Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant to get the full rate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Chris___ wrote: »
    Between the ages of 4-6 and 7-12 most children that age are in school until 2-3pm. No excuse for a woman not to go out and work between these hours. A lot of women do.

Yes because most employers are so considerate when it comes to accomodating parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Not everyone is lucky enough to have an education.
    Why not? It's provided. All they have to do is show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Ireland has one of the lowest teenage pregnancy rates in the world check here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_pregnancy#Prevalence refrence is UN stats division.

Doesn't seem so ...

Birth rates, 1996

Per 1000 women 15–19,

taly 6.6
    Spain 7.5
    Netherlands 7.7
    Sweden 7.7
    Denmark 8.2
    France 9.4
    Finland 9.8
    Belgium 9.9
    Greece 12.2
    Germany 13.0
    Norway 13.6
    Ireland 16.7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevalence_of_teenage_pregnancy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Valetta wrote: »
    Not sure if you've thought this one through.

Are you saying that people who get CB in cash payments are not feeding their children?

Just checking. :confused:

Not all people but there are some mums/dads out there who spend it all on themselves. Was even a girl in this estate who threw her kid into care and collected the child benefit for a whole year after it. It was only thanks to a neighbour reporting her (not me) they cut her off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

No it's not Niall most of these girls and guys left school because they wanted the training allowance. Most if not all of them would do very well sitting the Junior and Leaving certs and going on to college.

It's shocking the only ambition these girls/boys have is to get money off the state. When I was there age I was working on building sites throughout Munster and I still do today :)

So we take it that you obviously left school early to get quick money but now you're here pushing the pretty outrageous notion that teenage mothers only ever get pregnant so they can get 200 quid a week off the social. Okay.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Yes because most employers are so considerate when it comes to accomodating parents.

They actually are. A friend of mine works 9-2 everyday her employer has no problem with that. She jumps in the car and collects the kids at school and goes home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Not all people but there are some mums/dads out there who spend it all on themselves. Was even a girl in this estate who threw her kid into care and collected the child benefit for a whole year after it. It was only thanks to a neighbour reporting her (not me) they cut her off

But they still feed and clothe their children, right?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

No Pants wrote: »
    Why not? It's provided. All they have to do is show up.

The incredible ignorance being shown on this thread is staggering.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    So we take it that you obviously left school early to get quick money but now you're here pushing the pretty outrageous notion that teenage mothers only ever get pregnant so they can get 200 quid a week off the social. Okay.

I left school when I was 18 and finished my junior and leaving. Didn't go to college because it was during the boom and the money in construction sector was good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Think I'll end this!

My daughter, Mother of a beautiful baby boy born in July is 17! She is with her partner (19, has LC, not enough for College, he is dyslexic) who is a participant on one of these course!

They are completely upfront about their relationship, there has been no One Parent Family Application. As this young man had commenced his course prior to the child being born, and it is a contractural arrangement that they operate, they will not make any payment for his dependants, my daughter or his child. SW are not interested as he is on a Course. Upshot they live with us and will continue to do so for many Years as he builds up his ability to provide for his family. Myself and my Husband support my daughter and the grandchild, in addition to the €188 he receives in lieu of his course!

They made a mistake, had their own moral dilemma and with support have embarked on their lives as a family. My daughter is a good and attentive mother who neither smokes nor drinks. The child is 7 weeks old now and she has not left the house but for the duties of a parent, despite my encouraging her. She receives vouchers for baby milk & nappies from a teenage liaison.

She goes back to school in September to sit her LC, something that was derailed by her pregnancy last Year. Tell your mate down the pub, he's either spoofing or ill-informed, you really should not be so gullible!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Between the ages of 4-6 and 7-12 most children that age are in school until 2-3pm. No excuse for a woman not to go out and work between these hours. A lot of women do.

And it should be encouraged - i.e. money for staying at home should be less than money for going to work.

Being "made to look for work" is another thing though. Particularly when the jobs with the necessary flexibility are quite limited.

FutureGuy we are not talking about the boys and girls who left school because they were not able for it. It's the ones who were and just left for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

True some people on these FÁS and VEC courses were not doing well in school but a big majority of them just go on it for the training allowance.

