Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I'll be driving past just after a work. Finish at 4:30 and work about 16 seconds away from the place. I'll keep an eye out in the car park :D

Can't miss it, dirty blue CMax covered in dings and sh*te and big mileage. Just like the owner! :cool:

edit:
    This is the last time I announce my dinner plans in class! :D

Can't miss it, dirty blue CMax covered in dings and sh*te and big mileage. Just like the owner! :cool:

Can't miss mine either. Manky wine S60 with traces of mud from a festival car park that I was at nearly 2 months ago up the side of it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Saying that, it was a disgrace what was in there when I bought it first. Horrific.

I recently got a 2006 Skoda Octavia, the amount of shíte, leaves and dust that fell out when I removed the old pollen filter was ridiculous.

This is the comparison with the new 1 and this is after I had hoovered most of the crap out of the old 1 until I got a new one:

VbQf56W.jpg

(Date on the old filter suggests it's the original one from when the car was factory new too, ewh.)

Had one like that in my old corolla. It was so manky that it restricted the pressure from the blowers. Back then I was clueless. Eventually pulled the filter out and half a forest came out with it. I reckon it was never changed so it was probably 8 years old at the time.

The pollen filter on the cmax is such a pain to get out, I pulled it out and never bothered with it again.

• Advertisement

The pollen filter on the cmax is such a pain to get out, I pulled it out and never bothered with it again.

Handy out in the Octavia. 2 hand screws under the passenger footwell, a little clip and it's out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

All the filth you see in the old one would be in your lungs if it wasn't for that filter so yes...they do a fair bit!

Patww79 wrote: »
    All the filth you see in the old one would be in your lungs if it wasn't for that filter so yes...they do a fair bit!

I was sneezing a lot too whilst in the car before I swapped out the old for the new one.

I could be wrong but cars fog up like a bastard without them too don't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

That's why I only ever touched my A3 one once. You would dislocate your back getting to where it is in the foot well.

Do they even do much anyway?

The a4 is a pain in the arse as well I'm tiny and it was still a pain to bend into the foot well I'd say it was the first change in its 6 years.

I could be wrong but cars fog up like a bastard without them too don't they?

More the other way round, if the filter is blocked, you won't see much out the windows.

More the other way round, if the filter is blocked, you won't see much out the windows.

Thats what I meant :o :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Got the auxiliary water pump changed, along with the rad. That pump was way over due...

cooling1.jpg
    cooling2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Two quick fixes today on the Punto.

1) You could open the bonnet only if you "lifted" it up first. Otherwise it made no sound and did nothing. Discovered these rubber things which I twisted to get them higher and now it opens and closes properly.
    21627528536_c20e7d031c_b.jpg

2) And this. Before:
    21465764248_9b97c01f2c_b.jpg

After:
    21465763938_3bf462bbb2_b.jpg

Also, after replacing headlights, tail lights, bulbs in the headlights, w5w bulbs in the wings and briefly cleaning the tail light connections the indicators still blink quicker than they should. It's quite annoying. Would the NCT say anything about this?

OK, to make NCT man happy, I had to put new splash guards in behind the rear brake discs. Of course these things never go according to plan.
    One bolt stripped it's head as I was undoing it and what followed was 4 or 5 hours solid of crawling underneat, drilling the bolt, crawling out when I couldn't hold the drill anymore (lousy Lidl drillbits, wouldn't cut through a block of butter), bashing it from the other side, hoping it'll bend or snap, going at it with a crowbar (which actually broke a tooth), hammering in screwdrivers (also a name for F1 groupies) to create a gap and finally managing to slip in a hacksaw blade and slowly cutting the bolt over half an hour.
    The exact same sh*t that happened last time, basically.
    Once everything was out, I noticed that the discs (orignal) were in absolute sh*t and had to be replaced, as well as the pads.
    That was annoying, because were it not for the fact that only one single pad had worn to the metal and the others were still 50%, I could have gotten away with it.
    And a wheelbearing is already grumbling, but it was not in the budget this time, so I am already looking forward to doing all this sh*t again within the next 6 months or so. :mad:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/303951/363131.jpg

As it was

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/303951/363133.jpg

All new and shiny

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/303951/363132.jpg

Seriously, I don't know what they mean, rusty. There's barely a mark on it, I can't tell which one's which!

