Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian tax thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Bungarra

lavelle72 wrote: »
    I claimed the Medicare Levy Exemption a few months back when I did my return and got a ltter yesterday saying they couldn't prove I was eligible for the exemption and need me to provide the cert. Have to go through the process of getting it now - it's such an annoyance, could they not just get immigration records or something

It's easy, just fill out a form in centrelink and they send out a certificate of exemption soon after as far as I remember. Haven't gone and done my 2013 tax year one yet tho'.

They didn't even ask for proof off me last year but i did my tax through an accountant so don't know if that made a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I claimed the Medicare Levy Exemption a few months back when I did my return and got a ltter yesterday saying they couldn't prove I was eligible for the exemption and need me to provide the cert. Have to go through the process of getting it now - it's such an annoyance, could they not just get immigration records or something

Due to the new powers of sharing info between ATO and DIPB they are cracking down on this, also seem to be cracking down on the 183 day residency requirements for tax purposes atm and more than likely will be cracking down on other stuff.... claiming back flights overseas to inspect property while on a 457 springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lavelle72

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Due to the new powers of sharing info between ATO and DIPB they are cracking down on this, also seem to be cracking down on the 183 day residency requirements for tax purposes atm and more than likely will be cracking down on other stuff.... claiming back flights overseas to inspect property while on a 457 springs to mind.

If they're sharing data, surely the Medicare people can get a list of all people on temporary visas from countries that are ineligible for Medicare, and all the AU entry dates which we get asked for?

The process of getting the exemption cert is a pain in the hole

If they're sharing data, surely the Medicare people can get a list of all people on temporary visas from countries that are ineligible for Medicare, and all the AU entry dates which we get asked for?

The process of getting the exemption cert is a pain in the hole

It's not just as straight forward as what you think.

Medicare exemption goes on your residency of the country you resided previously to entering into Australia not you passport.

If you are from the south and only have and Irish passport and were a resident of Northern Ireland previously to entering Australia you are eligible for medicare.

Similarly if you have a UK passport and were a resident of ROI then you would be ineligible.

Another good example is if you were an Australian Citizen and lived in ROI for 5 years you can claim a medicare exemption certificate.

Edit: you self claimed a medicare exemption without a certificate, so what if for some reason you couldn't prove you were ineligible then you are stuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I got a letter like that two the other day.
    But for the 2012 tax year.
    I've been on the same temp visa since 2011. Only passport/residency is Ireland. Haven't left Australia for anything other than a holiday in this time.
    But;
    I was Medicare levy exempt for the full year in 2011 and 2012
    I was exempt for part of the year in 2013
    And if my situation doesn't change in the next 8/9 months I won't be exempt in 2014.

But for every year I meet the requirements above.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »

Ah bollox, I just noticed my letter says 2012 too!

I got the documents ready and posted them off this morning, but I said July '12 to June '13 for the claiming period.

I'm assuming now I need to do the same thing for last year, dose

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Mellor wrote: »

I got one for 2012 the other day aswell. I applied for PR in March 2012 but didn't realise I was eligible for medicare from this date until after I had done my tax return and had claimed for the full year in my return. Looks like I'll need to pay them back a few pound now...

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I got a letter there now looking for evidence than I'm exempt from the levy also for 2012. How do I get 1 and will I get one for 2013 as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

I received the same letter for 2012 yesterday. Thankfully I already have the exemption certificate from Medicare for each year that I've been here.

It doesnt take that much effort to get exemption in the first place i.e copy of passport, fill out the application form and include copy of your visa.

The letter I received from the ATO states i've got 28 days to reply or they will issue an amended notice of assessment. I would be very surprised if you get the exemption cert from Medicare within that timeframe. Most likely these letters will create an even bigger backlog!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Has anyone received this letter, applied for the exemption certificate and then rang the ATO to say you have applied for it?

What was there response?

I have received this letter and applied for the exemption certificate. My 28 days is up on the 28th October and i haven't contacted the ATO yet but i highly doubt i will receive the cart before then so was wondering what is their stance on this situation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Has anyone received this letter, applied for the exemption certificate and then rang the ATO to say you have applied for it?

What was there response?

I had this happen to me a couple of years ago. From what I remember I think I just called up the ato and told them I'd lost the original exemption cert and needed to reapply so that I'd need more time and there were no issues with that at all.

Yeah I think I'm going to need to ask for an extension on the 28 days too, just send off my exemption claim yesterday for both 2012 and 2013.

Can I preempt them looking for my 2013 cert in the future and just send it to them now? Just cos I'm leaving Aus at Christmas and would prefer not to miss something like that

Yeah I think I'm going to need to ask for an extension on the 28 days too, just send off my exemption claim yesterday for both 2012 and 2013.

Can I preempt them looking for my 2013 cert in the future and just send it to them now? Just cos I'm leaving Aus at Christmas and would prefer not to miss something like that

I think its random tbh.

I claimed the exemption in 2010, '11, '12 and '13. This was the only time I was asked for a cert, and I've had the cert every year, including the one they requested last week. I emailed my tax agent and he forwarded it to me this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

I rang the ATO today and explained i had lodged the application to get the certificate and they extended the 28 days by another month to allow the cert to arrive.
    (If i am not eligible i will have to pay the interest for the extra month though)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Feck sake, just got a letter from the ATO this morning looking for the exemption cert for 2012. I rang the ATO to extend the 28 days but the fella on the phone said he can only extend it by 28 days from when I rang so I have to ring again in a few weeks. I asked him what would happen if I forgot to call him back and I went over the 28 days and he said that once they receive the exemption cert (even if it's a few weeks overdue), any case against me would be dropped.