They just go on it for the training allowance? What 100 euro a week to go to school? Yes they are bleeding the country dry. When you say the majority of them, what sort of numbers are we talking? I was under the impression that Ireland had one of the highest school completion rates, where students stay in school until they are eighteen in western Europe.

As a tax payer I have no problem with people receiving child benefit but it should be paid out in the form of vouchers just like food stamps in the US to stop people using it to pay for car insurance or the plasma TV.

That is simply micro managing people. For every parent who spends child beneift on booze, there will be about 5 who will spend it on home heating oil or electricity to keep their kids warm. Its very hard to feed food stamps into a meter.
    In the post office the other day there was a woman screaming at the teller because her friend got the back to school allowance and she didn't while waving a vodafone bill screaming "how am I supposed to pay this" like they have control of the DSP

Again that is just micro managing people. If you are applying for jobs you need a phone to receive calls for interviews, and an internet connection to find jobs to apply for.
    BTS should be administered through the schools on behalf of the department of education and not given to the parents to spend as they like.

Childrens needs vary. While the back to school allowance is to pay for books, and new uniforms and whatever kids need to go back to school, for all you know the mother might have bought all the stuff she needed for the kids out of her job seekers benefit, and then had no money left to pay her own bills, hence why she was annoyed at not receiving a Back to school allowance.
    Jake1 wrote: »
    Theres a guy works down the chip shop, swears he's Elvis.

The is man is clearly disturbed. I'm Elvis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

As ignorant as these girls are doing what they are doing, your comment about <b> silly </b> FETAC courses is just as ignorant imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Care to share some details?

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Think I'll end this!

My daughter, Mother of a beautiful baby boy born in July is 17! She is with her partner (19, has LC, not enough for College, he is dyslexic) who is a participant on one of these course!

They are completely upfront about their relationship, there has been no One Parent Family Application. As this young man had commenced his course prior to the child being born, and it is a contractural arrangement that they operate, they will not make any payment for his dependants, my daughter or his child. SW are not interested as he is on a Course. Upshot they live with us and will continue to do so for many Years as he builds up his ability to provide for his family. Myself and my Husband support my daughter and the grandchild, in addition to the €188 he receives in lieu of his course!

They made a mistake, had their own moral dilemma and with support have embarked on their lives as a family. My daughter is a good and attentive mother who neither smokes nor drinks. The child is 7 weeks old now and she has not left the house but for the duties of a parent, despite my encouraging her. She receives vouchers for baby milk & nappies from a teenage liaison.

She goes back to school in September to sit her LC, something that was derailed by her pregnancy last Year. Tell your mate down the pub, he's either spoofing or ill-informed, you really should not be so gullible!

Pandora that is different from what you say they did not set out to scam the system and congrats on been a grandmother. These girls I'm on about do this on purpose to get on benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So I was talking to a mate of mine last night in the pub. He WAS a course coordinator or some title like that with unemployed school leavers from 15 up to 21 years doing silly Fetac level 2-3 things.
    Was a course coordinator, up until this thread caused a lazy journalist to make a story on it, and end up getting your mate sacked.
    Because most full time jobs are 9-5.
    They actually are. A friend of mine works 9-2 everyday her employer has no problem with that. She jumps in the car and collects the kids at school and goes home.
    That's one person. One. And probably a public sector worker at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yes one example disproves the point...was talking to a friend of mine in power city as she bought a flatscreen with her childrens allowance, while her children were locked out in her new car unclothed, and unfed and she told me employers don't.

the_syco wrote: »
    Was a course coordinator, up until this thread caused a lazy journalist to make a story on it, and end up getting your mate sacked.

Because most full time jobs are 9-5.

That's one person. One. And probably a public sector worker at that.

No she works in a meat factory they produce cooked bacon products or something for ready meals crap like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

not only is child benefit not even enough to pay for nappy's for the month, but its paid automatically to everyone regardless, so thats why they kept sending it to her even with the child in care, not many parents put their children into care so its not something they would have anticipated or had a process for.

as for Pandora, good luck to your daughter,

we were not quite in that same situation (i was made redundant due to taking maternity leave from work, while my now husband was halfway through his college course) so we literally had no money, and got not one bit of help from the state after i finished collecting my stamps i'd earned, as we in our situation were in every loophole you could think of, luckily for us my husband graduated and got a great job and we are currently on our way through life, building our home...etc

so i just want you to know it can all work out in the end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Chris

do you have children?

if you do would you give up your job and look after them with 200 a week in your pocket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Pandora that is different from what you say they did not set out to scam the system and congrats on been a grandmother. These girls I'm on about do this on purpose to get on benefits

Not at all, immediately her pregnancy was confirmed she was assigned a Social Worker and a teenage liaison worker as is every teenage mother in the Country. It would have been impossible for her to hide the identity of the Father even if she was of a mind to! They were all over her, her FB account etc; And don't forget if they had any concerns about her, they would have been quite within their rights to take the child into care. You mess with these people at your peril! I think you'll find that all this is nonsense, an urban myth, perpetuated time and again by bar flies and those unhappy with their own lot!

Thank you for your kind wishes, he's wonderful...10 Years ahead of schedule but once the initial shock wears off, our home is all the better for his arrival!

I don't have children no. It's hard for a lot of people out there I understand that and for people who have lost their jobs and are at risk of losing there home they deserve more but I'm against the people who never worked in their lives but go out and get pregnant to get benefits. One girl in our estate who is 24 (same age as me) and has 5 children and she is earning more than other women I know with children who are struggling to live on their wages each week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Fact is that there are people who milk the state and some will go as far as to get pregnant to get homed by the state. But slagging off the fetac course is what showed the OPs arrogance in the OP. then he followed up with a makey uppey BS story about a woman screaming about her Vodafone bill. Then, another story about a female friend who works 9-2 and hops into her car to pick up her kid and go home. Then he pretty much called her job crappy, because the company produce bacon for ready meals. Good job getting support OP.;)

goz83 wrote: »
    Fact is that there are people who milk the state and some will go as far as to get pregnant to get homed by the state. But slagging off the fetac course is what showed the OPs arrogance in the OP. then he followed up with a makey uppey BS story about a woman screaming about her Vodafone bill. Then, another story about a female friend who works 9-2 and hops into her car to pick up her kid and go home. Then he pretty much called her job crappy, because the company produce bacon for ready meals. Good job getting support OP.;)

I didn't call her job crappy. Called the bacon crappy and as for the crazy one in the post office it was obviously for the iPhone she had in her hand (Time I got mine I had to sign up for a 24 month contract how can she afford that monthly)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

An I reading the welfare website right? The rate for an 18 year old is 100 euro per week but the rate for a opf with one child is 188 plus 29.80?

That is a bigger jump than its ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Just to stir the subject up some more....sure aren't the travellers at this for decades!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Not at all, immediately her pregnancy was confirmed she was assigned a Social Worker and a teenage liaison worker as is every teenage mother in the Country. It would have been impossible for her to hide the identity of the Father even if she was of a mind to! They were all over her, her FB account etc; And don't forget if they had any concerns about her, they would have been quite within their rights to take the child into care. You mess with these people at your peril! I think you'll find that all this is nonsense, an urban myth, perpetuated time and again by bar flies and those unhappy with their own lot!

Thank you for your kind wishes, he's wonderful...10 Years ahead of schedule but once the initial shock wears off, our home is all the better for his arrival!

I never got assigned one and I was advised by the social worker in the hospital to claim opfp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

phasers wrote: »
    Yeah, when I was in third year in 2005 or so, girls were getting pregnant so they'd get a council flat faster when they left school after the junior cert.

Fair play to yiz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

@Pandora2

Not all teenage pregnancies get an officer assigned to them. My wife had our first child at 17. Se was pregnant at 16, like your daughter. I was 19 when our 1st was born. At that stage, my wife (then girlfriend) was in college and i was working. We didn't go down the whole single parent, gimme a house route either. Lots of our friends did and most never progressed, they just got trapped in the system. We now have 4 kids, lots of pets and a mortgage. :rolleyes:

Congrats on the arrival and I hope all works out for your daughters new family. It is a great support that you are there. We had that same support from her parents.....mine too, but in a different capacity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement