Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian tax thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Kiith wrote: »
    Right, doing it myself as i can't be arsed going to an accountant.

Question about the medicare exemption though...it says enter the number of days i was in that category. Is that literally the amount of days i've worked, or do i put in the full year?

The amout of days you have been in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

mandrake04 wrote: »
    The amout of days you have been in the country.

Are you sure about that mandrake? I could be mistaken, but I thought I put down 366 last year, even though I was only in the country 9/10 months. It's possible I'm remembering it wrong though.

Are you sure about that mandrake? I could be mistaken, but I thought I put down 366 last year, even though I was only in the country 9/10 months. It's possible I'm remembering it wrong though.

Sorry you are right full exemption is 365

You could C in the claim box

If you were a temporary resident for Medicare
    purposes and have a certificate from the Medicare
    Levy Exemption Certification Unit of Medicare
    (see Category 3) print C in the CLAIM TYPE box.
    Otherwise leave the CLAIM TYPE box blank.
    We will work out your exemption entitlement.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hmm, too late. I put in the amount of days i've been here for. It still came up with (what i assume) was the correct amount though, or at least what i was expecting in ta back. Hopefully it won't matter too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭darcy07

how do i go about getting a medicare exemption levy did my tax up and says im only owed 40 dollars said i had a medicare levy which i dont yet and says im owed 600 might be worth getting

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Hmm, too late. I put in the amount of days i've been here for. It still came up with (what i assume) was the correct amount though, or at least what i was expecting in ta back. Hopefully it won't matter too much.

Sorry dude, you can still check if you paid any medicare levy because it will show in the medicare levy box on the summary.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Apollo_Creed

Hi guys,

Great thread.
    I'm claiming taxback for a friend using the etax.
    With regard to the medicare exemption cert, he didn't apply for the exemption last year and wants to claim back this years and last years.
    Can I claim last years using etax?

Can anyone help me out on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

Can anyone help me out on this one?

when you say this year and last year - do you mean 2013 tax return & 2012 tax return? ie years ending june 12 & june 13

if you do, did he already file a tax return for 2012?
    If he did - I don't think you can do an amended return on e-tax so you will have to print the form and send it to the ATO, prob better to drop a letter with it declaring it is an amended return

For 2013, assuming no tax return yet submitted, just use e-tax to submit

Legend100 wrote: »
    when you say this year and last year - do you mean 2013 tax return & 2012 tax return? ie years ending june 12 & june 13

if you do, did he already file a tax return for 2012?
    If he did - I don't think you can do an amended return on e-tax so you will have to print the form and send it to the ATO, prob better to drop a letter with it declaring it is an amended return

For 2013, assuming no tax return yet submitted, just use e-tax to submit

Yeah, meet y/e june 2012 and june 2013.

Yes, he did put in a tax return for 2012, when you say print the form, what form are you talking about? The medicare exemption cert??

Using e-tax for 2013 tax return.

Thanks for your help.

Yeah, meet y/e june 2012 and june 2013.

Yes, he did put in a tax return for 2012, when you say print the form, what form are you talking about? The medicare exemption cert??

Using e-tax for 2013 tax return.

Thanks for your help.

No I mean a paper tax return form for 2012.
    The medicare exemption cert is only a backup document for your return, i.e. proof you are able to claim an exemption to medicare just like you need proof of any donations you claim with a donation receipt from the charity.

I take it what you mean is that your friend did not claim exemption from medicare levy in 2012 in their tax return. If this is the case - you need to submit an amended paper tax return to the ATO for 2012. You don't need to submit the medicare exemption cert - it is only required if requested by the ATO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 chrisypaty

Hello,

I became an aus resident in January.

In part A2 - Other items - Part-year tax-free thresholdin 2012/13 did you become an Australian resident? Do I click yes for this part?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 john.co

Just want to say thanks to everyone who posted info on Tax Returns on this thread (and previous years). Submitted mine and my gf's a fortnight ago by post and hers landed in bank account over the weekend. :D

(since we both submitted the exact same info, I'm assuming it's just a banking transfer delay and mine is on the way...hopefully!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

I submitted my tax return through etax. its been a few weeks so I contacted them to query the delay. They now say ive been chosen for a random tax audit. they say I probably won't get my refund until mid October?

does anybody have any idea why this would be the case? im extremely p'd off right now as ive been trying without success to find a job in brisbane for a few weeks now. My second year visa took a few weeks to process so its all money gone out the window.

nothings going right at the minute

LaHaine wrote: »
    I submitted my tax return through etax. its been a few weeks so I contacted them to query the delay. They now say ive been chosen for a random tax audit. they say I probably won't get my refund until mid October?

does anybody have any idea why this would be the case? im extremely p'd off right now as ive been trying without success to find a job in brisbane for a few weeks now. My second year visa took a few weeks to process so its all money gone out the window.

nothings going right at the minute

To be honest, it is rarely a random audit, the computer probably flagged something for verification purposes. I was looking at the 2013 stats the other day and there has already been over 30,000 returns been put forward for checking due to possible fraudulent claims.

