator and use the GUI to open the game.

I have a bunch of emulators on my tablet and phone, as long as the game plays without video or audio issues and in the right aspect ratio then that's fine by me. retroarch does the all in one emulator thing as well it can be a bit fiddly though, but it does play a lot of mame roms the mame4droid ones don't so that's pretty handy. I have a ps3 pad I brought over here with me and use that via bluetooth, aint perfect but it does the job nicely. I'd love a proper snes pad though.

krudler wrote: »
    I have a bunch of emulators on my tablet and phone, as long as the game plays without video or audio issues and in the right aspect ratio then that's fine by me. retroarch does the all in one emulator thing as well it can be a bit fiddly though, but it does play a lot of mame roms the mame4droid ones don't so that's pretty handy. I have a ps3 pad I brought over here with me and use that via bluetooth, aint perfect but it does the job nicely. I'd love a proper snes pad though.

I'm using the ps3 controller also.

A lot of people on here complain about the dpad, but I'm so comfortable with it at this stage I find it great.

When you compare it to the abomination that is the Xbox 360 dpad, it suddenly seems amazing! ;)

Retro games are just unplayable with the 360 dpad IMO, very hard to press left and right perfectly without hitting diagonal. Its definitely one of the worst dpads of all time.

I ordered this smart clip and I'll do a video when or arrives:

http://www.dx.com/p/smart-clip-adjustable-plastic-holder-for-cellphones-ps3-controller-black-299607

Master of the Universe

That 360 D pad is crap for everything. You need to use it in dark souls to cycle through your inventory - has been the death of me many times due to the lack of precision. :(

krudler wrote: »
    retroarch does the all in one emulator thing as well it can be a bit fiddly though, but it does play a lot of mame roms the mame4droid ones don't so that's pretty handy.

Haven't actually tried Retroarch yet but surprised you've found much roms not working for mame4droid, is there many?

I presume you're using Mame4droid which uses MAME Version 0.139u and not Mame4all which uses MAME version 0.37b5?

Also are you using the 0.139u Rom Set as opposed to just downloading roms from sites? That Rom set will hugely maximize compatibility.

One big limitation of Android i discovered last night is that it has very poor support for shaders even on high end devices.

So for proper CRT Emulation we'll have to stick with PC's for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Are we allowed to sell emulation devices in the marketplace? I'm talking the device, not roms of course :)
    I'm doing a clean out and have an emulation handheld I want rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

I got a GPD-G5A for handheld emulation recently and I have to say Retroarch is the biggest pain the whole. It never seems to remember my platform specific settings. Its a shame because some of the better portable emulators like picodrive and pcsx rearmed don't seem to have standalone versions on android.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Haven't actually tried Retroarch yet but surprised you've found much roms not working for mame4droid, is there many?

I presume you're using Mame4droid which uses MAME Version 0.139u and not Mame4all which uses MAME version 0.37b5?

Also are you using the 0.139u Rom Set as opposed to just downloading roms from sites? That Rom set will hugely maximize compatibility.

One big limitation of Android i discovered last night is that it has very poor support for shaders even on high end devices.

Ok I'm confused. Clearly someone changed their name the week I was away... is that you Waveform?

MrVestek wrote: »
    Ok I'm confused. Clearly someone changed their name the week I was away... is that you Waveform?

Yes. Although you have forgotten even that I'm waveform on boards so many times now that you'll forget who I currently am in a week! :p

Master of the Universe

Urge to buy STATUS 25, rising...

They're really excellent. :)

Reminded me of some mini arcade books listed over on AO recently by Rancor. Just after pming him now for a set. $40 delivered.

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28301

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Steve SI wrote: »
    Are we allowed to sell emulation devices in the marketplace? I'm talking the device, not roms of course :)
    I'm doing a clean out and have an emulation handheld I want rid of.

No, I don't think so.
    The remit the A&R Marketplace operates under is clear in terms of the types of items allowed to be sold.
    If it gets fuzzy about the edges and we see items from other gaming fields enter we could see the Marketplace shut.
    But I'm happy to accept Myrddin's opinion on this as the rule.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No, I don't think so.
    The remit the A&R Marketplace operates under is clear in terms of the types of items allowed to be sold.
    If it gets fuzzy about the edges and we see items from other gaming fields enter we could see the Marketplace shut.
    But I'm happy to accept Myrddin's opinion on this as the rule.

Ah ok.
    I've already stuck it up. You can just delete or archive the ad if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yes. Although you have forgotten even that I'm waveform on boards so many times now that you'll forget who I currently am in a week! :p

Shut up Steve_SI!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I have both mame4droid and mame4all. I usually just get the roms off sites instead of the full sets, most of them work fine on the 0.139u mame but it can be hit and miss. do I need some other files or just the rom types themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

BWAAAAH!

HUwWhBS.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Having some big problems with parcel motel,

I ordered a phone from amazon uk, this day last week. It arrived in parcel motel friday the 1st of Augest and now sign of it since. I have my amazon shipping document, including the full address and my PM id and I have the royal mail tracked service showing it was sent to, and signed for, by parcel motel

I emailed them today about it and they are "looking for it in the warehouse". The guy said it might have come in with no PM id, which i mailed back that it was on the shipping document, havnt heard back from then since

Anyone have a suggestion for the next step? I was going to just post the whole thing up on their facebook page since that might get some more attention because I'm really pissed off over this. Says to wait at least 8 hours before it gets checked in and its been 4 working days now

I could always ring Joe Duffy :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement