Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant to get the full rate

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Chris___ wrote: »
    I don't have children no. It's hard for a lot of people out there I understand that and for people who have lost their jobs and are at risk of losing there home they deserve more but I'm against the people who never worked in their lives but go out and get pregnant to get benefits. One girl in our estate who is 24 (same age as me) and has 5 children and she is earning more than other women I know with children who are struggling to live on their wages each week

If you were aware of this why did you not report her yourself? I agree there are those who milk the system but the opportunities to do so have been shut down with scalpel like precision...it was, after all, low hanging fruit and child protection measures have addressed many of the concerns voiced about teenage mothers! Be part of the solution, not the problem! ;)

I'm twice your age, have lived smack bang in the middle of a notorious estate where the average age of a pregnant woman was 18 and spent many Years working in an associated field, I have been aware of CW Officers demanding to see Baptismal Certs (Daddy's name normally on that Cert!), turning up at Christenings, showing applicants Parish Newsletters exposing their lies! I'd rather have the revenue after me than SW when they suspect skulduggery and in the true spirit of AH, will somebody please think of the children!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Whether financial gain is their motive or not, I am sure they will soon realise that children are expensive to rear and they will not be making any profit!

goz83 wrote: »
    @Pandora2

Not all teenage pregnancies get an officer assigned to them. My wife had our first child at 17. Se was pregnant at 16, like your daughter. I was 19 when our 1st was born. At that stage, my wife (then girlfriend) was in college and i was working. We didn't go down the whole single parent, gimme a house route either. Lots of our friends did and most never progressed, they just got trapped in the system. We now have 4 kids, lots of pets and a mortgage. :rolleyes:

Congrats on the arrival and I hope all works out for your daughters new family. It is a great support that you are there. We had that same support from her parents.....mine too, but in a different capacity.

I think you'll find that they are now, it's a child protection issue. Things have changed rapidly, see my previous post. Delighted you guys made it!! Have very high hopes for my Romeo and Juliet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Chris___ wrote: »
    I didn't call her job crappy. Called the bacon crappy and as for the crazy one in the post office it was obviously for the iPhone she had in her hand (Time I got mine I had to sign up for a 24 month contract how can she afford that monthly)

You did not need to reference where she worked and that her employers make crappy grub.

As for the person in the post office; maybe she is smarter with her phone contract than you? We have things called "price plans" and some price plans give you......wait for it........a FREE iPhone.

I have worked in telecomms and some people spend €50 weekly on payg. Those on bill plans rarely spend that much, but that's not really the point. Fact is, you don't know if the phone cost her anything (gift, price plan). It just shows how judgemental you are. Step back and look at what you are saying. Now imagine someone else saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Pandora2 wrote: »
    I think you'll find that they are now, it's a child protection issue. Things have changed rapidly, see my previous post. Delighted you guys made it!! Have very high hopes for my Romeo and Juliet!

There might be higher instances, but not all. My best friends niece just had a baby. She is just 18. Got pregnant at 17. Nobody assigned. Maybe they prioritise by age and circumstances?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

I'm incensed by this thread and your ignorance!
    In recent weeks I've been made redundant and ended a long term relationship so I find myself a genuine single, unemployed mother and it makes me furious that people actually think this way or assume that the money you have to live on is enough to have any sort of quality of life.
    It's really difficult to make that little bit of money cover healthy balanced meals, nappies, bills, activities for the child etc. Statements like you've made make me feel ashamed when I'm in the post office collecting my "one parent family", wondering are people thinking the same about me as I was only 22 when I got pregnant.

To be honest that story is right there with the Nigerian who leaves the buggy at the bus stop. Offensive and foolish.

goz83 wrote: »
    There might be higher instances, but not all. My best friends niece just had a baby. She is just 18. Got pregnant at 17. Nobody assigned. Maybe they prioritise by age and circumstances?

16 and a half when she became pregnant, no social issues to speak of...she achieving in school, quite an accomplished musical education under her belt,no problems with substances, solid home life (we like to think so!) and full familial support on both sides. Social Worker at the hospital told me it was standard State support these days, just my experience.

I know I don't speak for everyone, but I'm sure I speak for quite a few when I say take your unfounded hearsay stories elsewhere for jaysis sake.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement