Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian tax thread 2013

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

aido79 wrote: »
    To be eligible you would need to either have applied for PR or have PR or citizenship. You can only be ineligible in your case for the time you spent in Australia.

They may have changed it so. I thought I read before that you couldn't do the first one online.
    You have that backwards. You are ineligible once you apply for PR, have PR/Citizenship.
    If you aren't eligible you can get a Medicare Entitlement Statement to say as much. I've never had to pay the levy for time outside of australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

My holiday visa is up the first week in September, can I claim back any tax for July/August before I leave? The new tax on whvs comes in from July 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

minzabud wrote: »
    My holiday visa is up the first week in September, can I claim back any tax for July/August before I leave? The new tax on whvs comes in from July 2016?

Leaving myself in the next month or so and won't be returning so want to claim my Tax and Super early also, has anyone done this themselves? Really don't want to go through an agency as the price they usually quote is way to high

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Leaving myself in the next month or so and won't be returning so want to claim my Tax and Super early also, has anyone done this themselves? Really don't want to go through an agency as the price they usually quote is way to high

You can do all this yourself relatively easily. I helped a mate out with his early tax return. As paper tax returns arent issued until later in the tax year i was advised you just cross out 2015 on the tax return and write 2016. He received his refund within a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

jockey#1 wrote: »
    You can do all this yourself relatively easily. I helped a mate out with his early tax return. As paper tax returns arent issued until later in the tax year i was advised you just cross out 2015 on the tax return and write 2016. He received his refund within a few weeks.

Thanks, what's the story with Super? Is that pretty straightforward or do you have to show that you are not intending to return to Oz or request to cancel your Visa early so you can claim it? I have been giving various mixed reports from lots of different people over here, all of them very confusing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Remember that super is paid into your account quarterly so wait 3 months or you may miss out on some payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

My mate done it himself. I think you need to prove that you are not coming back, i.e visa has expired or cancellation of PR. Also there is a tax of 35% or thereabouts so you will need to factor that in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

minzabud wrote: »

The new tax rules for WHV only apply for work down after july 2016.
    whether you apply for this July/August after you leave in september, of after next july it won't affect your tax return.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

I've left australia and have my 2015/2016 group certificate for the work i done start of July.

Can I enter an early tax return on the ATO website? I've just completed the 14/15 tax return on the portal no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

hey I've a mate who was here in 2012 who never claimed his tax back for a year 2012/2013. He misplaced 1 of his group certificates but has the other 2 for that tax year.

how can he get that other group cert as that company is no longer around?

and whats his best way for applying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

people of perth!!!!

who do you rate as better for doing a tax return with....

Mary Pike or Danny Chan????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

niva*sis wrote: »
    people of perth!!!!

who do you rate as better for doing a tax return with....

Mary Pike or Danny Chan????

You could do it yourself.

catbear wrote: »
    You could do it yourself.

Thanks Catbear but I prefer to go to accountants as they know what you can and cant claim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

I've used Mike Allely in Melbourne a few times. All done by email since first meeting so nice and handy.

Google Melbourne Tax Agent and you'll get him.

Can anyone tell me what affect a fringe benefit has on your payment summary when claiming tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

niva*sis wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what affect a fringe benefit has on your payment summary when claiming tax?

None

Bold Abdu wrote: »
    I've used Mike Allely in Melbourne a few times. All done by email since first meeting so nice and handy.

Google Melbourne Tax Agent and you'll get him.

Hi bold abdu
    Is he good at what u can and can't claim for? If I was doing it myself I wouldn't have a clue in terms of using my laptop and wifi claims and work clothes.

Advertisement