Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Nice job TP but did you lacquer them? If not, you'll have polish/wax sticking on them like the white mark on the left side in no time.

Noob comment incoming, I heard that you don't need to lacquer matt paint, as it takes away from the "mattness"

But if you do, I can get them off and lay a few coats on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

You're right, lacquering matt paint will make it glossy but you will get polish sticking to it if you leave it matt.

You're right, lacquering matt paint will make it glossy but you will get polish sticking to it if you leave it matt.

Hmmm that is shall we say, a pickle? :pac:

I could take the trims off when I'm polishing it? they just slide out with a few clips, sure I'll think about it and see, car won't be getting cleaned for at least another month, I've to let the bumper get dirty and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...]

So what do ye think?

[...]

Methinks it's the time now to peel off 3 other door trims, clean'em up and paint the same way. :D

Changed oil, oil filter and air filter today. Ridiculously easy, why did I never do this before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Dónal wrote: »
    [...] why did I never do this before

That's the question. ;)

joujoujou wrote: »
    Methinks it's the time now to peel off 3 other door trims, clean'em up and paint the same way. :D

I will as soon as I have money again! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Did nothing except went for a bit of a spin (pics in the photo thread)

And filled up, broke the cead mark for the first time

1006361_10151851063064528_1062715319_n.jpg

:eek: You used applegreen!! Imposter!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Jesus no wonder you can afford a 535!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

:eek: You used applegreen!! Imposter!! :P

Muc fuel too. You really notice it in the responsiveness and miles to a tank on the gsxr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I agree, I always notice a difference! Never got it after my second stop there!

Maxol I find the best, gives such a boost to the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I used AG a few times but gives me the feeling it's been watered down lol :pac:. Just doesn't return the miles compared to others. I've been using maxol for the last 2 years now and can't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Lazybones

BuzzFish wrote: »
    271605.jpg

All,

Couldn't recommend "3M headlight Restorer" enough
    After 220,000 Miles the Alfa's lights looked dull, cloudy and pitted. The light from them was awful and went in every direction except the road. A lot better now. 40 mins work and €20. How bad...

Pic is not great but hopefully shows the difference of before and after.

Hi BuzzFish,

Great work on the headlights - I need to do the same on my passat.

Where did you buy the 3M Headlight Restorer? What was the cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I just used some compound to remove the fogging of the headlights. Did the trick a while back.

I just used some compound to remove the fogging of the headlights. Did the trick a while back.

Autosol would do as well id say.

All your doing is removing a corroded layer

Hal1 wrote: »
    I used AG a few times but gives me the feeling it's been watered down lol :pac:. Just doesn't return the miles compared to others. I've been using maxol for the last 2 years now and can't fault it.

Funny, I moved there from another station as I found an mpg improvement.
    Then again, the station I moved from was an EMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

I used drive eighty miles a day and noticed in those days that the different brands of petrol behave differently. I always found topaz gave the best mpg.

dh0011 wrote: »
    I used drive eighty miles a day and noticed in those days that the different brands of petrol behave differently. I always found topaz gave the best mpg.

But are they worth the 7-9 cpl difference between topaz and everyone else?

Standard diesel prices around me are 148-149 and the topaz around the corner is down to 153

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Max Power1 wrote: »

Standard diesel prices around me are 148-149 and the topaz around the corner is down to 153

Never noticed any difference in the the mpg with shell diesel and texaco esso etc. Going from a cheap station to topaz you will probably get 1-2 mpg more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

Max Power1 wrote: »

Prices are about the same between stations in my part of the country. Depends where you are. I filles up last where it was 158.9 for petrol at a topaz which is grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

The rear brakes on the van started sqeeking a few weeks ago after driving over an unmarked speed bump under construction one night :mad:. Since then I regularly get the the squeek, squeek, squeek when cruising over 55 mph. Lifting the handbrake a bit makes it stop. It was suggested that the pins might be dry and sticking but they are well greased and move in and out freely.

o6gt.jpg

Pads are old and rusty but still a few miles left in them. The disc doesn't seem warped and it doesn't feel particulary sticky when you spin the hub :confused:.

p84m.jpg

Greased the back of the pads and the piston face and brushed and scraped away any bad rust. Hopefully it's gone now as it's driving me and the dog mental.

Id be checking shocks and bushings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

The "Today I talked about different fuel franchises and the quality of their fuels" thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Lazybones

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Autosol would do as well id say.

All your doing is removing a corroded layer

Hi - thanks for the replies.

Which Autosol product do you recommend - I was just looking at their site:
    http://www.autosol.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1828

Thanks.

Go down to halfords or any motor factors ask for autosol. The basic metal polish

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Oil+filters+air filter in about 20mins today. Easy.

Stripped, cleaned, painted and rebuilt both front calipers on the Avensis a few weeks back. Horrible job but great to get rid of the squealing noise. I can see why people would just buy new calipers, the dust boot was a bitch to get seated.

In the last 2 weeks I done rafts of stuff.

Both track rod ends. Right shock top mount and bearing and dropped the shock on my toe.

For once the van drives straight.

Iv a suspicion one bushing has a touch of play.

Week on I get low pressure light so oil, oil filter and oil pressure switch. Had to make a special long socket on the lathe for it. Went for 5w40. I think the 5w30 might have been abit light for all the city driving

Found a timing chain cover bolt had unscrewed and was just off the side of the auxiliary belts. Lucky.

While I was waiting for suppliers to finish lunch I soldered the intermittent wipers connection in the stalk. Full wipers got old very fast.

Almost there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Another day, another Motor....

WP_20130917_002.jpg

Yep, my beloved A6 is "in the shop" again (I'm starting to think I'm jinxed), so I have another temp-mobile to play with.

Too dark for pics tonight, so any guesses in the meantime? :p

• Advertisement

Probably a 318d m sport?

Advertisement