Did you make any "big" expense claims?

Could possibly be occupation related.
    Each year the Australian Tax Office picks out a number of occupations and uses them as a target to investigate their tax returns in more detail. The target is usually based on occupations which have had problems with tax returns in previous years.

The Major jobs on target for this financial year 2012/2013 are Sales Managers, Marketing Managers, Building Construction Managers and building labourers. The Australian Tax Office has already sent out over 218,000 letters to people living and working in Australia in those fields.

Nothing out of the ordinary.

I worked as a temp and then two jobs farming for regional work. claiming tax back for those jobs.

I claimed 110 dollars for high vis shirts and boots which were required for farm work . Thats the only expense. And that was a modest estimate as I didn't want to take the p*ss.

Nothing out of the ordinary.

I worked as a temp and then two jobs farming for regional work. claiming tax back for those jobs.

I claimed 110 dollars for high vis shirts and boots which were required for farm work . Thats the only expense. And that was a modest estimate as I didn't want to take the p*ss.

Was that 110 on top of the 300 without receipts or did you only claim the 110?

just the 110

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭poodles

You will get a letter in the post asking for receipts for anything you have claimed.

If you do not have receipts you will be able to withdraw the claim.
    You will be fined for this if you are not able to provide a receipt. However you *might* get this waived as a good will gesture if it was your first time being audited / getting caught.

You should get your tax back around October - November.

Fine was under $200 iirc

• Advertisement

poodles wrote: »
    You will get a letter in the post asking for receipts for anything you have claimed.

If you do not have receipts you will be able to withdraw the claim.
    You will be fined for this if you are not able to provide a receipt. However you *might* get this waived as a good will gesture if it was your first time being audited / getting caught.

You should get your tax back around October - November.

Why would I get a fine? My understanding was that you can claim up to 300 dollars without receipts?

Yea, as far as I can make out, you can claim up to $300 without receipts.

What was your total claims? $110 in total across your whole return?

could well just be a random audit in that case.

poodles wrote: »
    Yea, as far as I can make out, you can claim up to $300 without receipts.

What was your total claims? $110 in total across your whole return?

could well just be a random audit in that case.

Yes just $110. That's why its strange. Just bad luck maybe.

Yes just $110. That's why its strange. Just bad luck maybe.

you say you were on a 417 - when did you arrive?

did you put down resident for tax and only claim part of the threshold (not the entire amount)

you say you were on a 417 - when did you arrive?

did you put down resident for tax and only claim part of the threshold (not the entire amount)

Arrived last July. Resident for tax. Im not sure re threshold?

Arrived last July. Resident for tax. Im not sure re threshold?

July would mean you were here for the entire tax year so full threshold - providing you meet the residence criteria (they seem to be examining whv people for tax residence this year so it might be that)

other than that......you may actually be one of the random checks :)

July would mean you were here for the entire tax year so full threshold - providing you meet the residence criteria (they seem to be examining whv people for tax residence this year so it might be that)

other than that......you may actually be one of the random checks :)

Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jbpc

I'll be heading home in a couple of weeks, anyone know whats the score about filing my return for next year. do I need to do it now or whats the story??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Jbpc wrote: »
    I'll be heading home in a couple of weeks, anyone know whats the score about filing my return for next year. do I need to do it now or whats the story??

If you want your money back then yeah. Just fill out 2013 tax return (paper) cross off 2013 and replace with 2014 and mail it in

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

I'm currently doing a return for a friend. She is a hairdresser, who is de facto on her boyfriends 457 visa, and hence is claiming medicare exemption.
    She has earned approx $47k and paid $7k tax.

I have claimed for a variety of expenses such as work uniform, laundry,shoes, salon expenses, PY tax return etc, and I'm coming out with a refund of approx $2,600.

Does this sound about right? I would have thought she would have got a bit extra give her expenses are about $3/4k...

Any input greatly appreciated.

Advertisement