Quoting myself, but just back from the NCT, passed without a further problem.
    And because I managed to pass before October, I got a cert for 2 years from today, instead of a 1 year cert from January.
    So no more worries until September 2017, when I probably won't be owning it anymore, because I don''t know how far past 500k km the engine and gearbox will go. Or I will still own it by then and it will be in the paper as a million mile machine. :D

bmstuff, that is one tidy engine bay, I'd eat my dinner off that, but I'm sure you wouldn't allow that! :D
    Also, not eating your dinner out of the engine bay being one of the secrets of keeping it clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

GvidoR wrote:
    2) And this. Before:

That'll only come back again, unless you re selaed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I didn't reseal them. Might just get a pair from breakers, they can't be expensive surely!?

I'll most likely be getting a wing so it'll come with it, I guess.

You can say that again!

Quoting myself, but just back from the NCT, passed without a further problem.
    And because I managed to pass before October, I got a cert for 2 years from today, instead of a 1 year cert from January.
    So no more worries until September 2017, when I probably won't be owning it anymore, because I don''t know how far past 500k km the engine and gearbox will go. Or I will still own it by then and it will be in the paper as a million mile machine. :D

Nice one. I left through the other exit today because I had to get petrol in the topaz prefab so didn't see your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

GvidoR wrote:
    I didn't reseal them. Might just get a pair from breakers, they can't be expensive surely!?

Ah no a few beans will sort it out. Wouldn't surprise me if some tight one didn't include the side repeater with a wing.

Nice one. I left through the other exit today because I had to get petrol in the topaz prefab so didn't see your car.

Ah, excuses! :cool::P
    I was too busy fretting, in the end it was all a bit of an anti-climx anyway. They got one more lot of money out of me, so didn't care beyond that.
    Well, that's that sh*t dealt with for another 2 years.
    So over to her car, it failed on broken, corroded rear springs. They looked fine from a quick inspection, it's the very tops of them that looks bad, I didn't spot it. So 2 new springs and 2 new tires (also failed), plus whatever else is going "gloing" in her suspension...
    This sh*t just never ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

bmstuff wrote: »
    Got the auxiliary water pump changed, along with the rad. That pump was way over due...

Why did they put in an auxillary one? Are the main ones that prone to failure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Cabin heating, air conditioning
    Anything can fail really, rad, expansion bottle, valley pan in my case etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Aux. water pumps in BMWs are a joke, they fail all day long. It turns on and off as required when the main water pump isn't turning fast enough or when the cabin demands more hot coolant in the heating matrix. It also allows higher spec models to operate cabin heating with the engine switched off.

Anyways, did some work myself today, brake fluid replacement was due this week according to the schedule so got the good aul Eezibleed kit out.

Biggest part of this job is getting the wheels on and off, a ramp is definitely on the cards:

20150924_1300155_zpskx8hxw6v.jpg~original

20150924_1258124_zpssq5xyhfb.jpg~original

Gave the wheels a good cleaning whilst I had them off:

20150924_15562114_zpsyykdopp5.jpg~original

Before starting I also wanted to sort the colour of the brake discs, they'd become rusted and nasty looking:

20150924_1249312_zps55l3mldx.jpg~original

20150924_1245111_zps6nbzumof.jpg~original

Three coats of silver alloy paint and they look much better:

20150924_1257243_zps9rbvf1ep.jpg~original

On to the bleeding, this came out of the resevoir:

20150924_1311426_zpshtwpfpmm.jpg~original

Using the spare as the air source for the brake bleed kit:

20150924_1326517_zpsmdyzrjdx.jpg~original

20150924_1331098_zpsrbsjhskq.jpg~original

Rear:

20150924_1337149_zpstimcv0nj.jpg~original

Front:

20150924_13545911_zpsba9n3kki.jpg~original

All done, 1 litre of nasty fluid:

20150924_14251612_zpsyy97yvxc.jpg~original

Wheels look like new now:

20150924_16565615_zpsluzl3kks.jpg~original

20150924_16571716_zpsufsy2bst.jpg~original

20150924_16585517_zps2cxw56kn.jpg~original

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

The brakes on my mondeo have gone the same way I was going to use the hi heat hammerite stuff on them and the caliper to freshen then up has anyone else used hammerite this way?

Also what product ya use to clean your wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Hammerite goes on quite thick, not sure what finish you'd get as their might be brush strokes visible.

I keep my wheels cleaned weekly, so used nothing more than car shampoo and water. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

With the smooth finish hammerite direct to rust paint, it's made to be applied with a brush and to dry smooth with no brush strokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement

You should chance brakes sometime. There really is very little too it. Have someone who knows what they're doing with you to show you. Watch numerous DIY videos on Youtube. You'll be wondering why you ever fussed over it. Saying that, I can completely understand why you wouldn't want to take the chance.

Advertisement