Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Why :confused:

No sparks!
    Plus with a shakey hand its possible to blow the bollix out of the system you are trying to replace the fuse on:p Normally cars are ok but generally with anything electronic you dont replace fuses with the system on!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Went out to fix the horn on the car, blew the fuse, so I will have to wait till tomorrow to get a new fuse.

Well I took a spin down to Halfords in Castlebar. Got a new fuse and new horn. Fitted it and it's nice and loud. They had air horns as well but in the end just went for a loud stock one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Fitted a track rod and brake hoses for the Nct retest and an altenator belt too.

8ag9.jpg

bought this yoke from woodies to crack the inner.
    k4kv.jpg

Then this not so new lad to screw it out. "Needs a special tool" me hole. Just about enough room though.
    d5ko.jpg

rai7.jpg

x9rh.jpg

Came up with a tidier way for doin the hoses. Clamp the bottom before removing the bottom fitting. Fit the new hoses. Then quickly undo and replace the top fitting. Made a lot less of a mess than before anyway.
    vk58.jpg

0i3h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Well I finally got the C5 back from the garage after 4 days with the Octavia (200K miles and an engine light on, still drove quite well although v. loud).

So I updated the maps to the 2013 version (so I can see my own house now instead of fields) and ran a wee firmware update too - I'm liking all the tech stuff!

QSAbsG4.jpg

It also cruised through it's NCT so I don't have to worry about it now for more than 2 years. Had a scare because after a droplink was changed, the mechanic in question put the wheel back on with hand tightened bolts and I thought my wheel was going to come off (drove the M50 home too, I thought it was just the tracking initially. So I promptly rang the garage and let them know how I was not happy about it) but it's fine now, I drove as slow as possible.

LIhfUkZ.jpg

Anyway, I'm chuffed to bits with the C5, just passing 100K miles with 6 garage stamped services in the books.

My timing belt / pump was done at 60K miles which I thought was quite early, what's the average miles on the 1.6 HDI before it should be normally changed? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

Removed sun strip, stuck in all the original bulbs, heading for a service and valet tomorrow, DOE Wednesday morning should fly it. Will be putting a new sun strip on when it does, not a 100% tinted one, I'll go 80 or 90%, then will throw on the mudflaps too. That'll be me finished with all mods I'm happy enough with it. Am saving at the moment for the new yoke, wont be til next year though, so no point sticking unnecessary money into this (unless it's mechanically of course). Happy out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

The new yoke? What will she be? :)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Washed and waxed the car yesterday. Hadn't been done in about a month. Said if I didn't wax it now, would be a looooong time before I can do it again.

20130910_081545.jpg

Used the Meguiar's Tech Wax that I got on offer, rather than the Collinite I used last time. Went on / off fairly easy.

advertsfox wrote: »
    The new yoke? What will she be? :)

With all going to plan, an Abarth Grande Punto Super Sport 1.4 Turbo 180hp. Over to England next summer bring her in lots available there. For around 8k pound can get a 08,09 with low milage. One of my dream cars actually, can tick it off the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

rizzee wrote: »
    With all going to plan, an Abarth Grande Punto Super Sport 1.4 Turbo 180hp. Over to England next summer bring her in lots available there. For around 8k pound can get a 08,09 with low milage. One of my dream cars actually, can tick it off the list!

8k pound seems like an awful lot to me even for that version.

Getting near mk6 gti money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

8k pound seems like an awful lot to me even for that version.

Getting near mk6 gti money

Yes but the punto would be a rarer sight on the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Not a Fiat fan so that alone would never win me over.
    They just give off the wrong vibe to me or something, my head still thinks of uno's and brava's when I think of Fiat though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I aligned my gear selector cable. It goes through all the gears with ease now woohoo :).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Yes but the punto would be a rarer sight on the road

Would you pay 10000 euros + vrt for a 08 example though ? I know I wouldn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I would if I had the cash. F*ck what others think and would or wouldn't do, my choice what I want :p

I wouldnt pay that for a GTI either though !

I like odd cars, that dont make sense to others. This would be what would draw me to the abarth fiat range. Now if only they were RWD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I wouldnt pay that for a GTI either though !