Straightforward to get the cert but very annoying at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

I wouldn't worry too much massdebater, the legislation is clear, interest is only liable on a tax liability. So if they hit you with an interest charge (and amended assessment) after 28 days, by law, it has to be rescinded once you send in the exemption cert

Not pub talk, I am a tax accountant

.....as for a possible penalty for a false disclosure (that you had an exemption cert when submitting your tax return) that is a separate matter altogether but I would be amazed if they ever tried to hit someone with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Thanks Legend - I'm not worried at all. It's just a pain in the hole having to apply for the cert, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Hey guys, in a bit of bother atm.

The OH spent the year in Australia from june 2012-may 2013. She worked in numerous jobs in this time, from roadhouses to farms to camping and caravaning parks.

Travelled from Perth to Darwin to sydney/melbourne and other smaller places but she generally spent 1-2 months max in each place and generally rented or was given accommodation from whom she was working for. This means they didn't have any utility bills in their name, kept the same job for 6months + or stayed in the same place.

Her and a friend who were travelling worked the same jobs and went to the same places but they both used different tax companies to do their taxes.

Basically her friend has already received back her tax refund about a month and a half ago from the ATO but my OH has just received an email from her tax company (taxback.com) that the ATO has decided not to deem her as a resident for tax purposes. (and that she cannot dispute this decision which I find very strange).

So instead of the ATO owing her 3k dollars in tax returns they now deem her liable for 3k dollars which they've given her a month to pay.

This is very worrying for us as we've just started our year visa in New Zealand and were depending on this 3k to come in this month not the 6k difference of not receiving the month and owing them 3k.

Has anyone any advice on this matter? It'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Crow92 wrote: »
    Hey guys, in a bit of bother atm.

The OH spent the year in Australia from june 2012-may 2013. She worked in numerous jobs in this time, from roadhouses to farms to camping and caravaning parks.

Travelled from Perth to Darwin to sydney/melbourne and other smaller places but she generally spent 1-2 months max in each place and generally rented or was given accommodation from whom she was working for. This means they didn't have any utility bills in their name, kept the same job for 6months + or stayed in the same place.

Her and a friend who were travelling worked the same jobs and went to the same places but they both used different tax companies to do their taxes.

Basically her friend has already received back her tax refund about a month and a half ago from the ATO but my OH has just received an email from her tax company (taxback.com) that the ATO has decided not to deem her as a resident for tax purposes. (and that she cannot dispute this decision which I find very strange).

So instead of the ATO owing her 3k dollars in tax returns they now deem her liable for 3k dollars which they've given her a month to pay.

This is very worrying for us as we've just started our year visa in New Zealand and were depending on this 3k to come in this month not the 6k difference of not receiving the month and owing them 3k.

Has anyone any advice on this matter? It'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

As per my post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86965235&postcount=213 the ATO are cracking down on this as well as other Temporary visa activities.

Usually the above happens if the Tax return was lodged before actually being in the country 6 months, so arriving in March 13 and then claiming to be tax resident in July won't work. (At least this year it won't).

This does not seem to be the case above as your OH seems to have been around since last year.

But I did post something on this a few months ago

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85379071&postcount=17

if you refer here.

http://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/How-much-income-tax-you-pay/Are-you-an-Australian-resident-for-tax-purposes-/

It could be your OH's friend might end up with a letter and a Tax Bill looking the money back in the near future any how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Posted off my medicare exemption application over a month ago, rang them Friday and they said it could take another few weeks as there's a huge backlog. Just rang the ATO and they said if it doesn't arrive soon then I was to apply for an extension.

If they're sharing information why doesn't one just inform the other?

• Advertisement

Information sharing is between ATO and DIPB only in an attempt to curb immigration rorts and tax rorts by temporary visa holders.

Medicare is a different agency.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Information sharing is between ATO and DIPB only in an attempt to curb immigration rorts and tax rorts by temporary visa holders.

Medicare is a different agency.
    I'm not arguing but I would imagine streamlining would make rorts easier to identity. Departments not talking to eachother create potential for rorts!

I can't handle that word rorts, why can't they just say "abuses" or "false claims".

catbear wrote: »

I can't handle that word rorts, why can't they just say "abuses" or "false claims".

I agree.

Fraud and scams by fraudster's and scammers better choice of words.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

I should be medicare exempt as I am on a 457 visa and don't get medicare, but with filling out the tax online I don't think I am doing it right to get the exemption. What do I need to click on the online form to be able to get this?

8a0o.jpg

Ok digiman, I know this is going to get confusing but I went through it over the phone with the ATO yesterday and somewhere along the process (I think it was at the medicare tab) you fill in that you have no private health insurance and continue from there. Ring the ATO helpline, there's a number on your tax statement. they were extremely helpful.
    Just take note of the page number on the bottom left hand corner e-tax programme, it will help them know where exactly you are in the process.

digiman wrote: »
    I should be medicare exempt as I am on a 457 visa and don't get medicare, but with filling out the tax online I don't think I am doing it right to get the exemption. What do I need to click on the online form to be able to get this?
    In the comprehensive tax calculator, On the second screen you have to click "yes" for Medicare levy Reduction/exemption. Simply clicking no for medicare levy doesn't work.
    Maybe its similar to that in eTax

It's the E-tax program that I am using Mellor.

you might have to input 365 days for medicare exemption and put C in the Box

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85858014&postcount=154

I have it working now, on screen 7416 I had 0 days for "you did not have any dependants for that period" once I changed this to 365 it took it off. My tax back is looking a lot better now I have to say :)

• Advertisement

catbear wrote: »
    Posted off my medicare exemption application over a month ago, rang them Friday and they said it could take another few weeks as there's a huge backlog.
    finally got medicare exemption cert today after six weeks. If anyone is still waiting by the end of next week ring the ATO for a extension for submitting your tax return.

Advertisement