Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Probably a 318d m sport?

Nope....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Nope....

1 series. If it was anything better you'd tell us

ba_barabus wrote: »
    1 series. If it was anything better you'd tell us

No no.. it's definitely better than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

M3?

M3?

Not quite THAT good.. ok:

WP_20130917_004.jpg

2005 - Have to admit, definitely nicer than the base-spec 520d I had last time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Jesus my alfa has been more reliable. :P
    You've had awful luck with the a6's kaiser. At least the sellers have stops over them!:)

Scortho wrote: »
    Jesus my alfa has been more reliable. :P
    You've had awful luck with the a6's kaiser. At least the sellers have stops over them!:)

True.. it's niggly annoying things which is even more frustrating

This time it's for an intermittent "headlight range control" error and the Parking brake has come up with a failure warning a few times (if it's anything like my old Passat it could be the calipers or the switch)

Not so niggly though is the apparently well-known V6 chain rattle that affects early A6's/A8's .. loud rattle for a few seconds on start-up as the tensioner slackens when it's off.. runs fine after that but apparently can deteriorate into slower to kick-over, pausing on ignition and in the worst case the chain snaps.

Still that's why I have warranty and they've been told I expect everything fixed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

[IMG][/img]N75Valve015.jpg

[IMG][/img]N75Valve016.jpg
    [IMG][/img]N75Valve017.jpg
    [IMG][/img]N75Valve018.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Do tell. What the bejeasus ya up to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Do tell. What the bejeasus ya up to

EGR clean looks to me

One more reason why I blank em ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

dgt wrote: »
    EGR clean looks to me

One more reason why I blank em

mr. muscle VNT clean. Did it work out ardle?

Drove to dublin and back yesterday without one squeek from the back brakes. Early days but fingers crossed the wire brush/grease did the trick. Also discovered the van develops a slight speed wobble over 95mph. ARB bushings or something. Who cares :)

dgt wrote: »
    EGR clean looks to me

One more reason why I blank em ;)

Thought it might be but is he spraying it into the turbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Thought it might be but is he spraying it into the turbo

Dafuq am I on about, I meant vnt or wastegate :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Your all spot on, Mr Muscle Turbo Vane VNT Actuator clean that's a mouthful. Anyway got round to doing it eventually, this is actually the second time I've done it, only this time I have my trusted vacuum pump41gnCWDUkaL._SY450_.jpg, you will notice another silicone tube connected to the VNT,and I'm every couple of min's spinning the turbine with a small pick tool,, anyway I cant say I've had a great improvement in power, but my limp/safe mode seems to be cutting in later rather than sooner,and I'm no longer nearly down to 50mph over long inclines, more like just hitting the scale at 60mph as I start my levelling off or descent... More than likely this is due to my continuous vacuum action on my VNT!! I will let you all know how I get on when I hit it from EGR to Turbo inlet hole,just having a major issue with EGR bolt restrictions,but I think I've cracked it! apparently that's when you start to see REAL results.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

How long was that warranty Kaiser? Last I heard CQ did a 2 year warranty on all their 2nd hand cars. Part and parcel of the reason they're a touch on the expensive side.

How long was that warranty Kaiser? Last I heard CQ did a 2 year warranty on all their 2nd hand cars. Part and parcel of the reason they're a touch on the expensive side.

6 months "fully comp" warranty.. so far.
    I met the sales manager yesterday and told him we'd be discussing that when they've put her right.

In the meantime, I have this:

WP_20130918_003.jpg

WP_20130918_004.jpg

.. definitely nicer than the last example of an E60 I had. 2 questions though...

- How do you turn on the wing mirror heaters on these? :o
    - Is it just me or is the steering on these BMW's a lot heavier than the VAG cars?

mr. muscle VNT clean. Did it work out ardle?

Drove to dublin and back yesterday without one squeek from the back brakes. Early days but fingers crossed the wire brush/grease did the trick. Also discovered the van develops a slight speed wobble over 95mph. ARB bushings or something. Who cares :)

Increase tire wear.

Could be tracking too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

- How do you turn on the wing mirror heaters on these? :o

Pretty sure they come on with the heated rear screen. Always seems to clear them on mine.
    - Is it just me or is the steering on these BMW's a lot heavier than the VAG cars?