I like odd cars, that dont make sense to others. This would be what would draw me to the abarth fiat range. Now if only they were RWD :D

Nothing at all odd about a golf or 535d, quite the contrary actually :P :pac:

Nothing at all odd about a golf or 535d, quite the contrary actually :P :pac:

The odd part about the 535d is the pace combined with the black smoke, and that the driver is half the age of the average driver ;)

Wouldn't go for a Golf at all. Nice car but far too common. A GTI isn't for me i'm afraid... Plus i'm a huge fan of the Puntos (On my second now and the father has a GP too the last 5 years). FIAT... Fcuk It's A Turbo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

rizzee wrote: »
    Wouldn't go for a Golf at all. Nice car but far too common. A GTI isn't for me i'm afraid... Plus i'm a huge fan of the Puntos (On my second now and the father has a GP too the last 5 years). FIAT... Fix it again tomorrow :D

FYP :D

Was waiting on someone to do that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Recently I picked up some sill strips for the Levin. As some of you know from my bitching and moaning I drove a long way to get them, wasn'thappy with the condition of them when I got there but after traveling so far I felt like I couldn't leave empty handed :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, This is them as I got them.

210662F817314C03989511CAB603DEFA-0000363222-0003360773-00800L-DCEE51DDC52B4ED1ADA5367DE599E9EF.jpg

C51952B23FE148F99D50532B21CA4E07-0000363222-0003360772-00800L-5B79AE2EFFF14776A20EE2D36EADF6D1.jpg

As you can see they were totally destroyed with light scratches.
    So I went to work on them with a bit of metal polish and a little polishing wheel on a dremel. It took about 2 hours for each one.

During
    12095849B0084403A0DD403557EF473F-0000363222-0003365664-00800L-4215F8D2173E4CFE951AD4643CEEF2B8.jpg

They're not perfect by a long way and I'm sure that a profesional could have done much better job but I just couldn't justify putting more money into them atm.

After
    5E72737DF4184C429C74231CA52E1B76-0000363222-0003365662-00800L-7517D0119BC247A280EFEE9336AB83E0.jpg

8D095DCDD16D4806B7F2ED9CD40A0D5B-0000363222-0003365661-00800L-0D7A45183C7841AC9103275EAD3E2537.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

More a work in progress if anything but here we go!

After the event of my door trim falling off and some stalking on another forum I decided they needed a new lease of life, so I figured I'd color code them to the cars color, I've decided to try matt black first and see what happens :)

As it was before any work done

2nm3mg7.jpg

2n8afdl.jpg

It was a bit faded but the lights just make it look better than it actually is :pac:

First port of call was cleaning it, with some surface cleaner :D I'm still learning with this paining lark
    Then sanding it with 140 grit and 600 for the finer details
    Then another clean

Followed by this ;)

dlqdm8.jpg

A little birdy told me without this the paint literally falls off down the line, so valuable lesson learned!
    Anyways! Primer

2evxi6a.jpg

After letting that dry I lightly sanded it, and i mean lightly, with 800 grit sand paper

And the end result

2q052ts.jpg

Next on the agenda is new fog light/headlight bulbs and a little present from Toyotafanboi :D

So what do ye think??

Flew through the DOE not a single advisory, happy days.

Wee bit of interior carbon.

Nice touches man :)

Cheers mate. Short and sweet :-)

I thought originally that it was carbon build up until I read it again :)
    I like little subtle things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

271605.jpg

All,

Couldn't recommend "3M headlight Restorer" enough
    After 220,000 Miles the Alfa's lights looked dull, cloudy and pitted. The light from them was awful and went in every direction except the road. A lot better now. 40 mins work and €20. How bad...

Pic is not great but hopefully shows the difference of before and after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

So after yesterdays little incident which i got taken care of, I stuck on the door trim!

Here's a little comparison, old on the left, new on the right

7640_593825237327874_712190530_n.jpg

So what do ye think?

I don't think my door will be as shiny as it is now ever again :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Nice job TP but did you lacquer them? If not, you'll have polish/wax sticking on them like the white mark on the left side in no time.

Advertisement