Usually find steering lighter on the BMW's than Audi's - because the front's are only steering BMW's rather than trying to pull the vehicle along as well.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Pretty sure they come on with the heated rear screen. Always seems to clear them on mine.
    Will have to check it again and see.

I did discover it has heated seats (seems to be half leather/half standard). Very nice on a cold morning like today!
    Usually find steering lighter on the BMW's than Audi's - because the front's are only steering BMW's rather than trying to pull the vehicle along as well.

Hmm.. definitely seems heavier but I'll live with it. Still not keen on the positioning of the window controls though and the seating position in general means you're further away from the doors which is awkward as a left-hander trying to press access badges to automatic gates in the car park :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

R.O.R wrote: »

+1
    Having driven two vag cars and now my e60, I would say there is no comparison in the steering. I could powerslide the e60 with one finger whereas driving the golf was a lot heavier and required action to turn the wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Max - what kind of fcuk acting do you be doing in that car?? :P

Kaiser - the mirrors heat up when you turn on the rear windscreen demister. You're having a fierce amount of trouble with these A6's :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Max Power1 wrote: »
    +1
    Having driven two vag cars and now my e60, I would say there is no comparison in the steering. I could powerslide the e60 with one finger whereas driving the golf was a lot heavier and required action to turn the wheel.

The 535d steering would be tighter and lighter though compared to a standard 520/530 because you have the sport mode enabled all the time on this model.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

Fitted twin exhausts on the Beemer!
    Excuse the filthy car, been too busy to wash it for weeks...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

weekaizer wrote: »
    Fitted twin exhausts on the Beemer!
    Excuse the filthy car, been too busy to wash it for weeks...

Looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Today, I proudly accepted the retard of the year award.

Went to install my lovely new €130 dashcam this evening, started by removing my old Roadhawk. Installed it the same way as I had the Roadhawk, wired into the auto dimming mirror behind a panel in the headliner.

Cut a meter off the power cable, checked the polarity of the cables with a multimeter, ditched the cigarette lighter attachment and wired it straight into the mirror's 12V power line.

Turned on the ignition to test it out, white screen, fizzle fizzle, red LED. Dumbass here didn't check to see what the input power of the camera was. 5V apparently, not 12V. There's even a nice little sticker on the cigarette lighter attachment that I threw away saying 5V output.

Absolutely sick. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Today, I proudly accepted the retard of the year award.

Went to install my lovely new €130 dashcam this evening, started by removing my old Roadhawk. Installed it the same way as I had the Roadhawk, wired into the auto dimming mirror behind a panel in the headliner.

Cut a meter off the power cable, checked the polarity of the cables with a multimeter, ditched the cigarette lighter attachment and wired it straight into the mirror's 12V power line.

Turned on the ignition to test it out, white screen, fizzle fizzle, red LED. Dumbass here didn't check to see what the input power of the camera was. 5V apparently, not 12V. There's even a nice little sticker on the cigarette lighter attachment that I threw away saying 5V output.

Absolutely sick. :(

Bad buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

done an auld deal on an original toyota rear strut brace. pretty much the biggest thing i've always wished the starlet had. i know it makes sweet f-a difference in reality but my OCD hurt having the front brace but not the rear. (google image)

image_zps577831a2.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Awesome :cool:

The car. You got to love those F10. They are beautiful cars.

1.JPG
    2.JPG

Replacing rear speakers
    3.JPG

Original speaker is made in China...
    5.JPG-

New speaker (coax 2 ways), which turned out to be problematic to put the cover back. So I ended up fitting a component one.
    6.JPG
    7.JPG

Removing the door card and fitting the new components speakers (Midrange + tweeter)

9.JPG
    11.JPG

Some foam to wrap electrical wires etc so there is no ratle.
    And some sound deadening material too of course.

12.JPG
    18.JPG

Some new subwoofers now

14.JPG
    15.JPG
    16.JPG
    17.JPG
    19.JPG

• Advertisement

Job done.
    A much improved sound system. Even without an amplifier.
    The amplifier will make it sound and handle even better, especially at high volume.
    Clarity is clearly present now. A seriously improved and tighter bass makes you want to play those tunes loud now.

20.JPG
    21.JPG

Advertisement